daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #661
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

I don't fully understand. Is this issue about not being able to build this tower because it's going to be on top of a landmarked building? And then they're only demolishing a small part to make a compromise? That's smart. But am I right about the issue?

Also, why is the Steinway Building a landmark? Because all I know is that Steinway is the most famous piano company in the world.

And one final question: is "Steinway Tower" a nickname for this building that's about to be constructed? Because it'd be much more easier than calling it "107 West 57th Street" or "111 West 57th Street" or whatever. I want to call it the "Stairways to Heaven", but it doesn't exactly sound like a name. It's more like the "World Cultural Center" or something like that.
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #662
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

From this: ,

To This:

Incredible
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #663
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Recently, the Steinway building has had this above the entrance:

But the following photos from 1925 (the year The Steinway was completed) show the original sign, which will hopefully be replicated during the coming renovation:

Nice view of the upper reaches of the building, also from 1925:

Here's an interior shot from 1925, showing the now-landmarked interior. The old rug looks so much better than the current green one:

A look at the building recently, showing the roofs:

Last edited by McSky; October 17th, 2013 at 05:55 AM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #664
Greatdane

Likes (Received): 47

The Skinniest Skyscraper In NYC Is One Step Closer To Reality;

http://gizmodo.com/the-skinniest-sky...o-r-1446563249

Funkyskunk2 liked this post
Greatdane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #665
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

^ Why do they have to be so awkward with the thinnest, tallest tower description. Just say thinnest supertall. Done simple.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #666
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

The "Proposed Supertalls" section shows 12 projects for NYC alone (1 on hold, several in prep). 4 are u/c, and 4 completed. So we already got 20 (min.). It's time for some towers go get off the ground!
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #667
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
I don't fully understand. Is this issue about not being able to build this tower because it's going to be on top of a landmarked building? And then they're only demolishing a small part to make a compromise? That's smart. But am I right about the issue?

Also, why is the Steinway Building a landmark? Because all I know is that Steinway is the most famous piano company in the world.

And one final question: is "Steinway Tower" a nickname for this building that's about to be constructed? Because it'd be much more easier than calling it "107 West 57th Street" or "111 West 57th Street" or whatever. I want to call it the "Stairways to Heaven", but it doesn't exactly sound like a name. It's more like the "World Cultural Center" or something like that.
I think the Steinway Hall is a great example of New York's heritage architecture and I'm really pleased it is being restored and not demolished. The city has lost far too many masonry clad buildings to be replaced with glass and steel which becomes very boring when there are too many. Good also that because of it's height it is going to be slim and therefore not too dominating.

seb.nl liked this post
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #668
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Diagram is up!

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=84768
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=8

[email protected]!
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #669
FloripaNation
Não creio no que não vejo

Likes (Received): 11190

I don't like, tooooo thin

KillerZavatar liked this post
FloripaNation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #670
McSky

Love the new diagram of 107 W 57th! But the roof height is erroneously set to 1000 feet. I'll drop a message in the thread over there.

BTW, SSP is calling the building "111 W 57th". That's what the development LLC is called, and that is the ritziest address Extell can select. It's like poker: 3-of-a-kind.

Nice view of the Steinway from above. Some fantastic views will be possible from the roof of the Steinway once all these huge towers are up.

Last edited by McSky; October 18th, 2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #671
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

the roof height was set because the ctbuh data once featured this as a roof, seeing that they removed it i think i can change the roof height.

the name on SSP is set to the one CTBUH features but under the name you can see that it also features the whole plot for the project. 105-111
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #672
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28124

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
From this:

To This:

Incredible
Massive improvement.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #673
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

This is a masterpiece!

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #674
Imran520

Likes (Received): 3

Nice tower............................
Imran520 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #675
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

the roof height was set because the ctbuh data once featured this as a roof, seeing that they removed it i think i can change the roof height.

the name on SSP is set to the one CTBUH features but under the name you can see that it also features the whole plot for the project. 105-111

Midtown Manhattan has a lot of bulky and tall towers, so tall, thin towers are perfect imho to break the plateau. There are enough fat (office) buildings going up in the city (WTC, HY).

I know you made a comparison with the skinny Dubai Marina Towers, but you really can't compare it with New York. Midtown (and other parts of the city for that matter) is so dense and tall, that developers have no chance but to build taller in order to provide the best views.
Old October 19th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #676
McSky

Might as well change the name of this supertall to 111 West 57th:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=407

CCs77, -Corey- liked this post
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #677
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

This is a picture of some guy that went to the exhibit at the Skyscraper Museum. Unfortunately, even if you zoom in at the maximum size, the texts are blurry and unreadable.

It would be cool if somebody going to that exhibit takes more detailed pictures of those drawings along with the accompanying text.

image hosted on flickr

Skyscraper Museum por virtualawrence, en Flickr
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #678
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Midtown Manhattan has a lot of bulky and tall towers, so tall, thin towers are perfect imho to break the plateau. There are enough fat (office) buildings going up in the city (WTC, HY).

I know you made a comparison with the skinny Dubai Marina Towers, but you really can't compare it with New York. Midtown (and other parts of the city for that matter) is so dense and tall, that developers have no chance but to build taller in order to provide the best views.
not sure what it had to do with the post of mine you quoted, but yes that is a very thoughtful observation. i am not sure how close the buildings in new york are and if they really are spread out they will indeed not give that dubai marina feel where all buildings are right next to each other and also there is another building planned in new york that might become the tallest and might have not a thin appearance which also would break that up and take attention off of the very thin buildings a bit and instead make them side towers which thin buildings are perfect for. I might still prefer the hudson yard and Downtown area over midtown though, they just feel like they do not have so many "unique" buildings that kind of all try to get attention of the skyline.
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #679
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
not sure what it had to do with the post of mine you quoted, but yes that is a very thoughtful observation. i am not sure how close the buildings in new york are and if they really are spread out they will indeed not give that dubai marina feel where all buildings are right next to each other and also there is another building planned in new york that might become the tallest and might have not a thin appearance which also would break that up and take attention off of the very thin buildings a bit and instead make them side towers which thin buildings are perfect for. I might still prefer the hudson yard and Downtown area over midtown though, they just feel like they do not have so many "unique" buildings that kind of all try to get attention of the skyline.
I somehow quoted the wrong post.

Yes, I know what you mean by that Dubai Marina "feeling". For now, all the supertalls are quite spread out. We have three main clusters: WTC, HY, 57th. The only problem I see is 57th, where many towers are of similar height (434m,426m,411m). That's why so many of us hoped 225W57th would be at least 500m. The CPS skyline corridor needs a peek.
Old October 20th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #680
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

yeah a peak is needed and that peak should not be as thin as the other towers. didn't think 225W would be 500m tall, only heard rumors about that shvo building as a potential tallest candidate.

Tags
105 west 57th street, 107 west 57th street, 111 west 57th street, stairway to heaven, steinway tower