daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Atomicus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 642

Community of Madrid -neighbourhoods connected by metro-

Hello there.

I've been wanting to open a thread about my region for a long time... But as there seem to be quite a lot ones already focused on tourism, I wanted to open one focused on urbanism instead.
It may look boring to a lot of people here, but I tend to find interesting where people really live outside of the touristic areas from other countries... You know, the common neighbourhood, and all of that. So I wanted to show this about my region too. Besides, I wanted to add this kind of thread to my signature Also, as I tend to arrive 'too early' to the meeting spot when I hang out with friends, I just take pictures around, so actually this thread will serve me as an excuse to not get bored when I wait for my impolite friends

Most of my pics will be focused on suburbs and cities from the Community of Madrid sourrounding Madrid City that HAVE METRO AVAILABLE. I thought it'd be more meaningful and interesting if I only posted neighbourhoods connected to the metro system. I may add some pics of schools, shopping centers and parks, as I think they are stongly related to the life in the neighbourhoods.

Also, I've avoided taking pics in the super-rich neighbourhoods as I don't think they represent what you'd see if you come here... And also, I don't feel comfortable taking pics there.

I'd like to introduce the Community of Madrid to you first. Many people outside of Spain don't know that Madrid ain't only a city... It is a region too more or less of the size of a country like Puerto Rico. Our density is around 800 inhabitants per km2, and our population is 6.489.680 (2011) according to our INE. It's a bit dirt in the south-east and south, and green in the north. In the mountains we usually have snow from November to May (this year we don't though :sad: ).

Madrid GDP grew in 2011 a 1.4% and is right now the richest region of Spain (overtook Catalonia some time ago). Just one of the sources reporting that, here.

[IMG]http://i43.************/10ggv9h.jpg[/IMG]

About Madrid metro, it has 293 km (2012) of network and 300 stations, making it one of the largest ones by length in the world. Quite outstanding for a city that is quite smaller than cities like Tokyo or Paris. Obviously Madrid metro extends to a lot of suburbs and cities outside of Madrid City's districts.

Most of our trains if not all in our subway system are made by the Spanish company CAF. Most of them are quite modern (Madrid sell the old ones to Latin American countries).
I'll post pics about trains here once I dare to take the pics. I'm a bit paranoid and tend to believe if I take pics inside the metro stations I'll be confused by a terrorist who want to blow everything up.

Made the long and boring introduction, I'll start posting the pics now. I'll update this thread in the future.

Last edited by Atomicus; June 28th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Atomicus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Atomicus
BANNED

In the first picture I wanted to show you what's the standard Metro station in the suburbs of the Community of Madrid. They are usually a boring but modern box of steel with some electronic front panels displaying some information.

They are boring as I said, but quite wide and comfortable (as they are not in downtown Madrid, they had space to do what they wanted), most of them have elevators and electronic stairs (they stop working if no people is around to save energy and all of that).

I'll post in the future how's a metro station like this by the inside. Btw, in the pic it's in the right part of the picture. You can see the flag of the Community of Madrid and the METRO.

As you can see, even detached house neighbourhoods are quite dense, similar to what you'd see in Japan or other European nations.

I wanted to show this picture because I used to climb up this uphill when I was younger like millions of times on my way home back from school. It looked like the damn Everest, however, now that I look at it... Looks so small...

That building there looks like an office building but it's actually a residential one. And yep, that over there is a topless woman.

A common school (a bit old) you can find at any neighbourhood from the Community of Madrid. They've built a lot of modern ones though in the nineties and '00 because of the massive immigration from other parts of Spain and outside of it.

Last edited by Atomicus; February 27th, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Atomicus
BANNED

This is a neighbourhood of semi-detached homes:

This requires an explanation. We have a lot of commieblocks and francoblocks here in Spain. Many are getting their facades refurbished (paid by the residents of those buildings obviously) to make them look more modern. The nice of them is that they can be repaint quite easily if a stupid kid decide to paint the walls with graffity (unfortunately a problem here).

Sometimes the results are cute:

But some other times the results are a bit hideous:

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Atomicus
BANNED

If you look at the horizon you can see Madrid City and the mountains with snow.

This is the tipically neighbourhood from the outter districts of Madrid City that were built in the '60 and '70. They may look "old" but are decentily big (most of them with 2 bathrooms and elevators). These neighbourhoods used to be "dangerous" in the past (by European standards)... Now they are paceful and oftenly populated by elder people... You can even smell sometimes the home made food of people there, It is quite charming.

If you notice, this building is not refurbished, but the ones up ahead do. This is what I was talking about earlier...

A lot of suburbs in the Community of Madrid have ponds with ducks and all of that. Too bad I took this picture in winter, since the trees have no leaves.

Last edited by Atomicus; February 27th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #5
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Nice thread. I always had a curiosity about the parts of the Madrid Community outside the city limits.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #6
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

interesting and fascinating thread, nice read and beautiful images..thanks for sharing.

Tags
madrid, spain in the world