daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #21
bogdymol
bogdymod

I don't like to drive on the motorway together with an unknown car. I usually stick to constant 130 km/h on the motorway, but others don't do this, so if I stay behind them they will eventally slow down for unknow reasons so I will have to overtake them. Usually I just overtake them from the start and try to keep a considerable distance between.

Here is an example of non-constant driving (watch the clip from 4:50). I was driving on Austrian A9 with a constant 130 km/h and I passed an Opel Vectra with Bosnian plates while driving at constant speed. Look what he did few seconds after:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #22
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I spotted many of them along this route. I guess they are visiting Friulan mountains.
I know some people go to mountains (and perhaps Udine), but last time I drove there I didn't see a single car from either country.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #23
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

only once I spotted a KP (quite logical) and LJ.

@bogdymol
that was definitely weird. I wouldn't call that befriending at all.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #24
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

I've done this before. My most memorable time was driving down to Fort Lauderdale about 10 years ago. I had driven overnight with my roommate from Delaware and we hit Jacksonville at about 6:30 and stopped for breakfast. After that, I drove through Florida. After being in the car so long, we wanted to get to Fort Lauderdale. We had progressively gotten faster by state, and by the time I started driving through Florida, we were doing over 100 mph (161km/h) the whole way, topping out at 120 mph. I was paranoid about a cop spotting us, but then out of nowhere a black woman in a Lincoln Continental, and an old couple in a Cadillac came up on us, and we were Indian running through much of the state. I think it's funny how there were three cars going over 100 mph for a hundred miles or more and nothing happened. That is my biggest instance of "safety in numbers".
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #25
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Befriending other drivers and just be silly is a great way to make time fly by.

We did it once on the entire way from Munich to Vienna.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #26
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I have, quite a few times. Funnely enough, I befriend mostly with Germans on long routes. I sometimes even get to talk to them after sticking together for sometimes hundreds of miles around Europe, until one of us either disappear for a fuel stop, or we both stop and get chatting. Duisburg to Calais I had a German van on my tail, and we got talking at Calais, A German van from WŘrzburg to Salzburg (I carried on towards Vienna, he skidded of towards Villach, but we had a coffee at Rosenheim) , Helsing÷r to R÷dbyhavn, a nice German gentlemen in his car, got talking on the ferry, Paris to Barcelona, started with a coffee together at Clermont Ferrand. He was actually a French van driver. An Italian van driver from Chamonix up until between Dijon and Troyes somewhere. I shot off when he started driving next to me, taking his t-shirt off and started masturbating.

In Helsinki I was behind this Finnish car at the check-in for the ferry to Stockholm. Two guys in that car, never saw them again until boarding the ferry from Helsinborg, Sweden to Helsing÷r, Denmark. They asked me the quickest way to Calais (I had UK plates on my van) so they followed me all the way to Utrecht where we had a meal together. I was spending the weekend with relatives in Rotterdam before continiung to England.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #27
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I've done this before. My most memorable time was driving down to Fort Lauderdale about 10 years ago. I had driven overnight with my roommate from Delaware and we hit Jacksonville at about 6:30 and stopped for breakfast. After that, I drove through Florida. After being in the car so long, we wanted to get to Fort Lauderdale. We had progressively gotten faster by state, and by the time I started driving through Florida, we were doing over 100 mph (161km/h) the whole way, topping out at 120 mph. I was paranoid about a cop spotting us, but then out of nowhere a black woman in a Lincoln Continental, and an old couple in a Cadillac came up on us, and we were Indian running through much of the state. I think it's funny how there were three cars going over 100 mph for a hundred miles or more and nothing happened. That is my biggest instance of "safety in numbers".
I do this all the time on my road trips, like in the example above. It's always good to have a "safety net" of cars going the same speeds as you. Every now and then you'll find someone who is driving about the same as you and you guys will go back and forth between each other.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote