daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #921
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

New Hudson rail tunnel project would dwarf initial plan < read the article here

Quote:
ARC vs. Gateway

Both the current Gateway proposal and the canceled ARC project would put two new sets of tracks under the Hudson River and build a loop that bypasses Secaucus Junction to provide a one-seat ride from North Jersey. Here are some of the key differences:

COST

ARC: $8.9 billion

Gateway: $20 billion

NEW YORK TERMINUS

ARC: New transit hub under West 34th Street between Eighth and Sixth avenues.

Gateway: Expansion of Penn Station one block south between 30th Street and 31st Street.

NEW TRACKS

ARC: Additional tracks between |Secaucus Junction and Manhattan.

Gateway: Additional tracks between Newark Penn Station and Manhattan.

ADDED TO GATEWAY
  • Rehabilitation and rebuilding of existing Hudson tunnels.
  • Replacement of century-old Portal Bridge in Secaucus with twin, two-track, high-level bridges.
  • Replacement and renewal of 105-year-old, two-track rail embankment between Newark and Secaucus. Also, building of two additional rail lines running parallel to the embankment.
  • Replacement of Sawtooth Bridge over |Passaic River, plus expansion of railway line from two to four tracks.
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, phoenixboi08, mrsmartman liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2016, 01:50 PM   #922
Nexis
Dark Wolf

This Station is...Jamaica

Rush Hour at Jamaica Station
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, storms991 liked this post
Old January 15th, 2016, 02:52 AM   #923
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Beginning 2016.01.17, three LIRR stations (Bethpage, Merrick and Wantagh) will lose all connecting public bus service.

Bethpage is currently served by N81 bus.
Merrick is currently served by N51 bus.
Wantagh is served by N73 and 74 buses.

The operator, Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE) is eliminating all of these routes beginning this Sunday.

http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Inf...e-Changes.aspx
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #924
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Taken today 1.14.16

Secaucus JCT Lower Level in the AM Rush hour
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Secaucus JCT Upper Level in the AM Rush hour
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Old January 16th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #925
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

From NEW YORK | 30 Hudson Yards | 387m | 1268ft | 89 fl | U/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
1/15

Where Trains Sleep by Kevin Henao, on Flickr

dimlys1994 liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #926
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Wood-Ridge commuters left waiting for a train station

Hundreds of people have bought homes or moved into apartments in the development called Wesmont Station, on the site of a former Curtiss-Wright *airplane engine factory in Wood-Ridge. Unlike most suburban subdivisions, which are intended for car commuters, Wesmont is built around a new train *station on NJ Transit’s Bergen County Line.

[....]

Now, NJ Transit has moved the date back again. And the agency left the door open for even more delays if construction does not proceed as planned.

“The station is currently projected to be open in spring 2016,” NJ Transit spokes*man Jim Smith said in an email.
Read the Full Article Here

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2016, 01:35 AM   #927
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

The folks who run NJ Transit were born without a brain. Give them some slack!
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 01:40 PM   #928
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Hoboken Terminal viewed from One WTC

Looking West into Hoboken from One WTC
by Corey Best, on Flickr

mrsmartman liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2016, 01:45 PM   #929
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
The folks who run NJ Transit were born without a brain. Give them some slack!
I can't give them slack when they keep raising the fares...
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #930
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some more renderings of the proposed Moynihan Station

Quote:

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, Arnorian liked this post
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #931
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Amtrak Estimates Penn Station and Hudson River Tunnel Projects Will Cost $24B

When Governor Cuomo announced his $3 billion revamp of Penn Station earlier this month, skeptics were quick to point out that all the glassy new structures and reconfiguration of waiting rooms won’t do anything to help the fact that the Hudson River rail tunnels are crumbling. Clearly on the same page, Amtrak announced yesterday a detailed overview of the entire infrastructure project, and it comes in at a whopping $23.9 billion.

According to the Times, “the largest share of about $7.7 billion [will go towards] building the new Hudson tunnel and repairing the existing tunnel. The project includes a host of other elements, including expanding Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan at an estimated cost of $5.9 billion, and replacing rail bridges in New Jersey.”

Known as the Gateway Program, the project includes many improvements in New Jersey, such as a new circulation plan at Penn Station Newark, repairs of several bridges, and an expansion at Secaucus Junction. The most major components are the expansion of New York Penn Station and the Hudson Tunnel Project, which will bring a new two-track tunnel into the station and rebuild the existing, century-old tunnel. The old tubes, built in 1910, couldn’t handle current ridership (which has grown by 155 percent since 1990) even if they were in pristine condition, but since flooding during Hurricane Sandy they’re being eaten away by saltwater residue. Though no start date was given for the project, Amtrak says it will take a decade. They provided a more concrete timeline for adding additional tracks to the south of Penn Station, predicting work could start in 2024 and wrap up in 2030.

Read Full Article Here :

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, Arnorian liked this post
Old January 25th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #932
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old January 25th, 2016, 06:09 AM   #933
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
LIRR Monday Service

On Monday, January, 25 regular weekday service to be provided on Babylon, Ronkonkoma, Pt. Washington and Pt. Jefferson branches as well as in LIRR diesel territory on the Oyster Bay & Pt. Jefferson branches, between Greenport & Ronkonkoma, and Montauk Branch west of Speonk.

Service remains suspended on Far Rockaway, Hempstead, Long Beach & West Hempstead branches, and east of Speonk on Montauk Branch due to Saturday's blizzard.

There will be no service between Jamaica Station & Atlantic Terminal. Take LIRR service to Penn Station where tickets will be cross-honored by NYC Transit on '2' & '3' trains to Brooklyn.
Old January 25th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #934
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some Long Island Railroad Blizzard clean up photos from the MTA

Babylon Yard

LIRR Clean Up From Blizzard
by Metropolitan Transportation Authority of the State of New York, on Flickr

Great Neck Station

Hempstead Station

Hillside

Jamaica Station

Old January 26th, 2016, 03:39 AM   #935
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old January 30th, 2016, 05:23 AM   #936
Nexis
Dark Wolf

ryaboisse liked this post
Old February 1st, 2016, 11:04 AM   #937
Nexis
Dark Wolf

dimlys1994, bodegavendetta liked this post
Old February 3rd, 2016, 01:16 AM   #938
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Metro-North at All-Time High; LIRR, Highest Since 1949, Remains Busiest Regional Railroad in Nation

February 02nd, 2016

LIRR after Belmont Stakes

Ridership is up on the MTA's regional rails. Numbers increased significantly on the Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad in 2015, giving a significant boost to the economic health of the regions they serve. Metro-North reported all-time record ridership of 86.1 million customers, an increase of 1.6% over 2014, while the Long Island Rail Road remained the busiest regional railroad in the nation, carrying 87.6 million customers, a 2.1% increase over the prior year and the railroad’s highest total since 1949.

The LIRR’s total breaks the modern record set in 2008, when the railroad carried 87.4 million customers. Metro-North’s total ridership growth means that it has more than doubled the ridership the railroad carried when it was founded, in 1983.

“When ridership set records back in 2008, many said it was because of high gasoline prices, and that certainly is one factor,” said MTA Chairman and CEO Thomas F. Prendergast. “But gas prices have sunk to low levels and the trend is continuing. We are seeing the confluence a strengthening regional economy, healthier downtowns around the region, a new generation of millennials who values public transportation, and greater productivity on board our trains through the proliferation of smartphones, tablets and laptops. Customers are also responding to improvements we have made, including more frequent trains, improving on-time performance, a fleet of modern new electric cars, expanding availability of real-time information, and more channels for customer communication.”

LIRR and Metro-North ridership is positioned for even further growth in the years ahead because of investments included in the MTA’s 2015-19 Capital Program, funded through a record contribution from the State of New York made by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo. The program will fund the construction of four new Metro-North stations in the Bronx and the expansion of Metro-North’s New Haven Line to Penn Station, a major expansion of the LIRR’s Main Line between Floral Park and Hicksville, enabling significant reverse commuting to Long Island for the first time, and the construction of new LIRR stations in Queens, in Elmhurst and Sunnyside.

The LIRR’s growth was fueled in equal parts by commuters, who increased 2.1% to 50.4 million customers, an increase of 1.04 million riders, and non-commuters, who increased 2.0% to 37.3 million customers in 2015, an increase of 734,000 riders.

“We’re pleased by the growth, but we’re more pleased be able to provide the best service we can provide and to be a valuable, useful service to more people,” said LIRR President Patrick Nowakowski. “Looking toward the future, we’re pleased that we’re poised to increase our value to the region further, and grow ridership accordingly, through increased reverse-peak service that would result years down the road from the Main Line Expansion program that Governor Cuomo announced this month.”

Continuing previous trends, Metro-North’s non-commutation ridership increased faster than its commuters. In 2015, Metro-North non-commutation increased 2.3%, while commutation increased 1.0%. Metro-North broke ridership records on all three of its main lines east of the Hudson River; the prior records had been set in 2008 on the Harlem Line and last year on the New Haven Line and Hudson Line.

“We spent 2015 working hard to improve Metro-North’s safety record, to restore confidence in Metro-North’s safety culture, and to rebuild our tracks,” said Metro-North President Joseph Giulietti. “We’re delighted to see the increase in ridership because we think it indicates that our attention to safety and improved reliability are encouraging more customers to ride the train.”

Ridership west of the Hudson River increased at a faster rate than east of it. On the Port Jervis Line and New York State portion of the Pascack Valley Line, Metro-North expects 2015 ridership will have increased 4.9% over last year, to a combined total of 1.8 million customers. The volume of customers carried on the two lines is just 300,000 shy of the all-time record set in 2008. The Port Jervis Line and Pascack Valley Line are operated by NJ TRANSIT under contract to Metro-North.

Ridership on the three connecting services operated under contract to Metro-North also increased, by 3.8%, to 556,000. Ridership on the Haverstraw-Ossining Ferry rose 7.1%, while ridership on the Newburgh-Beacon Ferry declined by 3.8%. Ridership on the Hudson Rail Link, a bus service in the Bronx that connects to the Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale Stations, rose 4.2%. The ferries are operated by New York Waterway. The Hudson Rail Link bus is operated by Atlantic Hudson, Inc.

New Haven Line service is operated in conjunction with the Connecticut Department of Transportation.
Source :

dimlys1994, bodegavendetta liked this post
Old February 4th, 2016, 02:22 AM   #939
Nexis
Dark Wolf

NJ Transit Nightmare Looms

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old February 5th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #940
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Why there is no direct access to railroad in downtown?
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote