daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2015, 02:11 AM   #401
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Quote:
Governor Cuomo Announces Final Design for Revitalized Hicksville Station

By Long Island News & PRs -- Published: February 24 2015

Hicksville, NY - February 23rd, 2015 - Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the final design for a new Long Island Rail Road station in Hicksville. The project is a $120 million investment meant to revitalize the region’s busiest transit hub and kick-start residential and commercial development in the hamlet's downtown. Renderings of the project can be viewed here.

“By renovating the Hicksville station, we’re moving ahead with much-needed upgrades at one of the LIRR’s busiest outlets and breathing new economic life into the community,” Governor Cuomo said. “This rehabilitation is designed to fundamentally improve riders’ experiences at Hicksville while also setting the stage for expanded service through the East Side Access project, and I am pleased to see it moving forward.”
http://www.longisland.com/news/02-24...e-station.html
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 28th, 2015 at 05:38 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:48 PM   #402
Pierre50

Likes (Received): 31

Any pictures from the very icy, snowy and wintery period you are experiencing ?
Pierre50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:40 PM   #403
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre50 View Post
Look at the top of this page, and look at www.nycsubway.org
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:50 PM   #404
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre50 View Post
No. Why? Because you are freaking annoying posting same question every damn topic.

CNB30, Nexis liked this post
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #405
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I finally got around to doing the Long Island Railroad on my custom Map. Well start off with the Core Urban Network of the LIRR which includes the Atlantic , Port Washington , Long Beach , and Far Rockaway Branches along with the Lower Montuak line. Addition lines like the Rockaway Beach Branch and the Regional Railway were added into the map. Ive also added in , infill stations that were proposed by other transit bloggers and local community boards... I did change the train per hr into a service level I would like to see. Which I feel would create a better network.

In Service / Proposed / Under Construction

The Map

Atlantic Branch
Atlantic Terminal
Nostrand Avenue
East New York
Woodhaven Junction
Jamaica
108 Ave
Foch Boulevard

Locust Manor
Laurelton
Rosedale
Valley Stream

Train Distribution
5 Trains per Hour
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to Long Beach ,Local Service all the way
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to Babylon , Express Service to Jamaica , Valley Stream and Local Service to Babylon
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to Far Rockaway , Local Service all the way
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to West Hempstead via St. Albans , Local Service all the way
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to Hempstead , Express Service to Jamaica and Local Service to Hempstead

Babylon Branch
(Grand Central Terminal starting in 2023)
New York Penn Station
Sunnyside JCT
Woodside
Forest Hills
Kew Gardens
Jamaica
Saint Albans
Valley Stream
Lynbrook
Rockville Centre
Baldwin
Freeport
Merrick
Bellmore
Wantagh
Seaford
Massapequa
Massapequa Park
Amityville
Copiague
Lindenhurst
Babylon

Train Distribution
4 Trains per hour
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to Babylon , Express Service to Jamaica , Valley Stream and Local Service to Babylon
3 Trains : Penn Station to Babylon , Express Service to Jamaica , Valley Stream and Local Service to Babylon

After 2023
6 Trains per hour
2 Trains : Penn Station to Babylon , Express Service to Jamaica , Valley Stream and Local Service to Babylon
3 Trains : Grand Central to Babylon , Express Service to Jamaica , Valley Stream , Local Service to Babylon

West Hempstead Branch
(Grand Central Terminal Starting in 2023)
New York Penn Station
Sunnyside JCT
Woodside
Forest Hills
Kew Gardens
Jamaica
Saint Albans
Valley Stream
Westwood
Malverne
Lakeview
Hempstead Gardens
West Hempstead

Train Distribution
1 Train per hour
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to West Hempstead via St. Albans, Local Service all the way
After 2023
2 Trains per Hour
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to West Hempstead via St. Albans , Local Service all the way
1 Train : Grand Central to West Hempstead via St. Albans, Local Service all the way

Hempstead Branch
New York Penn Station
Sunnyside JCT
Woodside
Forest Hills
Kew Gardens
Jamaica
Hollis
Francis Lewis Boulevard
Queens Village
Floral Park
Stewart Manor
Nassau Boulevard
Garden City
Country Life Press
Hempstead

Train Distribution
2 Trains per hour
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to Hempstead , Express Service to Jamaica and Local Service to Hempstead
1 Train : Penn Station to Hempstead , Local Service all the way

After 2023
2 Trains per Hour
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to Hempstead , Local Service all the way
1 Train : Grand Central to Hempstead , Express to Jamaica , Floral Park and Local Service to Hempstead

Far Rockaway Branch
Atlantic Terminal
Nostrand Avenue
East New York
Jamaica
108 Ave
Foch Boulevard

Locust Manor
Laurelton
Rosedale
Valley Stream
Gibson
Hewlett
Woodmere
Cedarhurst
Lawrence
Inwood
Far Rockaway

Train Distribution
2 Trains per hour
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to Far Rockaway ,Local Service all the way
1 Train : Penn Station to Far Rockaway , Local Service all the way

After 2023
2 Trains per Hour
1 Train : Atlantic Terminal to Far Rockaway , Local Service all the way
1 Train : Grand Central to Far Rockaway , Express to Jamaica , Local Service to Far Rockaway

Long Beach Branch
New York Penn Station
Sunnyside JCT
Jamaica
Valley Stream
Lynbrook
Centre Avenue
East Rockaway
Oceanside
Island Park
Long Beach

Train Distribution
2 Trains per hour
1 Train : Penn Station to Long Beach , Express Service to Jamaica , Valley Stream , Local Service to Long Beach

After 2023
3 Trains per Hour
1 Train : Penn Station to Long Beach , Express Service to Jamaica , Valley Stream , Local Service to Long Beach
1 Train : Grand Central to Long Beach , Express Service to Jamaica , Lynbrook via St. Albans , Local Service to Long Beach

Port Washington Branch
(Grand Central Terminal starting in 2023)
New York Penn Station
Sunnyside JCT
Woodside
Elmhurst
Mets–Willets Point
Flushing Main Street
Murray Hill
Broadway
Auburndale
Bayside
Douglaston
Little Neck
Great Neck
Manhasset
Plandome
Port Washington

Train Distribution
2 Trains per hour
1 Train : Penn Station to Great Neck , Local Service all the way
1 Train : Penn Station to Port Washington , Express Service to Douglaston , Local Service to Port Washington

After 2023
3 Trains per Hour
1 Train : Grand Central to Great Neck , Local Service all the way
1 Train : Penn Station to Great Neck , Local Service all the way
1 Train : Grand Central to Port Washington , Express Service to Douglaston , Local Service to Port Washington

I will be doing the rest of the Island later this week along with some detailed through service ideas I have.

streetscapeer liked this post
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #407
zzibit

Likes (Received): 318

crazy!
zzibit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 10:46 AM   #408
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Harlem Line Diesel Train in Katonah,NY

METRO-NORTH--6225 appr Katonah IB
by milantram, on Flickr
Old March 8th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #409
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Outbound Northeast Corridor Train crossing the Passaic River Dock Bridge and Entering Newark Penn Station

NY Skyline 194
by stevensiegel260, on Flickr

Arnorian liked this post
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #410
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Someone asked me a while back why I don't post many LIRR articles and Photo Journeys. Most of the LIRR News articles are behind a paywall from either Newsday or News 12 which are both owned by Cable companies. So sadly I cannot access more then a few sentences of most articles unless they are a few years old. This also hampers me and other members keeping up to date with the numerous TOD projects on the Island. I few people feed me tidbits and take some photos , but most of us are left in the dark about the projects. Which is sad because LI is really starting to embrace TOD and the upgrades to the LIRR are increasing.. As for photo Journeys , I do plan on doing a few new places this Summer.

Patchogue in May Which will be for documenting the redevelopment in Downtown along with some Bay Photos. This will be my first trip on the LIRR Diesel Network...it will also include photos from the Babylon Branch / Montuak Branch. I might even give an overview of Jamaica Station that day.

In July I will be doing my Branch to Branch walk , Inwood to Long Beach Stations. That trip might include a complete overview the Long Island City area , LIC Terminal , Hunterspoint Ave and part of the Lower Montuak Branch.

In August I will be taking a trip to Seacliff,NY to photograph the various historical homes and just to travel up the Oyster Bay Branch. I will include Mineola , and Woodside in that trip.

storms991 liked this post
Old March 9th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #411
Nexis
Dark Wolf

The Solari Board at Newark Penn is coming down this Weekend... It stood for 60 years if i'm not mistaken...

Solari Departure Board at Newark Penn Station
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #412
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Has there been any news regarding the Gateway Project? Recently read in the NYTimes that a the latest funding bill for Amtrak was passed by the House.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #413
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Has there been any news regarding the Gateway Project? Recently read in the NYTimes that a the latest funding bill for Amtrak was passed by the House.
Sadly not much movement , which is abit depression as I would be able to provide weekly updates of the above ground portions.
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #414
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Well did the house passes the part of the bill that would allow Amtrak access to $30 billion in bonds? If they did then Gateway is back in business.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #415
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Well did the house passes the part of the bill that would allow Amtrak access to $30 billion in bonds? If they did then Gateway is back in business.
Thx for the info Nexis. & Tower Dude, it may have just been the routine authorization of funds for normal operations. The article did include information regarding Amtrak's new access to a $35B loan fund (which would most likely be in the form of bond issuances).

A search on Google News returns no results on the Gateway Project for the duration of this entire year unfortunately. Update: Upon further searching, I found these two articles - the second was published recently. It seems that Amtrak is no longer able to divert income from the NE Corridor to subsidize operations in other states, which in the short term is bad, yet in the long term should allow Amtrak to increase its investments in the NE and potentially increase profits nationally. There is a chance Corey Booker will include funding for the Gateway Project while the bill is in the Senate.

Quote:

The House voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to end Amtrak’s practice of using revenue from the popular Northeast Corridor, which bisects New Jersey, to subsidize low-ridership long-distance routes around the country.

The four-year financing bill orders Amtrak to develop a master plan for improvements on the corridor and gives it access to a federal loan fund that had been only for freight railroads.

The bill does not mention the two 100-year-old tunnels Amtrak owns under the Hudson River that are in danger of failing within 20 years because of damage caused by Superstorm Sandy. Amtrak has been studying a project called Gateway that would include building two new tunnels, but financing from Congress is uncertain.

“That tunnel was stopped by the governor of New Jersey, as I recall, so this bill is not really going to address that issue,” Rep. Bill Shuster, the bill’s sponsor, said at a news conference after the House voted 316-101 in favor of the measure.

Governor Christie halted work in 2010 on a tunnel project overseen by NJ Transit, which owns most of the trains that go through Amtrak’s Hudson tunnels. Christie has said he would support a federally directed program because he believes new tunnels are a national priority.

The bill, which now goes to the Senate, authorizes spending $5.3 billion from 2016 through 2020 for Amtrak, about what is spent now. An additional $1.9 billion would be provided in grants to states that run intercity rail projects.

Amtrak would have access to a $35 billion loan fund and would be directed to use it to encourage states “to come to the table to seek loans to advance projects of national and regional significance,” the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee said in a statement accompanying the bill.

A spokesman for Shuster said those funds, and a portion of the state grants set aside for the Northeast Corridor, could be part of a solution for the aging tunnels.

Sen. Cory Booker, the top-ranking Democrat on the Senate surface transportation subcommittee, called the bill “a good first step.” Booker, of Newark, said he would work to increase the amount available for the Gateway tunnels and for replacing the Portal Bridge that carried Amtrak and NJ Transit trains over the Hackensack River.

Other provisions in the House bill would create a pilot program allowing crated dogs and cats to be carried in baggage cars; direct Amtrak to pursue other revenues, including advertising and real estate development around stations; and study what it would cost to launch non-stop high-speed service between New York and Boston or Washington.

Rep. Bill Pascrell, D-Paterson, applauded the House action, especially an amendment approved by unanimous voice vote that would require states to commit money to improving grade crossings, where roads cross railroad tracks.

After an article in The New York Times focused attention on an unsafe crossing in Bergen County last month, Pascrell urged the state transportation department to use some of its federal money for improvements.

“This bipartisan bill takes an important step toward improving safety at dangerous rail crossings, like Midland Avenue in Elmwood Park, which has caused two deaths and continues to pose a threat to the community,” Pascrell said in a statement. “It’s imperative that we continue to work to find a permanent solution to this grave public safety issue.”

The bill now goes to the Senate.

Every New Jersey House member voted for the bill, though Rep. Scott Garrett, R-Wantage, also backed an amendment, which the rest of the delegation opposed, that would have stripped all federal money from Amtrak. The amendment failed in a 147-272 vote, and Garrett’s office did not respond to an email seeking comment.

Opponents said eliminating federal money would push Amtrak into bankruptcy, but Rep. Tom McClintock, R-Calif., said Congress should recognize Amtrak is a money-losing operation.

“If we can’t bring ourselves to cut this, one of the most outrageous subsidies in the entire budget, voters have every right to ask what good are we,” he said.

The White House said it backed the bill, though it had wanted more federal money. The Club for Growth, a conservative advocacy group that seeks to shrink government and taxes, opposed the bill and said it would give negative grades on its annual report card to members who supported it.

Shuster, the transportation committee chairman, said both parties had made concessions to draft a bill that could win bipartisan support and affirm national support for passenger rail.

“This is not perfect, Amtrak’s not perfect, but we’re moving the ball in the right direction,” he said.
Additionally: New Amtrak Site Aims to Make the Case for the Gateway Project

Nexis liked this post

Last edited by storms991; March 11th, 2015 at 11:21 PM.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #416
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Trenton Transit Center

Northeast Corridor at Trenton Transit Center

SEPTA Trains

SEPTA Silverliner V at Trenton Transit Center

SEPTA train crawling into Trenton

SEPTA Silverliner Meet at Trenton

SEPTA &amp; Trenton

Amtrak Trains at Trenton Transit Center

AEM-7 # 948 pulling Westbound Amtrak Regional Train # 129 to Washington DC

AEM-7 # 948 pulling Amtrak Regional Train # 129 arriving at Trenton,NJ

AEM-7 # 948 pulling Amtrak Regional Train # 129 arriving at Trenton,NJ

Amtrak Regional Train # 129 arriving at Trenton,NJ

AEM-7 # 924 pulling Eastbound Amtrak Regional train # 148 to Springfield,MA

AEM-7 # 924 pulling Amtrak Regional train # 148

Eastbound Amtrak Keystone Train at Trenton

Eastbound Amtrak Keystone Train departing Trenton with Cities Sprinters # 609

Amtrak AEM-7 # 944 pulling Eastbound Silver Star # 92 to New York

Amtrak AEM-7 # 944 pulling Silver Star # 92 arriving at Trenton

Amtrak Silver Star # 92 at Trenton

Amtrak Silver Star # 92 departing Trenton

New Jersey Transit

New Jersey Transit ALP45DP # 4534 at Trenton

New Jersey Transit ALP45DP # 4534 at Trenton

Westbound New Jersey Transit Northeast Corridor train arriving at Trenton

Westbound New Jersey Transit train meets Eastbound Amtrak Regional train # 148 at Trenton

dimlys1994, patel2897 liked this post
Old March 13th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #417
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Gladstone Branch Speedsters

Crossing the Passaic River, a set of Arrow III's head to the terminus of Gladstone on this single track branch line.

Gladstone Branch Speedsters
by ericwill, on Flickr

dimlys1994, storms991 liked this post
Old March 14th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #418
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Westchester Sets Affordable Housing Precedent in Harrison Development

by Madeline Marvar
After months of press events and testimony at MTA board hearings calling for the inclusion of affordable housing in a transit-oriented development (TOD) project in Harrison, the Westchester Workforce Housing Coalition applauded a cooperative agreement between the MTA, the project developer, the Town of Harrison and Westchester County that provides for 5 percent of the new units to be reserved for affordable housing.

While 5 percent affordable housing is still not on par with the County’s model ordinance and is far less than the 20 percent that the Coalition was seeking, this is a critical step forward for Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino, who successfully moderated an agreement between the MTA and a local municipality, and advocates who have been pushing the cause.
Read More here : http://blog.tstc.org/2015/03/13/west...n-development/

dimlys1994, storms991 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; June 19th, 2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old March 16th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #419
Nexis
Dark Wolf

LIRR at Sunnyside Yard

LIRR at Sunnyside Yard
by t55z, on Flickr

storms991 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #420
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
LIRR at Sunnyside Yard

LIRR at Sunnyside Yard
by t55z, on Flickr
Ooh, look.

New cars. New ties. New 3rd rail. New poles. SHINY!!!!
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote