daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:18 AM   #1
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 259

Raleigh- A trip around my college, where nature and technology live in harmony.

So, I give you a tour of Raleigh. This was all taken today, it was 76 degrees fahrenheit, and I was running around in shorts enjoying the beautiful weather, take that Europe! I created this thread to showcase the place I live in and it's beauty. It's a bit contemporary, but straight-forward at the same time. I'd like to emphasize that all these pictures are taken within 2 miles of downtown Raleigh, which I think really shows how nature-based our city really is. Raleigh has been rated the #1 best city in America recently by USA today, largely impart to our vast expanses of forest and parks in a city of over 1,000,000, we have one of the highest percentages of parkland in the US fora city our size if not the most, and this thread emphasizes that. It also emphasizes our intelligence as a city and a region, Raleigh is often rated the smartest city in the US, and in Raleigh contains the largest research park in the world by almost any measure. UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, and NC State (my college) are the schools that Research Triangle Park is composed of, this part of campus is becoming especially developed as Raleigh is cast into the world spotlight and Research Triangle Park grows to economic proportions that we never expected. Raleigh was the fastest growing city last decade in the US, and it continues to grow at an unprecedented rate, without further ado, here is an extremely small slice of Raleigh, North Carolina!!!

This is the biggest deal on our campus currently, this is going to very likely be the most high tech library in the world! You can read part of it on the sign, budget is over $100 Million, and it shows!

And now the rest of my campus! I'll start with the buildings that compose my campus and move to the nature.

The Main Road

World Headquarters of RedHat

A piece of the Facade of the new library

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/...70083082_o.jpg

A deer on our campus! haha

Ending the day off right with a Starbucks drink! CHEERS Hope you enjoyed it!

Edited the earlier pic, trying to see if I could make it look cooler.

Last edited by royal rose1; March 2nd, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:28 AM   #2
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15135

In b4 Europeans hijack this thread to defend how "mild" their climates are.

Lol anyways, great pics. You have any of Downtown Raleigh?
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:34 AM   #3
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
In b4 Europeans hijack this thread to defend how "mild" their climates are.

Lol anyways, great pics. You have any of Downtown Raleigh?
Hahaha I know the European trolling is coming! All I know is none of my family in Hungary is wearing any less than two coats today! haha

And I can get some if you want! I go to NCSU, about 1.5 miles from downtown. I find downtown to be a little lackluster, I like the areas outside of downtown much more. Raleigh is truly a "suburban" city for the time being. We have great biking trails and lots of woods, and just beautiful places outside of downtown, but really no "downtown."
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:40 AM   #4
musiccity
Retired Mod

I've only driven through Raleigh.. never actually visited the city. But NC is generally seen as the nicest state in the South so I'm sure Raleigh is a pleasant city. Nashville is also very suburban and we have extensive greenway trails throughout the city.
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:47 AM   #5
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
I've only driven through Raleigh.. never actually visited the city. But NC is generally seen as the nicest state in the South so I'm sure Raleigh is a pleasant city. Nashville is also very suburban and we have extensive greenway trails throughout the city.
I definitely want to move, but I think if I had to say in the south, outside of say Northern Virginia-DC metro, I'd definitely live in Raleigh! I think Raleigh in specific is amazing,, a lot of North Carolina is old towns that are in perpetual states of downturn. But Raleigh is VERY well-managed, with Research Triangle Park, all our universities , and the state capitol, we're practically in an everlasting state of economic equilibrium, there's no way for our economy to fail really. Raleigh is just so natural that it's beautiful, I'd say outside of our lame downtown and horrible summer weather, we're pretty flawless. We aren't so much a tourist destination though, more a place to live than anything.

I think outside of Raleigh though, Asheville, Charlotte, and Nashville are the next best cities in the South! So I don't pity you my friend haha! I really want to live in Seattle or Boston though, I just can't stand our summer weather! It's horribly humid.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:53 AM   #6
musiccity
Retired Mod

Definitely humid, I have a big afro in the summer lol. It's hell when it gets over 92F with our high humidity.

Nashville is a great city, we're no frills but if you like a city with character and a good vibe then Nashville's your city.

-Mark Twain
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:57 AM   #7
musiccity
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartley011 View Post
thank you
Your welcome

-Mark Twain
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:28 PM   #8
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244686

Looking really very nice; thanks for those photos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #9
DWest
DBest

Likes (Received): 413

pretty nice place and close to nature....
DWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

nice thread on Raleigh...thanks for sharing your pics.
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #11
madonnagirl
Materially Yours

Likes (Received): 467

a nice place to learn, to play and to nature trip.
any shots of the CBD?