daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #1141
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
Does anyone have any information on this renovation (?) I saw the other day at 34th St/Penn Station (pics below)?? Any renderings? Will it just be these few platforms? Seems like it was for LIRR trains.
I think that's the new [West] concourse that's part of Moynihan Phase I, right?

streetscapeer liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #1142
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Sure seems like it

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #1143
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 26164

Thanks it indeed looks like the new West End Concourse as part of Phase 1... Is there any timeline of when it's supposed to finish? I checked online but couldn't find anything.
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #1144
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
Thanks it indeed looks like the new West End Concourse as part of Phase 1... Is there any timeline of when it's supposed to finish? I checked online but couldn't find anything.
In the fall, apparently.

streetscapeer liked this post
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:31 AM   #1145
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Arriving at Forest Hills

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #1146
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some retouched Regional rail photos

dimlys1994, mrsmartman, lsg97 liked this post
Old September 27th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #1147
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Governor Cuomo unveils plans for Penn Station's massive revamp

Quote:
Brace yourselves, New Yorkers: a new Penn Station is officially coming—for real this time. Today, Governor Andrew Cuomo unveiled plans for the forthcoming Pennsylvania Station-Farley Complex, along with announcing the developers and builders who will collaborate on the project. The plans call for a brand new, 255,000-square-foot train hall, which will accommodate both Amtrak and Long Island Rail Road passengers, that’s scheduled to be completed by the end of 2020. (Yes, you read that date right.)

...Unsurprisingly, the partnership is made up of some of the real estate business's biggest names: Related Companies, Vornado Realty, and Skanska. Those three companies will work together, using the designs proposed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, to bring the revamped Penn Station to life.

Three Major Takeaways:

1. The James A. Farley Post Office building has been "reimagined from the original plan," which had called for the building to hold only Amtrak. Now, it will measure 250,000 square feet (larger than Grand Central Terminal), and will be known as the Moynihan Train Hall. It will hold Amtrak and the LIRR, along with 700,000 square feet of retail and office space. The design is similar to the renderings, created by SOM, that were revealed in January, with a dramatic glass skylight (meant to reference McKim, Mead & White's old Penn Station) arching over the concourse.

2. The LIRR concourses that currently sit within Penn Station will be redeveloped, and headed up by the MTA. This will include "nearly tripling the width of the 33rd Street Corridor, which is among the busiest sections of Penn Station and stretches along the station’s lower level from Seventh to Eighth Avenue." An RFP will be issued for this work today, and a contractor may be chosen before the end of the year.

3. Both subway stations that service Penn Station—the A/C/E at Eighth Avenue and the 1/2/3 at Seventh Avenue—will be completely redone in keeping with the MTA’s plans, announced earlier this year, to upgrade 31 stations throughout the entire system.

LIRR Concourse Renderings:

Old September 29th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #1148
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5777

This is what, the seventh time in the past decade or so that they've announced this and released renderings?

Can someone tell me what's different this time?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #1149
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
This is what, the seventh time in the past decade or so that they've announced this and released renderings?

Can someone tell me what's different this time?
They have financing and funding, a consortium (PPP), and support of the governor.

mrsmartman liked this post
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #1150
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5777

Quote:
A spokeswoman for NJ Transit said train No. 1614 crashed into the Hoboken train station around 8:45 a.m. It left Spring Valley, N.Y. at 7:23 a.m.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...n_station.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2811435

https://twitter.com/daverichman/stat...79616817074176

The crash at Hoboken Terminal may be the deadliest in the history of NJ Transit. On Feb 9, 1996, 3 people (2 engineers and a passenger) were killed in a collision in Jersey City, NJ.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/10/ny...ew-jersey.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #1151
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

When again is PTC supposed to be implemented on the NJT? This is so sad!
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 06:18 AM   #1152
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old September 30th, 2016, 06:29 AM   #1153
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4190

Thankfully the crash only resulted in one death, a woman from Hoboken who was hit by debris while standing on the platform. 108 were injured on the train as many were standing in the aisles preparing to leave the train at the last stop, a very common practice. 8:45 AM is practically the peak of the morning rush-hour, so it could have been far worse!

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/29/major...rted-wnbc.html

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #1154
streetscapeer
hmmm......

In addition to the new Farley/Moynihan expansion for Penn Station....

Here is a new proposal set forth by the Practice for Architecture and Urbanism to transform/repurpose the existing Madison Square Garden into a grand new train hall for Penn Station

I encourage you to read the NYTimes article as well with more interactive graphics

Original subway entrances and staircases can remain

Quote:
Its passive heat and cooling system would lower operating costs and let smoke escape through the top in an emergency. Independent cost consultants estimated the price tag to be around $1.5 billion.

...But equally important, “recycling” what’s there allows for the building of an ambitious new station at minimal cost and disruption. We could restore a gateway to New York with a scale consistent with other great public spaces in the city.

...The Garden, which is getting old and has problems of its own, has compelling reasons to move. Given fair incentives, its owners, who have shown themselves to be reasonable and civic-minded, could be willing to move the arena 800 feet to the west end of the Farley Building, where there is over one million square feet of underutilized space

...We would take off its unsightly concrete cladding, demolish the interior, rebuild the mezzanines and vertical circulation to the platforms below, and remove many of the support columns on the train platforms that passengers have to dodge today. The concrete cladding would be replaced by a “double skin,” a blastproof glass facade that would allow in light and views while enabling passive heating and cooling.

...We propose that the ceiling, which is the roof of the existing arena, feature a map of New York to orient travelers, a contemporary update of the stars on the ceiling of Grand Central.

dimlys1994, Swede liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 01:18 AM   #1155
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Hudson Line at Ossining

mrsmartman, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #1156
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4190

An LIRR train derailed and hit a work train at around 9 PM. The news stories are not too clear about whether the train derailed and side-swiped the work train or if it ran into the work train as only the first three cars of the 12-car train derailed. 11 people received minor injuries that required attention, and about 50 had very minor bumps and scrapes, which makes it seem like a very minor collision.

http://abc7ny.com/news/lirr-service-...-park/1546345/

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 08:42 AM   #1157
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old October 9th, 2016, 02:18 PM   #1158
The Polman

Likes (Received): 801

This again unveils that the situation of rail safety systems in the region is not what it should be. Normally, at least at this side of the ocean, the track on which a work train is active, is blocked and the signal red unless speeds are low (e.g. <40kph/<25mph), and nowadays even this exception should be able to be avoided. I'm not an expert on signals in the USA but even when systems are not even that old, either the newest technologies or updated systems could have prevented both crashes.
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #1159
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Question: will this proposal for the "new" Penn Station allow the retaining of Madison Square Garden itself? They just spent US$1 billion on modernizing the building just a few years ago.

sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #1160
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
Question: will this proposal for the "new" Penn Station allow the retaining of Madison Square Garden itself? They just spent US$1 billion on modernizing the building just a few years ago.
The main proposal currently put forth from the governor's office calls for the arena to remain where it is.

The proposal posted just above calls for retaining the roof and support structure, but gutting the interior entirely.

Other proposals put forth call for demolishing the building entirely.

Even with the recent investment in it, the current MSG has very serious issues. The structure itself is worn out, and it is not capable of handling modern functions very well. Major events like concerts put significant strain on the building's handling systems and the streets around it due to the large amount of equipment involved. Site lines are sub-optimal, and the building is not attractive.

The overhaul was a misguided attempt at a stopgap. The owners recognize that the building is inadequate, but they also realize that any replacement will be beyond anything that they can finance on their own. That is why they applied to have their license renewed indefinitely.

sweet-d liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote