daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 18th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Mxn99

Likes (Received): 952

ISLAMABAD-RAWALPINDI | Expansion of Islamabad Expressway | Infrastructure | APP

Islamabad Expressway expansion: Government gives green signal to project

ISLAMABAD: The federal government has finally given a green signal to go-ahead with the proposed Rs17.5 billion Islamabad Expressway expansion project.

The project involves construction of a 24-kilometre-long signal-free corridor from Zero Point to Rawat.

A senior official privy to the development said that the government has also consented to bear upto 50 per cent cost of the project and allocation will be made in upcoming budget.

It has been decided to pre-qualify consultant firms for design, construction and supervision of the project.

“The Rs17.5 billion cost is tentative and based on estimations. It can be reduced or enhanced upon completion of the engineering design,” said an official of the Capital Development Authority adding that the sources of funding and mood of execution are yet to be determined.

The official rejected the notion that highrise buildings on both sides of the highway would be erected. “It’s not true. At right of way of this highway four-lane service roads [on both sides] will be constructed as part of the project,” he said.

But, a senior officer of the Cabinet Division, privy to a meeting at the Prime Minister’s office the other day, where this project was discussed, confirmed that the road would be developed on the patron of Dubai’s Sheikh Zayed Road, which is a signal-free corridor with highrise buildings on both sides.

He said that the government wanted to strengthen road network of Islamabad as part of developing a new trade corridor which also involved a new road link to China. “For that reason, the government has focused construction of the Kashmir Highway, Margalla Highway and the signal-free Islamabad Highway,” the official said.

The project involves construction of two overhead passages one each in front of Karal Chowk and the Defence Housing Authority with some seven underpasses mostly in front of housing societies located along the highway.

After the expansion, the highway would have 10 lanes — five lanes on each side of the highway — with three flexible and two rigid pavements. The portion of the Islamabad Expressway between Zero Point and Koral Chowk is already consisted of 10 lanes.

A CDA official said that if the project was carried out it would reduce the travel time between Zero Point and Rawat from 40-minute to approximately 14 minutes.

If executed, the project would help further expansion of the city towards south-eastern edge of Rawat and its adjoining areas. The project would also boost real estate business in Zone-V of Islamabad, as dozens of private housing societies including Bahria Town and DHA fall along the highway.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/712284/i...al-to-project/

santix, Ahmad Rashid Ahmad liked this post
Mxn99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 18th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Mxn99

Old June 18th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #3
ryzvonusef

Likes (Received): 1310

YES! My fav project, Isl Highway in HORRIBLE condition after Koral chowk.

Also, Pakistan Avenue? Name change?
ryzvonusef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #4
konichiwa

Likes (Received): 81

Much needed project that will cater to the needs of thousands of people that have to travel to Islamabad from the new housing societies popping up along the Islamabad Highway going towards Rawat. In particular DHA phase 2 and 2 extension would have placed a huge burden on this road with the passage of time.

However I think that Rawalpindi Ring Road is more pressing at the moment, and it should have been built first.
konichiwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #5
khalid-don

Likes (Received): 1540

Priority wise ring road is needed first due to consturction of new airport and other traffic from south heading towards KPK. By constructing ring road on west of Rawalpindi will divert traffic away from Rawalpindi city and Islamabad. Since cost of ring road is high, I don't mind if they expand Islamabad highway first and than start work on Ring road.

Also Zero point to airport road is already 10 lane, they need expansion from airport road to Rwat which is less than 15 KM. This section would require less than half of the amount allocated for this project.

OmI92, Khyber, HA, Ahmad Rashid Ahmad liked this post

Last edited by khalid-don; June 19th, 2014 at 04:04 AM.
khalid-don está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:19 AM   #6
KB

Likes (Received): 5069

Rs. 17.5 billion for a mere 24 km highway, part of which is already built?

I understand the package consists of underpasses but that's damn expensive estimate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Savori_Paki liked this post
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #7
JarymPesha

Likes (Received): 983

*yawn*
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #8
imarshad

Likes (Received): 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post

I understand the package consists of underpasses but that's damn expensive estimate.
If this includes the construction of Signal free Airport Chowk interchange (and one other interchange whose location I don't know) and 6-7 underpasses then it is somewhat justified...
imarshad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #9
ryzvonusef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post

Key word is "signal free" which implies a buttload of Interchanges and under/overpasses.

Besides, they will sell the plots in the CDA right of way for billions, and easily recover the amount.

Savori_Paki, ks1982 liked this post
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #10
shahmeer

Likes (Received): 7277

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzvonusef View Post
Key word is "signal free" which implies a buttload of Interchanges and under/overpasses.

Besides, they will sell the plots in the CDA right of way for billions, and easily recover the amount.
Corruption and destruction of Islamabad's beauty!

That so called right of way is a green buffer not building plots!!!!
Old June 19th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #11
ryzvonusef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahmeer View Post
Corruption and destruction of Islamabad's beauty!

That so called right of way is a green buffer not building plots!!!!
What beauty?

We are talking about the bit AFTER faizabad, after which CDA gives damn all.

It *is* a right of way, that's how it is defined, this isn't me creating these definitions.

Look at any societies starting on ISL highway, they start a few hundred meters AFTER the highway, this portion was used to expand the bit from Faizabad to Koral chowk.

This isn't a "green" buffer, you can see swamp, garbage, mounds of earth etc.

The only "green" bit is the Lohi Bher National park.

Please drive on that road, I've kept stating this before, but not all of Islamabad is like Zone-I.

In many places it was actually CARVED *through* earth, you can see it between lohi bher and Naval anchorage, you can see the steep earth mound just feets from the road, absolutely no buffer at all.

----

That said, I'll be disappointed if they sold plots in the "actual" green buffer that occurs after Faizabad towards Zero Point, that should be kept green.

santix liked this post
Old June 19th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #12
shahmeer

Likes (Received): 7277

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzvonusef View Post
What beauty?

We are talking about the bit AFTER faizabad, after which CDA gives damn all.

It *is* a right of way, that's how it is defined, this isn't me creating these definitions.

Look at any societies starting on ISL highway, they start a few hundred meters AFTER the highway, this portion was used to expand the bit from Faizabad to Koral chowk.

This isn't a "green" buffer, you can see swamp, garbage, mounds of earth etc.

The only "green" bit is the Lohi Bher National park.

Please drive on that road, I've kept stating this before, but not all of Islamabad is like Zone-I.

In many places it was actually CARVED *through* earth, you can see it between lohi bher and Naval anchorage, you can see the steep earth mound just feets from the road, absolutely no buffer at all.

----

That said, I'll be disappointed if they sold plots in the "actual" green buffer that occurs after Faizabad towards Zero Point, that should be kept green.
Dude you said your self!

The only difference between the green buffer (right of way) before and after Faizabad is that, that CDA has developed, planted trees and is maintain the section before faizabad and the one after faizabad is not being maintained or trees planted properly!

But according to the Master plan which I have studied and written papers on both a green buffers and should have a thick forest on them!

tabeb noor liked this post
shahmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #13
ryzvonusef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahmeer View Post
Dude you said your self!

The only difference between the green buffer (right of way) before and after Faizabad is that, that CDA has developed, planted trees and is maintain the section before faizabad and the one after faizabad is not being maintained or trees planted properly!

But according to the Master plan which I have studied and written papers on both a green buffers and should have a thick forest on them!
Can you kindly share with me the Master plan report on these?

Acc to what I've read, Zone IV and V were to be rural areas, hence the minimal maintenance. I doubt any regulations (including green buffers) are applicable outside Zone I urban area.

Maintaining the green zones requires money, in Zone-I residents pay appropriate property taxes to CDA which funds the maintenance of these. But in rural zones CDA charges NO tax (and provides no benefits in return)

Which is why I highly doubt any greenery schemes.

Then again, the master plan has been messed up so many times it's unrecognizable, HIGHLY unlikely Rawalpindi will be merged into Islamabad like the very first master plans wanted ;p

sial699 liked this post
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:56 AM   #14
Mxn99

Section between Koral chowk and Zero Point

farazilu, khalid-don, HA, Aneesali liked this post
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #15
Mxn99

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #16
tabeb noor
Desert Rose

Likes (Received): 6262

This project will also benefit dha an bahtia town also.

Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)

Dallas1 liked this post
tabeb noor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #17
ryzvonusef

http://tribune.com.pk/story/734371/f...on-hits-snags/

Quote:
Financial crunch: Expressway expansion hits snags

By Danish Hussain

Published: July 12, 2014

The Rs17.5 billion expansion project involves construction of a 24-kilometre-long signal-free corridor from Zero Point to Rawat and if executed, it will take only 15 minutes to cover distance between the two points.

ISLAMABAD:

The Islamabad Expressway expansion may be delayed because of shortage of fund as neither the Capital Development Authority (CDA) nor the federal government has made any allocation for it in the current budget.

The Rs17.5 billion expansion project involves construction of a 24-kilometre-long signal-free corridor from Zero Point to Rawat and if executed, it will take only 15 minutes to cover distance between the two points.

The CDA is looking towards the federal government to fund the project under the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP), as the civic agency has been facing financial crunch to initiate work on it, a CDA official told The Express Tribune.

“The CDA lacks the requisite funds to carry out work on the project and we are looking towards the federal government to finance it,” CDA Member Engineering Shahid Sohail said.

He, however, dispelled the impression that the project would face delay because of the funding issue.

“Currently, the CDA is shaping up the project and it is likely to be finalised by the end of the first quarter of current financial year,” Sohail said.

Earlier, the federal government had consented to provide up to 50 per cent for the project, but the fragile financial position of the CDA does not allow it to arrange Rs8.5 billion funds which may cause delay.

Meanwhile, the civic agency was also contemplating the option of constructing the road on a build-operate-and-transfer (BOT) basis, a senior official said adding that the option was yet to be shared with the federal government.

“A tax of Rs30 will be levied on light vehicles and Rs50 on heavy vehicles plying the highway and the contractor who will bear the cost of the project will be given the contract,” he said.

Petrol pumps, wedding halls and housing societies, which were operating on both sides of the highway, would be charged fee for using the CDA land.
The official said that drivers who did not want to pay the toll could use service roads instead of the highway.

The CDA recently floated an advertisement to pre-qualify consultant firms for design, construction and supervision of the project, but the prequalification was yet to be announced.

“The Rs17.5 billion cost is tentative and based on estimations. It can go up or down after completion of the engineering design,” said an official of authority’s finance wing.
The official rejected the notion that highrise buildings on both sides of the highway would be erected.

But, a senior officer of the Cabinet Division, who attended a meeting regarding the project at the Prime Minister’s office a few days ago, confirmed that the road would be developed on the patron of Dubai’s Sheikh Zayed Road, which has highrise buildings on both sides.
The project involves construction of two overhead passages one each in front of the Koral Chowk and the Defence Housing Authority with seven underpasses mostly in front of housing societies located along the highway.

The highway would have 10 lanes — five lanes on each side — with three flexible and two rigid pavements.

The portion of the Islamabad Expressway between Zero Point and Koral Chowk is already consisted of 10 lanes.

If executed, the project would boost real estate business in Zone-V of Islamabad, as dozens of private housing societies fall along the highway.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 12th, 2014.

Ahmad Rashid Ahmad liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:23 PM   #18
ryzvonusef

I took a video of the portion to be expanded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW_I3yKBH1Y

From Koral Chowk to Kak Pul.

Last edited by ryzvonusef; August 1st, 2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:17 PM   #19
waqas03

Likes (Received): 471

islamabad expressway expansion details....

http://www.cda.gov.pk/documents/investment/RFQ-313.pdf
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #20
santix

Likes (Received): 1865

From today's Daily Jang

ahmad sh. liked this post
santix no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: