daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #801
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
SHOP says bronze/brass, not copper. And that's one of the best features of this tower. The east and west faces will be terra cotta and brass, and the north and south faces will have bronze.
The Bronze mullion detail in the tower is designed to and I think beautifully echos the bronze mullions in the Steinway Hall.

Last edited by jconyc; November 20th, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #802
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
SHOP says bronze/brass, not copper. And that's one of the best features of this tower. The east and west faces will be terra cotta and brass, and the north and south faces will have bronze.
The Bronze mullion detail in the tower is designed to and I think beautifully echos the bronze mullions in the Steinway Hall.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #803
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
Thanks! It makes sense now why they decided on the bronze. For continuity sake... I like it.

Kanto, sgollis liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:51 AM   #804
Vertical_Gotham

W57

http://www.skyscraper.org/EXHIBITION...ough_intro.php
Old December 3rd, 2013, 01:43 AM   #805
dm-civil
infraestructura!

Likes (Received): 449

:O most beautiful supertall ever!
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:44 AM   #806
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Did you go to the Skyscraper Museum?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 04:18 PM   #807
-Corey-
Je suis tout Ó vous

Likes (Received): 5222

That is so beautiful

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:10 PM   #808
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
In that model I can count about 67 floors above the glass entrance atrium until the crown.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM   #809
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Is there a model of Verre at this exhibit?

Subsequence liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:17 PM   #810
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Did you go to the Skyscraper Museum?

No I wish I did but I hope to try to find some time to trek all the way down to the tip of Southern Manhattan. lol

The only exhibits I have time for these days are for the Natural History and the Children's Museum. I hope to try to finagle my way downtown somehow with the fam for something and just say hey.. while we are here can daddy check out something for himself??

L.A.F.2., WillBuild, bozenBDJ, Kanto liked this post
Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:22 PM   #811
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Is there a model of Verre at this exhibit?
Unfortunately I don't think they have a model of the Verre there.

But... if you want to see the Hudson Yards project complete with models, renderings galore!!

So just a reminder for you local freaks!!

Quote:
There will be an eight-day exhibit at the Time Warner Center on December 5, which will feature models, videos, renderings and construction photos of the Hudson Yards project, co-sponsored by developers the Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group.
THIS! I will definitely swing by.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; December 3rd, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:47 PM   #812
RobertWalpole
BANNED

That's awesome. That's also the day that the 2015 Mustang is unveiled!

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:37 PM   #813
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

Tough choice.

L.A.F.2., ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:48 PM   #814
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Not if you're a TRUE skyscraper fan.

(A poor attempt at me trying to convince you to go to the 111 exhibit. )
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:51 PM   #815
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

According to some quick calculations, I'm estimating the floor to ceiling height will be 15 feet, leaving just over a foot between floors for structural integrity, quiet apartments, etc.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:56 PM   #816
RobertWalpole
BANNED

It was leaked!

L.A.F.2., Subsequence, iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old December 4th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #817
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
It was leaked!
Oh c'mon dude!! U had me wet there! Lol

All I saw was the header on my phone and it when I opened it, it was the pic of d mustang. I thought it was Nordstrom Tower renders leaked!!! Smfh!

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

WillBuild, Kanto liked this post
Old December 4th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #818
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

The official page of the exhibit.

I suspect that it will be largely the same as this recent exhibition at the Center for Achitecture.

By now some of those renderings will be outdated. Perhaps a rendering for the rumoured redesigned Equinox tower? One can dream..

Last edited by WillBuild; December 4th, 2013 at 06:29 AM.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #819
Vertical_Gotham

The skinny on SHoP’s new skinny tower: Architecture review
http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...-skinny-tower/

The JDS and Property Markets Group’s 57th Street tower is ushering in a new era of spindly and iconic structures

Quote:
In the course of reviewing architecture in New York City and elsewhere, I find that most buildings inspire in me either appreciation of their beauty, anger at their ugliness, or indifference to their banality. But the new condo tower planned on 57th Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues inspires something very different in me: fear.

From a 60-foot-wide base (roughly the width of two row-house lots), this structure will rise 1,350 feet and will be 100 feet taller than the Empire State Building, whose base — let us remember — stretches the full block from 33rd to 34th streets.

I suppose that SHoP Architects (the firm that designed 107 West 57th Street), as well as the developers (Kevin Maloney’s Property Markets Group, Michael Stern’s JDS Development and Atlantic Investors LLC), know what they are doing. But it’s difficult to look at the renderings of this pencil-thin structure without imagining that a strong wind might cause the entire thing to come tumbling down. Heretofore, SHoP, which designed the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn, has been more apt to build wide than tall.

Nearby, at Extell Development’s high-profile One57, the base is far wider and sturdier, as is the case with 432 Park Avenue, which is cast in a concrete frame. But this newest project looks to be confected of little more than some twig-like bits of steel and glass.

That said, since I am not likely to be able to inhabit the building, given the astronomical prices it will command, I do hope that this latest project reaches completion in something like the form of the renderings. It will be something to see! Heretofore, one had to go to places like Hong Kong to find such a pencil-thin ratio of width to height.

Indeed, our local authorities had prohibited it, precisely because of the dangers involved. But now that construction techniques have advanced, we’re starting to see more of these super-tall and ultrathin structures.

Perhaps the best example to date in the city is the unfairly maligned One Madison on 23rd Street. Completed, more or less, in 2010, this fine structure from the architecture firm Cetra/Ruddy looks almost squat compared to what is now being planned. And One Madison is nothing compared with 432 Park Avenue, which is being developed by the CIM Group and Harry Macklowe and designed by Rafael Vi˝oly. The Park Avenue building is already on the rise, and though it’s far from being topped out, once completed, it will stand out with a distinctiveness that will immediately command attention.

Surely 107 West 57th Street will be very different from 432 Park Avenue. It consists of glass curtain walls rather than a modular concrete frame, with setbacks rather than the uniform ascent of the Park Avenue building. But 107 West 57th Street promises to be equally distinctive and, when completed, will be only 48 feet shorter.

The developers of this planned skinny tower purchased Steinway Hall, which neighbors it immediately to the west. Designed by Warren & Wetmore, this landmark structure afforded them the air rights to build a 1,350-foot building, and although they could have built it as-of-right, they designed it to recede in stages above the midpoint. The Landmarks Preservation Commission voted almost unanimously to approve the design.

According to the renderings, the skyscraper will have a luminous, eight-story glass-enclosed atrium with a view of the eastern flank of Steinway Hall. (This was never possible before, but it is now that the neighboring building has been demolished to make way for the new skyscraper.)

Once the eastern fašade of Steinway Hall has a few new windows punched into its side, and a lovely expanse of dressed stone fitted into its base, it will look better than ever.

The skyscraper itself will be a continuous curtain wall with views in all directions, articulated by the strong textural presence of its bronze-and-white terra-cotta infill. Other than the building’s staggered set-backs, the treatment of the surface promises to be uniform throughout its height. Though the great aesthetic thrust of the new building will consist in its height and thinness, there promises to be skill in the detailing of its surface as well.

Together with the likes of 432 Park, this planned building suggests that, for the first time in nearly 80 years, we are at the dawn of a new age like the one that Rem Koolhaas described in a book titled “Delirious New York.” Published in 1978, the book was referring to the Art Deco aesthetic that accounted for some of the most exorbitant and distinctive structures of the early 1930s, among them the Empire State and Chrysler buildings, as well as the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue and the Squibb Building at 745 Fifth Avenue.

In fairly short order, I expect the skyline of Manhattan, certainly of Midtown, will begin to look very different, and to be defined by the spindly and iconic structures. They will stand out not only by virtue of their perilous thinness, but also by virtue of rising in relative isolation. If the high-rises of the past amounted to a forest of clashing and competing structures, the newest crop will suggest something more in the nature of a Japanese garden in which each of the plants seems to rise in glorious isolation, with its place in the sun and all the air and light it needs to live.

It’s always been one of the paradoxes of skyscrapers that their aesthetics can best be appreciated when they are allowed to rise — like the 2,700-foot-tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai — alone, with no tall buildings near them. In Manhattan, where it’s most necessary to build vertically, it’s usually impossible — because of the density of tall buildings — to see any building but the tallest.

That, however, is unlikely to be a problem in New York in the future, certainly not along Central Park South, which is being redefined by such tall and skinny towers as 107 West 57th Street. Because of their thinness, and because of the abundance of landmarked buildings in their midst, they will never be clustered together with the same density that we see near Wall Street.

Indeed, 57th Street, especially west of Fifth Avenue, is being fundamentally transformed. Quite aside from the development that’s taken place west of Eighth Avenue, the area from Park to Eighth Avenue is — a few exceptions aside — not only becoming far more residential, but apt to be the most expensive residential area in the city. Into this new environment, 107 West 57th Street will be shoe-horned, and will contribute greatly to the appeal of this crucial stretch of Manhattan.

Correction: In the December magazine story, “The skinny on SHoP’s new skinny tower,” TRD misstated the width of the building. It is 60 feet wide.

Kanto, Eric Offereins liked this post
Old December 6th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #820
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |Ž┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

New York’s New Delirium

Quote:
At 111 West 57th, the extreme slenderness ratio of 1:23 on the 1,350-foot-tall, 60-foot wide tower may prove to be a record-breaker. But the point is not to set a record, even though the building will take advantage of 15,000 PSI concrete, once a rare commodity, and a pendulum damper to achieve this feat, according to Michael Stern, managing partner of JDS Development.

“It’s all about the views,” Stern said, articulating the well-considered if tight mechanics of building on a through lot that narrows to 43 feet on the south side in order to provide apartments views up and down the island. Forty-four boutique apartments will be served by two passenger and one service elevator all the way to the top – and will be sure to command the same upper-eight-figure prices of its nearby neighbors.

Nevertheless, the building doesn’t want for architectural panache – Stern hired SHoP Architects to create what he calls a “modern version of a classic New York skyscraper, with feathered setbacks.” JDS wanted to do something different than the glassy towers that have risen of late – something “more Woolworth’s than Dubai – somehow we’d gotten away from the romance, and we want to get back to that,” Stern said.
Although he hired SHoP on the strength of their “nerve” for cladding the contentious Barclays Center in Kor-Ten steel, he insists he is not a big risk-taker.

“New York City multifamily housing is the most stable asset class in the world,” he said, citing his lengthy experience with mid-rise towers. “No one pays attention until you do a tall one.”
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
105 west 57th street, 107 west 57th street, 111 west 57th street, stairway to heaven, steinway tower