search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #1
pakboy
London is London

Likes (Received): 2022

PAKISTAN | Sea Ports & Dryports

Uzbekistan Eyes Access to Pakistani Ports
ISLAMABAD, Jan 5 Asia Pulse - Uzbekistan will consider entering into a tri-partite agreement with Pakistan via Afghanistan in order to gain access to Pakistani ports at Karachi and Gwadar.

The proposal was forwarded during the Second Session of Pakistan- Uzbekistan Joint Economic Commission (JEC) held at Tashkent.

According to a message received from Tashkent on January 3, Minister for Water and Power, Liaqat Ali Jatoi led a 9- member delegation at Pakistan-Uzbekistan JEC held at Tashkent from 28-30 December 2005.

The two sides agreed to develop the nearly absent communication links between the two countries including access for Uzbekistan via Afghanistan to Karachi and Gwadar.

The two sides also agreed to make optimum utilization of the textile technology and machinery available with Pakistan and the fine quality cotton grown in Uzbekistan.

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060105/4/2dfpk.html

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #2
pakboy
London is London

another step towards victory for gwadar
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Manbil
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

India is also building a road thru kandahar? to the chahbahar port so Pakistan better be quick and sort things out before it loses...
Manbil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #4
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Likes (Received): 415

We have already planned a motorway that will connect to Asia Highway 1.

Chahbahar can not compete with Gwader because of their nuclear issue that has attracted a lot of attension. The thing that strikes me as the most odd part of this situation is that an attack on Iran would be in Pakistan's best intrests.

ELECTIONS 2008: WE ARE THE ELEMENTS OF CHANGE!
Har waqt hoon mein Pakistan ke liye..
UnitedPakistan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #5
Manbil
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Well if america does a regime change then lo and behold, US might start promoting chah bahar over a chinese funded port!

Have you ever seen this side of the story?
Manbil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #6
pakboy
London is London

comparing chah bar with gwadar is quite a joke in the first place,

gwadar is got all the support, all from the CIS, china and afganistan.

it would be importing/exporting goods for a big chunck of china which would automatically give it a huge boost, another thing is that it come before chahbar, who is will to travel all the way into the hole of stratz hormuz to get goods to cis when you can just go to gwadar.

plus another thing is iran will struggle to complete development of the city and connect it with the rest of the citys and cis because of lack of funds.
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #7
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

The US companies also have shown intrest in Gwader. Chah Bahar is a unfriendly place for investors right now and will continue to be until that country can fix it's constitution and HDI as well as it's government.

Old January 5th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #8
Red aRRow
Kickin arse since 19xx

Likes (Received): 339

As I always say: Good competition never hurt anybody.
The key player here will be Afghanistan as all roads/rails will have to pass through it...so it is imperative that it is stable and peaceful.

Japan is quietly funding tons of projects in this regard actually. They have taken a very keen interest with the Indus Highway ...lets hope next 10 years will bring in more investments and development.
Red aRRow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #9
ahmed_s

Likes (Received): 19

dubai port worlds wants to take care of gwadar as i posted earlier. gwadar is recieving international attention and international backing mainly from china. for chah bahar to be a sucess, there has to be stability in afghanistan...which i cant see for the time being. but pakistan is relying on china which will industrialise its western provinces, and all the exports will have to through gwadar through existing channels, such as the KKH. also, one point where pakistan also needs afghanistan for gwadar to work will be the need for pipelines from central asian states via afghanistan, and even if there isnt stability, it really doesnt matter because the pipelines will be well under the ground and protected via check points. afghanistan will make gwadar its priority because most of its trade is done with pakistan, and also the "small" fact that there are over 3 million afghans residing in pakistan. so looking at it any way...its a WIN WIN situation for gwadar.
ahmed_s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #10
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Gwadar can also be used to export gas from Sui fields.

Old January 6th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #11
asfar
-----

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbil
Well if america does a regime change then lo and behold, US might start promoting chah bahar over a chinese funded port!

Have you ever seen this side of the story?

please push some senses into yourself manbil....a regime change in america does not mean that they will change their stance on chahbar or iran....they may soften a bit which i also doubt will ever happen.....thats mainly because of israel....which is threatened by irans nuclear program....trust me i dont see any future for chahbar
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #12
Gumnaam
Adm!n!strator

Likes (Received): 50

Well, I think you got it wrong, Manbil is talking about a regime change in Iran by the US and IMO this is not going to happen anytime soon, US is still too busy in Iraq and Afghanistan and will remain for the time being.

As for Gwadar, I believe competition is always good + Gwadar has a strategic edge over Chah bahar, all we need to do is to make it secure and peaceful for doing business as we know that Gwadar is a eyesore for a few countries (mainly our neighbour to the east) and they don't want it to be a major trading hub in this region as it's something not in their interest so they are trying hard to make it unstable. Pakistan needs to counter it effectively and doing it well.
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #13
ahmed_s

Likes (Received): 19

whats with the name change?
ahmed_s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #14
Kashmiri84
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

guys i dont think we can play down chah bahar or write it off. keep in mind, iran is way richer than pakistan, and the CIS states see pakistan as an exporter of wahabbism, while iran (though islamic) at least can give the CIS states hard currency. Plus the current powerplayers in Afghanistan arent so enthusiastic about Pakistan, and may very well choose to side with chah bahar. Not to be a downer, but you do have to look at both sides of the story. that being said, i think gwadar's main activity will come from China, not the CIS... but to me, industrialization of Xinjiang is just another Han Chinese way to repress the political rights of the Uighurs - the Hans will do the same thing to Xinjiang as they did to Tibet, that is, make it prosper, but only allow the prosperity to benefit the newly arrived Han Chinese settlers. Muslims in Xinjiang (who are VERY devout... I've read in several places that Xinjiang has more mosques per capita than any other region in the world) won't benefit from the industrialization of Xinjiang, and will actually suffer from the industrialization of Xinjiang, which will be facilitated by Gwadar. So is it a good thing? I dont want to see Uighurs suffer so that Gwadar may prosper.
Kashmiri84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #15
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Actually, the CIS states are working with us on the war against terrorism. A exporter of Wahabism? I highly doubt they believe that because they would be very very wrong. The current retards in Afghanistan are a threat but soon the civilians will notice the fact the without Pakistan they can not survive. We are already investing into Afghanistan quite a lot working on the rebuilding effort. But you have to remember that Gwadar is already starting to prosper. The people in the area are making 15 times as much as they used to make because of the counstruction of the deep sea port. If that is not progress I do not know what is... Lets hypothetically say that Gwadar will fail to get support from CIS states. We still have a large abundance of resources in Balochistan that can keep the port alive as well as oil refineries that will ship oil to the chinese. And anyways the CIS states are showing eagerness in investing in Pakistan. Countries like Uzbekistan have already shown strong intrest in Gwadar. Chahbahar barely even makes headlines! I searched on BBC and this is the only article I could find on the port!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2699255.stm

BBC even gave Gwadar a special page when it started...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/432395.stm

So I ask you now who has the advantage? How is the political situation in Iran? Not very good and this will help Pakistan! And if Gwadar and the people of Pakistan can progress at the loss for muslims in Xinjiang I say go ahead! Because we can not sit around and worry about other people when our own nation is in trouble. Pakistan FIRST!

Old January 25th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #16
Starsat86

Likes (Received): 6

UP, cant you make your point without making offensive remarks? do you even know what a retard is? maybe you should think before you post, and I wonder why you have not been punished or warned (Moderator?) You talk about ridding Pakistan of ignorance but it seems you have not rid yourself of ignorance!!!!!
Starsat86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #17
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Maybe you should take a look at the Afghani thread before you talk of my ignorance.

Old January 25th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #18
asfar001
PAKISTAN FIRST

Likes (Received): 35

great post UP ....great post
asfar001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #19
cntower
Indus Priest King

Likes (Received): 7840

Are there any direct roads from Pakistan to Uzbekistan without having to pass through Afganistan. I'd rather we get into an agreement with Tajikistan and build a highway connecting the KKH with Tajikistan. From there we can get into any CIS state!
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #20
merijanpakistan
We need Malcolm X

Likes (Received): 28

Salam,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntower
Are there any direct roads from Pakistan to Uzbekistan without having to pass through Afganistan. I'd rather we get into an agreement with Tajikistan and build a highway connecting the KKH with Tajikistan. From there we can get into any CIS state!
I dont think its gonna be possible. Pakistan does not touch Tajikistan. There is a small belt of Afghan land in between, even at their closest point. The other option is to enter China and then Tajikistan and from there, Uzbekistan. No direct route is possible.

There is a government plan to build a road from Chitral to Tajikistan, passing through this narrow Afghan belt. But there are several problems with this approach:
1. It is extremely high at altitude for transport of goods.
2. It is extremely remore and difficult terrain to even have an analysis.
3. It does involve Afghanistan ANYWAY.
4. It would be way longer for CARs to use this route. They would rather go to Iran.

We need a stable Afghanistan to access CARs. I hope it happens soon.

Peace.

Zero Political Repression
Zero Social Discrimination
Zero Economic Exploitation
Zero Environmental Extortion
merijanpakistan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: