daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #81
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeMo
Old Penn Station the post office wre both designed by McKim, White and Mead. So there is some similiarity. Btw did I misread or is Amtrak staying in the old station?
Amtrak is staying in the old station. Their platforms are set up beneath MSG/Penn Plaza, and they can't afford to shift them down the tracks to be beneath Farley PO/Moynihan Station. Seriously, Amtrak gets nowhere near enough money for proper operations and maintenance, let alone costly, unnecessary platform shifts. Hopefully, the city or state, or maybe federal, will give them a little extra money to fund the shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP
The lower facade of the old Penn Station was absolutely stunning, but that raised section with the three (well, presumably six) arched windows really spoils the whole effect.
I disagree - the "thermine arcade" is a traditional feature of Roman bath architecture. It fits well with the station - the effect is better from street level. Google the Baths of Caracalla or Baths of Diocletian to see what I'm talking about.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #82
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeMo
Old Penn Station the post office wre both designed by McKim, White and Mead. So there is some similiarity. Btw did I misread or is Amtrak staying in the old station?
Amtrak would stay in the old station, and LIRR and NJTransit would move most of their operations to the new station.
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #83
blaxxxbla
Tierra Mestiza

Likes (Received): 41

When is this going to happen, what are they gonna do with the Madison S. G.?, I honestly can't still believe that they destroyed a very nice and historical buildinbg long time ago, to build that horrible proyect that is now on top of the Pennsylvania Station. Anyway, apparenlty that's called progress in action.
blaxxxbla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #84
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaxxxbla
When is this going to happen, what are they gonna do with the Madison S. G.?, I honestly can't still believe that they destroyed a very nice and historical buildinbg long time ago, to build that horrible proyect that is now on top of the Pennsylvania Station. Anyway, apparenlty that's called progress in action.
What they're doing is expaning Penn Station across the street, to what is currently the Farley Post Office Building. The new station will be built into this building (constructed in 1912 and designed by McKim, Mead and White - the same firm that designed the original Penn Station). This station will supplement the current Penn Station - Long Island Railroad and NJTransit will move into the new station, while Amtrak will stay in the old one.
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #85
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

And I assume that once MSG is moved there will be an updated penn station to replace the current one. So, you will have two new stations, beautiful..
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #86
another_viet
another_viet

Likes (Received): 5

i was just in penn station last week

IT LOOKED HORRIBLE, OLD, DISGUSTING..

cool so now they have a new terminal and

i guess they are renovating the old one under MSG right?
another_viet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #87
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue
And I assume that once MSG is moved there will be an updated penn station to replace the current one. So, you will have two new stations, beautiful..
Underground, I'd assume the existing Penn Station will get a facelift to tie it in with the new structure across the street. But i remember reading that MSG IV will be replaced with a skyscraper, so I don't think there will be any above-ground structure where the current Penn is.

Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #88
TopperCity

Awesome looking atrium!
TopperCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:55 PM   #89
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18189

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:59 PM   #90
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2090

Quote:
(you can notice the shine in 1st photo caused by the album plastic)
I thought they were clouds...

I visited NYC back in June 2000. Amazing city - my first drop-off at Manhattan Island happened to be GCT, where my shuttle-bus from the airport arrived.
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:55 PM   #91
Poryaa

Likes (Received): 0

Grand Central Terminal is used by highly paid American workers every morning. Metro North Railroad is the high-end railroad in the US and Scarsdale has the highest standard of living in the US.
Poryaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM   #92
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Beautiful pictures! I love that building, it reminds me so much of a grander Union Station.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 06:10 PM   #93
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1564

Any pics of the platform area?
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM   #94
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Definetely one of the best stations worldwide

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:28 PM   #95
kub86
Twinkie

Fantastic.

How many people use it daily? How many trains depart/arrive?
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:48 PM   #96
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 203

ize
Covers 49 acres (20 ha) of land, 33 miles (53 km) of track, 44 platforms
Trains
660 Metro-North commuter trains
Commuters
About 125,000 a day
Visitors
575,000 a day [excludes commuters]
Cost of renovation 1996–98
250 million dollars
Retail Businesses
Oldest Business
Oyster Bar, opened 1913
Meals served in terminal daily
Percentage of trains on time
Items in lost and found
Most frequently lost item
Coats [up to 2,000 a year]
Return Rate
Over 60%, close to 98% for computers and iPods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Terminal

The main hall is fantastic. I love it. Have you got pics from the platforms??

Last edited by Castle_Bravo; July 23rd, 2006 at 11:55 PM.
Castle_Bravo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #97
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poryaa
Grand Central Terminal is used by highly paid American workers every morning. Metro North Railroad is the high-end railroad in the US and Scarsdale has the highest standard of living in the US.
I wouldn't agree that the Metro north is that high end, some of the trains are actually pretty filthy.

however wealthy the riders are depends on which zone they're commuting from. I can remember a few years ago there were more reverse commuters coming from manhattan and the bronx on the blue line (Harlem) than going in...but now I think there equal in terms of direction
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #98
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18189

New York Commuter Railroad to Reduce Platform Gaps

Gap between train/platform to be reduced at 8 New York stations
By VERENA DOBNIK
18 October 2006

NEW YORK (AP) - "Watch the gap."

Those are the buzz words that greet more than 280,000 commuters using the Long Island Rail Road each day -- part of a visible Metropolitan Transportation Authority effort to keep riders from hurting or even killing themselves by stepping into the space between a platform and a train.

On Wednesday, officials of North America's largest commuter railroad announced that the LIRR will reduce the gap at eight stations, including the Shea Stadium stop in Queens.

The death in early August of an 18-year-old Minnesota tourist, who slipped through an almost foot-wide gap at Queens' Woodside station and was struck by a train, has "expedited" MTA efforts to step up safety measures, Raymond Kenny, the LIRR's acting president, said after a committee meeting Wednesday at the MTA's Manhattan headquarters. The LIRR is a division of the state MTA.

"We're asking the question, 'Is it enough?'" said Kenny.

At the Shea Stadium station, where the gap measured 11 inches, the tracks already have been moved as much as 4.5 inches toward the platform, LIRR spokeswoman Susan McGowan said. Similar changes will be made at the Jamaica, Deer Park, Hicksville, Huntington, Merillon Avenue, Mineola and New Hyde Park stations.

"These aren't necessarily the worst locations, but they're ones that in our measuring we have found to be out of compliance," McGowan said.

At some of the LIRR's 124 stations, stretching from Manhattan to Montauk, the railroad is unable to meet its standards for the size of the gap -- no more than seven to eight inches -- because of the curvature of the platform. Those gaps are as wide as 15 inches.

Officials at Wednesday's meeting presented various other measures aimed at preventing mishaps.

Signage has been increased and improved to warn passengers, and the MTA also is bolstering train and station announcements to increase riders' awareness.

Still, the measures do not prevent about 60 gap-related incidents each year.

The worst was the death of Natalie Smead, of Northfield, Minn. -- killed after slipping through a gap and getting hit by a train as she was trying to crawl out. Both the National Transportation Safety Board and the New York State Public Transportation Safety Board are conducting investigations into her death.

Last month, former state Sen. Carol Berman broke her ankle and hurt her ribs when she stepped off a train at the Lawrence station in Queens, straight into the gap. A preliminary MTA probe indicated that sun glare blinded Berman as she left the train, leading to the fall.

And two years ago, former Broadway dancer Shelly Rann broke her neck and was left paralyzed after falling through at the Forest Hills station in Queens.

The gap problem also faces commuters taking the Metro-North Rail Road to the city's northern suburbs. Warning signs and announcements serve as the basic safety measures at those stops.

The LIRR Commuters Campaign, which represents riders, said it was about time the LIRR made some changes.

"We're a little dismayed and surprised that the LIRR, after all this time, still has a standard larger than Metro-North and more than twice (Americans with Disabilities Act) standards," campaign president Peter Haynes said. "But we're pleased they're going to take some corrective measures at some stations."

The Americans with Disabilities Act mandates that new platform work must have a gap no larger than 3 inches, Haynes said.

In the city's subways, physical adjustments have been made at stations including Times Square and Union Station. The South Ferry station in lower Manhattan uses "gap plates" -- devices that electronically extend temporary plates from the platform to train doors.

In Times Square, passengers using the "shuttle" train to Grand Central Terminal must step over the gap, but a metal strip just underneath catches any misstep. A big red "Watch your step" sign also warns of a "wide gap between car and platform edge.

"I'm concerned about these gaps," said Susan Hannah, a Manhattan resident. "But to a certain point, people have to pay attention and take their own precautions. Government can't do everything for us."

------

On the Net:

MTA: http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #99
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

They should have already done something about the people who fall or get pushed in front of those trains. For instance the young girl who fell in front of the Metro North train at the Fordham station (this was only a few months ago). There are so many people, so many people all the time at that station and there were no witnesses I don't buy that, shit the MTA even has cameras at some of these stations shooting the platforms, I wonder if they ever review any of that footage.
Old October 19th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #100
DonQui
BANNED

I agree!

How was it possible that it was cosindered OK to have such huge gaping gaps?

DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote