daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2004, 09:54 PM   #21
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

^ Well said, Islander.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #22
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
Another anology: a baseball hit out of the ballpark, and then signed, by Babe Ruth. I bet you'd say "Whoopdedoo, it got smacked really hard by a peice of wood and now there's some ink on it, it's no more valuable than any ordinary baseball", when it's actually worth tens of thousands of dollars!

That analogy is only half of the truth though. Although it may or may not have a value of tens of thousands of dollars, not everybody is willing to spend that much money on "something that got smacked really hard by a piece of wood with ink on it". So you have to seperate actual and personal value.
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #23
noli

Likes (Received): 0

No one would bother building a clone of the ESB. It is an architectural monstrosity with no style. The only thing it has going for it is the height title it held for so long and subjective feelings of nostalgia. Im not from NYC so I can seperate myself from the nostalgia and look at the ESB like I would at any other scraper in the world. In my eyes, it simply is an ugly building that was the tallest for a long time. Only a New Yorker would bother spending money to build a clone of such an ugly building. As for the ball hit by babe ruth. I wouldnt pay a dollar for it.
noli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #24
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreanczyk
No one would bother building a clone of the ESB. It is an architectural monstrosity with no style. The only thing it has going for it is the height title it held for so long and subjective feelings of nostalgia. Im not from NYC so I can seperate myself from the nostalgia and look at the ESB like I would at any other scraper in the world. In my eyes, it simply is an ugly building that was the tallest for a long time. Only a New Yorker would bother spending money to build a clone of such an ugly building. As for the ball hit by babe ruth. I wouldnt pay a dollar for it.
You must be the first person I've ever heard call the ESB an "architectural monstrosity."

I can see the point of the side that says the design isn't architecturally spectacular but don't fool yourself, it ain't a monstrosity.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 04:10 AM   #25
Islander
SSP Native

Quote:
As for the ball hit by babe ruth. I wouldnt pay a dollar for it.
Then you're a fool, because if you bought it for a dollar you could turn around and sell it for a few year's salary.
Old November 13th, 2004, 04:46 AM   #26
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2878

Quote:
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #27
f16_freak

the korean guy is just stating his reasons why he thinks that chrysler is better. He thinks that esb is a lousy building so let it be. We all have our own viewpoints and theres no need to interfere or change other's viewpoint.

I feel that esb is better. it is very proportionate and I like its colour.
f16_freak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #28
noli

The Chrysler is s amazing. The ESB is fine up to the part where the roof and spire begin. It just doesnt mesh up there with the rest of the building. The spire is butt ugly too. The Chrysler though, just flows smoothly from top to bottom. The spire and roof and the body of the building form an organic whole. Simply put, the Chrysler has style and beauty. The ESB has none of that. It seems to me that while the Chrysler was built wih the idea od beauty and style first and height second, the ESB was probably the first example of a building where architecture is kicked to the curb and height at any cost is all that matters.
Old November 20th, 2004, 04:42 AM   #29
noli

The Chrysler is s amazing. The ESB is fine up to the part where the roof and spire begin. It just doesnt mesh up there with the rest of the building. The spire is butt ugly too. The Chrysler though, just flows smoothly from top to bottom. The spire and roof and the body of the building form an organic whole. Simply put, the Chrysler has style and beauty. The ESB has none of that. It seems to me that while the Chrysler was built wih the idea od beauty and style first and height second, the ESB was probably the first example of a building where architecture is kicked to the curb and height at any cost is all that matters.
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #30
airmale007
Central Illinoisan

The Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building are both gorgeous examples of the architectural ingenuity of a great american city. While I find both to be beautiful, I think no edifice speaks quite so much about New York City, and America, as the Empire State Building. Those who can only see pictures miss so much of the building's importance. Louis Sullivan, a famous American architect, one said "A building is an act". The Empire State Building was not merely an act, but an American architectural triumph.
airmale007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 04:39 PM   #31
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Why do people vote for famous buildings rather than the truly beautiful building?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 07:28 PM   #32
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
Why do people vote for famous buildings rather than the truly beautiful building?
Aren't most famous buildings truly beautiful?
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:00 AM   #33
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Now I honestly think HK's BOC's lighting is nothing.
What about towers lit in rainbow colours? Or those that change colours?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #34
Monkey
BANNED

150m+ Skyscrapers completed in 2004: http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?8712065
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #35
Monkey
BANNED

oops, double post

Last edited by Monkey; December 28th, 2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #36
Monkey
BANNED

SwissRe is without a doubt my first choice ... It has transformed London's skyline and attracted the public's attention like no other building. It's become a design icon, and a symbol of 21st century Britain.

I can't believe somebody on the other thread described it as "an average building". Get a clue!!!

Old January 15th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #37
Desven
...und so halt!

Likes (Received): 12

nice idea wjfox!

i would propably nominate Skyper,Frankfurt(154m)

the facade isn't something special but i really like that shape!
Old October 22nd, 2005, 05:37 AM   #38
Tazmaniadevil

The ESB and the Chrysler have stood the test of time. They remain classic skyscrapers, along with other tall buildings in the USA that I also admire.
There were no tall buildings outside of the Americas until the 1970's. And how many buildings built in the rest of the world since the 70's hold up as classics?? Very few, I think, and that includes those built in the USA. I think it will be interesting to see how many of the buildings being built today will be considered on the same level as the ESB and Chrysler in the future.
Tazmaniadevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:00 PM   #39
the glimpser
Asean Urbanite

Likes (Received): 54

Bumping this thread. Just saw this article that I want to share - has this been posted already?...

The World's Most Majestic Skyscrapers

Quote:
The Chicago based CTBUH, a group of architects and structural engineers that monitors tall building projects around the world, said there has been a "renaissance" in skyscraper development. A record 88 towers taller than 200 meters were completed in 2011 - compared to 32 such projects in 2005.

The 29-story Al Bahar Towers in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates was given an innovation award for its dynamic facade that rotates in response to the movement of the sun by the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) on June 13, 2012.

A 28-story elliptical tower in Sydney, Australia, was named Best Tall Building in Asia & Australia by the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) on June 13, 2012.

This 46-story Doha Tower in Qatar has been named the Best Tall Building in Middle East & Africa

Italy's 40-story Palazzo Lombardia in Milan was named the Best Tall Building Europe

An artist's rendering of the soon-to-be completed Absolute Towers, a 56-story residential project in Mississauga, Ontario. The towers have been named the Best Tall Building in Americas.
Source and other pictures:http://ph.news.yahoo.com/photos/the-...339649937.html

Last edited by the glimpser; August 22nd, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
the glimpser no está en línea   Reply With Quote