daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #721
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

very good Tommolo.....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #722
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3601

Thank you so much Highcliff!

Here you are one of the biggest basilicas in Milan, this is XVI century's Santa Maria della Passione:

the gorgeous mannerist tiburium and dome, in a Luigi Petrazzoli image.

and the interior elliptical window where light enters the long nave, mystical light...
in a Simon Monroe picture.

All images taken by Panoramio.

Highcliff liked this post
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #723
tommolo

This one is called Abbey but it is not actually an abbey...it's Santa Maria la Rossa in Crescenzago...in the outskirts, a little town along the naviglio Martesana, surrounded by modern blocks, mantaining anyway its peculiarity.
The abbey was completed in the year 1140, here you are, all pictures are taken by wikipedia commons. The nave:

the original romanesque apsis fresco:

the choir is said to belong to a previous chapel from year 935 a.C.

Old August 31st, 2013, 01:17 PM   #724
tommolo

Tomorrow is the day of the abbey in southern Milan, an area where you can find really lots of abbey from the year 1000: Chiaravalle, Viboldone, San Lorenzo in Monluč, Morimondo, Santa Maria in Calvenzano and San Pietro in Gessate are an unique system of abbey with a monumental density simply unthinkable anywhere else. The system awaits an UNESCO world heritage site nomination. To celebrate the richness of southern Milanese abbey system, here you are the gorgeous Santa Maria in Calvenzano:

the magnificent romanesque portal:

Highcliff, TimothyR liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:55 PM   #725
tommolo

Sant'Antonio da Padova basilica (also a sanctuary).
Images by Pufui Pc Pifpef I

images by Giovanni dell'Orto:

Highcliff, TimothyR liked this post
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #726
tommolo

Another early XX century ecleptic style church...this one is very original I think: San Gregorio, in the elegant Porta Venezia district.

the exterior:

the interiors:

(images taken from the website www.emmetisistemi.it)

The next pictures are all mine taken today:

TimothyR, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #727
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2088

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolo View Post
Tomorrow is the day of the abbey in southern Milan, an area where you can find really lots of abbey from the year 1000: Chiaravalle, Viboldone, San Lorenzo in Monluč, Morimondo, Santa Maria in Calvenzano and San Pietro in Gessate are an unique system of abbey with a monumental density simply unthinkable anywhere else. The system awaits an UNESCO world heritage site nomination. To celebrate the richness of southern Milanese abbey system, here you are the gorgeous Santa Maria in Calvenzano:
Oh God. I will not repost all of the pictures - I love them all. I love this. I love this.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #728
tommolo

Thank you! Yes is very sweet...I guess it's their ancient atmosphere that bring in some sweetnes...an added value beyond their artistical and historical importance. In early times the light element was crucial to demonstrate he presence of the divine...the lights used to be filtrated through small windows, but their effects were very studied...light effects were the spectacular element of its solid ethernal romanesque horizontal structures...solid walls and metaphysical interiors...strong are the walls and the gates to access the heavens...only really good men can access it...
Anyway lights were also "created" when the style evolved, and we can assist to the amazing season of the baroque, that left many churches in Milan, even if Milanese "barocchetto" has always been less theatrical and more sober and minimalist than other baroque variations. One of the most "classical" italianate baroque interior church in Milan is anyway the San Francesco da Paola church, in via Manzoni, one of the most elegant fashon streets in central Milan.
Here you are:

Pod°, TimothyR, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #729
tommolo

Here you are some images I took about an ancient Abbey from the XIII century, with many many frescoes by the school of Giotto, the great painter. I think I can affirm that in some part you can really see part of the hand of the Master itself...the emotions in visiting such a magic complex so well preserved, an ancient town in the amidst of the Parco Sud Milano agricultural park...well, it just one of my preferred spot in the city. Just so soul inspiring. Really beautiful even if you don't think about the Giottoesque medieval gothic frescoes...
So this is Viboldone Abbey, in the parco sud/parco valle del ticino route of abbeys:

images by my instagram:

Pod°, TimothyR, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #730
tommolo

Now it's time to show you one of my favourite early XX century church.
This is the largest basilica in Milan built in stile Liberty/art nouveau style, and it's gorgeous to me, I hope you like it too! it stands very close to the neoclassical Arco della Pace built by Napoleon, but it just does not receive the touristical attention it would deserve. Another very big stile Liberty/art nouveau church is the near Santa Maria di Lourdes church, more ecleptical but with very nice frescoes on the inside too!
Let me show you the monumental Basilica del Corpus Domini:

all pictures are mine.

Old September 17th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #731
tommolo

A small video by Milanodavedere about the church of San Fedele, a mannerist jewel from XVII century very well preserved. In this church you'll only find elegance and a metaphysical, bright light. The best time to visit this church is around 11.30 a.m and 15.30 p.m., where light shines in its white marbles. It is considered an example of counter reformation church architecture, as it was built by saint Charles Borromeo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IOzR5mznpg

a detail of the late XVI century wooden scuptured confessionals:

image by wikipedia

The view from the entrance, focus on the sweetness of the white/pink stone of Angera:

isn't this a bright church? The architect is Pellegrino Tibaldi.

(image from Luigi Petrazzoli)

Last edited by tommolo; September 17th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #732
tommolo

Santa Maria alla Porta church, the original church was already present in the XII century. This one it's from 1652, and it present an early baroque facade by the Richini and some elements from the great architect Borromini. The Santa Maria alla Porta (st. Mary of the Gate) refers to the fact that in this area in imperial Roman era there was a city gate. The church stand very next to some of the best preserved roman ruins of Milan, the imperial palace and the archeological museum with its two roman towers.

TimothyR, Pod°, Highcliff liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:59 AM   #733
tommolo

Sant'Ambrogio basilica, by Panoramio user Pierantoni:

Old September 24th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #734
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Thank you! Yes is very sweet...I guess it's their ancient atmosphere that bring in some sweetnes...an added value beyond their artistical and historical importance. In early times the light element was crucial to demonstrate he presence of the divine...the lights used to be filtrated through small windows, but their effects were very studied...light effects were the spectacular element of its solid ethernal romanesque horizontal structures...solid walls and metaphysical interiors...strong are the walls and the gates to access the heavens...only really good men can access it...

Very interesting. Yes, the light adds to the atmosphere of eternity on earth.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #735
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Here you are some images I took about an ancient Abbey from the XIII century, with many many frescoes by the school of Giotto, the great painter. I think I can affirm that in some part you can really see part of the hand of the Master itself...the emotions in visiting such a magic complex so well preserved, an ancient town in the amidst of the Parco Sud Milano agricultural park...well, it just one of my preferred spot in the city. Just so soul inspiring. Really beautiful even if you don't think about the Giottoesque medieval gothic frescoes...
So this is Viboldone Abbey, in the parco sud/parco valle del ticino route of abbeys:

Exquisite.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #736
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
A small video by Milanodavedere about the church of San Fedele, a mannerist jewel from XVII century very well preserved. In this church you'll only find elegance and a metaphysical, bright light. The best time to visit this church is around 11.30 a.m and 15.30 p.m., where light shines in its white marbles. It is considered an example of counter reformation church architecture, as it was built by saint Charles Borromeo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IOzR5mznpg

a detail of the late XVI century wooden scuptured confessionals:

image by wikipedia

The view from the entrance, focus on the sweetness of the white/pink stone of Angera:

isn't this a bright church? The architect is Pellegrino Tibaldi.

(image from Luigi Petrazzoli)

The confessional is rich and imposing. It is a very bright church indeed. The beautiful altar is framed by and filled with light.

I enjoyed the video.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #737
Pod°

Likes (Received): 370

Quote:
Santa Maria alla Porta

I love the interior of the dome The church is a bit dark, probably should be restored like San Fedele
Old September 24th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #738
tommolo

thank you all for your comments!

Well, San Fedele was built with very nobles materials like white and pink marbles...and it's much bigger and the project was by Tibaldi...it's true that santa maria alla porta is an ancient church and the facade was projected by Richini, but the interior is an adaptation to baroque of a church built in a previous style...and it's much smaller...
But of course it would shine if properly restored, it has some beautiful frescoes!

Old September 24th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #739
tommolo

San Lorenzo Maggiore paleochristian basilica in a picture from my Instagram profile:

Seems like springtime here in Milan huh?

Old September 25th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #740
tommolo

Now a triumph of the renaissance: Portinari chapel, with frescoes by Foppa, realized between 1462 and 1468.
Images by flickr user klausbergheimer.

image hosted on flickr

Pod°, Highcliff liked this post

Tags
milan, tourism, travel