daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #41
Myouzke

Likes (Received): 57

It is most likely Chinese will be at the top, than Portuguese in between, and English at the bottom like the signs in Macau Int'l Airport and the tourist signs around the city.
Myouzke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #42
everywhere
The Explorer

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myouzke View Post
It is most likely Chinese will be at the top, than Portuguese in between, and English at the bottom like the signs in Macau Int'l Airport and the tourist signs around the city.
Now that's what I'm hoping for...
everywhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:09 AM   #43
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Not sure which bus you rode but most hotels provide free bus services to and from their hotels to major points (like the ferry terminals, the airport, the border gate or even up to Taipa and Coloane).

I'm not sure on this but you must've probably ridden on another bus then like the Transmac (澳門新福利公共汽車有限公司)???
I rode a local bus probably Transmac. When I travel sometimes I like to jump on a bus and see where it takes me. A bus I was on in Shenzhen also ended up at the depot...lol

Is it true that the light rail cars will be running on rubber tires? I wonder why rubber is better than metal wheels on rail. I was looking through wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macau_Light_Rail_Transit
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #44
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

Ao Man Long-granted lands behind LRT dispute
26/06/2012 08:23:00
Macau Daily Times

The Transportation Infrastructure Office (GIT) has announced the final design of the Light Rapid Transit (LRT) system’s NAPE/ ZAPE segment, which would pass London Street and Porto Street despite strong opposition by local residents. Neighbourhood leader said that there is a reason behind the authority’s tough stance, and it is the lucrative land deals approved by Ao Man Long. The disillusioned residents vowed to take the dispute to the court, but now they are thinking of going beyond lawsuits.

The LRT blueprint in 2007 proposed two possible routings for the section between the stations of Golden Lotus Square and Parque Dr. Carlos d’Assumpção. In addition to going through London Street and Porto Street, one alternative was to go the Av. Dr. Sun Yat-Sen on the outer (or eastern) side facing the harbour. But the inner side is chosen.

With a view to win residents’ concession, GIT proposed cutting the height of the elevated railway from 15.5 meters to 13.6 meters, or below the fourth floor of residential level, but residents said privacy matter is always not their prime concern.

Chen Lian Jin, President of Association Community Development Macau, which was formed to defend the neighborhood’s interests, told Macau Daily Times that GIT could not explain why the elevated railway has to go the inner but not outer route, which he said would be much better because of much wider space and scenic views of the sea.

“They could not raise a single disadvantage for not going the outer route, nor any advantage for choosing the inner route,” he said. “They only say the path’s chosen based on ‘mainstream opinion’. But unfortunately what they described as ‘mainstream opinion’ was based on fake public consultations. For example they claimed to have the support of eight major social groups, which we called one by one to verify. But the groups told us GIT workers only turned up to take photos with their staff and have a tea before leaving,” Chen said, “they didn’t even manage to meet the groups’ leaders.”

“They also spent MOP 600,000 to commission a local university to organise a consultation campaign, with only four participants, who were elderly residents lured into the meeting by cheap souvenirs. Then three university students briefed them on the goodness of LRT.”

Chen started his investigation into the possible reasons behind the GIT’s decision, and he found two land plots, granted at unreasonably low deposits to private developers in 2001 and 2004, by then Secretary for Transport and Public Works, Ao Man Long, who is now serving his prison term for bribe-taking.

The lands coded 25 (A1/G) and 19 (A1/M), were intended for a twin-tower hotel, which was never built. Instead, government records show they were being transferred repeatedly from one owner to another.

“Each time of sale the land owner made millions and millions of Patacas, and the government did not take the trouble to reclaim the lands in accordance with the law since the hotel was never built,” said Chen Lian Jin.

So many years’ after Ao Man Long’s arrest, government officials are still doing the same dirty things - Chen Lian Jin

“So many years’ after Ao Man Long’s arrest, government officials are still doing the same dirty things, you can see there’s huge flows of money behind these deals, and that’s why the LRT could not have its footings on these vast lands, instead it has to cram into the narrow streets inside.”
Chen has already reported the case to the Commission Against Corruption (CCAC), which declined to disclose investigation progress due to secrecy reasons.

Shop owners and residents in the two streets all expressed strong opposition to the LRT when being approached. They are worried that the railway would cause safety and security reasons. “You can see the huge protest banners outside”, the shopkeeper of Estabelecimento de Comidas told MDTImes, “the construction will cause disruption, railway operation will cause noise pollution and block the sunlight.”

Asked if the railway will bring more customers, she said she was more worried about security problems as more unknown people are likely to flock to the neighbourhood.

Chen said GIT failed to convince them the railway is safe for the street: “the street is 24 meters wide, pedestrian ways occupy some 5.4 meters, on the remaining space they want to build an double-way railway 13 meters high, you can imagine when a fire break out, the fire engines will have no place to enter, not to mention the scaling ladder.” Even a retired Fire Services chief was unable to say the space is enough for rescue efforts.
Chen said they would bring the case to court once GIT announce a public tender for the project, which the authority is trying to kick off construction later this year. “We’ve already raised enough fund to go through the Court of First Instance, the Court of Appeal and Final Appeal. Our lawyer said if the judiciary system is fair and impartial enough, we have 90 percent chances of wining the lawsuit.” Chen said, “but he is quite pessimistic on that, so the estimation is 70 percent of losing the case.”
He said individual residents are getting radical: “some say they’re not sure if they’re gonna throw a LPG cylinder onto the LRT track when a train approaches, while others mentioned about setting fire to the facility, I’m worried because I’m living upstairs.”

He said individual residents also suggested “battering” the government headquarters in order to raise public awareness: “nobody cares about what we think, and what we say are always blocked by the media.” Some “radicals“ even wanted to take to the street: “and who knows if during the rally somebody will get injured when protesters turn violent, and how if the injured is an American tourist?”

“Shop owners are going to lose billions of Patacas if the railway is built and block their shops, property prices will drop significantly. We’ve no choice because every one of us spent entire life just to save up and buy one apartment here, and we just can’t let go.”

Official “mainstream public opinion”

Talking about “mainstream opinion”, based on which LRT route decides to go into London Street, Chen Lian Jin said the same tricks were also adopted during the public consultation sessions for the political “reform”. As a participant in several sessions, he said the government would call people to listen to their views on the “reform”, and once the respondents expressed opinions in line with the official one, they will be invited to the sessions open to the general public, and depending on how acceptable their views are, some of them will be given the chance to speak. Of course a few oppositionists give have the chance to touch the microphone too. And this is how the “2+2+100” is generated.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #45
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Any updates to the system?
Old June 9th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #46
Tiger Beer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
World's first metro featuring Portuguese signage outside of Portugal and Brazil?
I've seen some Portuguese metro/train signage in Japan. Particularly over near Hamamatsu, where there are many Brazilians living.
Tiger Beer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #47
Tiger Beer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
I expect this to be more tourist-friendly and definitely more friendly to non-Cantonese speakers compared to some bus and taxis (where some drivers do not even know what 'taipa' or 'cotai' is)
I noticed that as well with taxi drivers in Macau. Many just cannot read English at all. I also had some addresses written in Portuguese, and some taxi drivers couldn't read Portuguese either.

(I take it that most taxi drivers are from poorer areas of mainland China?)
Tiger Beer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #48
forexticks

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I noticed that as well with taxi drivers in Macau. Many just cannot read English at all. I also had some addresses written in Portuguese, and some taxi drivers couldn't read Portuguese either.

(I take it that most taxi drivers are from poorer areas of mainland China?)
No, its just that there's no real need to learn English.

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
forexticks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #49
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4435

Any construction pics?

ArtZ liked this post

Last edited by VECTROTALENZIS; June 10th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #50
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Careful with this kind of posting.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #51
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

MOD EDIT: Post edited due to resolved issue.

Last edited by Svartmetall; June 10th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #52
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

I heard that construction has already started

*correct me if I'm wrong*
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #53
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

What will the rolling stock of the Macau LRT system be like? I know they will be using the Mitsubishi "Crystal Mover" vehicles which will be branded "Ocean Cruisers", but what will be the vehicles' passenger volume and dimensions again?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #54
Thodmas

Likes (Received): 2

Any more news?
Thodmas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #55
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thodmas View Post
Any more news?
Yes:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...etro-cars.html

Macau orders more automated light metro cars
06 Jan 2014

CHINA: Macau’s Transport Infrastructure Office has ordered an additional 48 Crystal Mover rubber-tyre light metro cars and associated maintenance equipment from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Itochu Corp for use on the future Macau Light Rapid Transit line.

The 21 km MLRT driverless light metro is under construction between Taipa Island and the border with Zhuhai in Guangdong Province.

The extra cars have been ordered in response to an increase in predicted passenger volumes since the initial order for 110 cars was placed in March 2011.
Old January 7th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #56
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Likes (Received): 46

Im not familiar of this. what happens to the train when it gets flat tire? i assumed tired trains are choosen to reduce noise pollution since it is running above ground.

Got computing brains or extra bucks? Support this Green tech INDIEGOGO Project Paperless Receipts
silent_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #57
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

Those automated, rubber-tired cars remind me of airport trams that go between terminals. I hope the Macau LRT operates faster!

According to Sgtrains.com, the dimensions are as follows:

Car length 11.2 metres
Width 2.7 metres
Height 3.615 metres
Doors 4 per car
Maximum Speed 70 km/h

Last edited by Geography; January 8th, 2014 at 09:42 AM.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #58
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

I loathe rubber-tired metros. They are so uncomfortable and jerky, and the rolling resistance of the tires on the road is ridiculous.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #59
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Ugh...I forgot this is supposed to be a rubber tire metro.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #60
saiho

Likes (Received): 1291

Well much better looking then the ones in Singapore
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
macau