daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #821
Sirius2.0
Unregistered user

Likes (Received): 82

I believe that the building will be thin so that it wouldn't cast huge shadows on Central Park.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Sirius2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #822
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28210

I agree. And due to its location probably only in the (early) morning?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #823
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4606

Seems like we're about to see some action on the site; new permits filed. Things are about to get interesting, I'm excited!

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Old December 10th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #824
Guy Noir

Likes (Received): 168

There's potential for some very impressive lighting at the top of this thing.
Guy Noir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #825
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
Seems like we're about to see some action on the site; new permits filed. Things are about to get interesting, I'm excited!

Quote:
INSTALLATION OF 146 LINEAR FEET OF HEAVY DUTY SIDEWALK SHED DURING BUILDING ALTERATION
I guess the sidewalk shed is needed for protection of pedestrians during the construction?

Old December 10th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #826
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4539

When should we start to see demolition then? Is there actually that much to demolish?
I'm guessing we'll start to see this rising around next Autumn
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #827
ScanTron
ScanTron

Likes (Received): 159

Of all the proposals out there, this is the one that needs to be built.
ScanTron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #828
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

Sidewalk shed going up last two days.
This and Nordstrom will be going up at almost the same time.
The view at 57 and Broadway looking east in a couple of years will be incredible.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #829
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbino49 View Post
Sidewalk shed going up last two days. This and Nordstrom will be going up at almost the same time. The view at 57 and Broadway looking east in a couple of years will be incredible.
Would be fantastic if both towers would rise out of the Skyscraperwood at the same time .
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #830
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I cannot wait! Next Starting next year and moving forward will be exciting times in the 57th street corridor.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #831
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

The skinny on SHoP’s new skinny tower: Architecture review

The JDS and Property Markets Group’s 57th Street tower is ushering in a new era of spindly and iconic structures

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...-skinny-tower/

Quote:
In the course of reviewing architecture in New York City and elsewhere, I find that most buildings inspire in me either appreciation of their beauty, anger at their ugliness, or indifference to their banality. But the new condo tower planned on 57th Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues inspires something very different in me: fear.

From a 60-foot-wide base (roughly the width of two row-house lots), this structure will rise 1,350 feet and will be 100 feet taller than the Empire State Building, whose base — let us remember — stretches the full block from 33rd to 34th streets.

I suppose that SHoP Architects (the firm that designed 107 West 57th Street), as well as the developers (Kevin Maloney’s Property Markets Group, Michael Stern’s JDS Development and Atlantic Investors LLC), know what they are doing. But it’s difficult to look at the renderings of this pencil-thin structure without imagining that a strong wind might cause the entire thing to come tumbling down. Heretofore, SHoP, which designed the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn, has been more apt to build wide than tall.

Nearby, at Extell Development’s high-profile One57, the base is far wider and sturdier, as is the case with 432 Park Avenue, which is cast in a concrete frame. But this newest project looks to be confected of little more than some twig-like bits of steel and glass.

That said, since I am not likely to be able to inhabit the building, given the astronomical prices it will command, I do hope that this latest project reaches completion in something like the form of the renderings. It will be something to see! Heretofore, one had to go to places like Hong Kong to find such a pencil-thin ratio of width to height.

Indeed, our local authorities had prohibited it, precisely because of the dangers involved. But now that construction techniques have advanced, we’re starting to see more of these super-tall and ultrathin structures.

Perhaps the best example to date in the city is the unfairly maligned One Madison on 23rd Street. Completed, more or less, in 2010, this fine structure from the architecture firm Cetra/Ruddy looks almost squat compared to what is now being planned. And One Madison is nothing compared with 432 Park Avenue, which is being developed by the CIM Group and Harry Macklowe and designed by Rafael Vi˝oly. The Park Avenue building is already on the rise, and though it’s far from being topped out, once completed, it will stand out with a distinctiveness that will immediately command attention.

Surely 107 West 57th Street will be very different from 432 Park Avenue. It consists of glass curtain walls rather than a modular concrete frame, with setbacks rather than the uniform ascent of the Park Avenue building. But 107 West 57th Street promises to be equally distinctive and, when completed, will be only 48 feet shorter.

The developers of this planned skinny tower purchased Steinway Hall, which neighbors it immediately to the west. Designed by Warren & Wetmore, this landmark structure afforded them the air rights to build a 1,350-foot building, and although they could have built it as-of-right, they designed it to recede in stages above the midpoint. The Landmarks Preservation Commission voted almost unanimously to approve the design.

According to the renderings, the skyscraper will have a luminous, eight-story glass-enclosed atrium with a view of the eastern flank of Steinway Hall. (This was never possible before, but it is now that the neighboring building has been demolished to make way for the new skyscraper.)

Once the eastern fašade of Steinway Hall has a few new windows punched into its side, and a lovely expanse of dressed stone fitted into its base, it will look better than ever.

The skyscraper itself will be a continuous curtain wall with views in all directions, articulated by the strong textural presence of its bronze-and-white terra-cotta infill. Other than the building’s staggered set-backs, the treatment of the surface promises to be uniform throughout its height. Though the great aesthetic thrust of the new building will consist in its height and thinness, there promises to be skill in the detailing of its surface as well.

Together with the likes of 432 Park, this planned building suggests that, for the first time in nearly 80 years, we are at the dawn of a new age like the one that Rem Koolhaas described in a book titled “Delirious New York.” Published in 1978, the book was referring to the Art Deco aesthetic that accounted for some of the most exorbitant and distinctive structures of the early 1930s, among them the Empire State and Chrysler buildings, as well as the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue and the Squibb Building at 745 Fifth Avenue.

In fairly short order, I expect the skyline of Manhattan, certainly of Midtown, will begin to look very different, and to be defined by the spindly and iconic structures. They will stand out not only by virtue of their perilous thinness, but also by virtue of rising in relative isolation. If the high-rises of the past amounted to a forest of clashing and competing structures, the newest crop will suggest something more in the nature of a Japanese garden in which each of the plants seems to rise in glorious isolation, with its place in the sun and all the air and light it needs to live.

It’s always been one of the paradoxes of skyscrapers that their aesthetics can best be appreciated when they are allowed to rise — like the 2,700-foot-tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai — alone, with no tall buildings near them. In Manhattan, where it’s most necessary to build vertically, it’s usually impossible — because of the density of tall buildings — to see any building but the tallest.

That, however, is unlikely to be a problem in New York in the future, certainly not along Central Park South, which is being redefined by such tall and skinny towers as 107 West 57th Street. Because of their thinness, and because of the abundance of landmarked buildings in their midst, they will never be clustered together with the same density that we see near Wall Street.

Indeed, 57th Street, especially west of Fifth Avenue, is being fundamentally transformed. Quite aside from the development that’s taken place west of Eighth Avenue, the area from Park to Eighth Avenue is — a few exceptions aside — not only becoming far more residential, but apt to be the most expensive residential area in the city. Into this new environment, 107 West 57th Street will be shoe-horned, and will contribute greatly to the appeal of this crucial stretch of Manhattan.

Guy Noir, Sirius2.0, Eric Offereins liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 12:10 AM   #832
Guy Noir

Likes (Received): 168

This is currently my favorite. I like 432 a lot, but this thing is an instant classic. I can't wait to see it in person.

Guy Noir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:26 AM   #833
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1028

Has anyone remarked on the similarity of the design of this tower to the end of a leaf spring?

Frankly, I think the resemblance is wonderful; it's like a machine-turned tower, particular with the brass accents. Brass--what a fabulous material for ornamentation!

Edit: Damned picture doesn't work....

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM   #834
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Has anyone remarked on the similarity of the design of this tower to the end of a leaf spring?

Frankly, I think the resemblance is wonderful; it's like a machine-turned tower, particular with the brass accents. Brass--what a fabulous material for ornamentation!

Edit: Damned picture doesn't work....
Old December 21st, 2013, 01:35 PM   #835
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

interesting comparison. But the faced probably will not contribute to the towers structural flexing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Noir View Post
This is currently my favorite. I like 432 a lot, but this thing is an instant classic. I can't wait to see it in person.
I agree.

Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:32 AM   #836
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

Yeah it does look like a leaf spring. All these 57th street towers being built; the prices for units in city spire and Carnegie hall tower must be plummeting. Perhaps eventually a proposal will arise to build in the 1800 foot range adjacent to these structures... ?

Trex-md no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #837
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Walked by the site today. They aren't really building this thing in that tiny little lot that is there, are they? Are any buildings being knocked down for this? I just really, really can't believe this could be built in that tiny space I saw today.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #838
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

It will be roughly twice as wide (not quite, someone else will be able to give you the exact horizontal dimension), with half of the base built into the middle of Steinway Hall. Even that is incredibly narrow, but it's definitely going to be wider than that empty lot.

MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #839
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

There's a truck with drilling-type equipment on site today (26th Dec).

ZZ-II, Munwon, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #840
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

i've the feeling this thread will be in the U/C section very soon
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
105 west 57th street, 107 west 57th street, 111 west 57th street, stairway to heaven, steinway tower