daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #1381
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28172

Why use 2 diggers. There is barely room enough for just one.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #1382
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

If they want to finish this until 2017 they've to hurry up.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #1383
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Don't worry, the tower is so thin that when it gets started they'll be finishing a floor per day.

oscillation, Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #1384
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

I feel like progress will actually be made when the begin the partial demo of the buildings around the courtyard...
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #1385
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
Don't worry, the tower is so thin that when it gets started they'll be finishing a floor per day.
lol

I'm sure it will skyrocket soon enough.

Tower Dude, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #1386
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

You couldn't even play stickball in that alley, yet they're going to put up a 1350-foot building.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #1387
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

^hehe.

the 1350' tower won't rise in that alley!!! It's going to rise behind that concrete wall and part of the existing Steinway building.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

MarshallKnight, Pohtija liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #1388
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptomistOne View Post
assuming to save costs the developer is only using that one guy and his digger to construct it, I am guessing it will only take about, say, 500 years to finish it...assuming he works weekends and public holidays.
Poor fella, he won't have enough time for the forum if he is to do the whole building by himself. But on the toher hand, what greater achievement is there for a skyscrapercitizen than singlehandedly building a supertall

57th&1st liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #1389
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
^hehe.

the 1350' tower won't rise in that alley!!! It's going to rise behind that concrete wall and part of the existing Steinway building.
Something like 40% of the tower will be in the alley.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #1390
crriss

Likes (Received): 25

Just curious, how much a sq foot of land cost in this area if they struggle to squeeze a supertall in this tiny rathole ?
crriss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #1391
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

so theres still demolition work that needs to be done?
nycaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #1392
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2613

See post #1362, there's a bit of stuff where the tower's gonna go.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 01:48 AM   #1393
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #1394
mörderkätzchen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 236

Such a tall building in such a small lot. This is insanity. I like it.
mörderkätzchen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #1395
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
I feel bad for the people in those units with the balconies at 0:55. Not that they had views to begin with but its about to get even worse. They should also invest in some good ear plugs...
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #1396
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

.. and invest in good cameras for updates on SSC.
Old July 27th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #1397
mörderkätzchen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 236

Any ideas how much the rent in those apartments is? There has to be a discount when the new building is rising (noise, shadow, dust...).
mörderkätzchen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #1398
crriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mörderkätzchen View Post
Any ideas how much the rent in those apartments is? There has to be a discount when the new building is rising (noise, shadow, dust...).
Don't know about NY but I tell you what happent in Sz couple of years ago: we rented a flat for more than a year, the rent was reasonable, suddenly the landlord called us saying that will metro construction will start near our building, will facilitate transportation (long after we moved out from there) and for this reason he has to increase the rent by ~15% right away and from the next year with another 15% making it 30% more expensive. Obviously we moved out as soon as the contract expired few months later, but they have the guts to ask us to pay more for something which we never benefit and we had to endure the noise, dust and walk about half Km more through dirt to reach the department store because the whole main road was closed during construction, for about 3-4 years.
These guy (as well as the rest of the landlords from the area and from the whole city) obviously rushed to rise the rent for us who lived on the yearly basis contract because of some convenience which will be available few years later, by the time we left long time already. All what I told him was: fine, I pay the increased rent price as soon as we can benefit of the metro, in the meantime make sure we will get a 50% discount for inconvenience created. All what I got was a silly and sarcastic smile, he had no sense of humour, only sense of money. Needless to say that the rent prices kept climbing since then (~6 years ago) and now are about 2.5 times higher...

mörderkätzchen liked this post
Old July 28th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #1399
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by crriss View Post
Don't know about NY but I tell you what happent in Sz couple of years ago: we rented a flat for more than a year, the rent was reasonable, suddenly the landlord called us saying that will metro construction will start near our building, will facilitate transportation (long after we moved out from there) and for this reason he has to increase the rent by ~15% right away and from the next year with another 15% making it 30% more expensive. Obviously we moved out as soon as the contract expired few months later, but they have the guts to ask us to pay more for something which we never benefit and we had to endure the noise, dust and walk about half Km more through dirt to reach the department store because the whole main road was closed during construction, for about 3-4 years.
These guy (as well as the rest of the landlords from the area and from the whole city) obviously rushed to rise the rent for us who lived on the yearly basis contract because of some convenience which will be available few years later, by the time we left long time already. All what I told him was: fine, I pay the increased rent price as soon as we can benefit of the metro, in the meantime make sure we will get a 50% discount for inconvenience created. All what I got was a silly and sarcastic smile, he had no sense of humour, only sense of money. Needless to say that the rent prices kept climbing since then (~6 years ago) and now are about 2.5 times higher...
That's bizarre behavior by the landlord. Are there regulations on how much the landlord can increase rents year-over-year?

In NYC, landlords definitely discount rents during heavy construction (renting along Second Avenue while the SAS has been under construction has been a great bargain if you could tolerate the construction noise), but no doubt those landlords will raise rents as much as 50% as soon as construction finishes and is replaced by easy transit access. I suppose if landlords were restricted from increasing rents by more than a certain amount year-over-year, that would encourage landlords to price in future developments in annual rent increases so that they could reach market rent earlier once the future developments are complete, even if that means irrationally high rents in the interim.
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #1400
crriss

There are some regulations but who cares about them as long as most of the renting contracts are not registered with authorities to evade taxes ? They prefer to keep the flat empty till someone will pay as much as they ask instead of lowering the rent price. I heard about one case where one single landlord have more than 20 flats on the same building and all are for rent, he keep two of them, the most expensive ones with hi-end decoration and asking exorbitant rent. These were never rented out, but are always shown to future tenants to see the top "benchmark" and makes you fee that the price which he ask for the flat you want to rent is a real bargain.
Real estate agents are part of the rent scam too. They settle a price before visiting the flat for rent, once they arrive there with possible tenants, they watch their reaction, telling them only positive things about, and that there are few others possible tenants which visited the place this morning, so they have to hurry up if they want it, and if they are decided to rent it, the agent "suddenly" get a phone call saying that someone else reserved the flat already, or the landlord ask for more money, or whatever BS to rise the price furthermore. All this for couple of hundreds $ which they get, they get more with about 20-30$ once because they usually get half of the first moth rent but the tenants will have to carry the burden of 20-30$ extra for the whole duration of the contract.

Tags
105 west 57th street, 107 west 57th street, 111 west 57th street, stairway to heaven, steinway tower