daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #21
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
What, exactly, are E and F going to be?
Look like some kind of retail units with street frontage. E will probably have residential on top. I think they correspond to No. 4 in this link:

http://www.westfieldlondondevelopmen...masterplan.htm

Sponsored Links

Old February 28th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #22
JimB

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Currently looks like this

Not quite...

The park shown to the north of the Hammersmith and City Line (bottom of picture - we're looking north to south) isn't there at present.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #23
JimB

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Look like some kind of retail units with street frontage. E will probably have residential on top. I think they correspond to No. 4 in this link:

http://www.westfieldlondondevelopmen...masterplan.htm
F looks to be a bit of a weird one. From the plans, there does appear to be some extra square footage, but it's very narrow.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #24
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 326

Just seen this will take 20-years to complete. Although a large project this seems excessively long for its size. It's no Olympic Park or even a Kings Cross.
kerouac1848 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #25
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac1848 View Post
Just seen this will take 20-years to complete. Although a large project this seems excessively long for its size. It's no Olympic Park or even a Kings Cross.
I somehow doubt it. At the end of the day once the Mall is built, that nearly all the heavy work done. That can't take more than 4 years. Then all your left with is some blocks of flats. We are only talking about 1500 in total, a small amount for London, even in one scheme.

They would not want the flats to finish before the Mall opened but even 5 years later would be stretching it.

I wonder if they meant 20 years for the development not covered by this planning application. The land North of the Hammersmith and City line?
Rational Plan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #26
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 326

It appears ridiculous given the size and development on offer. The site is a mere fraction of the Olympic Park or Greenwich Peninsula.

Yet, on the phasing section of the website it says:

Quote:
Westfield has now submitted an outline planning application to the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. This is a 20-year build programme which will be delivered over a number of phases, as indicated in the diagrams above. Click the images to view larger versions.
Those diagrams only refer to the area south of the H&C line. It doesn't stack up.

Re. the area between this development and the Westway, It is one of the favoured sites for QPR's new ground (along side OOC) and they'd need at least 60% of it, probably more.

Last edited by kerouac1848; February 28th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
kerouac1848 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #27
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Even with all the stats, Westfield London will become the biggest shopping centre in the country
I don't know about that. New expansion which should start this year will take the Trafford Centre to just over 187,000sq m but there are also two other expansion plans for four large anchor stores. They'd be similar to the Marks and Spencers store in size so I'd guess anything it could increase to 205-210,000sq m to 224,000sq m depending on four stores sizes. Beyond that the owners have said its also future proofed for a 3rd floor in the main building. I'd guess these massive malls all have expansion plans in place. Either way I reckon we'll see either two or three break the 200,000sq m in the next ten years.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #28
cloudburst

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Nurse* View Post
Courtesy of Googlemaps:

Great Stuff, Thanks *Nurse*
cloudburst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #29
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 55

video here: http://www.westfieldlondondevelopment.co.uk/

This shows the order of the phasing over 20 years: http://www.westfieldlondondevelopment.co.uk/phasing.htm

woodgnome liked this post
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #30
delores

Likes (Received): 157

Looks impressive but 20 years? that's a very long time for the development.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #31
WtS

Likes (Received): 14

So with construction likely to begin in 2014 at the earliest can we expect the shopping expansion completed by 2016 at the earliest?
WtS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #32
Rational Plan

Well, Westfield have divested themselves of some of their smaller UK malls and development sites. I think this only leaves this site with any possibility of expansion.

If John Lewis are keen then imagine they will be keen to push on. But they have only recently opened Stratford, so they will be waiting on special deals they signed to get retailers to open here to expire and for the full cash flow to start pouring in start reducing their debts.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #33
jdjones
Citizen Not Subject

Likes (Received): 1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
Well, Westfield have divested themselves of some of their smaller UK malls and development sites. I think this only leaves this site with any possibility of expansion.

If John Lewis are keen then imagine they will be keen to push on. But they have only recently opened Stratford, so they will be waiting on special deals they signed to get retailers to open here to expire and for the full cash flow to start pouring in start reducing their debts.
The John Lewis Partnership have decided in recent years to concentrate of the John Lewis at Home format, saying Cardiff and Stratford are possibly the last stores of their sort for some time. At least that's what they told us in the Partnership magazine and then they decide to build a big John Lewis in Birtmingham!

I honestly think that Oxford Street and Peter Jones are too close to warrant a new store in West London, but the Partnership seems of late to be ignoring its partners fears and turning their back on their previous successful conservative stance. Hey, but what do I know! All I know is that over the recession it seems that Waitorse has been keeping the Partnership in the black, with pretty much every John Lewis store down on profits.
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #34
Rational Plan

Further schemes near Westfield Shepherds Bush

Imperial West is Imperial Colleges new campus. 600 new post graduate study rooms have already been finished and funding has just been announced for the new admin and laboratory buildings has been announced and construction about to start. You can see these as you head into town on the Westway, The most exciting will be the 32 storey sloping tower to help fund the scheme. Imperial is supposed to be also trying to by the 10 acre Marks & Spencer warehouse just north of the westfield expansion scheme.

So potential a real high rise campus here.

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #35
Rational Plan

Avivas dairy Crest site

a couple thousand units mainly 9 to 12 storey mansion blocks around a central square with a 16 and 32 storey towers. It looks quite classy. The tower is very classic New York with brick and terracotta

Old January 26th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #36
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 238

Andy Slaughter is a great local Labour MP. However, he has a personal aversion to anything over 6 storey. I can guarantee he will set up a group to fight this purely on the height of the tallest tower.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #37
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 12452

Well, here's the group against Imperial West: http://imperialfolly.org.uk/

Imperial West and Brickfields (the two projects above) are big enough to warrant their own individual threads in my opinion

-
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #38
Rational Plan

Imperial looks like a done deal to me as the 1st phase is built and 2nd just about to start.

Westfield expansion is approved.

I hope Brickfields goes through as the brick looks great.

I thought it might be good to keep all the Whitecity schemes together. While they are big they are not in central London and therefore will not be updated frequently.

Last edited by Rational Plan; January 26th, 2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old January 26th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #39
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 12452

Ah, something like the 'Greenwich Peninsula - Various projects' thread, but for White City... got ya

-
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #40
Glom

Likes (Received): 63

Those big buildings in front of the Westway really help it. Make it look more spacey as it flies through a futuristic metropolis rather than just a big concrete viaduct ramming its way through a humble residential area.
Glom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: