daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

MISC | Platform Screen Doors and Platform Gates

Discussion on Platform Screen Doors and Platform Gates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_screen_doors

Personally, I am STRONGLY in favor of these doors and gates. First and foremost is definitely the safety aspect in reducing and eliminating people jumping or falling into the train tracks (regardless if intentional or unintentional). Also, for some systems, this can also be used to justify installing airconditioning systems which are a must in hot weather or hot climate environments. Then there are reasons as well.

Also, I'd like to clear one myth. PSD and platform gates can be used whether the train has a driver or if train is driverless.

Some examples (though I maybe wrong in some of the locations so please correct me if I make a mistake or error)
Train with driver
-MTR (Hong Kong)
-Taipei Metro (Taiwan)
-JR Group/Japan Railways Group (Japan)
-Tokyo Subway System (Tokyo Metro + Toei Subway) - majority of stations (Japan)
-Sentosa Monorail (Singapore)
-Rapid KL in some stations (Malaysia)
-Las Vegas Monorail (USA)
-South Korea Airport Express - AREX (South Korea)
-Turin Metro (Italy)
-Bangkok Metro (Thailand)
-London Underground - Jubilee Line Extension - some stations (United Kingdom)
-Seville Metro (Spain)
-LINK Train (Canada)
-Sao Paulo Metro Line 5 (Brazil)
-Beijing Metro (Mainland China)

Driverless
-Singapore MRT (Singapore)
-Hong Kong Airport People Mover (Hong Kong)
-Paris Metro in some lines (France)
-Lausanne Metro line 2 (Switzerland)
-Dubai Metro (United Arab Emirates)
-Venice People Mover (Italy)
-Copenhagen Metro - some underground stations (Denmark)
-Yurikamome (Japan)
-Linimo magnetic levitation train (Japan)

Also, with advancements in technology as well as economies of scale, the cost of platform screen doors and platform gates have reduced greatly (unlikely in the past). That and these are being used AROUND THE WORLD regardless of continent or whether in a developing country or developed country. Hence, it is hard to make a case to NOT install these doors and gates. These things are a worthy investment (primarily due to safety benefits but also for other things it brings as well)

It's a no brainer

Last edited by Blackraven; February 26th, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Cesar Vieira
East Side, St. Paul

Likes (Received): 823

Line 4 São Paulo

Line 4 São Paulo (in all stations)

http://i1.r7.com/data/files/2C95/948...g-20110516.jpg

Line 2 (in 3 stations)
Sacomã

http://i1.r7.com/data/files/2C92/94A...20x%20525).jpg

Tamaduateí

http://noticias.limao.com.br/imagens...NevesAE600.jpg

Vila Prudente

http://assets1.exame.abril.com.br/as...jpg?1305214220

line 3 there is a station (Vila Matilde) with doors on the platform, finished, but still does not operate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Some examples (though I maybe wrong in some of the locations so please correct me if I make a mistake or error)
Train with driver
-MTR (Hong Kong)
-Taipei Metro (Taiwan)
-JR Group/Japan Railways Group (Japan)
-Tokyo Subway System (Tokyo Metro + Toei Subway) - majority of stations (Japan)
-Sentosa Monorail (Singapore)
-Rapid KL in some stations (Malaysia)
-Las Vegas Monorail (USA)
-South Korea Airport Express - AREX (South Korea)
-Turin Metro (Italy)
-Bangkok Metro (Thailand)
-London Underground - Jubilee Line Extension - some stations (United Kingdom)
-Seville Metro (Spain)
-LINK Train (Canada)
-Sao Paulo Metro Line 5 (Brazil)
-Beijing Metro (Mainland China)

Driverless
-Singapore MRT (Singapore)
-Hong Kong Airport People Mover (Hong Kong)
-Paris Metro in some lines (France)
-Lausanne Metro line 2 (Switzerland)
-Dubai Metro (United Arab Emirates)
-Venice People Mover (Italy)
-Copenhagen Metro - some underground stations (Denmark)
-Yurikamome (Japan)
-Linimo magnetic levitation train (Japan)

It's a no brainer
-Sao Paulo Metro Line 5 (Brazil) -[B] in line 2 (3), 3 (1) and 4 (all) - line 5 in future stations of expansion and in a second phase also existing stations

Driverless
São Paulo in line 4

Last edited by Cesar Vieira; February 26th, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Cesar Vieira no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #3
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Good to have a new thread about PSDs since the old one from 2005/2006 is closed.

There's a Metrobits page dedicated to PSDs with a (hopefully) complete list of subways with PSDs (without the airport people movers).
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #4
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Hence, it is hard to make a case to NOT install these doors and gates. These things are a worthy investment (primarily due to safety benefits but also for other things it brings as well)
The only problem is when you have different rolling stock types with different door spacing. Not a problem usually with metro systems with single dedicated rolling stock, but on systems with run-through arrangements with other railway systems, or different generations of rolling stock, it is. Consequently in Japan there is development going on with platform gates that have movable doors to match different door spacings.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18210

From a safety perspective, the shorter platform gates are sufficient to prevent suicides and murders. But for cities with more extreme swings in climate and temperatures, the full door configuration can help save energy costs to heat / cool the platforms.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Minato ku

In Paris half height platforml door are over 1.7m tall, much taller than the Asian gate.

Old February 27th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
The only problem is when you have different rolling stock types with different door spacing. Not a problem usually with metro systems with single dedicated rolling stock, but on systems with run-through arrangements with other railway systems, or different generations of rolling stock, it is. Consequently in Japan there is development going on with platform gates that have movable doors to match different door spacings.
I figured that as well.....and you guys mentioned that in the local threads that this is one reason why implementation and installation may encounter difficulties

That and you guys have like almost 10,000 train stations in your country. Who knows when all these 10,000 or so train stations in Japan will get this.

Nevertheless, MLIT is absolutely hellbent on these doors and gates. In fact, I figured they've enforced some law or directive (which is probably why bullet train along Shin-Aomori station have doors and gates.......yeah even for bullet trains). Yeah, that must be it (must be some law imposed by MLIT to require newly-built train stations to have doors and gates installed).

Still, when I think of platform doors and gates for train stations in Japan, some of the first things that come into my mind are definitely:
-Linimo
-Yurikamome
-Tokyo Metro Namboku Line
-Okinawa Monorail

Anyways
My prediction: all 10k+ train stations will have doors/gates by year 2050 or earlier (Japan)

@Cesar Vieira
Thanks for the updates for Brazil. Yeah it looks like they're expanding beyond line 5. Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
From a safety perspective, the shorter platform gates are sufficient to prevent suicides and murders. But for cities with more extreme swings in climate and temperatures, the full door configuration can help save energy costs to heat / cool the platforms.
Agreed.

In fact, before the end of year 2011, the completion of the last leg (i.e. stations like Heng Fa Cheun, Tsuen Wan, Chai Wan, etc.) got their gates. Worthy investment indeed by the MTR HK.

Probably the next step would be Hung Hom station. Since West Rail line has doors/gates for 99% of the line, the only 1% is Hung Hom that doesn't have them yet..............but I bet MTR is planning something for this station soon.

Anyways, I think majority of people are in favor or at least supportive of the doors and gates.

However

Is there anyone here in SSC who doesn't like and actually rather hates these doors and gates? If so, justify your reason(s) then....
Old February 27th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #8
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Anyways
My prediction: all 10k+ train stations will have doors/gates by year 2050 or earlier (Japan)
Won't happen. There are much more worthwhile transit investments than installing platform doors at some rural station with only a handful of trains and riders each day.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #9
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

I don't like platform edge doors. Makes the station feel so closed in.

I <3 London

Abbendymion liked this post
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #10
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Discussion
Why did you refrain from labelling the photos you've drawn on at introducing this topic? Why did you refrain from hyperlinking any one of them, for it's altogether pretty much like stealing, right?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Chavito

Likes (Received): 5

Helsinki metro is also introducing platforms doors.

http://www.hel.fi/hki/HKL/en/current...ors+introduced

Quote:
17.2.2012 Vuosaari platform doors introduced on 15 February
Trial run with the platform doors installed at Vuosaari Metro station started on Wednesday 15 February. The doors, which are part of the metro automation project, were built over a year ago but their introduction has been delayed due to technical and safety related testings.

A structure has now been added to the doors, which has made it possible to reduce the gap between the doors and the metro train so that the doors function safely for passenger traffic.

The introduction of the doors will ease the traffic situation at Vuosaari station as the trains can use both platforms again at rush hour. Outside rush hours, at least during the initial phase of the trial, the other platform will be used and the doors are not in use. The doors are also serviced and inspected during the trial phase and during these periods, the platform doors are not in use.

The metro stops at Vuosaari by the platform doors so that the platform doors and metro doors face each other. Because the platform doors are only the length of two train carriages, the first two metro carriages stop outside the wall of the platform doors in the trial phase.

In the trial phase, the driver opens and closes both doors from his driver cabin. Open doors are indicated by a white pilot light. When closing the doors, the metro doors are closed first and the platform doors afterwards.

When the platform doors are closing, a signal is sounded and the door pilot light flashes red. At that point, it is forbidden to go between the doors. Entering through closing metro doors is also forbidden at other stations for safety reasons.

Platform doors are part of the metro automation project. Currently, HKL (Helsinki City Transport) and Siemens are negotiating the possibility of implementing metro automation as a so called semi-automatic solution. If the negotiations are successful and HKL’s board of governors approves the negotiation result, it means that platform doors will only be installed in the end stations, i.e. Vuosaari and Mellunmäki. At this initial phase, platform doors have only been installed on the departure platform at Vuosaari.

The situation with automated metro and how the project will continue will be clarified during the coming spring.
Chavito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #12
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
I don't like platform edge doors. Makes the station feel so closed in.
Perhaps you should not be UNDERGROUND at all

Go see a psychologist
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Perhaps you should not be UNDERGROUND at all

Go see a psychologist
Haha lol good one
Old July 15th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #14
Myrtonos

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Personally, I am STRONGLY in favor of these doors and gates. First and foremost is definitely the safety aspect in reducing and eliminating people jumping or falling into the train tracks (regardless if intentional or unintentional). Also, for some systems, this can also be used to justify installing airconditioning systems which are a must in hot weather or hot climate environments. Then there are reasons as well.
So am I, we have a few underground stations here in Melbourne, three on the City Loop, there are also many in Sydney, there seems to be potential for a massive joint venture order for PSDs to be installed at underground stations across Australia.

The need for them at underground stations is beyond debate, as they restrict access to tunnels.

Quote:
+Also, I'd like to clear one myth. PSD and platform gates can be used whether the train has a driver or if train is driverless.
The only pre-requisite (as far as I can see) is for the doors on both the platform and the vehicles to be fully powered

Quote:
Also, with advancements in technology as well as economies of scale, the cost of platform screen doors and platform gates have reduced greatly (unlikely in the past). That and these are being used AROUND THE WORLD regardless of continent or whether in a developing country or developed country. Hence, it is hard to make a case to NOT install these doors and gates. These things are a worthy investment (primarily due to safety benefits but also for other things it brings as well)
As suggested above, if there are a large number of underground stations across a country or area and PSDs are to be installed at all of them, then there is a potential for a joint venture order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The full door configuration is better for underground stations, no question about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Regardless of variations in door arrangement, PSDs are still possible just as long as all doors are powered, check out platform dynamic doors.
Myrtonos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #15
xavier114fch

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
In fact, before the end of year 2011, the completion of the last leg (i.e. stations like Heng Fa Cheun, Tsuen Wan, Chai Wan, etc.) got their gates. Worthy investment indeed by the MTR HK.

Probably the next step would be Hung Hom station. Since West Rail line has doors/gates for 99% of the line, the only 1% is Hung Hom that doesn't have them yet..............but I bet MTR is planning something for this station soon.
There will be considerable expansion of MTR until 2020. All future stations will get platform screen doors or automatic platform gates.

With driver and platform doors:

- West Island Line (part of Island Line, all underground stations, 2014)
- Kwun Tong Line extension (part of Kwun Tong Line, all underground stations, 2015)
- East West Corridor (connector of current West Rail Line and Ma On Shan Line, all underground stations and one at-grade station, 2018)
- North South Corridor (part of the current East Rail Line, all underground stations, 2020)

Driverless and platform doors:

- South Island Line (East) (new line and for underground stations only, 2015)

Driverless and platform gates:

- Viaduct stations of South Island Line (East), 2015

With Driver and platform gates:

- Current Ma On Shan Line trains will be lengthened from 4 cars to 7 cars to run on East West Corridor, and eventually to 8 cars in future. All stations are located on viaducts. Provisions have been made to platforms during construction of the line, and platform gates will be retrofitted together with platform extension works. This will be finished in 2017, which is one year earlier than full operation of the full corridor.

- New trains and signalling system will be in place for the extension of East Rail Line across the harbour to form the North South Corridor. New trains will be 9 cars only which is 3 cars shorter than the current formation, but the new signalling system can run more frequent trains to compensate on the reduction of cars. Since the door configurations will be different from the current train sets, platform gates will be installed to current stations during the resignalling work. This is slated to complete in 2020.

Hung Hom station will be relocated to the east of the current station, which is partly at-grade (for East West Corridor trains) and underground (for North South Corridor trains). Platform doors will be installed to the new station only. There's no intention to install any platform gates to the current station, and the current platforms will be changed to intercity services once the new station is complete in 2018.
xavier114fch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
trains