daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #2901
Oatmeal

Likes (Received): 476

Hello guys! Picture updates here!

PICTURES BY 600WEST218

July 9th

http://i.imgur.com/FhHtZkT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gUQTbp0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tZ7c1Yh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dUkz458.jpg

sgollis, Manitopiaaa, Zaz965, McSky, Shenkey and 2 others liked this post
Oatmeal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #2902
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
I think the relative slowness in the construction of this building has little to do with the fact it is being buid non union (and I am pro union)

It has some characteristics that make it difficult to build it quicker, at least for now:

1) Although it has small plates, the vertical elements, columns and shear walls are pretty big, thus, they need mor time to pour them.

2) I think they don't have a concrete pump yet, pouring with buckets is slower.

3) They can't install a climbing system until they surpass the neighboring buildings, installing all the formwork by hand is, again, slower.

4)The building is attached to a historic building, making all the works more complex.

5) The space they have to work is tiny, making delivering and stocking materials, a logistic nightmare.
i dont agree. This looks like the project is almost entirely stalled/on hold.

even in that small plate they should do a floor every 7 days, maybe 8, and i think im being generous.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 01:00 AM   #2903
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post
Hello guys! Picture updates here!

PICTURES BY 600WEST218

July 9th

Links
Hi Oatmeal,

Thanks for the update.
However simply by putting the following code before and after every link the photo´s become directly visible on this page: [IMG]"Link"[/IMG]

Like this:

Cheers!

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales

sgollis, Munwon, Zaz965, 0095914, erbse and 4 others liked this post
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #2904
Oatmeal

Likes (Received): 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
Hi Oatmeal,

Thanks for the update.
However simply by putting the following code before and after every link the photo´s become directly visible on this page
Oh thank you! I am so sorry! I didn't know they weren't visible on the page without that. I'll do it next time. Forgive me lol

King of Construction liked this post
Oatmeal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #2905
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Thanks for posting those pictures.

Is there anyone here who knows what the steel work in the first three pictures is?

Is that NEW steel work that is going up as part of this construction? If so, will the whole building be steel and what is the concrete part we also see?

Or is it steel work from an old building where the masonry has been stripped away? And if that is the case what will come of it? Will it be incorporated into this new tower?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #2906
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Thanks for posting those pictures.

Is there anyone here who knows what the steel work in the first three pictures is?

Is that NEW steel work that is going up as part of this construction? If so, will the whole building be steel and what is the concrete part we also see?

Or is it steel work from an old building where the masonry has been stripped away? And if that is the case what will come of it? Will it be incorporated into this new tower?
I believe it's the last options, steel from an old building. That would explain the slow progress of the "new" construction so far.
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #2907
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbnca View Post
I believe it's the last options, steel from an old building. That would explain the slow progress of the "new" construction so far.
Thanks.

Do you believe it will be removed as the new building is constructed, or will it be incorporated into the new building?
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #2908
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Thanks.

Do you believe it will be removed as the new building is constructed, or will it be incorporated into the new building?
I'm not a structural engineer, but I don't believe you could remove that structural steel without the old building collapsing. I believe they will incorporate that into the new building.

I hope some expert on this forum is able to confirm!
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:39 PM   #2909
goodybear

Likes (Received): 690

So Excited to see this beauty begin to make an impact on the skyline maybe in the next year when it is tall enough! Just a question though: How come the Empire State Building rose up to 4 floors per week during construction and new skyscrapers only rise around 1 floor per week? Technologies have evolved but building is slower???
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 10:45 PM   #2910
AndyMEng

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
I'm not a structural engineer, but I don't believe you could remove that structural steel without the old building collapsing. I believe they will incorporate that into the new building.

If I'm not mistaken, the steel is the structure for the old Steinway building, with the component materials stripped away, including cladding, partition walls, and the concrete floor pans (see in the photos, they are cut back to the limit of where the new building will go).

Its incredibly complex on the face of it... strip away part of a building, leaving the frame intact (and likely having to beef up some of the connections/interiors of the old tower) then build-out a new concrete structure that will support a gigantic tower, weaving your way around the original steel structure.

As for the time required to complete each floor, it seems to me that they're on the 5th or 6th floor above grade? So, about a week and a half per floor? Seems fast enough for the crazy complex work they're doing...

cnbnca, Crowns n' Spires, goodybear liked this post
AndyMEng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #2911
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:

All Alt 2 work (renovation) must have drawings prepared by NY Licensed PE.

So an engineer did look at it and determine that whatever is there must remain temporarily or permanently, depending on what the design calls for.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 01:09 AM   #2912
dendenden

Likes (Received): 204

Man, this tower gives me so much anxiety because of its slow pace! I feel as if this started around the same time as 220 CPS and The Nordie Tower but is so behind.
dendenden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 01:25 AM   #2913
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I understand the complexity of this job and the time it takes. I have patience because I know the result will be worth it.

Ch.W, Londonese liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 06:33 AM   #2914
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

There is a bit of trouble on this one, NYTimes reports that they are delaying marketing. The article is alarmist IMO. I think Brexit helps the case for NYC.

From the article:

In and around West 57th Street, known as Billionaires’ Row, “it’s not just slow — it’s come to a complete halt,” said Dolly Lenz, a broker to the superrich. She attributed the lack of activity along the Midtown corridor to oversupply, little differentiation among glassy ultraluxury units and peak pricing. “That’s a death knell,” she said.

Developers of the skyscraper planned for 111 West 57th Street said they would postpone marketing materials and events for condominiums in the building, some priced as high as $57 million, until next year.
WonderlandPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #2915
goodybear

Likes (Received): 690

The first things that came to mind when I saw the facade of this tower in the renders were the WTC towers. Nice to see New York finally building skyscrapers with elements visually similar to the twins. I dont know if this was intentional or not. The design looks amazing, at first I thought it was meh, but now it is one of my favorite designs of all time, especially the setbacks and the gold trim, which gives it a nice touch.
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:02 PM   #2916
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
There is a bit of trouble on this one, NYTimes reports that they are delaying marketing. The article is alarmist IMO. I think Brexit helps the case for NYC.

From the article:

In and around West 57th Street, known as Billionaires’ Row, “it’s not just slow — it’s come to a complete halt,” said Dolly Lenz, a broker to the superrich. She attributed the lack of activity along the Midtown corridor to oversupply, little differentiation among glassy ultraluxury units and peak pricing. “That’s a death knell,” she said.

Developers of the skyscraper planned for 111 West 57th Street said they would postpone marketing materials and events for condominiums in the building, some priced as high as $57 million, until next year.
I saw that article. It is scary. It does sound like this project and Nordstrom tower could be at risk. Projects have been delayed before even when already under construction.
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:12 PM   #2917
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
I saw that article. It is scary. It does sound like this project and Nordstrom tower could be at risk. Projects have been delayed before even when already under construction.
The New York Times article about the slowing top end of the market is quite alarmist. But then, that is how you sell papers, and everyone loves a bit of schadenfreude at the expense of the rich.

The delay in marketing this building has been known for months, though. As Bloomberg reported back in March (also on Curbed), it is a logical decision when you have to compete for customers. Once this building is rising and some of the cladding is installed, it will easily beat the competition from its more bland neighbors.
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:11 AM   #2918
dendenden

Likes (Received): 204

My heart can't take this

goodybear, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
dendenden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #2919
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 608

Cannot wait to see it go vertical!

As long as it is between the other buildings surrounding it, it is very difficult to get an impression about the progress.
Looks like very slow, but as stated somewhere above: it will be a complicated 3D puzzle...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
oud-Rotterdammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 06:43 AM   #2920
Jogaly

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
Can someone please explain to me how the panorama tower in Miami is 253 meters and 83 stories, while this beauty will be 438 meters and 80 stories? Does this tower have really high ceilings or is the top portion unusable?

Not all towers are equal. Some are for residential or hotel use and others are for corporate use.
Generally towers designed for corporate use have more height between floorplate and floorplate, while towers for other uses have less height between floorplate and floorplate.
Jogaly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
105 west 57th street, 107 west 57th street, 111 west 57th street, stairway to heaven, steinway tower