daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #981
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

They're digging on 225, not this one yet.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #982
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

I also thought they're digging already, but seems i was wrong too.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #983
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

Take that Nimbys! The Cuoz as usual is siding with us

NYC’s coming ‘supertowers’ are nothing to fear
http://nypost.com/2014/02/15/nycs-co...thing-to-fear/
Who’s afraid of “supertowers” near Central Park?
Quote:
Most of the city’s inflexible preservationists, ivory-tower urbanists, community “activists,” pandering politicians, architectural critics and architects themselves, except for those fortunate enough to design them.

The five ultra-tall towers rising or planned along 57th Street and Central Park South were conceived to sell megabucks “homes” to globetrotting gazillionaires.
On Wednesday, Manhattan Community Board 5 is sponsoring a “town hall meeting” at the New York Public Library Celeste Bartos Forum to discuss the scourge. The event flyer mentions, among other concerns, public space lost to “real estate encroachment,” shadows, traffic and “dangers to landmark buildings.”

Those who’d normally file lawsuits aimed at blocking the rise of 1,000-foot-plus towers a few blocks south of Central Park are particularly apoplectic because there was nothing they could do to stop them.

None required zoning changes, tax credits, special permits, landmark-demolition exemptions or size bonuses granted in exchange for public amenities.
Developers simply spent years and fortunes assembling sites and air rights to build as large and as tall as legally permissible without public approvals. That leaves the haters essentially baying at the moon.

The city’s most widely read architectural critics have unsurprisingly ganged up on the projects. The New York Times’ Michael Kimmelman calls for new zoning to prohibit future atrocities and condemns the ones underway as a “clutch of preening runway models, super-tall and skinny, the expensive playthings of Russian oligarchs and Chinese tycoons.”

New York magazine’s Justin Davidson wittily described the “billionaires’ beanstalks” as “lining up for Central park views like an NBA team craning to peer at a new iPhone.”
Just how objectionable, though, are the new skyscrapers to an unschooled, but reasonably alert, lover of the cityscape like myself?
Had today’s NIMBY culture been around in 1930, the Empire State Building — immensely taller and “out of context” with everything around it — would not have gotten out of the ground.

The new supertower field might or might not include another masterpiece. But as a lifelong New Yorker who hates the MetLife (former Pan Am) Building, laments the monotony of reflective glass curtain walls, and seethes to this day over the demolition of the original Penn Station, I find little to fear, and much to like, about the new giants.
Studies suggesting they’ll plunge Central Park into permanent Stygian gloom are based on December-at-4 p.m., worst-case moments and ignore that offending shadows will be even thinner than the towers’ pencil-thin profiles.

The only landmarks “danger” issue, meanwhile, seems to be that planned 115 W. 57th St. will slightly cantilever over the adjacent Art Students League, at a point several hundred feet above its roof.
It’s entirely possible that one or more of the new giants, all designed by distinguished architects, will deserve future landmark status — a truth to which most preservationists seem oblivious.
Far from forming a thicket in the sky, the detested 57th Street Four will stand fewer than one per block between Park Avenue and Broadway. They will lend a more distinct identity to the great street, which west of Fifth Avenue has devolved into a hodgepodge with too many vacant stores.
Unlike pedestrian-hostile setback towers such as 9 W. 57th St., the new crop humanely line up with their neighbors at sidewalk level, preserving the all-important “street wall.”

Unlike in London, where foreign zillionaires turn out the lights on whole blocks when they buy houses for annual drop-ins, our high-rise enclaves present a friendly, public-welcoming face. One57 will be anchored by a Park Hyatt Hotel with restaurants and lounges open to all. The city’s first Nordstrom department store will fill the first nine floors of 1,550-foot-tall 115 W. 57th St., and more stores are planned for 432 Park Ave. and 107 W. 57th St.
Only two of the giants are visible as of yet: Extell’s One57 (West 57th Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues) and CIM/Harry Macklowe’s 432 Park Avenue (on East 57th Street between Park and Madison avenues).

Poor One57, the pygmy of the lot at a mere 1,005 feet tall, is the haters’ favorite punching bag, due to the fact that it was first out of the ground and is nearest to completion.
Davidson calls the tower designed by Christian de Portzamparc “preening but graceless . . . a stolid arrangement of beveled blocks upholstered in silk and satin stripes.”
Yet to this ignoramus, it’s quite arresting now that most of the scaffolding is down. It flatters the Midtown firmament from the Central Park Reservoir where I jog. And from a high floor of a nearby hotel, viewed from the southwest, its confident verticality, softened by a gently sloped crown, seems almost demure.

I can’t wait to see more of Rafael Viñoly-designed 432 Park Ave., which is not yet halfway up. Its symphony of squares — the tower’s form itself, echoed in a pattern of 10-by-10-foot windows rising without interruption nearly 100 stories on its concrete face — promises an unthreatening, classical monumentality.
New projects may indeed block views and “overwhelm” a lower-rise street or neighborhood. But everyone choosing to live in Manhattan, not only in the privileged zone near Central Park, knows it’s a risk going in.

A huge Memorial Sloan Kettering cancer facility will soon blot out the remaining East River view from my First Avenue home. A few years ago, a new apartment tower across the street wiped out a larger slice of river. But I accept them as trade-offs: They bring to my neighborhood more talent, energy and prosperity.
The “billionaires’ beanstalks” won’t make the rest of us wealthy. But however counter-intuitively, they make the city a richer place for everyone.

Last edited by Ghostface79; February 15th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #984
McSky

Likes (Received): 1879

New Yorkers are adaptive. They will evolve to deal with the decreased amount of light reaching the ground.

Hudson11, seb.nl, Eric Offereins liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #985
DannyR2713
another Registered User

Likes (Received): 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoltage View Post

Can anyone send me links where I can download these models into Google Earth? I only have a few of these buildings..
My page name is DannyR at the 3d warehouse.

dannyr27, JamesMonroe liked this post
DannyR2713 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 05:09 AM   #986
DannyR2713
another Registered User

Likes (Received): 698

I can't post links

dannyr27, JamesMonroe liked this post
DannyR2713 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #987
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
New Yorkers are adaptive. They will evolve to deal with the decreased amount of light reaching the ground.

It's 6am. I haven't had any sleep. This image will ensure that remains the case.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #988
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22562

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post

that's just Tony, Manhattan's local mole man. He mainly keeps to himself but be respectful and remember proper manners if you come across him. Otherwise your home might suffer from an unfortunate sinkhole incident.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Hudson11; February 16th, 2014 at 08:24 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #989
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28203

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR2713 View Post
I can't post links
You will be able to do that soon. Newcomers cannot post link in order to prevent spammers from posting.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #990
TheEnlightened

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
It's 6am. I haven't had any sleep. This image will ensure that remains the case.
You really got scared by a crappy costume from the 50's?
TheEnlightened no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #991
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

That's not a costume from the 50s!! That's one of the sand people from tattooine giving birth.
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #992
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnlightened View Post
You really got scared by a crappy costume from the 50's?
It's the old style of these pics. New pics aren't nearly as scary.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #993
Ghostface79

http://http://ny.curbed.com/archives...reet_tower.php

Quote:
Construction Permits In Place For SHoP's 57th Street Tower
Monday, February 17, 2014, by Jessica Dailey

While work on one 57th Street tower draws to a close, work on another is set to begin. A tipster alerted us to the fact that work would soon be starting on SHoP's 77-story, 1,350-foot-tall tower at 107 West 57th Street, and freshly filed permits with the Department of Buildings confirm that to be true. The project won approval from the Landmarks Preservation Commission last year, and a slew of new building permits have been approved since the start of 2014, the most recent of which was approved last week. Documents shared with Curbed from our tipster show that the architects and development team filed a "Construction Code Determination" form, which was approved in late January, to be able to start foundation work as soon as possible "due to the unusually complex construction logistics and durations." The document also notes that "all funds are in place to commence construction."

The updated permits also have an updated (but not yet approved) Schedule A filing, which breaks down the layout inside the building. There will be 61 units, with residences starting on the 10th floor. The facade of the landmarked 17-story Steinway Building, which currently sits on the site, will be preserved, but the interior will be demolished and rebuilt as part of the new building. Behind this facade, there will be about 15 units, and the "tower" residences will start on the 17th floor. The tower is incredibly slender, so all of these units will have a floor to themselves. Currently, the plans show there will be five duplexes and a four-story penthouse that will be asking, according to our tipster, nine-figures. Obviously.

xXFallenXx, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #994
Xoltage
Xoltage

Likes (Received): 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
It would be unreal if this actually gets built.
Xoltage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #995
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28203

it will be reality soon.

Should be exciting to follow the construction of this beauty.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #996
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 821

The only things impressive about this is the height and skinniness, the design is nothing special. It's amazing that people can build such things. I look forward to seeing it rise
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #997
Ghostface79

Quote:
Originally Posted by The seventh shape View Post
The only things impressive about this is the height and skinniness, the design is nothing special. It's amazing that people can build such things. I look forward to seeing it rise
I somewhat agree with you there. I think this tower will be a new NYC masterpiece because of how tall and how skinny it is but also because of the amazing use of material on it. The shape, although it looks great because of it thinness, is nothing new or special, that's why I can't put it past Tower Verre or 2WTC which look like nothing else anywhere in the world; it will still be one of the greatest new towers in NYC tho.

On another note, this is definitely the year of the supertall in NYC, this will make it the 4th supertall to start construction this year with HY North Tower, 3WTC and Tower Verre, not the mention 432 Park, 1WTC and One57 which are still rising. Next up Nordsrtom, tho this one seems ready to go too since all the permits were recently approved, just waiting for some confirmation about financing.
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #998
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1634

I think it's going to be the best of all the new NYC supertalls. I'd be scared as hell to go up in it, but it will look great.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #999
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
I somewhat agree with you there. I think this tower will be a new NYC masterpiece because of how tall and how skinny it is but also because of the amazing use of material on it. The shape, although it looks great because of it thinness, is nothing new or special, that's why I can't put it past Tower Verre or 2WTC which look like nothing else anywhere in the world; it will still be one of the greatest new towers in NYC tho.

On another note, this is definitely the year of the supertall in NYC, this will make it the 4th supertall to start construction this year with HY North Tower, 3WTC and Tower Verre, not the mention 432 Park, 1WTC and One57 which are still rising. Next up Nordsrtom, tho this one seems ready to go too since all the permits were recently approved, just waiting for some confirmation about financing.
I agree, this will be an NYC Icon. Possibly joining the Next up list could potentially be the Girasole too. 2014 is shaping up to be iconic for supertalls.

My top 5
1) 2 WTC
2) Tower Verre
3) Steinway
4) 220 CPS (Yes..i think over 30 Park Place)
5) 35 Hudson Yards

Ironically If I win the lotto. I would live in 432 Park Avenue, but would love to work in 2 WTC.

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #1000
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I agree, this will be an NYC Icon. Possibly joining the Next up list could potentially be the Girasole too. 2014 is shaping up to be iconic for supertalls.

My top 5
1) 2 WTC
2) Tower Verre
3) Steinway
4) 220 CPS (Yes..i think over 30 Park Place)
5) 35 Hudson Yards

Ironically If I win the lotto. I would live in 432 Park Avenue, but would love to work in 2 WTC.

I actually have to disagree with Tower Verre on that list. It's too short to make a wide impact. It may cause a "Oh wow, look at that building" when someone walks by it, but from the south it's blocked by ESB and the sheer density of the area and from the North the supertalls on 57th, so there will be no wide impact.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
105 west 57th street, 107 west 57th street, 111 west 57th street, stairway to heaven, steinway tower