daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #2621
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
The steel from the original Steinway building is still there although the tower seems to be ready to rise. As you can see in the renders, the tower rises above where the exposed steel from the Steinway building currently stands.
I just don't understand how they'll incorporate the old steel into the structure of the new tower.

I don't think they can do that. This is a reinforced concrete tower, those old I beams have no place in this design.
I also do not think this is going full steam ahead just yet. There's talking about whether it's going union or not and there's not much activity on the site. 50 West street is practically done and I think this was already supposedly 'under construction' when that one was sill a hole in the ground.
If I had to make a wild guess I'd say they'll keep the snail pace until they figure out the union/non union issue and keep it formally under construction in order to not stir things up with the investors but it'll really start shooting up a little later.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:27 AM   #2622
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

That would make more sense. However, that brings another question, why would they build the foundation up to ground level if there's more demo left to be done? Why not just finish the demo work first?
I can't recall a construction site working on the the foundation and elements of the superstructure before finishing up demo work. Sounds like a logistical nightmare especially in such a tiny site.

Last edited by Ghostface79; February 7th, 2016 at 04:45 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #2623
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
That would make more sense. However, that brings another question, why would they build the foundation up to ground level if there's more demo left to be done? Why not just finish the demo work first?
I can't recall a construction site working on the the foundation and elements of the superstructure before finishing up demo work. Sounds like a logistical nightmare especially in such a tiny site.
in some cases the basement\foundation systems of the proposed building are designed to integrate themselves into the foundations of the structures adjacent to the site, if you consider this buildings irregular footprint, and all the lateral load transfer in the above grade structure, the demolition of all the structures at once could perhaps be cause to damage the substructures of adjacent property(s) sometimes a structure must not be removed until the new structure is built adjacent to, or around it to offset the possibility of this damage,

i would be interested in seeing this buildings foundation plan, i'll bet it's intense !

Ghostface79 liked this post
TICONLA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #2624
punchydj

Likes (Received): 279

Hi guys!

There is the progress during the month of January.

Thank you!!!

Zaz965, jhalsey166 liked this post
punchydj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:43 PM   #2625
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Because it is not just demolition work. In the existing building they seem to be doing some works to reinforce/modify the structure in order to be able to slice that small piece of the building.

While they are doing that work, they can gain time working with the fundations, since not necessarily both works collide. The existing building only overlaps with a small part of the footprint of the new tower and they would have take the provisons so they can began working in the fundations.

I think they will remove that part of the existing building, but doing that wouldn't take much work or time. They can do that just in a couple of days, it is just some guys with acetylene cutters that can do that job pretty quickly.

The work that must have take them all this time is the reinforcement of the existing structure, a work that is being made in the inside of the building so we are not able to see it, but removing the part of the building they want to get rid of, shouldn't take so long.

I am not sure of what is the work they are doing inside, so it is just a guess, but I think they are doing something similar to this:

Torch, Ghostface79, Zaz965, SMCYB, Manitopiaaa and 5 others liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #2626
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Likes (Received): 756

Maybe they don't remove the old steel colums at all, and just let them stand as they are. So the old stainway may remain structurally like before, and the new tower has his load bearing walls inside the old building, but without both buildings beeing attached to each other (structurally, obviously they have to on the facade, roof, surface, etc to keep the weather outside).

But how it will turn out I don't now either. We'll see in the future
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #2627
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post

Hugh Ferriss depicts opening night, 1925. From JDS Instagram:

Very cool idea to recreate this hall!!!. Just love it!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 05:43 AM   #2628
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5309

From yesterday.

Looks like the tower is about to take off. I am surprised there was no piling or any excavation more than about 10 ft done. Can somebody explain how a 1400 ft super slim tower be constructed without deep foundation?
Old February 15th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #2629
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3188

^ Bedrock ^
Munwon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #2630
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Who can indentify the two supercolums facing 57th street in the construction pics by ILNY?
The entrance to the elevator gallery is also already visible in the shape of the rebar, I think.

Floorplan might help:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...r_revealed.php

SSD Darth Vader, Zaz965, saintm liked this post
Crowns n' Spires no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #2631
(:

Likes (Received): 229

I believe the right one is on the left side of the crane tower and the left one is just to the right of the left wall. Remember that the tower is recessed from 57th and not centered in the hole.

Crowns n' Spires, Zaz965 liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #2632
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
^ Bedrock ^
They dug down at least 40-50 feet and then piled down from there probably a hundred feet or more. Since there is no parking, a deep basement is rather useless other than for utilities

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

jhalsey166 liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 08:03 AM   #2633
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
They dug down at least 40-50 feet and then piled down from there probably a hundred feet or more. Since there is no parking, a deep basement is rather useless other than for utilities
I have been watching construction progress, they did not dig more than 10-15ft, also there was no piling.
ILNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #2634
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
From yesterday.

Looks like the tower is about to take off. I am surprised there was no piling or any excavation more than about 10 ft done. Can somebody explain how a 1400 ft super slim tower be constructed without deep foundation?
Deep foundations connect a tower to bedrock. In Manhattan there are lots of places where bedrock is basically at the surface so there is no need for the typical deep foundations.

ILNY liked this post
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #2635
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

I guess this means that when the tower is connected to the bedrock, the whole bedrock functions as fundation? It's probably comparable solid as concrete.
Old February 16th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #2636
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowns n' Spires View Post
I guess this means that when the tower is connected to the bedrock, the whole bedrock functions as fundation? It's probably comparable solid as concrete.
It means the soil [bedrock in this case] is strong enough to support the weight of the tower and added vertical reactions that result from lateral forces such as wind. Its like a person standing on solid rock, instead of sand.

ILNY liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #2637
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

As some have said, the bedrock is basically at the surface here, so they can just sit the building atop it.

But I read that since the building is so slim, they have to anchor it to the rock, rather than just putting it above it, as in a more broader building they would be able to do.

I read that they had to introduce some cables several meters, diagonally, into the bedrock so they can't prevent the builing to topple. (I think they did the same with 432 Park ave)

I don't know what kind of equipment they use for that, but I guess it is not very big, so that would another work that they were doing in the past months (besides internal work in the existing building) but we weren't able to saw it, and it looked like they weren't progressing.

JuanPaulo liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #2638
skyscraperbarcelona

Likes (Received): 8

I just really surprised how they could build a super slim tower in this super small place, it must be a surprising technique .I just hope this building won't crash, because it looks really scary.
skyscraperbarcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #2639
Oatmeal

Likes (Received): 476

Any updates?
Oatmeal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #2640
rnsone

Likes (Received): 6

1,495 feet high?

Curbed has an interview with the interior designer of this building and he is quoted as saying the building will be 1,495 feet high.
rnsone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
105 west 57th street, 107 west 57th street, 111 west 57th street, stairway to heaven, steinway tower