daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #2601
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Update by [He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named] on yimby forums
Fixed this for you.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2016, 03:02 AM   #2602
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Hugh Ferriss depicts opening night, 1925. From JDS Instagram:

Old January 28th, 2016, 03:29 AM   #2603
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Got to love those Ferriss charcoal renders -- way back before any computer, and so dramatic.

I'm glad the recital hall is getting rebuilt/restored. JDS continues to impress with this project.

Crowns n' Spires liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:59 PM   #2604
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28145

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
That is a very cool idea. I hope they can rebuilt it accurately.

RémonM liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #2605
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Rumor has it that JDS is meeting with the building trades council and this project may go union
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 01:02 AM   #2606
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
Rumor has it that JDS is meeting with the building trades council and this project may go union
That Would Certainly Be a Shame! It would certainly delay the completion of the building, raise the costs and not add anything to the building itself.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 01:16 PM   #2607
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
That Would Certainly Be a Shame! It would certainly delay the completion of the building, raise the costs and not add anything to the building itself.
NY is a Union town, and with the increased scrutiny on the deaths of laborers who were nonunion it may be more prudent to have people who (for the most part) know what they are doing safety wise. Also non having union workers reporting your site to the D.O.B. every five minutes for safety violations is a plus too.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 09:54 PM   #2608
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Also non having union workers reporting your site to the D.O.B. every five minutes for safety violations is a plus too.
Yes, I too prefer my laborers to roll over and take it. Safety standards! Ha! What sissies!

SMCYB, The_Dude, bodegavendetta liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #2609
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

I just had to reply to some of the most recent posts concerning the workers' safety. Construction work has plenty of dangers. From falls, working with powered machinery, working from heights, weather and a myriad of other dangers that may or may not not be obvious to spectators (such as on this forum). The work is quite different from those employed doing "desk jobs."

Because of the nature of the work being performed, one way to help ensure the safety of the workers is by organizing. Let's not forget, that while spectators on this forum are clamoring for speed in construction, let's also not forget, that these workers have families that they would like to come home to at the end of their shifts.

I myself was a driver of heavy trucks (tractor-trailers, roll-on/roll-off trucks, car carriers) and a retired member of the Teamsters Union, and I realize the importance of having a union to back you up.

While I enjoy watching new buildings go up, I never forget, that it's the workers on the job who do the actual work of constructing them. Let's think about them while they perform their work, and wish them safety on the job.
Old February 4th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #2610
Number5
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Lots of tax evading union haters with money here.
Number5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #2611
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57845

Oh please...

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Msradell, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #2612
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5 View Post
Lots of tax evading union haters with money here.
I hate the unions because they're redundant today and I've never had anything remotely resembling a decent experience with one. They were happy to take money from me though. Gave me absolutely nothing in return but they did take my money. So...

And I don't evade taxes either.

Msradell, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #2613
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
I hate the unions because they're redundant today and I've never had anything remotely resembling a decent experience with one. They were happy to take money from me though. Gave me absolutely nothing in return but they did take my money
This forum is about skyscraper construction, and I would prefer to keep on topic on such, but since the direction in the last few posts has taken a turn about organized labor, I feel compelled to reply.

Spocket,
I am sorry that you had what you quoted above in your experience with your union. You did not expound on your experience, but I certainly wished that your experience could have been better.

Unions are not redundant, by any means. When you, as an individual have a grievance, depending on your employer, you may either have the issue resolved, whether it is a personnel, safety, or procedural, or you may not. Since employment, by its very nature, is an unequal contract between the employer and the worker, wherein the employer wields far more power, more likely whatever grievance you may have may not be resolved. In some cases, raising issues may result in termination. Most employment offers include such wording "termination can occur without notice" or something along those lines, reinforcing the unequal arrangement between worker and employer.

Folks may say "unions have done nothing for me", but remember the things we take for granted: the 8 hour workday (although people are working longer these days!), weekends off, personal and sick days. People fought (and died, I may add) to give workers a shot of a better life for themselves and their children. Don't get me wrong, for sure there have been corruption, and graft in some unions, but on the whole being a union member does have its benefits. In a country like ours (USA), where the income inequality has gone through the roof (to the stratosphere), workers need all the help they need just to survive, while a few folks at the top reap the rewards.

Okay, back on topic, and let's build skyscrapers.
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #2614
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

As of Tuesday

It will soon crack street level (those columns have reached street level!), but will need to be several stories up to actually see it from the street, less obscured.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #2615
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Yea it should be above ground any day now.
I'm still puzzled how they plan to build that thing with the existing steel from Steinway.

Also to be noted, most of the big boys are now above ground or at street level. Just waiting on 125 Greenwich and (probably not till next year) 1 Vanderbilt. Tho I'm not sure what the status of 35 HY is.

By me

spectre000, BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #2616
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

[QUOTE=Ghostface79;130536641]
I'm still puzzled how they plan to build that thing with the existing steel from Steinway.

..What do you mean?..
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 07:10 PM   #2617
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 97

[QUOTE=Ghostface79;130536641

Also to be noted, most of the big boys are now above ground or at street level. Just waiting on 125 Greenwich and (probably not till next year) 1 Vanderbilt. Tho I'm not sure what the status of 35 HY is.

By me
[/QUOTE]

15 & 35 Hudson Yards and 125 Greenwich Street should be above ground in a matter of a couple of months but yeah 1 Vanderbilt is at least a year off from fully rising but it's coming!

This one however, will be among the most exciting to watch go up considering how slender it is. I'd imagine that it will rise fairly quickly because of that fact.
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #2618
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2611

For me, Hudson Yards is the most exciting to watch because there's a bunch of towers going up at the same time. This one will surely be interesting, but I'm more interested in seeing the exterior than the skeleton. Same with Verrer and 290CPS, wanna see the design take shape, not just the structure. Don't care how slender it is, just wanna see that terra cotta cladding.

DinoVabec liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #2619
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post

..What do you mean?..
The steel from the original Steinway building is still there although the tower seems to be ready to rise. As you can see in the renders, the tower rises above where the exposed steel from the Steinway building currently stands.
I just don't understand how they'll incorporate the old steel into the structure of the new tower.

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; February 6th, 2016 at 08:34 PM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 11:59 PM   #2620
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Well, unlike concrete, steel is pretty easy to use again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
For me, Hudson Yards is the most exciting to watch because there's a bunch of towers going up at the same time. This one will surely be interesting, but I'm more interested in seeing the exterior than the skeleton. Same with Verrer and 290CPS, wanna see the design take shape, not just the structure. Don't care how slender it is, just wanna see that terra cotta cladding.

Imagine if they build the steel to the top and then start with the cladding.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
105 west 57th street, 107 west 57th street, 111 west 57th street, stairway to heaven, steinway tower