daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:27 PM   #301
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Report highlights vulnerability of Amtrak’s NYC tunnels
Thursday, October 02, 2014

A NEW engineering report assessing the damage caused to the Amtrak-owned Hudson River and East River tunnels in New York City by Superstorm Sandy in October 2012 recommends a phased process of maintenance works, which will require taking individual tunnel tubes out of service for extended periods

While the report found that the tunnels remain safe for passenger operations and there is no evidence that the tunnel linings are unsound, it notes that chlorides and sulfates have, and are continuing to cause, significant damage to key tunnel components such as the bench walls and track as well as signalling electrical and mechanical systems. It consequently highlights the need to push ahead with the Gateway Program to construct a new railway tunnel in New York

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #302
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

From Time Leadger:

Quote:
http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2...4_10_03_q.html

LIRR plans a return to Elmhurst after nearly 30 years
OCTOBER 2, 2014

The MTA budgets for a new LIRR station on Whitney Avenue in Elmhurst to replace one that was shuttered in 1985

The Long Island Rail Road is taking steps to return service to Elmhurst for the first time in nearly 30 years.

When the MTA released its new Capital Program last week, $40 million was budgeted for a new railway station to replace the one that stood on Broadway between Cornish and Whitney avenues.

U.S. Reps. Joe Crowley (D-Jackson Heights) and Grace Meng (D-Flushing) as well as Councilman Daniel Dromm (D-Jackson Heights) launched a campaign in 2012 to bring back rail service to the community

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #303
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

New Jersey Transit's Hoboken Yard

New Jersey Transit Hoboken Yard
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

New Jersey Transit ALP45DP# 4504 parked in Hoboken Yard

New Jersey Transit Hoboken Yard Signal Yard

Hoboken Approach

New Jersey Transit MOW Crew on the Hoboken Approach

Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; April 10th, 2015 at 09:39 PM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #304
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Long Island Railroad at Atlantic Terminal

Atlantic Terminal in Downtown Brooklyn,New York

Long Island Railroad at Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn

Long Island Railroad Train crossing Reynolds Channel in Long Beach,New York

Long Island Railroad Train crossing Reynolds Channel in Long Beach,New York

Long Island Railroad at Long Beach Station

Last edited by Nexis; November 17th, 2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:37 AM   #305
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old October 29th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #306
benjaminh

Likes (Received): 55

New York Daily News article on NTSB findings regarding five Metro North accidents in 2013/14 that killed 6 and injured 126:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1989796
Metro North's lax management is identified as the main contributing factors to the accidents, in particular the 2013 Spuyten Duyvil derailment.

NTSB press release here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2014/141028.html

Brief summary of findings (from the NTSB press release): "In its investigation of five Metro-North accidents, the National Transportation Safety Board identified several recurring safety issues, including inadequate and ineffective track inspection and maintenance, extensive deferred maintenance issues, inadequate safety oversight, and deficiencies in passenger car crashworthiness, roadway worker protection procedures and organizational safety culture."

The NTSB specifically criticizes Metro North as well as the Federal Railroad Administration for not implementing recommendations made by the agency (again from the press release): "The NTSB has made numerous recommendations to the railroad and the regulator that could have prevented or mitigated these accidents. But recommendations can only make a difference if the recipients of our recommendations act on them."
benjaminh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #307
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5787

NJT Raritan Valley Line one-seat ride expansion - Jan 2015

Beginning Jan 2015, evening direct service from NY Penn Station to the Raritan Valley Line in New Jersey will begin. Currently, there are only five direct one-seat trains during weekday non-peak hours to and from NY Penn. Other journeys require a transfer at Newark Penn Station.

There will be four direct trains in each direction each weekday evening. No direct peak hour service is being offered due to capacity constraints in the North River Tunnels.

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/20...n_january.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #308
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line expansion - 2014.11.09

New Haven Line undergoes an expansion next month. This includes:

1. Institution of off-peak half-hourly service on outer New Haven Line (Stamford-New Haven) during most periods during the day.

2. A new Saturday train will depart New Haven Union Station at 9:20 a.m., stopping at Bridgeport only at 9:42 a.m., before going express to Harlem-125th St (10:47 am) and Grand Central (10:58 am). This train also runs Sundays during busy holiday shopping period (2014.11.23 through 2014.12.28).

3. A new train will depart New Haven Union Station at 10:41 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays, make a Bridgeport stop at 11:03 a.m., then go express to Harlem-125th St (12:08 p.m.) and Grand Central (12:19 p.m.)

4. A new train will depart New Haven Union Station at 10:46 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays, run local to Stamford (11:55 p.m.), then go express to Harlem-125th St (12:34 a.m.) and Grand Central (12:45 a.m.). This fills a nearly two-hour gap between the last two weekend trains out of New Haven (currently scheduled at 9:46 p.m and 11:42 p.m.)

5. Currently on Saturdays and Sundays Waterbury Branch trains depart Bridgeport for Waterbury at 8:43 a.m., 11:41 a.m., 2:41 p.m., 6:41 p.m and 10:41 p.m. Starting 2014.11.09, an extra Waterbury-bound train is added and the Bridgeport departures change to 8:43 a.m., 11:41 a.m., 2:41 p.m., 5:41 p.m., 8:41 p.m. and 11:41 p.m. This introduces a consistent three-hour headway and the last train now leaves one hour later.

6. Currently on Saturdays and Sundays Waterbury Branch trains depart Waterbury for Bridgeport at 7:10 a.m, 10:10 a.m., 1:10 p.m., 4:10 p.m. and 8:10 p.m. Starting 2014.11.09, an extra Bridgeport-bound train is added and the Waterbury departures change to 7:10 a.m., 10:02 a.m., 1:10 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 7:10 p.m. and 10:10 p.m. This introduces a consistent three-hour headway and the last train now leaves two hours later. Plus, that 10:02 a.m. Waterbury departure, which arrives in Bridgeport at 10:57 a.m., has a connection to the new 10:41 a.m. super-express out of New Haven, stopping in Bridgeport at 11:03 a.m.

7. On weekdays, a new train will leave Grand Central at 6:35 p.m., stopping at Harlem-125th St (6:45 p.m.), then running express to Greenwich (7:15 p.m.), Stamford (7:23 p.m), and after Stamford running local to South Norwalk (7:42 p.m.)

http://www.mta.info/press-release/me...n-line-service

Svartmetall liked this post
Old November 6th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #309
Dofin

Likes (Received): 0

I currently work on Hudson yards on the casing project with perini and i worked over at ESA with superior doing shotcrete. Do you guys have any questions?
Dofin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #310
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

With respect to ESA, what was it like to be working on something that will not be complete within your lifetime and possibly never? Did that ever come up in conversation between the various guys on the job?
Old November 6th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #311
Dofin

Odd question but the truth is we were just focused on what we were doing (CQ32) which was the Sunny Side Yard project posted above. The goal of a GC is to build what was given to us well, on time and make money on it. if the owner cant get their shit together it really isn't our problem. Superior is out of there already and moved onto the caverns in MH (CMO5 CMO6). Personally the coolest thing id like to see is the day we're allowed to drop a TBM in and cross the Hudson on the Amtrak project. We're about to start phase 2 on that project and go under 11th ave but the contract hasn't been officially awarded so I'm not sure what I should or shouldn't say about that.
Old November 6th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #312
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dofin View Post
the caverns in MH (CMO5 CMO6)
that's the new LIRR platforms deep under GCT?
Old November 6th, 2014, 03:00 AM   #313
Dofin

Yeah. I guess they were broken up into a bunch of smaller (but still huge dollar value) contracts and put out for bid. I know Frontier Kemper is doing 6 as the GC, which is a subsidiary of my company. I think micheals has the other one. CMO13? i think is coming out next. I've been on hudson yards for the last year though so its hard for me to tell you exactly whats going on with ESA though. Our sub did almost hit a train last week doing dewatering at CQ though. That was a rough one.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1995113
Old November 6th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #314
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Long Island Railroad West Side Yard

LIRR Holding yard W of Penn Station
by punkrawker4783, on Flickr

LIRR Holding yard W of Penn Station
by punkrawker4783, on Flickr
Old November 8th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #315
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Grand Central Terminal

Grand Central Terminal in Midtown Manhattan

Arnorian liked this post
Old November 11th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #316
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

status of M8 cars on Metro-North New Haven Line

405 M8 rail cars were ordered from Kawasaki. The first 38 were built in Kobe, the rest in Lincoln, Nebraska. As of 2014.11.10:

Quote:
Delivered to New Haven Yard: 385 (total)
Under Inspection and Testing by Kawasaki Rail Car, Inc.: 11 (includes 7 single cars)
Conditionally Accepted by Metro-North Railroad for Service: 374
Information Provided: 11/10/14
5 new rail cars were delivered to Metro North over the course of the past month.

updated information:
Quote:
More M8s In Service (effective with the November 9, 2014 Timetable)

Nearly all New Haven Line trains are operating with M8s. Generally, 94% of the main line electric trains are M8s and 100% of regularly scheduled weekend main line electric trains are M8s. However, four of the special weekend "shoppers' specials" that operate between 11/22 and 12/28 will consist of the older equipment.

These trains operate during peak and off-peak service between New Haven, Stamford and Grand Central Terminal.

M8 Bike Rack Prototype

The Connecticut Department of Transportation and MTA Metro-North Railroad are conducting an extended test of a prototype bike mount system specifically designed and manufactured for the M-8 fleet. Production of a prototype was completed, and installation is now underway on a limited number of M8 cars. A total of 50 M-8 cars will be fitted with a pair of bicycle racks in order to gain additional feedback from customers before a decision is made on whether to expand installation of these racks to the remainder of the M-8 fleet. Currently, 27 of the 50 M-8 cars have been fitted with the bike racks.

Production Progress

Seven single M8 cars have been delivered by Kawasaki to New Haven and are being outfitted for testing with the "married pairs" of M8s. The remaining 18 single cars are slated for delivery through the end of December. Kawasaki continues to prepare M8 cars for the testing phase before being accepted for regularly scheduled train service.
source: http://m.mta.info/mt/web.mta.info/mnr/html/newM8.html
Old November 11th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #317
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Restoration of weekend service to West Hempstead Branch (LIRR)

In Sept 2010, the MTA instituted budget cutbacks that included getting rid of all weekend service on its West Hempstead Branch.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...anch-1.2301080

Beginning 2014.11.22, weekend service will be restored. The new schedule is below:

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/

All trains will run from W Hempstead to Valley Stream. There will be no direct service to NYC. Weekday peak-hour trains generally run between Atlantic Terminal (Brooklyn) and W Hempstead.

What this means is that LIRR will run 7-day service to each of its stations in Nassau and Suffolk counties (except Belmont Park) from 2014.11.22 through 2014.11.30 (Ronkonkoma-Greenport section of Ronkonkoma Branch reverts to weekday-only service beginning December). The two stations in Long Island City, Queens are not served on weekends.
Old November 17th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #318
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Metro North Harlem Line at Fleetwood Station

North White Plains Bound Harlem line Local departing Fleetwood Station

North White Plains Bound Harlem line Local departing Fleetwood Station

Metro North Harlem Line at Fleetwood Station