daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #1
ducus

Likes (Received): 14

Why USA has so many cars per 1000 population?

I always wondered why US has so many cars per 1000pop. (over 800)? Why are you guys so comfortable that almost every family memeber or citizen must have car?
Why didn't you encouraged the public transportation like other countries from Europe? The biggest US cities have subway, railways and public transportation so why the car has risen so much in your eyes?
I undestodd that practically it's a shame in USA not to have a car, even the emigrants first thing they do when arrive in USA is to look for a car.
ducus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 4th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Because in most instances public transit is either inconvenient, lacking, or even non existant all together especially in the suburban areas where one bus line "might" only run at 30 minute intervals during the weekdays only.

Anyways many US cities have made some improvements in regard to public transit such as new light rail, BRT, and commuter rail lines but they still don't have much of an impact.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #3
ducus

You guys had once upon a time in the early 1900's trams in cities such NYC, but you renounced to them, god knows why? Only to fill the pockets of car manufacturers, untill the phenomenon has grew so much that nowadays, even if you'd want to introduce trams in the city, you could'n.
You're the only country who spoiled their public transport (especially the electric one) in favor of personal car. In Europe that didn't happened, all major capitals have public transport by tram, trolley or bus.
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #4
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 600

You can't just generalise but many US cities have homes without stores nearby, they like to spread out !.....maybe a 7-11 ? so to buy anything you need a car to go to the mall etc......I stayed with friends in Lexington Kentucky and Palm Springs California and I had long walks to anywhere while they were at work......such is life. We should be so lucky ! Think it's much the same here in Australia but not to the same extent.
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #5
apinamies

Likes (Received): 109

American's too lazy to walk even nearest store. No wonder there are so many overweight people in USA. Also cars are really cheap in USA and fuel too.
apinamies está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
ducus

Just wait and see when the barrel will reach 200$+ or even worse, as the resources are shrinking, who will be able to keep his car, they will se how it is to pay on a gallon from 6,8$ like we do in Europe!
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #7
aaabbbccc

Likes (Received): 98

We are very rich compared to the world if you makes the minimum wage working 40 hours a week and you have food / clothes a car and a very simple studio apt , you are at least upper middle class compared to the entire world
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #8
spencer114

Likes (Received): 128

We have so many here (and in Canada) because cars are awesome and our country is big and beautiful and best seen from the window of a car.

Once you have one it's kind of hard to imagine going without. It's your transportation, private space and entertainment all wrapped into one.

In an ideal world public transportation would be more extensive here, but given the choice I'll take my Ford pick-up thank you very much. Btw, your gas is so expensive because of taxes( i. e. the funding mechanism for your public transportation).
I've enjoyed your awesome public transportation on my trips to Europe. I've also rented a car and experienced your traffic jams. Let's not pretend that London, Berlin and Paris aren't every bit as choked with cars as Washington, New York and Chicago.

As for expensive gas, we tend to engineer our way out of a pickle. We will make cars more fuel efficient and develop alternative fuels. It's already happening.

Last edited by spencer114; March 4th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #9
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 401

A growing number of Americans don't have them, including a sharp reduction in teenage car ownership, as well as some people in growing walkable cores in many cities.

There will always be "spencers" who like cars. That might even represent the majority of driving here. But a big percentage of our driving is people who say they "have to" or do it because there's no easy alternative. A lot of us are trying to improve transit and land use so people have options.

Personally I don't have car despite having plenty of money. It can be done.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
spencer114

Likes (Received): 128

I'm a carpenter and have to use my truck for work. By choice I also live in a very pedestrian friendly neighborhood and almost never use my vehicle to do my shopping or dining. That's daily life, then there's downtime...

Not much beats taking a drive through the gorgeous VA countryside with the windows down on a spring or fall day. My best times have been on road trips.

Cities should be developed with mass transit and walking/biking in mind, but only a tiny portion of our land is urbanized. 90% of the country will never be connected by rail and it would be a shame to miss it.

Last edited by spencer114; March 4th, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #11
hudkina

Likes (Received): 65

Cars vs. public transportation is the equivalent of cell phones vs. pay phones. With pay phones, they were only available in certain places, weren't always reliable (or even working), and might be in use by others. Cell phones allow people to communicate where they want when they want. They may cost more to own, but to most people the convenience outweighs the costs. The same thing applies to cars.
hudkina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #12
CincyBearcats

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
You can't just generalise but many US cities have homes without stores nearby, they like to spread out !.....maybe a 7-11 ? so to buy anything you need a car to go to the mall etc......I stayed with friends in Lexington Kentucky and Palm Springs California and I had long walks to anywhere while they were at work......such is life. We should be so lucky ! Think it's much the same here in Australia but not to the same extent.
Melbourne sprawls, but public transit is even available is some of the furthest outer ring suburbs. Go to Atlanta which sprawls just as bad, and you will be driving to the store, shopping center, etc. Public transit is much better in Australia from what I have seen. Even in Perth, which seems slightly behind the east coast, public transit was really good. Auckland, NZ is another story, but most of Australia outside smaller centers like Hobart, Geelong, and Darwin is pretty good compared to American standards.
CincyBearcats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #13
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 3952

Car ownership is less relevant than car usage.

Car taxes are generally low in US compared to other developed countries. That makes owning a car a relatively not so expensive proposition.

Western Europe, on average, has car ownership rate of 613. Not that much lower indeed.

Per capita car driven distance in US is about 52% higher than that of Western Europe. This is more relevant. But US is a sparsely populated country with plenty of rooms for freeways and whatnot... so no big deal.
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #14
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 3952

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducus View Post
Just wait and see when the barrel will reach 200$+ or even worse, as the resources are shrinking, who will be able to keep his car, they will se how it is to pay on a gallon from 6,8$ like we do in Europe!
Fuel cost more than $6,8 now. Here in The Netherlands, unleaded gas is selling for $ 10,40 on the nearest gas station from my house. That doens't preclude cars being responsible for more than 70% of all passenger-miles in this country (in US, it is 92%).

Some adjustment might occur, but not widespread things.
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #15
BOSDAN

Likes (Received): 4

America is a large country as far as land size goes. You also need to remember there are a ton of American cities that have massive sprawl over a large area of land and either have no transit, or very poor transit. I am talking cities like Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Miami, Denver, Phoenix, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Austin, Los Angeles. These cities are also some of the main ones that prefer to simply widen their highways, or add more of them instead of investing in transit options.

In those cities car is king. You do have a good number of cities that have more urbanized, denser populated areas that have good transit options. Cities like Boston, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. are examples.
BOSDAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #16
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSDAN View Post
America is a large country as far as land size goes. You also need to remember there are a ton of American cities that have massive sprawl over a large area of land and either have no transit, or very poor transit. I am talking cities like Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Miami, Denver, Phoenix, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Austin, Los Angeles. These cities are also some of the main ones that prefer to simply widen their highways, or add more of them instead of investing in transit options.
All of those cities with the exception of Raleigh/Durham are investing and expanding their mass transit systems as well. Los Angeles, Dallas, and Denver are now currently undergoing the largest expansion of their light rail systems with Houston not far behind with a line extension and two new light rail lines that are now under construction.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #17
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSDAN View Post

In those cities car is king. You do have a good number of cities that have more urbanized, denser populated areas that have good transit options. Cities like Boston, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. are examples.
LA is investing 40 Billion into our growing Transit system with 2 lines currently under construction (another starting in June) and with a rail ridership soon to be over 400,000 daily boardings.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #18
LtBk

Likes (Received): 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
Cars vs. public transportation is the equivalent of cell phones vs. pay phones. With pay phones, they were only available in certain places, weren't always reliable (or even working), and might be in use by others. Cell phones allow people to communicate where they want when they want. They may cost more to own, but to most people the convenience outweighs the costs. The same thing applies to cars.
Stupid comparison.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #19
hudkina

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Stupid comparison.
Not at all. A cell phone gives a person the freedom to communicate whenever and wherever he chooses. A car gives a person the freedom to travel whenever and wherever he chooses.
hudkina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #20
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Cuz a large proportion of us live in stuff like this: