daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:21 PM   #21
gme

Likes (Received): 10

I can't post it here for copyright reasons, but there's a fantastic 3D render here on the Council's planning applications site.

I'm considerably more excited about this project now after seeing it
gme no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:40 PM   #22
G1p

Likes (Received): 33

This clarifies the position of the walkway. It continues between the SE building and the TIC. I withdraw my previous comment. Thanks gme!
G1p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:20 PM   #23
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due East View Post
Cheers - G1p. Didn't realise that.

Macruyff - was actually thinking why Scottish Power wouldn't locate their headquarters down here but lets not give them any ideas. I think they are probably the only ones with sufficient resources to do something decent with the Elphinstone site.
From what I'm hearing, Scottish Power are looking to make a statement in Glasgow and the Elphinstone site is perfect for doing that. Think about it, as you approach central Glasgow from the Airport / Kingston Bridge you will see the SP building looming ahead of you and you can bet they'll have some massive signage highlighting their presence. We've seen SSE arrive in Glasgow in a big way in terms of renewables and this is pretty much stepping on Scottish Power's home area. There are also many other renewables companies making Glasgow their home. The Clyde site wasn't going to have enough of an impact IMO and being tucked away in the Merchant City, while it would be relevant to their brief is also not right in terms of their ambitions - however, being right beside the M8 is! In any respect, the distance between George Street and St Vincent Street is negligible.
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:24 PM   #24
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by gme View Post
I can't post it here for copyright reasons, but there's a fantastic 3D render here on the Council's planning applications site.

The link you gave just takes me to one picture and i don't know how to find my way to the 3D render.
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM   #25
RapidTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
I think Glasgow is the perfect place for the research and office based facilities for the renewables "revolution" but I think it'd be good if the actual manufacturing of turbines was spread out to Dundee and other areas who are more in need.

On an unrelated note, with all of the different designs put forward thus far, can anybody say comprehensively what's going where on this site and when?
I agree and don't agree Ultima.

Glasgow is definitely the best location for the research and office based facilities!

I also agree that the likes of Dundee should be prioritised for the manufacturing jobs. However, I would also like to see Glasgow get in on some of those types of jobs too. The banks of the Clyde (further out) could easily become home to some manufacturing bases and Glasgow needs jobs such as these, big time! We have a bunch of people with very little qualifications who are struggling to find work and this is just the type of work they could easily be moved into. I find it a little annoying that the likes of Edinburgh (Port of Leith) is earmarked for this work - I've nothing against Edinburgh but they are in far far less need of these types of jobs than Dundee and Glasgow are, or indeed many other areas in Scotland.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:45 PM   #26
Due East

Likes (Received): 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTaco View Post
I agree and don't agree Ultima.

Glasgow is definitely the best location for the research and office based facilities!

I also agree that the likes of Dundee should be prioritised for the manufacturing jobs. However, I would also like to see Glasgow get in on some of those types of jobs too. The banks of the Clyde (further out) could easily become home to some manufacturing bases and Glasgow needs jobs such as these, big time! We have a bunch of people with very little qualifications who are struggling to find work and this is just the type of work they could easily be moved into. I find it a little annoying that the likes of Edinburgh (Port of Leith) is earmarked for this work - I've nothing against Edinburgh but they are in far far less need of these types of jobs than Dundee and Glasgow are, or indeed many other areas in Scotland.
I kind of agree with this. We could do the typical British thing and artificially spread out the bits of work here and there to please specific regions (often to the detriment of the industry), or we could let it all naturally congregate where it wants.

Its not as if Glasgow has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to manufacturing jobs. I say, let industry decide and if it picks Glasgow fine if it wants to go to Dundee, also fine.

I think i know where they would pick though.
Due East no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:58 PM   #27
RapidTaco

Quote:
I kind of agree with this. We could do the typical British thing and artificially spread out the bits of work here and there to please specific regions (often to the detriment of the industry), or we could let it all naturally congregate where it wants.

Its not as if Glasgow has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to manufacturing jobs. I say, let industry decide and if it picks Glasgow fine if it wants to go to Dundee, also fine.

I think i know where they would pick though.
We've got our fair share of manufacturing jobs in Glasgow but we need many more IMO. Just for the record, where do you think industry would pick for these jobs?
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #28
Gommsta

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendycfc View Post
The link you gave just takes me to one picture and i don't know how to find my way to the 3D render.
http://pdfserver3c.glasgowcitycounci...er=11/02040/DC

That's a list of documents relating to this proposal.
Gommsta está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #29
Ultima
Consider Deleted

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
We've got our fair share of manufacturing jobs in Glasgow but we need many more IMO. Just for the record, where do you think industry would pick for these jobs?
Given the clydeside at Glasgow's reputation for engineering and manufacturing there is no way Dundee could compete in bringing in jobs to that sector.
Ultima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #30
Ultima
Consider Deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gme View Post

So the slope building isn't happening now? Ah shit.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:36 PM   #31
Gommsta

Likes (Received): 167

Having just looked through all the plans, I can see no "skateboard" building.
Gommsta está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:52 PM   #32
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 243

Lol, nah no skateboard slope building happening, which was the previous concept of the masterplan, this is the one that has been passed and which i have uploaded earlier at the begining of the thread.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:36 PM   #33
Due East

Likes (Received): 403

Quote:
I think they would choose Glasgow without a second thought.

Its got an incredible infrastructure in place as a legacy from our heavy industry days, it has access to the Ocean (for transporting large turbines), it has a thick labour market and it will be the base for the majority of R&D effort. It just seems like a natural fit to me.

Not saying that Dundee or elsewhere couldn't pull it off, just that the stars have aligned on Glasgow for once. My point is that i don't think we should chuck tons of public money trying to get manufacturing bases to open in specific areas - i don't think it always works (look at silicon glen). Glasgow needs these jobs as much as anywhere else so i wouldn't feel bad about us being ruthless and taking them.

Ultimately the companies involved will pick the most suitable location - i say lets not interfere in this specific case (unless they threaten to go down south).
Due East no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:39 PM   #34
Ultima
Consider Deleted

Quote:
I think they would choose Glasgow without a second thought.

Its got an incredible infrastructure in place as a legacy from our heavy industry days, it has access to the Ocean (for transporting large turbines), it has a thick labour market and it will be the base for the majority of R&D effort. It just seems like a natural fit to me.

Not saying that Dundee or elsewhere couldn't pull it off, just that the stars have aligned on Glasgow for once. My point is that i don't think we should chuck tons of public money trying to get manufacturing bases to open in specific areas - i don't think it always works (look at silicon glen). Glasgow needs these jobs as much as anywhere else so i wouldn't feel bad about us being ruthless and taking them.

Ultimately the companies involved will pick the most suitable location - i say lets not interfere in this specific case (unless they threaten to go down south).
Given the shape and scale of the new triangular building, such a cosmic event could accidentally release Cthulhu. Be afraid.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:18 PM   #35
gmacruyff

Likes (Received): 290

Rapidtaco!.The problem i have with the Scottish Power plan,is that the area between St Vincent street,down to the Clyde(Kingstone bridge the west,Jamacia street to the east)is.long term,supposed to be the international finanacial district.
"Scottish power",would stand out like a sore thumb,among its financial neighbours.(not the first thing you want to see,entering Glasgow city centre)

The location,in and around the George street/high street(2 mins from the motorway junction at the Royal Infirmary and 5 mins from the new m74 extension/EERR at the gorbals,would be in its favour.Im just giving my gut instinct.!
gmacruyff está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:13 PM   #36
Chris99

Likes (Received): 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Riaz View Post
Why have they chosen Glasgow Chris ?
Glasgow's an obvious choice for research and office based operations I agree but it isn't mentioned as a potential manufacturing site in the National Renewables Infrastructure Plan. Have a look at the maps on page 18:-

http://www.scottish-enterprise.com/~...ture-plan.ashx
Chris99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:29 PM   #37
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris99 View Post
Glasgow's an obvious choice for research and office based operations I agree but it isn't mentioned as a potential manufacturing site in the National Renewables Infrastructure Plan. Have a look at the maps on page 18:-

http://www.scottish-enterprise.com/~...ture-plan.ashx
Its early days, cant see the decision makers letting the Manufacturing of new technologies get away from the city without establishing the huge infrastructure and manufacturing entity that already exists within the close proximities to the energy research centres, i'm surprised its not been established within that document, all the shipyards that we have and with that industry declining could easily acomodate any kind of new technology manufacturing base by far than it going to Hunterston or any other area.

Last edited by M_Riaz; September 23rd, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
M_Riaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #38
bestbud

Likes (Received): 1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1p View Post
The expensive walkway between George St and Ingram St, paid from EU funds, looks like it will be ripped up to make way for the TIC. What a waste of public money if this is the case!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1p View Post
This clarifies the position of the walkway. It continues between the SE building and the TIC. I withdraw my previous comment. Thanks gme!
You were right the first time. It will still exist but only after re-alignment. Those sets have been down for a grand total of 18 months, but I suppose it's a tiny cost in terms of the overall TIC cost, and a price worth paying.
bestbud está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:58 PM   #39
Steppish

Likes (Received): 160

The main manufactoring sites are basing on the east coast as the majority of the offshore sites are planned for off that coast (as i understand it).

Anyway, here's an interesting article on the whole thing from last Feb
http://www.economist.com/node/18178477

Also, hello!
Steppish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:04 PM   #40
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 303

Hello Steppish! Welcome to the forum.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: