daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2004, 11:46 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18209

HONG KONG | Peak Tram

The Peak Tram is a funicular railway running along the slopes of Hong Kong Island from downtown to Victoria Peak. It has been in operation since 1888 and serves both commuters and tourists alike.

The downtown terminus is located underneath this silver skyscraper in the Midlevels area :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:35 AM   #2
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Very interesting. This is the third threads on "Funicular Railways" in a week. First it was Lyon, France then Haifa, Israel and now Hong Kong. Very interesting. I had never even heard the word funicular used before now. I think in the States we call them incline railways.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #3
hkskyline
Hong Kong

This is what the old trams looked like before the red ones replaced them :
Source : http://www.pbase.com/anubis_photo/ho...__80s&page=all

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 13th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Peak Tower Terminus

Old January 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

A ride on New Year's by GUIA :

Old June 26th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Heavy rain brings chaos to villagers and tourists
Amy Ling and Clifford Lo
22 June 2005
South China Morning Post

Yesterday's late-morning downpour brought flooding to many parts of the city. In Mid-Levels, a skidding truck dislodged rocks that blocked the Peak Tram line for most of the afternoon.

The worst flooding was in Sai Kung, where homes in Nam Wai village were 30cm deep in water. But residents took the deluge in their stride - firemen were not called upon to help.

Four other areas were reported to be flooded in the district, where the observatory recorded 61mm of rain between 11.45am and 12.45pm, the Drainage Services Department said.

A further nine incidents of flooding were reported elsewhere, mostly in Kowloon.

Peak Tram services were halted for five hours after a truck driver lost control of his vehicle and rammed a concrete embankment in May Road at 11am, littering the track with debris.

The suspension left a number of disappointed tourists, including a family of four who were visiting from Romania.

"I won't take the bus to get to the Peak because the Peak Tram ride is the real fun," the father said, vowing to return today to go on the tram.

Several other traffic accidents occurred while the amber rainstorm warning was in place between 9.10am and 2.40pm.

Drainage Services Department spokesman Robin Lee Kui-biu said most of the flooding was caused by blocked drains.

Staff had been sent to clear the blockages he said.

The observatory said an active southwesterly monsoon had brought unsettled weather to southern China.

More rainfall was expected today, occasionally heavy with squally thunderstorms, according to forecasters.

Old February 24th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #7
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Hong Kong Peak Tram

The Peak Tram is among the most known public transportations in the city especially for tourists going to the Peak. The tram starts in Central in Garden Rd. and ends up in The Peak Tower. The trip provides some of the most scene views of Hong Kong.

The tram is actually a fernicular railway with a track that is 1,365 meters long. The travel itself takes around seven minutes. There are also several stations in Mid-Levels where the trams stops and these are

* Cotton Tree Drive Terminal (St. John's Building)
* Kennedy Road
* Macdonnell Road
* May Road
* Barker Road
* Peak Terminal

The Peak Tram opened it's services in 1888. The original tram first used steam engine and was later replaced with an electric motor in 1926. Today, the tram is computer controlled and has a system check on safety devices.

The Peak Tram (from the HK Railway Society)

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; February 24th, 2006 at 06:26 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

We already have such a thread in this section : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=149718
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #9
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

ok I just don't see it and I've been too lazy to search!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #10
dchengg
davidchengg

Likes (Received): 2

took it this summer~~
dchengg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #11
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asi...ong/Hong_Kong/

Old February 26th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #12
Kai Tak
BANNED

I love the peak tram! That was one of the highlights of my trip to HK a couple years ago! I love that city...
Kai Tak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #13
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I've been there! Pretty cool.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #14
dchengg
davidchengg

i was on it, and it was pretty steep~~
dchengg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #15
Terrence
100% made in Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 0

cool as usual.
Terrence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #16
Il_Milanese

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
I had never even heard the word funicular used before now. I think in the States we call them incline railways.
Interesting;I've heard the word "incline railway" before, but I thought you used both words in the US.
We in Italy also call that "funicolare", there are a little here too...too bad they are all too far from me and I cannot post pictures, but if I ride them I'll show you.
Ciao
Il_Milanese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #17
hokomoko

Likes (Received): 86

Very nice indeed it would be great to ride this into the green ocean..
hokomoko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 02:41 AM   #18
hkskyline
Hong Kong

山頂纜車10.1加價
23/09/2006

【本報訊】山頂凌霄閣以億元翻新後,山頂纜車在十月一日起加價,加幅由一成至六成六不等,成人單程車費由二十元加至二十二元、雙程由三十元加至三十三元。山頂廣場停車場時租亦已由二十五元大幅加至四十元,加幅高達六成。中西區區議員批評,加價會打擊剛復甦的旅遊業,打擊遊客上山頂意欲,建議區議會討論此問題。

停車場加價六成
山頂纜車車費加幅由一成至六成六不等,小童和長者新價同為單程八元,雙程十五元,小童現價為單程六元、雙程九元,長者現價為單程七元、雙程十四元。成人月票則由四百元加至四百六十元。山頂纜車早前曾表示由於經營成本上升,有需要加價。山頂纜車對上一次加價在二○○○年,當時加幅約為一成。

至於隆經營的山頂廣場,停車場亦在九月十五日起加價,時租由二十五元加至四十元,加幅達六成。山頂廣場顧客呂先生每月都有數次和太太到來吃晚飯,他昨晚到山頂廣場泊車時,始發現泊車費增加,他指加幅驚人,日後會減少上山頂吃飯,甚至不再上來。

Old June 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #19
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Long may trams have a place in HK
31 May 2008
South China Morning Post

Perhaps even more than the Star Ferry, the Peak Tram has a special place in our collective memory. Long the exclusive neighbourhood of the rich, The Peak has, nevertheless, been accessible to all, thanks to the tram.

From the hustle and bustle of Central, people can just hop on the tram and take a steep ride through the flora and luxury residences up the hill. With pressure slowly building on the ear drums, all of a sudden an extraordinary vista opens up, revealing the city and Victoria Harbour in full glory. The ride remains a must-have experience for tourists, and the view it offers is the iconic image of Hong Kong around the world.

It is, therefore, not surprising that thousands of people were willing to wait up to seven hours yesterday to take a ride down memory lane. Yesterday, Hong Kong's first rail system celebrated its 120th anniversary. It was not just that the ride was reduced to 30 cents, the original price when the tramway opened at the end of May in 1888. People were making the trip, many with their whole families, to celebrate an act of remembrance. For a city that is in danger of losing many of its heritage sites, the tram holds a special significance. The Star Ferry, for example, is no longer the same now that it has been relocated and its clock tower taken down.

Like Hong Kong, the Peak Tram has gone through many changes. The first tramway ran on steam, but switched to electricity in 1926 and was modernised in 1989. Today, the automated system is run by computer, as befits our modern city. But from the first, it was a success. Its very popularity led Hong Kong to take the plunge and build tram tracks running east to west along Hong Kong Island. The first electric tram went into service in July 1904 and the system remains a key part of our public transport system.

The original trams have been replaced and revamped, but those in use still resemble the originals. Locals use it for its cheap fares and efficiency, and visitors are enamoured of it. But without the success of the Peak Tram, this century-old system might not have existed. Let us hope that these trams will run for as long as there is this special place called Hong Kong.

Old June 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #20
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Cheers to the Peak Tram

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Long may trams have a place in HK
The original trams have been replaced and revamped, but those in use still resemble the originals. Locals use it for its cheap fares and efficiency, and visitors are enamoured of it. But without the success of the Peak Tram, this century-old system might not have existed. Let us hope that these trams will run for as long as there is this special place called Hong Kong.
Hear, Hear!

Cheers to the Peak Tram

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote