daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #1221
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
The Ringling Brothers train IS the circus train.

There's only one circus there, dude.
You must be fun at parties...
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:48 AM   #1222
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

People do tell me that my macarena is quite impressive. However, I am personally much more proud of my ability to differentiate the types of MUs used by the various railroads around NYC in the 1920s.

mrsmartman, Tower Dude, nylkoorB, Jo liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #1223
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
People do tell me that my macarena is quite impressive. However, I am personally much more proud of my ability to differentiate the types of MUs used by the various railroads around NYC in the 1920s.
So have a cookie then
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #1224
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

mmmm....

Actually, I think I'll wait for desert.

What kind of refreshments did they serve on the bar cars when they were running on the New Haven Line?

Also, what do they serve in the Hamptons Reserve seats on the LIRR Cannonball?

I don't suppose that there is any talk of having new refreshment services on NJ Transit, LIRR, or Metro-North in New York? SMART in the Bay Area is including refreshment stands on its DMUs.

nylkoorB liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:53 PM   #1225
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5772

Jägerbombs on Hamptons Reserve. Not sure if the other railroads will introduce bar cars.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 04:27 AM   #1226
GojiMet86

Likes (Received): 440

LIRR seeks to lease 8-21 MARC coaches for next 3 years

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/p..._0930_LIRR.pdf

Quote:
1. Maryland Transit Administration $4,159,700 Staff Summary Attached
Non-Competitive Lease Agreement
Contract No. TBD

LIRR seeks board approval to award a non-competitive Inter-Governmental lease agreement with Maryland Transit Administration (MTA), a modal division of the Maryland Department of Transportation, for the lease of between 8-21 passenger coach cars in the Not to Exceed amount of $ 4,159,700 covering a three year term (one year base plus two one-year options). These cars will be put into service during the summer months, in order to increase overall seating capacity on the Montauk branch.

LIRR seeks board approval to award a non-competitive Inter-Governmental lease agreement with Maryland Transit
Administration ("Maryland-TA"), a modal division of the Maryland Department of Transportation, for the lease of
between 8-2 l passenger coach cars in the Not to Exceed amount of $ 4, 159, 700 covering a three year term (one year
base plus two one-year options). These cars will be put into service during the summer months, in order to increase
overall seating capacity on the Montauk branch.
Pursuant to an extensive direct outreach of regional commuter railroads, LIRR located this equipment , performed
inspection and testing, and determined it to be compliant with FRA 49 CFR, operational and in good condition, having
come off of lease to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority ("SEPT A") earlier this year. Due to the
compatibility of this equipment with LIRR's infrastructure, only minor wiring adjustments (i.e. modifications to the
speed settings, boards and components) will be required in order to run with Diesel Electric ("DE")/Dual Mode ("OM")
locomotives. LIRR plans to modify cab cars to operate on the head end, adding 8 cars to service in the first year and
increasing the number of cars to be leased to a maximum of twenty one in option years 2018 and 2019. MTA will
provide training to LIRR train operators, maintenance personnel as well as to a LIRR Trainer in order to ensure proper
operation, maintenance and troubleshooting practices are followed and ordinary repairs are performed responsibly.
Under the agreement, LIRR is responsible for all routine repairs and maintenance, in accordance with the original
equipment manufacturer's standards, including normal running repairs. LIRR will order any required specialized parts
from Maryland-TA and MTA will transport and invoice LIRR for the cost of parts at the end of the term.
Leasing this equipment is cost effective as it enables LIRR to meet the demand of its seasonal customers, while avoiding
long term fleet investments under current budgetary constraints. Leasing also affords LIRR time to re-assess long term
fleet needs, deferring to such time that the diesel fleet is ready for replacement, and until such time that other initiatives
impacting future capacity (ESA, Main Line Second Track and Main Line Expansion and ) are implemented.
MT A's lease price of $15,570 per car per month, is fair and reasonable based on their certification that they are offering
their "Most Favored Customer" rate and the same rate charged to SEPTA and AMTRAK earlier this year. Option years
reflect a 0% escalation factor. Also included in this request is $1,000/month per car for spare parts, which will be
provided on an as-needed basis by Maryland-TA. Maryland-TA will invoice parts to LIRR at their cost plus shipping and
handling and no further mark-ups, which is also fair and reasonable.
This lease agreement is exempt from MBE/WBE goals as there are no opportunities to subcontract work out.
This work will be reimbursed from LIRR's Operating budget.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyp...xy9DssTDb75Luw

and my Flickr at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

dimlys1994 liked this post
GojiMet86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 06:12 AM   #1227
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by GojiMet86 View Post
so they seem to be holding off on full replacement until the next CP.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:18 PM   #1228
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

The pros and cons of privatizing Penn Station, explained

Quote:
Who can do a better job running New York's cramped, confusing and congested Penn Station? A private company, a consortium between two commuter railroads and Amtrak, or just Amtrak?

The current relationship must change, in which Penn Station's landlord, Amtrak, owned by the federal government, makes major decisions even though it runs fewer trains than tenants NJ Transit and the Long Island Rail Road, experts and public officials said.

"We're stuck with something set up with poor foresight in 1976," said Martin Robins, director emeritus of the Voorhees Transportation Institute at Rutgers University. "We have been living with the results and commuters have been suffering for more than 40 years."

Read More: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/...explained.html

mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:53 PM   #1229
mrsmartman

THE PARK AVENUE IMPROVEMENT IN NEW YORK CITY.

This Article and 2 Illustrations come from a time when The Bronx, NY was not consolidated into the City of New York.
Mott Haven lies in The Bronx but was known then as part of the Annexed District.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN — April 28, 1894
The Grand Central Depot, at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Forty-second Street, in this city, is the main railway terminus on Manhattan Island, it is reached by four tracks on the line of Fourth Avenue, running south from the Harlem River, The tracks start from the street level at the Grand Central Depot, the entire region about the depot being given up to the track yard, round-houses and other structures appertaining to the railroad service. A few blocks above Forty-second Street the streets crossing Fourth Avenue are provided with bridges, but for a space of several blocks Fourth Avenue cannot be crossed. At about Forty-ninth Street the tracks begin to be depressed, and up to Ninety-eighth Street they run virtually in a tunnel, over two miles long. This leaves the street above unencumbered. The avenue is 140 feet wide, and through its center and above the tunnel are a series of little parks, whence the name of Park Avenue has been given to it. Trains passing through the tunnel have an unobstructed track and do not reach the ground level until they get to Ninety-eighth Street, Here the street grade falls rapidly and the car tracks are carried on an elevated viaduct of stone and earth filling. At 106th Street the work of the Park Avenue Improvement Commission begins. It consists in making connections to and in building a four-track elevated steel viaduct from 110th Street to Mott Haven, where the tracks gradually run down to the depressed road in the annexed district. The general aspect of the finished structure is shown in Fig. 3...
Read More: http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/nycrr01.Html

Old May 28th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #1230
mrsmartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K
A 3-Part Plan to Rebuild New York's Old Penn Station

May 4th, 2015

By ERIC JAFFE

Read More: http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/...tation/392261/

Source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216940

Old May 30th, 2017, 04:45 AM   #1231
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4190

I personally love the idea of rebuilding the Grand Concourse of Penn Station. The best project would have the main glass concourse and the facade in the historic style with modern shopping and ticketing areas in the rest, kind of like how Europe's grand stations have been renovated, except that this is a complete ground-up project. Hopefully after Moynihan Station gives a new alternative entrance, a larger scale rebuilding of the main station will be possible without having to worry as much passenger access.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

mrsmartman, nylkoorB liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 09:17 AM   #1232
mrsmartman

We should be aware that Farley Post Office was not designed to be a train station.
Old June 6th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #1233
LTA1992

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
We should be aware that Farley Post Office was not designed to be a train station.
That's what modifications are for.
LTA1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #1234
mrsmartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
That's what modifications are for.
Farley Post Office is not grand enough compared to the original Pennsylvania Station.
Old June 8th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #1235
mrsmartman

Could New York's Pennsylvania Station actually get rebuilt the way it was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger
I usually dislike reproductions and reconstructions, and believe that one can mix new and old. But Penn Station is a different case; it is righting a wrong, giving us back something that should never have been taken away. I wonder what Ada Louise Huxtable would have thought. What do you think?

Read More: https://www.treehugger.com/green-arc...ay-it-was.html

Old June 8th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #1236
mrsmartman

Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:35 PM   #1237
mrsmartman

Old June 24th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #1238
LTA1992

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
Farley Post Office is not grand enough compared to the original Pennsylvania Station.
Who cares? Your comment had nothing to do with that. Besides, space is at a premium and with costs as bloated as they are (though as I learn more about money, I've found that the inflation is artificial), something that does not involve unnecessary demolition is needed.
LTA1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 06:04 AM   #1239
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
Who cares? Your comment had nothing to do with that. Besides, space is at a premium and with costs as bloated as they are (though as I learn more about money, I've found that the inflation is artificial), something that does not involve unnecessary demolition is needed.
I take it you are a fan of The Vishaan Chakrabarti Plan?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #1240
mrsmartman

Penn Station's West End Concourse finally opens to the public
It marks the first phase of the transformation of the James A. Farley Post Office building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed
Following a few delays, Penn Station’s West End Concourse has finally opened to the public, NY1 has learned. Part of the overall revamp of the much-reviled station, the West End Concourse connects the James A. Farley Post Office Building to Penn Station, underground...

Read More: https://ny.curbed.com/2017/6/15/1580...se-post-office