daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #521
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
NJ Transit fares could be hiked as much as 9 percent, state report says

By Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author
on April 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM, updated April 15, 2015 at 7:31 AM

Commuters could be hit with an NJ Transit fare increase that might reach 9 percent in fiscal year 2016, based on budget documents for the coming year.

NJ Transit's budget documents said revenue from fares would increase by 8.8 percent, from the $928.6 million earned in fiscal year 2015 to $1.01 billion in 2016, according to an Office of Legislative Services' review of NJ Transit's financials.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...port_says.html
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #522
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Tell NJ Transit your opinion about the New Brunswick train yard expansion

Email the author
on April 15, 2015 at 8:10 AM, updated April 15, 2015 at 8:11 AM

NEW BRUNSWICK -- A plan to build two places to park NJ Transit trains that are safe from flooding will get its first scrutiny and comments from the public this week.
Read More at : http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...expansion.html
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:20 AM   #523
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
NJ Transit Raritan River bridge is Sandy's latest casualty

Email the author
on September 19, 2014 at 5:03 PM, updated September 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM

A 106-year-old drawbridge, which carries North Jersey Coast Line trains over the Raritan River, will be replaced due to structural damage from Hurricane Sandy.

“We applied for the (federal) funding because the existing bridge was damaged and a new structure with a resilient design is necessary,” said Nancy Snyder, a spokeswoman for NJ Transit. “It did suffer structural damage.”

Read More at :
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._casualty.html
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #524
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I love the feeling when your exiting the tunnel...the train feels like a rocket...
NYC Grand Central Terminal to Harlem-125 St via Park Avenue Tunnel

dimlys1994, Nexis liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #525
Nexis
Dark Wolf

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #526
mrsmartman

Grand Central Terminal - New York

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...ikipedia_2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ra...TracksPlan.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ra...TracksPlan.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gr..._Platforms.jpg

dimlys1994, Nexis liked this post
Old April 18th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #527
mrsmartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow on the Wall View Post
PRR New York Tunnel Extension

"Pennsy's" North River Tunnel a Marvel of Skill

THE NEW YORK TUNNEL EXTENSION OF THE PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD.

dimlys1994, Nexis, _Night City Dream_ liked this post
Old April 19th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #528
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Northeast Corridor #7853 to Trenton
Quote:
Stopping at :
Newark Liberty Airport
Elizabeth
Linden
Rahway
Metropark
Metuchen
Edison
New Brunswick
Princeton JCT
Hamilton
Trenton

by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Old April 21st, 2015, 01:32 AM   #529
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Metro-North builds for future at Croton rail yard

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/tran...shop/26048767/
Old April 21st, 2015, 05:14 AM   #530
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Driver cited for ignoring warning gates in crash at dangerous Elmwood Park railroad crossing

http://cliffviewpilot.com/driver-cit...park-crossing/
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:01 PM   #531
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Newark Penn Station - Amtrak & New Jersey Transit

12:30-3:40pm / Westbound/Outbound Trains

Last edited by Nexis; April 21st, 2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:09 PM   #532
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Northeast Corridor agencies debut five-year capital improvement plan
Various regional transit and government agencies earlier earlier this month released a five-year capital plan for the Northeast Corridor (NEC), which runs from Washington, D.C., to Boston.

Amtrak, the U.S. Department of Transportation and eight commuter-rail agencies are among those that have signed onto the plan to address the region's aging infrastructure. The plan covers a wide swath of improvement projects, from basic repairs, such as replacing old ties, to major rehab efforts on the region's bridges and tunnels.
http://www.progressiverailroading.co...nt-plan--44210

Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:43 PM   #533
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Delays ahead on major Valley road

Michael P. Mayko
Updated 5:56 am, Wednesday, April 22, 2015

DERBY -- If the delays on the Route 34 bridge crossing into downtown haven't gotten you down yet -- get ready to get on the bus.

Now the section of Division Street where Metro-North's Waterbury branch runs will be closed for at least a week beginning Friday as a new railroad crossing signal is installed and old track removed.

"The average daily traffic on Division Street in the vicinity of the rail crossing is approximately 21,400 vehicles per day," said Stephen P. Curley, a DOT engineer.

shuttled by bus to Bridgeport from Sunday to May 3, said Metro-North spokeswoman Marjorie Anders.
Read More here : http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/...ad-6214509.php
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:35 AM   #534
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
8 Critical Rail Projects That Amtrak Can't Afford

A major rail advisory commission presents a sobering new wish list for the Northeast Corridor over the next five years.

Eric Jaffe @e_jaffe Apr 21, 2015

Portal Bridge North
Additional Funding Needed: $1.02 billion

Yes—that is billion with a "b." But reconstructing the Portal Bridge over the Hackensack River in northeastern New Jersey is worth it. The century-plus-old span, finished in 1910, creates "one of the most persistent reliability challenges" on the entire Northeast Corridor, according the commission. That train speeds must drop to 60 mph from 90 mph in this section isn't the worst of it; the bridge has to open for water traffic about 100 times a year, with the resulting delays averaging 15 minutes. And when there's a malfunction—as occurred 15 times in 2014—the delay hits 72 minutes a pop.

The good news is designs are in hand. The bad news is the money to realize them is not.
Read the Rest here : http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/...afford/391038/

There is some slightly good news that wasn't in the article. The Pelham Bay Bridge will be replaced if NY state goes ahead with Penn Station access for Metro North along with a few Interchange upgrades and Catenary replacements. The Connecticut Bridges are part of a large 10 year , 100 billion state investment plan which is gaining some support in Connecticut. Some Federal Funding will be needed , but its more like 50/50 or 60/40 with some of the projects. The Gateway Project includes the Portal Bridge , i'm not sure why they chose to separate them. The 2 Really big concerning Projects are the Gateway and Baltimore Tunnels.... Everytime there's a failure on those 2 structures the whole corridor feels the ripple affect.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:47 PM   #535
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Inspector General report comes down hard on Metro North
By Rebecca Harshbarger, Bob Fredericks and Georgett Roberts

April 13, 2015 | 12:02am

Metro-North maintenance crews — responsible for making sure crucial switches and signals are operating properly — get little or no supervision, do not document their work, and are sometimes not even given assignments, according to a report from the MTA’s Inspector General.
Read More at : http://nypost.com/2015/04/13/inspect...n-metro-north/

Last edited by Nexis; September 19th, 2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:41 PM   #536
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some Proposals for various Infill Stations and Station expansions

Metro North
Waterbury Branch

Waterbury Station Expansion Plans , Justified in my opinion if service was extended up to Torrington and Hartford and the bus network was beefed. Its not funded yet and probably won't gain traction intill the Waterbury Branch upgrades are completed and ridership explodes along with those 2 expansions.

http://www.ct.gov/ecd/lib/ecd/2009-0...ting_final.pdf

Devon Station , the permanent station would anchor the Waterbury Branch and allow for more service to be added without taking up main Line slots. A temporary station opened up recently for nearby track and bridge work.

http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/docume...web_part_3.pdf

Wilbur Cross Parkway Infill Station , & Derby-Shelton Station expansions

http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/docume..._web_part4.pdf

Danbury Branch

Danbury Branch , Electrification , speed upgrades , infill stations and new track plans..

http://www.danburybranchstudy.com/do...031710-PPT.pdf

Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:48 PM   #537
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I went back to 2005 and look how much ridership has grown since then. I can't really gauge Long Island's TOD growth and LIRR ridership trends are also hard to gauge...so no LIRR for now. I will add in all the proposed Projects sometime next week.

Ridership
New Jersey Transit : 2005 | 186,575 : 2015 | 302,000 : 2025 | 528,220
Metro North : 2005 | 204,192 : 2015 | 298,700 : 2025 | 371,800
Combined : 2005 | 390.787 : 2015 | 600,700 : 2025 | 900,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Current Ridership from the 3rd Quarter Ridership counts & My Ridership Projections for Metro North & New Jersey Transit based on Redevelopment underway or proposed along the various corridors and lines , agency projections , and some other state / county info...

New Jersey Transit - Hoboken Divison

Pascack Valley line - 9,200 (2014) > 20,800 (2025) , Hackensack has a massive amount of TOD planned for the Downtown area , around 6,000 units could be built near Essex & Anderson Street over the next 10 years. Emerson , Westwood , Park Ridge , Nanuet and River Edge all have small TOD and infill Planned near the Stations.

Bergen County Line - 5,240 (2014) > 15,800 (2030) , With the Wesmont Redevelopment & station Under Construction , numerous Infill projects proposed and underway near the Rutherford station Ridership should see significant growth over the next 10 years. Fair Lawn is working on a town master plan which would include overhauling both Radburn and Broadway stations and rezoning the Broadway corridor.

Main Line - 11,470 (2014) > 36,800 (2030) , with TOD Plans being drawn up in Clifton , Ridgewood , Ramsey , Suffern and TOD already built near the Lyndhurst Station with more being planned its safe to say that ridership will skyrocket over the next 10 years...

Morristown & Gladstone Lines - 60,420 (2014) > 100,700 (2025) , With High Density TOD and infill underway in South Orange , Morristown , Orange & East Orange Ridership should explode over the next 10 years. Downtown Newark near Broad Street Station is starting to make a comeback after years of neglect with New companies setting up shop nearby or relocating companies from the burbs... Smaller towns like Netcong , Dover , Maplewood , Short Hills , Chatham and Madison have smaller Downtown TOD and Infill planned. The Reopening of Harrison Station is in the works which should add a few thousand riders with all the Ultra-High Density TOD underway in that town.

Montclair-Boonton line
- 17,390 (2014) > 37,200 (2025) , Recently Downtown Bloomfield has seen a slow but steadily increasing redevelopment boom adding 100s of new units with thousands in the pipeline. The area near Wateseeing avenue station also has a few thousand units underway or in the pipeline along Bay Street in Montclair. Boonton and Little Falls have small infill and TOD proposed near there stations..

Newark/New York Division

Northeast Corridor - 117,360 (2014) > 250,000 (2025) , Just about every station on the Northeast Corridor with the except of Jersey Ave has TOD underway or Planned. Downtown Newark in recent years has began to see hundreds of millions in investments with Billions more planned along with neighboring Ironbound which has seen rapid Infill in recent years. At least 50,000 units are in the pipeline for Downtown / University Heights & The Ironbound sections of Newark and while not all this newer ridership is destine for NEC , its still a sizable increase. Downtown New Brunswick is another city seeing massive redevelopment and Job growth. Although not as large as Downtown Newark's plans , it will still boost Ridership by a Sizable amount. Princeton JCT , Hamilton , Edison , Rahway , Linden and North Elizabeth all have at least 6,000+ new units planned for the area around the station along with Retail and Commercial space. Metuchen has a few thousand units in the works for the Downtown areas replacing the sea of parking with a garage and high density TOD. Monmouth JCT is new station being planned and will be attached to a large scale TOD project with Thousands of units , Retail and Commercial Space. Downtown Elizabeth and Trenton seem to have a few projects in the works but lag behind their other corridor peers. Jersey Avenue has a few proposals , along with Metropark...but nothing solid yet.

North Jersey Coast line - 21,830 (2014) > 35,600 (2030) South Amboy , Perth Amboy , Red Bank , Long Branch & Asbury Park all have TOD master plans for the areas around there stations. Redevelopment seems to be picking up along the corridor in recent years and ranges from infill along Main Street to former Industrial areas being redeveloped into high density TOD or Condos.. Point Pleasant , Belmar , Woodbridge , Bradley Beach all have smaller plans in the works... Avenel seems to have various proposals but nothing Solid yet.

Raritan Valley line - 23,190 (2014) > 31,320 (2030) , Cranford , Union , Plainfield , Somerville and Raritan all have TOD in the works near there stations or in the pipeline. There could be a restored station at Meeker Ave in the South Ward of Newark which would allow for some high density redevelopment.

Metro North

New Haven Line - 125,000 (2014) > 205,000 (2025) There are currently a few thousand units under Construction along the line in NY state and at least 10,000 in CT. Theres over 170,000 units in the works for various stations along the line. Cities like Stamford , New Haven , New Rochelle , Port Chester , Norwalk & Mount Vernon are where the bulk of those units with go. But Fairfield , Milford , Rye , Harrison , Greenwich ,West Haven , Pelham , and Stratford all have sizable TOD proposals in the works near there stations or in the Downtown areas.. Norwalk , New Haven & Stamford will decent growth in their job markets adding a decent amount of ridership. large Scale Retail Investments are in the works for near the South Norwalk , Bridgeport and Stamford Stations... Ridership should also increase with Hell Gate Service starting later this decade servicing a largely untapped reverse commuter population in The Bronx

Harlem Line - 43,076 (2014) > 74,200 (2025) , High Density TOD and Redevelopment is planned near the White Plains Station. Smaller Downtown Infill proposals are being drawn up in Scarsdale , Bronxville , Brewster , Katonah , North White Plains , Mount Vernon West and Tuckahoe... Upzoning is being proposed around Fordham Station...

Hudson Line - 44,509 (2014) > 57,100 (2025) High Density TOD is in the works for Downtown Yonkers with smaller Infill proposed near the Ludlow , Greystone and Glenwood Stations. Hastings on Hudson , Dobbs Ferry , Irvington , Tarrytown , Ossining , Poughkeepsie and Peeksill have TOD plans which either focus on the Riverfront / Station area or the Downtown Area. Cold Spring , Beacon , and The Bronx Stations have various small infill projects in the works.

Danbury Branch - 3,890 (2014) > 16,200 (2025) High Density TOD is being proposed in Norwalk along with a New station near Wall Street. Small Infill is proposed for the Merritt-7 , Bethel and Danbury. New Stations in Georgetown , North Danbury , Brookfield & New Milford along with infill in those towns will give a ridership boost to the line along with Job growth in Norwalk & Stamford...

New Canaan Branch - 4,160 (2014) > 13,500 (2025) High Density TOD along with a New Station on the Eastern Side of Stamford will cause Ridership to surge on the Branch. Infill and Smaller TOD Projects are planned near the Springdale & Glenbrook Stations...

Port Jervis Line - 3,190 (2014) > 5,800 (2025) , There isn't much underway along this line except some plans being drawn up for the area around the Harrimen & Sloatsburg Stations

Last edited by Nexis; April 23rd, 2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:30 PM   #538
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:34 PM   #539
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Metro-North & LIRR Trains Are Getting An Etiquette Campaign

http://gothamist.com/2015/04/22/metr...ns_are_get.php
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #540
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
NJ Transit turns to Canada for a loan

on April 24, 2015 at 4:35 PM, updated April 24, 2015 at 4:37 PM

NJ Transit is turning to Canada instead of the ailing state Transportation Trust Fund, for a $300 million loan to bridge the gap between paying for work covered by a federal grant and actually receiving the money.

"This would authorize NJ Transit to obtain a line of credit," said Kathleen Sharman NJ Transit Chief Financial Officer. "It would be used to pay for preventative maintenance expenses eligible to be reimbursed by federal funds."
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/...l#incart_river

Last edited by Nexis; April 25th, 2015 at 12:58 AM.