daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #1
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

General Hall of Fame discussions

When it comes down to it, it's gonna be between the Chrysler Building and Empire State Building. I know who I'm picking. I'd like to remind people to just not vote a skyscraper as "best" just because of it's aesthetics, which most likely will happen with the Chrysler building.

Consider the other aspects involved. The history of the tower (every great tower has an amazing tale behind it), it's function/use, it's symbolism, it's worth and how much it contributes to the city and of course finally it's architecture.

For these other aspects which is why I'm picking the Empire State Building. I admit the Chrysler Building is far more beautiful, the best in the world.

However, the ESB lives, breathes, sleeps NYC, it led to the skyscraper lifestyle we see today. The city revolves so much around this building at times, it's the center and heart of the city, this is something I can't say about the Chrysler Building.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #2
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

Why can't I vote for a building just because of its aesthetics? "Best" means something different to everybody. You may find the ESB 'better' because of the reasons you posted, and I will find a different building 'better' because of my reasons, aesthetics or not.
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #3
New Jack City
User

It's true everyone has their own definition of something that's "best," but I think judging an overall skyscraper as "best" is much more than aesthetics. Otherwise, wouldn't the question have been, which skyscraper in NYC is most beautiful?
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5431

I go with SavetheWTC, but then I think Rockefeller Center is by far the best.
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #5
MCarr
Future after Past

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethewtc
The history of the tower (every great tower has an amazing tale behind it)
Why dont you tell us more about the tales of those towers?

The challenge is to find the right mix of reliability and flexibility and the right mix of tried-and-true techniques with novel but promising ideas.
MCarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:50 AM   #6
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Likes (Received): 130

I'll vote for ESB.

For me ESB is just THE skyscraper. The design of Chrysler Building is more elaborate, but a bit too much design thingies in it. ESB is just perfect. Great design, not overdone... and indeed, I find savethewtc's arguments also very valid.
Vertigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:55 AM   #7
Izeklah

Likes (Received): 0

I think I'm going to vote ESB. The Chrysler Building is absolutely, awesomely, beautiful-- but it's not what people think of when they think of NYC.
Izeklah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #8
Winus
heanig an

Likes (Received): 2

The Kingpin had an office in the Chrysler, Spiderman sometimes dropped by.
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #9
Fragmentor
Funky London

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarr
hhmm, hasnt said anything has he...
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:25 AM   #10
Islander
SSP Native

I was thinking about this too! Seems like everyone thinks "best" means only "most beautiful", when there is so much more to a skyscraper. It's the tale of the ESB that makes it, IMO, the best out there. It was the WTB for a record 41 years and won the title by more height than any other WTB, the world's tallest structure of any kind for more than half that time, was completed in only a year and a half during the great depression (a floor a day completed, and those floors are huge), and over 70 years after its completion, at 1,250 feet it's only about 200 feet shorter than the current WTB!
Of course, the Chrysler does beat the ESB in terms of looks (not easy to do either), and it was the WTB and tallest structure for a brief time, but aside from looks, I think ESB vs. Chrysler is a squash...

Last edited by Islander; November 9th, 2004 at 01:31 AM.
Islander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:51 AM   #11
noli

ESB is an ugly building with no style. It justs doesnt measure up to the Chrysler.
noli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #12
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreanczyk
ESB is an ugly building with no style.
What an idiotic statement to make.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #13
noli

I look at the ESB and I just dont see what the fuss is about. Is it because its old and tall? Seriously, the aesthetics are garbage IMVHO. I see the Chrysler and it is absolutely beautiful.
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #14
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
I look at the ESB and I just dont see what the fuss is about. Is it because its old and tall? Seriously, .
Lol ...

You make me laugh, you really do.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #15
noli

You make me laugh too. Keep on admiring a buiklding that would get laughed at if it wasnt for so called "history". Its an ugly building and an architectural failure. The ONLY thing it has on the Chrysler is height.
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #16
NYaddict
*Gotham*

The Empire Building was a giant when it was finished with construction.
it still is 2 times if not more higher then many cities' highest buildings while it's 70 years later.
thats amazing.

and without a doubt Chrysler is one of the most beautifull skyscrapers if not the most.
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:00 AM   #17
New Jack City
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarr
There's a bunch of stuff to read online and tv documentaries of them are excellent.

The ESB - Rising in the midst of the depression, was a part of the 3-way skyscraper race between 40 Wall St. and the Chrysler building. There's the stories of the acrobats and jugglers on the steel during the construction. The historic record time it was built in a span of 4.5 floors per week. The whole concept of the mooring mast and how it was tried once. The B-25 bomber incident, there's so much.

The Chrysler Building - Who could forget the story about how they were constructing the spire secretly inside the tower to eclipse 40 Wall St. and become the world's tallest for a brief period of time. William Van Alen dressing up with the Chrysler building's top as his hat, his big fight with Walter P. Chrysler over the money he was owed for his services, the original private lounge called "Cloud Club," Walter P. Chrysler's toolbox, the car show at the lobby each month.

Really, these buildings go way beyond aesthetics.
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:36 AM   #18
3tmk
Rusty Robot

good point, that's why I put in Bloomberg tower, since I witnessed it's construction, I feel a sense of bond with it, and same goes with Metlife, it has one of the best spots and characterizes free-thinking NYC IMO
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #19
noli

The differenve between the ESB and the Chrysler is in the top portion. In the Chrysler the spire and the roof and the building just blend together so perfectly and it all jyst looks great. The ESB's spire is ugly as sin, it just doesnt look good up there. The Chrysler is really beautiful, the ESB only has the height going for it.
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #20
Islander
SSP Native

Quote:
The Chrysler is really beautiful, the ESB only has the height going for it.
You still seem to think that there are only two things that make a skyscraper: beauty and height. The whole point of this thread is that can be much, much more to skyscrapers than just those two things. For example, pretend that a "clone" of the Empire State Building has recently been completed across the street from the original. Which ESB is more impressive? Their heights and aesthetics are identical, so neither is better than the other, right? Absolutely not! If you read some of the posts in this thread you can learn a lot about what makes the ESB stand out in the world of skyscrapers. Between the clone and the original, while being visually identical, the original is 1,000 times as impressive, and that's proof that height and looks are far from everything.

Another anology: a baseball hit out of the ballpark, and then signed, by Babe Ruth. I bet you'd say "Whoopdedoo, it got smacked really hard by a peice of wood and now there's some ink on it, it's no more valuable than any ordinary baseball", when it's actually worth tens of thousands of dollars!