daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Transportation and Infrastructure

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #1
sparklingway

Likes (Received): 61

RAWALPINDI-ISLAMABAD | Metro Bus System | Infrastructure | U/C

Rs30bn for metro bus

ISLAMABAD, Jun 19: The Rawalpindi-Islamabad Metro Bus project would be launched in November and Rs30 billion have already been allocated for it, a senior official of the Capital Development Authority (CDA) said on Wednesday.

CDA Traffic Engineering Director Azam Lodhi said the Asian Development Bank had already completed the pre-feasibility study of the project. “The final feasibility report will be completed by next month and tenders will soon be floated in the international media,” he said.

A senior CDA official, requesting anonymity, said the CDA could not manage a practical transport service using its own resources and had decided to link the project with Rawalpindi to acquire the Punjab government’s assistance.

The CDA would also request the Punjab government to ply a fleet of 50 buses, he added.

The official said a report had been submitted before the CDA's board for approval and the Planning Wing of CDA had already marked the possible locations of bus stations.

The source said the civic authority had repeatedly announced the launch of a mass transit system, but financial constraints made it difficult for the project to materialise.

“Now this dream will come true as the federal government has allocated a hefty amount for the project,” he said.—APP

http://dawn.com/news/1019512/rs30bn-for-metro-bus

santix, united pakistan liked this post
sparklingway no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #2
sparklingway

Likes (Received): 61

A route from Golra that goes along Peshawar Road and goes all the way to Blue Area via the Airport Link Road-Islamabad Expressway and comes back full circle (Kashmir Highway through Jinnah Ave) would be a very high volume and very good project.

Of course the project isn't going to be up and running by November. But a good start indeed. Maybe feasibility study will suggest it'll be better to go for a monorail?

Last edited by sparklingway; June 20th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
sparklingway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #3
hero g
The Master

Likes (Received): 2599

SS sharef can we please have monorail, i know u love metro bus and eventually we have to move on. please invest a bit more so we can get monorail. it would be better to perserve islamabad beauty. Thanks

vazim liked this post
hero g no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Arsalan Rashid
Supertall (:

Likes (Received): 598

Good to see a change in transportation...
Arsalan Rashid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 4640

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero g View Post
SS sharef can we please have monorail, i know u love metro bus and eventually we have to move on. please invest a bit more so we can get monorail. it would be better to perserve islamabad beauty. Thanks
You're totally right but metrobus is the cheapest solution

We want subway in the route of metrobus in İstanbul; even there is detailed projects, but as long as there is no enough money, they won't built subway...

Cities should manage their sources in a better way.

K. Atatürk
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Khanvict
Man of the Match

Likes (Received): 533

Official study and plan is yet to come, but here is what I propose for ISL/RWP MBS. I believe these routes will be most effective in eliviating traffic jams + connect most corners of city. This is to start off, can be expanded later as needed, such as connecting to new airport, etc.

Overall Route:
[IMG]http://i40.************/m8k2gm.jpg[/IMG]

Saddar:
[IMG]http://i43.************/jakw7p.jpg[/IMG]

Islamabad side:
[IMG]http://i40.************/2uxxuhk.jpg[/IMG]

Close to Motorway:
[IMG]http://i40.************/20pvlvr.jpg[/IMG]

Comments and critics are welcome... lets bounce more ideas..
Khanvict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:47 PM   #7
insomniac00

Likes (Received): 206

I hope this plan does not involve chopping down a thousands of trees

united pakistan, brightside. liked this post
insomniac00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Khanvict
Man of the Match

Likes (Received): 533

try 2:

Overall Route:

Saddar:

ISL side:

Close to Motorway:
Old June 22nd, 2013, 01:11 AM   #9
shahmeer

Likes (Received): 5526

What ever the route is, I only hope it will NOT be the same style as Lahore metro bus!
I it should be similar the European cities which have a dedicated bus lane on the side, which in most cases is marked with a colour on the road!

I dont want them to make a bus lane in the middle of the road which will harm the green city effect of Islamabad.

Pakistan Tehreek-e-insaf

Dekho Dekho Kaun Aaya! Sher ka Shikari Aya!
shahmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:53 AM   #10
razashah

Likes (Received): 22

I hope Islamabad isnt ruined with ugly flyovers for this project... also yes... the Istanbul metro bus is the way to go...!
razashah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:44 PM   #11
humza smart

Likes (Received): 372

dear CDA plz come with monorail or metro rail not with metro bus islamabad is a capital city of pak plz come with g8 idea n concept like islamabad airport like that plz take lesson from dehli coz metro bus ruins beauty of islamabad

hero g, Rail_Serbia liked this post
humza smart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:21 PM   #12
santix

Likes (Received): 1523

i think, monorail may be far too expensive for islamabad. Monorail or subways are good options for congested populace i.e. less distance but more population. the only track where monorail or subway can be thought is murree road from saddar to Faizabad.
Islamabad is far too stretched with less dense population, so monorail would not be cost effective.

P.S: plz dont take it as i am against monorail. I also love to see a monorail in our major cities, but most likely it is not coming in near future.

OmI92, Khanvict, Savori_Paki liked this post
santix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 09:04 PM   #13
brightside.
Honorary Scouser

Likes (Received): 6940

Islamabad and Pindi will NOT be the first places in Pakistan to get a monorail. It will be most probably Lahore, followed by Karachi.

twitter

OmI92 liked this post
brightside. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:03 AM   #14
Nadeem Lahori

Likes (Received): 836

Although it seems that Lahore will be the first one to get mono or metro rail, but i would be more happy if it build first in Karachi becoz they need it and they deserve...

Current situation in Karachi is terrible, karachi should get metro train not bus, Lahore can survive on bus for next 3 - 4 years or so, but karachi's population is growing too fast and we badly need mega projects in Karachi, and correct me if i am wrong, metro bus will not do any good to Karachi... as i heard 50 buses will come to karachi upon completion of metro bus, 50 buses for 22 million people????

Rail_Serbia liked this post
Nadeem Lahori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:38 AM   #15
paklove

Likes (Received): 2712

Karachi & Lahore both need metro trains immediately because it is already too late. The population of both these cities is increasing day by day & transportation problems will increase more in the future. Islamabad can do with monorail because its roads & infrastructure is more suited to that.

Rail_Serbia liked this post
paklove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #16
vazim

Likes (Received): 252

They should build monorail, seeing the traffic mess in Rawalpindi. Metro Bus on ground will bring huge problems.
vazim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #17
dashyfreak

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by razashah View Post
I hope Islamabad isnt ruined with ugly flyovers for this project... also yes... the Istanbul metro bus is the way to go...!
Would you prefer fast flowing traffic and a great PT system, or would you prefer views visible from roads while they're jam packed and no PT system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humza smart View Post
dear CDA plz come with monorail or metro rail not with metro bus islamabad is a capital city of pak plz come with g8 idea n concept like islamabad airport like that plz take lesson from dehli coz metro bus ruins beauty of islamabad
Nothing much has been released according to this thread, yet you're complaining about how this would "ruin beauty?" And monorail? Gee, wouldn't elevated tracks look beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by santix View Post
i think, monorail may be far too expensive for islamabad. Monorail or subways are good options for congested populace i.e. less distance but more population. the only track where monorail or subway can be thought is murree road from saddar to Faizabad.
Islamabad is far too stretched with less dense population, so monorail would not be cost effective.
P.S: plz dont take it as i am against monorail. I also love to see a monorail in our major cities, but most likely it is not coming in near future.
Monorail is extremely expensive throughout the world. Monorail for highly dense areas? Not the best idea in the world.
No.
But yes, it would not be economically feasible. And fair enough, but I would rather not see a monorail in Pakistan anywhere except for maybe a theme park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paklove View Post
Karachi & Lahore both need metro trains immediately because it is already too late. The population of both these cities is increasing day by day & transportation problems will increase more in the future. Islamabad can do with monorail because its roads & infrastructure is more suited to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vazim View Post
They should build monorail, seeing the traffic mess in Rawalpindi. Metro Bus on ground will bring huge problems.
What is with everyone's festish for a monorail? They are extremely expensive, pretty bad for transporting high amounts of people at long distances, and cost a lot to maintain. I hope all of you mean monorail colloquially, not literally.

Khanvict, Strong Hearted liked this post
dashyfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #18

Likes (Received): 1808

Islamabad to have new bus service in a year

ISLAMABAD, June 25: Good news for the residents of Islamabad: within a year, the capital city will have its own Rapid Bus Transport System (RBTS) like the metro-bus service of Lahore.

“Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is serious in getting the project completed without delay and the Capital Development Authority (CDA) has finalised the feasibility report of the Rs7.2 billion public transport project,” said a source in the civic agency.

According to the source, Nasir Khosa, the secretary to the prime minister, was being updated by the senior CDA management about the project.

It may be noted that for the last many years successive governments kept on promising to launch a decent public transport service in the capital city but did nothing practical.

“During the last one decade, the CDA spent over Rs30 billion on a number of projects like flyovers, road and entertainment projects but failed to provide the basic facility of a transport service to the 1.8 million residents of the city,” said the official.

A senior official of the CDA financial wing added that the government would provide around Rs7.2 billion for the RBTS.

“The project will be completed in one year. The office of the prime minister will be keeping an eye on the development of the project.

Besides, the chairman CDA and his board members will keep the prime minister office updated on the pace of work on the project,” said the official.

He added that the Asian Development Bank (ADB) was also willing to facilitate the CDA in holding an international bidding for the project.

A planning wing official informed Dawn that almost 48 diesel buses would initially be purchased by the CDA through an open bidding.

“The buses will be operated on five routes and will be available to the passengers at the 33 stops after every five minutes.

The routes will be from F-10 Markaz to Pak Secretariat, Kashmir Highway to G-14 and Pak Secretariat (in a later stage towards the new international airport), Karachi Company to Pak Secretariat and F-10 to the I.J. Principal Road.

Asked why the cost of the RBTS was lesser than the metro bus service of Lahore, the official said Lahore was a congested city so the engineers of the Punjab government had to work out an elevated expressway for smooth operation of the metro buses.

“In Islamabad, we have well-planned and wide roads and do not need any separate expressway. The only cost on the project will be on the purchase of buses, development of terminals and bus depots having workshops and parking spaces.”

CDA chairman Nadeem Hasan Asif in a brief interaction with this reporter said they were working on the project.

“This time, the CDA board members are serious in completing the project within the given timeframe.”

Despite repeated attempts, no official was available at the Prime Minister Secretariat to comment on the project.

http://dawn.com/news/1020751/islamab...vice-in-a-year

Last edited by 500; June 26th, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #19
OmI92
Skyscrapercity Addict

Likes (Received): 32157

G0od news!
OmI92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #20
Savori_Paki

Likes (Received): 1339

Ab Rawalpindi aur Isloo bhi Mass Transit ki daur me shareek. Becharay Karachi ko koi poochay ga bhi kia? :/

OmI92, ahmad sh., muhammad zubair liked this post
Savori_Paki no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, islamabad, metro, metrobus, rawalpindi

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: