daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #461
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Also guys, the Senate and relevant subcommittees are in the process of debating and introducing bills and amendments to accompany S. 808: Surface Transportation Board Reauthorization Act of 2015. I believe the subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security met today, which is the main reason for the news from Sen. Booker's office.

You can track the progress of the bill here: Congress.gov and follow the Senate here (I prefer the Democratic website over the Senate's official page).

Quote:

NJ.com
Jonathan D. Salant
March 19th, 2015

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Cory Booker, saying he's "hitting the ground running," teamed with colleagues like Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and Sen. Elizabeth Warren to introduce six bills in the last two days on topics such as refinancing student loans and allowing those released from prison to vote in federal elections.

The flurry of bills increased Booker's 2015 output by 28 percent since Tuesday.

"I'm hitting the ground running," Booker (D-N.J.) said in an interview while rushing to the Capitol for a vote on a bill that he didn't introduce. "There's an urgency. I'm not going to waste time."

"If we expect to live up to our national ideals of liberty and justice for all, we must ensure that our democratic process is as consistent and fair as possible. It's not fair to deny the constitutionally-protected right to vote to people who have paid their debt to society." Booker said.

Then today, he joined with Warren (D-Mass.) to introduced legislation allowing student loans to be refinanced at the same 3.86 percent rate that the government approved for new borrowers. "If we can refinance car and home loans, we should also refinance school loans," Booker said.

He also introduced bills with his colleagues to allow states to use federal education funds for programs that would promote alternatives to automatic suspensions for students who misbehave, and to make changes so that railroads will find it easier to borrow from the Federal Railroad Administration's $35 billion loan program.

Booker said the changes in the railroad loan program could make it easier to get funding to rebuild Amtrak's century-old Portal Bridge between Kearny and Secaucus over the Hackensack River, and build the Gateway Project, a new rail tunnel from New Jersey to New York City.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #462
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 05:06 AM   #463
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I was on TV

Old March 26th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #464
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5772

2015.03.25 Metro North New Haven Line rolling stock update

The number of M8 cars delivered to New Haven Yard has passed the 400 mark!

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/newM8.html

Out of a total 404 cars that have been delivered, 20 are undergoing inspection and testing, while 384 have been accepted for service.

dimlys1994, bodegavendetta liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #465
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
The number of M8 cars delivered to New Haven Yard has passed the 400 mark!

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/newM8.html

Out of a total 404 cars that have been delivered, 20 are undergoing inspection and testing, while 384 have been accepted for service.
Well! Finally some good news. Only one more car to be delivered.

I wonder if the next order (which is looking more and more likely) will add the bar cars at last.

This next order (currently being discussed at the state level) is supposed to allow them to start cascading onto the Shore Line East, and possibly extend some SLE runs all the way to Grand Central!
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #466
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

So this means that the M-8s will begin Shore Line East
Operations soon?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #467
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5772

Metro North schedule changes 2015.04.26

http://www.mta.info/press-release/me...hange-april-26

Quote:
Metro-North Schedules to Change April 26

A Number of Minor Schedule Adjustments Aim to Improve Reliability and Convenience

Metro-North Railroad’s new train schedules effective Sunday, April 26, improve reliability and put more trains in service, making travel more convenient for customers. The schedules also will temporarily lengthen weekend travel times by up to five minutes to provide the appropriate track outages necessary to perform critical track maintenance work and capital construction projects.

Harlem Line

On weekends, Metro-North is adding a new train from Grand Central to Southeast, and is extending five trains that currently begin or end their runs at Mount Kisco, meaning more trains stopping at more stations.

The new train will depart Grand Central at 1:22 p.m. and make select stops between Scarsdale and Southeast. The 2:22 p.m. and 3:22 p.m. trains from Grand Central will be extended to Southeast, stopping at Bedford Hills, Katonah, Goldens Bridge, Purdy’s, Croton Falls and Brewster. The southbound trains that originate at Mount Kisco at 4:02 p.m., 5:02 p.m. and 6:02 p.m. will instead originate at Southeast, increasing service availability to those stations as well.

On weekdays, to reduce crowding on the 6:51 a.m. train from Southeast, the train will instead originate at Goldens Bridge. Approximately 220 customers who normally board at Southeast, Brewster, Croton Falls or Purdy’s will be able to take the 7:01 a.m. train from Southeast, which makes fewer stops and arrives at Grand Central Terminal just two minutes after the 6:51 a.m. train. To avoid the potential for overcrowding on the 7:01 a.m. train, it will no longer stop at White Plains. And to reduce the potential for congestion in this time period, the 6:00 a.m. from Wassaic will depart eleven minutes earlier, at 5:49 a.m.

New Haven Line

To better serve more Danbury Branch customers, a direct train to Danbury will depart from Grand Central at 8:01 p.m. This train will replace a Danbury-bound shuttle train that had originated at South Norwalk at 9:18 p.m. To allow for equipment to be in place for this new train, the 4:29 p.m. Danbury-bound departure from Grand Central, will be replaced by a Danbury-bound train originating in Stamford at 5:18 p.m. (with connecting service from Grand Central). Ridership studies found that only 9% of the riders of the 4:29 p.m. train who boarded at Grand Central were using it for travel to Danbury Branch stations.

The new 8:01 p.m. train from Grand Central to Danbury will take the place of the current 8:03 p.m. train to New Haven. As a result, the existing 8:06 p.m. train to New Haven will make additional stops at Stamford, East Norwalk, Green’s Farms, and Southport, and will depart one minute later.

On the Waterbury Branch, two major construction projects will impact train service between April and October.

• From April 25 through May 3, track work will be performed on the single-track Waterbury Branch. Substitute bus service will be provided at all times during this nine day outage. Bus schedules will be communicated to customers via special seat notices and other customer communications methods.
• From May 4 through early October, a steel repair project on the Devon Movable Bridge will prevent Waterbury Branch trains from accessing the main line between the junction point and Bridgeport station, where connections are normally made between main line and Waterbury Branch trains. During this time a temporary platform will permit transfers between Waterbury Branch and main line trains at a temporary station known as “Devon Transfer,” located where the Waterbury Branch track connects with the main line west of Milford.

Hudson Line

In response to customer requests, the weekday 7:39 a.m. train from Irvington will begin stopping at Greystone, at 7:50 a.m.

The weeknight 10:55 p.m. semi-express from Croton-Harmon will be combined with the 11:00 p.m. local from Croton-Harmon. Counter to a general ridership increase, ridership at this time of night in this direction has declined, and this change will allow the railroad to better position its trains to improve reliability at busier times.

The train that currently departs Poughkeepsie at 8:59 a.m. on weekdays will now depart at 9:15 a.m. This train will also add stops at Ossining and Tarrytown, similar to other off-peak Poughkeepsie trains.
The 8:01 pm from Grand Central to Danbury will be the first through off-peak train on the Danbury branch.

As stated above, the 7:01 am from Southeast will no longer call at White Plains. This will make it the second morning train to skip White Plains (the 6:12 am from Southeast runs local to Mt Kisco (6:39 am), then express to 125th St (7:20 am) and Grand Central (7:33 am) ). In afternoon peak, four outbound trains skip White Plains.

More details about temporary Devon train-to-train platform are here:

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/waterbury_seat_notice.htm
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #468
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Croton-Harmon, New York January 1966

rr105
by George Hamlin, on Flickr

kyah117 liked this post
Old March 27th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #469
Tower Dude

Beautiful find Nexis!
Also Which one of the lovely people in the video is you?

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #470
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Beautiful find Nexis!
Also Which one of the lovely people in the video is you?
I'm the guy in the orange with the camera on the escalator...

storms991 liked this post
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #471
Tower Dude

Thank you Nexis, it's nice to have a Face to match the Name.

storms991 liked this post
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:31 AM   #472
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Thank you Nexis, it's nice to have a Face to match the Name.
I posted my picture in the Canadain section a few times..
Old March 28th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #473
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Beautiful pictures of Newark Penn I've always loved the ceiling in particular.

Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #474
00Zy99

Quote:
So this means that the M-8s will begin Shore Line East
Operations soon?
Maybe. They've been planning that since '07-'09. But there have been ridership increases on the New Haven Line.
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:01 AM   #475
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Maybe. They've been planning that since '07-'09. But there have been ridership increases on the New Haven Line.
Ridership was around 55,000 in 2005 , now its 125,000. I posted a futuristic forecast a few pages back. Which factored in various TOD Projects , Job Creation and Line upgrades... Wouldn't surprise me if Ridership hit 205,000 by 2025 or 2030...
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #476
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
NJ Transit commuters pay the highest fares in the country, analysis finds

By Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on March 27, 2015 at 1:50 PM, updated March 27, 2015 at 5:38 PM

NJ Transit commuters who travel 48 miles between New York and Princeton Junction, pay $414 for a monthly pass, higher than the $377 monthly fare that a Long Island Rail Road rider pays to travel 49 miles between New York and Smithtown. Metro North commuters would pay $407 a month for a 52-mile trip between New York and Brewster, Conn., the study found
Read more : http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/...fare_says.html
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #477
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Ridership was around 55,000 in 2005 , now its 125,000. I posted a futuristic forecast a few pages back. Which factored in various TOD Projects , Job Creation and Line upgrades... Wouldn't surprise me if Ridership hit 205,000 by 2025 or 2030...
Is that daily? On SLE? Wow.

Yeah, when a quarter of a million people a day starts to be reasonable, you are looking at a serious operation, and you need to start looking at electrification.
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #478
Tower Dude

I think that's annual :/

Old March 29th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #479
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Is that daily? On SLE? Wow.

Yeah, when a quarter of a million people a day starts to be reasonable, you are looking at a serious operation, and you need to start looking at electrification.
No , that's the New Haven line and its daily usage... SLE is around 2500 a day...i'm sure that will increase with the new stations in Niantic and Old Lyme..
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #480
Tower Dude

Well the good news in this case is that ConnDoT contracts Shoreline East to Amtrak, and Amtrak owns the Catenary System so that make using the EMUs that less difficult