daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2013, 10:53 PM   #521
TonyNYC

Likes (Received): 31

AWESOME BUILDING!!!

Supertalls under contruction - 1 WTC, 4 WTC(297m), 157 w 57, 432 Park

Next Wave of Supertalls - 107 W 57, 225 w 57, Tower Verre, 1 Vandebilt Ave, Girasole, Hudson Yards North Tower, Manhattan West South Tower, 3 WTC, 2 WTC, 80 South st

Plus from 250 M or so up to 295M.. 425 Park, 45 E 60, The Corset, Equinox Tower, Coach Tower, MW north tower, 30 Park PL, 56 Leonard, 78 Trinity, 50 West st

Not even mentioning the rest of the hudson yards...did I miss anything?

What a crazy time in NYC..BOOMING!!!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by TonyNYC; October 1st, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
TonyNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:15 PM   #522
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

when i first saw this i rolled my eyes, but now i am CAPS LOCK EXCITED!!! that is one ofe the most unique and amazing facades iv ever seen

msquaredb, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
nycaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:33 PM   #523
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

BREAKING NEWS

Landmarks Won't Oppose SHoP's West 57th Street Tower
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/1...reet_tower.php

Quote:
JDS Development Group acquired the Steinway Building, and, more importantly, its 45,000 square feet of air rights, for $46 million back in March. Six months later, they announced that instead of building a super tall, super skinny tower designed by Cetra/Ruddy, they would be building a super-duper-tall, super skinny tower designed by frequent collaborators SHoP Architects. The tower will be 1,350 feet tall, way taller than neighboring Tower of Babel One57 (1,004 feet), but not quite as tall as 432 Park (1,396 feet). JDS also backed a successful effort to make Steinway Hall an interior landmark (and will embark on a meticulous restoration), possibly in an attempt to curry favor with the Landmarks Preservation Commission, to whom they presented the plans for the tower this morning.
Quote:
JDS could actual build an as-of-right 1,350-foot tower at the street front without Landmarks Commission approval, but have elected instead to set the building back, deferring somewhat to the landmarked Steinway Building but also necessitating the demolition of a back portion of that building. The proposed tower would also exist partially on the landmark site, giving the LPC the power to review the whole thing.

For the most part, the Commission took no issue with the proposal, although a few had qualms about minor aspects—the height of the glass street wall, for example, or the question of how much of the tower was on the landmark site and how much wasn't—that prevented the building from being approved...yet. However, every commissioner but one expressed the opinion that the building itself was basically worth approval on the merit of its impressive design.

The lone dissenter, commissioner Margery Perlmutter, was confused by the willingness of her fellow commissioners to sign off so readily on the partial demolition of an individual landmark, and criticized the "cynicism" of some of her colleagues, saying, "We're looking at this 'for the good of the city' as if there's no other place to build a tower." Despite Perlmutter's objections, it seems more than likely that the plans, with a few minor tweaks, will be approved next time they are presented to the Landmarks Commission.
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:34 PM   #524
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Great!

N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:35 PM   #525
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Yes! Today has been the best day in a long, long time.
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:47 PM   #526
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

SKYSCRAPER NERD, GROUP HUG!!
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:48 PM   #527
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

The Landmarks Commission should approve this ASAP. One of the keys to properly maintaining landmarks in NYC is to keep them economically viable and productive. When buildings become structurally obsolete, they have a greater chance of falling into disrepair. The money to maintain them has to come from somewhere.

This proposal will retain the 57th and 58th street frontage of the Steinway building, as well as almost all of the central portion (on the west side of the plot) and the central roof. Who cares if a small portion near the middle is demolished? The existing Steinway will be renovated inside and become a residential structure. It will become part of a billion dollar skyscraper. That's the best way to assure the future of the Steinway.

The glass atrium on 57th, and the installation of stone on the east side of the lower Steinway wall (which will remain visible, as the tower will be set back from 57th Street) is icing on the cake. Also, the entire east side of the 57th Street Steinway tower will remain visible, instead of being blocked or partially blocked by a new tower close to the front of the original 43-foot-wide plot.

Big win for everyone.

Last edited by McSky; October 2nd, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:52 PM   #528
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The "Stairway to Heaven" is amazing.

So that's the final design? I hope it is, because it'd be GREAT! The "stairs" are a little steep, though.

I can't believe it got this much of a height reduction, still. I would have loved a 1,600 foot tower in Midtown. THAT would be revolutionary. When I say "in the 1500 feet category", I really don't mean 1 World Trade Center. When I say this, I mean that vanity height is not counted (except for a few exceptions like the Burj Khalifa). I mean like the Lotte World Tower (which also has a little exception), or Pentominium in Dubai. Not like Shanghai World Financial Center (the giant hole takes away from everything) or Taipei 101 (its roof height is like 1,400 feet, I think).

But I'm still so happy there's a design. And not just any design, but a great design. Maybe they can add a spire. Just kidding.

Last edited by onewtclover; October 1st, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:54 PM   #529
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Render Roundup

Landmarks Won't Oppose SHoP's West 57th Street Tower

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:02 AM   #530
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

you have got to be kidding me!!! this is one brilliant design!!! finally something original and truly worthy of this city!!!

@desertpunk

I owe you 6 pack of beer!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

L.A.F.2., nycaddict, #99, desertpunk, bozenBDJ and 1 others liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:04 AM   #531
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
So that's the final design? I hope it is, because it'd be GREAT! The "stairs" are a little steep, though.

I can't believe it got this much of a height reduction, still. I would have loved a 1,600 foot tower in Midtown. THAT would be revolutionary. When I say "in the 1500 feet category", I really don't mean 1 World Trade Center. When I say this, I mean that vanity height is not counted (except for a few exceptions like the Burj Khalifa). I mean like the Lotte World Tower (which also has a little exception), or Pentominium in Dubai. Not like Shanghai World Financial Center (the giant hole takes away from everything) or Taipei 101 (its roof height is like 1,400 feet, I think).

But I'm still so happy there's a design. And not just any design, but a great design. Maybe they can add a spire. Just kidding.
You are confusing this with 217/225 West 57th, which still has a chance of being 1,550ft+. This tower went from 600 to 700 to 900 to 1200 to 1350 feet lol.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:05 AM   #532
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

I get the strange feeling that if this building was a human, most of the people here would want to have intercourse with it.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:08 AM   #533
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I get the strange feeling that if this building was a human, most of the people here would want to have intercourse with it.
lol! it looks like the LMC already had the pleasure!

Honestly with news of LMC definitely not having any issues with height with this one.. (Admittedly, even if they took issue, they could do nothing about the height)

It bodes well for the Nordstrom project. Hopefully Adrian Smiths design will have the same effect tonight at the hearing. (Again LMC cannot do anything about the height of the Nordstrom because it is of right) Hopefully, they will find the cantilever respectful with the LM building and lets get this thing started.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:12 AM   #534
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

reminds me of Coruscant

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:14 AM   #535
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

I have a feeling that 225 W 57th will remind us of Coruscant more than this building will.

McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:16 AM   #536
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

First time in SSC history were I checked out the Proposed Supertalls Forum only, and didn't even bother to take a look at the Supertalls section. The whole time I'm switching between 111W and 217W back and forth lol.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:17 AM   #537
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Why don't you check your User Control Panel for updates?

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:19 AM   #538
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

This the best design on 57th st. so far, by far.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:23 AM   #539
Vertical_Gotham

Agreed. Hopefully AS+GG for Nordstrom will Wow us!

For me, the Steinway is up there with Tower Verre. Both very futuristic and bold especially for NYC but fits in like a glove. Shop really hit the ball out of the park with this one. I luv it.

L.A.F.2., ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:36 AM   #540
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
reminds me of Coruscant
[IMG]http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/f6/Coruscant_skyscrapers.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://images.wikia.com/swtor/de/images/f/fc/Coruscant_skyline.jpg[IMG]
We're getting there....

image hosted on flickr

Central Park View by night by Eric Demarcq, on Flickr

nycaddict, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
105 west 57th street, 107 west 57th street, 111 west 57th street, stairway to heaven, steinway tower