daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #641
Richardcornish
BANNED

Likes (Received): 56

Oh man, this looks incredible
Richardcornish no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #642
Richardcornish
BANNED

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
All it needs now is financing. It shouldn't be too hard except if the economy crumbles, once again (2007-08).
I don't think that will happen, western economies are more stable now and not so dependant on the banking industry and financial sector, this should get financing easily, the whole world seems to be investing their money in New York and London right now, let the good times roll
Richardcornish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #643
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Yes.
nice!
was just wondering cause I thought it might've still need permission from the council for numerous stages etc but great news again!

how long would this take to get financing? I'm guessing the building will start rising in around a year due to digging and foundations on top
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #644
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

How deep do we think they'll have to dig the foundations for this? A building so thin, you'd think they really need to anchor it deep.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #645
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Text from CurbedNY:

The Landmarks Preservation Commission was sort of surprisingly okay with SHoP Architects' proposed 1,350-foot residential tower at 107 West 57th Street, the site of the landmarked Steinway Building (which will also be restored), when it was presented two weeks ago. While the commissioners did have a few concerns, they were for the most part related to the Steinway Building and not to the tower itself. At a second presentation this morning, SHoP addressed those concerns, revising their plans to demolish a much smaller portion of the structure taking up the Steinway Building's back courtyard and replacing the glass of the 57th Street atrium facade with a much clearer single-layered glass, so that observers at street level would be able to look through and see the landmarked building. The plans were approved, and so the 1,350-foot climb begins.

Does anyone have images of this back courtyard of the Steinway building?

Also, from the street level render of 111 W 57th, pedestrians could see through the glass just fine to see the re-clad east side of the Steinway, which might have been partially or completely blocked by a tower set right next to it, not set deep in the plot as the current plan. Won't single-layered glass be LESS LEED-COMPLIANT OH MY GOD.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #646
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

damn, i hope this gets financed as soon as possible
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #647
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
How deep do we think they'll have to dig the foundations for this? A building so thin, you'd think they really need to anchor it deep.
Probably about the same as 432 Park...there core and main column footings are about 60' down from grade. But you really do not have to go very deep (as little as ten feet in midtown to hit bedrock) The only reason they went as deep as they did at 432 is for garage and basement services..they blasted for 4-5 months as in some part sof the site rock was right on the surface...Many holes were drilled directly into the living rock then huge rebar cemented into the holes in the rock...footings were then poured on top...you an go back through the pictures of 432 and see exactly what they did...midtown foundations are incredibly strong.

MarshallKnight liked this post

Last edited by jconyc; October 15th, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #648
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Awesome!!! Let's get this bad boy going!

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #649
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Should be interesting to see the original wall of the neighbouring building through the ultra clear glass of this tower's lobby, from the outside.

L.A.F.2. liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #650
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1486771

Narrow tower, higher than Empire State Building, wins city approval
SHoP Architects-designed building on W. 57th St. is called 'daring' by Landmarks Commission. And it's not even the biggest tower in town.

By Matt Chaban
October 15, 2013

Quote:
Ever want to look down on the Empire State Building? How about from your apartment?

In three years, well-heeled buyers will be able to do that from the top floors of a 1,350-foot tower that won approval Tuesday.

The building’s roofline is 100 feet higher than New York’s famous skyscraper — minus its iconic antenna — and will rise like a serrated knife next to Steinway Hall on W. 57th St.

The new-old tandem, due for completion in 2016, will contain about 100 apartments. Construction should start next spring, and the famed piano company will move out of its 1925 home.

The designers said they got their inspiration for the sleek structure from early cloud-busters such as the Empire State and Woolworth buildings. “It really comes from ... these slender, tapering towers (but) rethinks them in a totally modern way,” said Gregg Pasquarelli, principal at SHoP Architects.

The tower would have only been 697 feet until the developers bought Steinway Hall — a deal that allowed for the building’s height to double, but also gave the Landmarks Preservation Commission the final say.

The approval was a no brainer, members said.

“It represents the best of both worlds of new construction and design and historic preservation,” Commission Chairman Robert Tierney said Tuesday.

Fellow commissioner Fred Bland called the combo “daring and smart.”

At only 60 feet wide, the JDS Development and Property Markets Group tower appears to defy gravity.

“It may be the skinniest building ever,” Pasquarelli said. “The ratio is something like 25-to-1.”

But it won’t be alone, as a parade of supertalls now march down W. 57th St.

Developer Gary Barnett is finishing up his 1,005-foot One57 on the other end of the block, and he also has plans for a 1,432-footer across from Carnegie Hall. And Harry Macklowe is currently building his 1,397-foot 432 Park Ave. on the eastern end of the stretch.

But Pasquarelli insisted his will be the best.

“It’s not something that could be been plucked off the skyline of Singapore or Hong Kong,” he said. “We’re all New York.”
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #651
Vertical_Gotham

^Construction should start in spring with completion date in 2016!

Old October 16th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #652
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
^Construction should start in spring with completion date in 2016!
Hopefully financing won't be a great deal. I love this tower already.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #653
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Hopefully financing won't be a great deal. I love this tower already.
if the developer says target date for breaking ground is in the spring of 2014, then I assume he is in the process and very close to securing.

I agree this tower will be a gem in the NY skyline. Epic.
Old October 16th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #654
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

So this will maybe start together with torre verre
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #655

Likes (Received): 368

A race!
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #656
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Doesn't feel like much of a race, considering the way things have been going for Verre. It's getting lapped.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #657
McSky

This tower is only 13.23 FAR (23,123 square foot lot and 306,000 square feet of "zoning floor area"). Imagine what might have happened with the 20-30 FAR they are talking about for the portion near Grand Central as part of the Midtown East re-zoning. There were limitations for this lot due to the landmarked building, but many future sites won't have that issue.

It didn't occur to me until now, but maybe they are encouraging tall buildings lining Park Avenue because it is so wide.

BTW, the Midtown East rezoning has passed the City Planning Commission, and should receive a final vote from the City Council sometime in November.

Last edited by McSky; October 17th, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #658
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I would have thought the bonus FAR only applies to office space, at least that is how it works at the Hudson Yards.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #659
McSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
I would have thought the bonus FAR only applies to office space, at least that is how it works at the Hudson Yards.
For the midtown zoning, there was talk about allowing a portion of residential space in the new zoning (something like 20%) but I'm not sure if that what was OK'ed by the City Planning Commission.
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #660
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
For the midtown zoning, there was talk about allowing a portion of residential space in the new zoning (something like 20%) but I'm not sure if that what was OK'ed by the City Planning Commission.
Yes the residential component was a crucial element for the plan being approved by the city.

Tags
105 west 57th street, 107 west 57th street, 111 west 57th street, stairway to heaven, steinway tower