daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #1141
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3601

I found on the Italian forum this image (i don't know who to credit it anyway)
of the majestic interior of the Santuario dell'Addolorata of Rho, very close to central Milan:

franciscoc, TimothyR, Zaz965 liked this post
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #1142
aljuarez
México

Likes (Received): 2340

Wonderful updates, Tommolo!!

tommolo liked this post
aljuarez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #1143
tommolo

Thank you very much, Aljuarez, you're very kind!

San Bernardino alle Monache, sorry for the very low quality pics, but I only had my mobile phone to get a foto of the inside of this church.
This church is very close to Sant'Ambrogio, and it was built in the first half of 1400s above a previous church built in 1288, called Santa Maria di Cantalupo. It was renamed after the great preacher Saint Bernardino of Siena (that visited the city of Milan in many occasions) after he died in year 1444.

Side frescoes from 1400s:

The vault of the counter facade:

A beautiful fresco of the "Madonna del Latte":

The apsis:

Detail of the gothic vaults:

All pictures are mine.

These are Wikimedia commons images that shows the exteriors of the church:

franciscoc, TimothyR, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by tommolo; October 14th, 2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old October 14th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #1144
tommolo

And this is another San Bernardino church, this one called San Bernardino alle Ossa, "of the bones", because it's a sort of chapel-ossuary. It is by far the most "impressive" (in a sense) church in Milan, one of the favourite touristical hotspot according Tripadvisor, because of its walls completely made of human bones. If you had the chance of travelling in Portugal, you'd probably have visited the Capela dos Ossos in the beautiful city of Evora. It is very similar to this one, and the reason is easy to explain: when in 1738 the king John V of Portugal visited Milan was so impressed by this chapel that he wanted another one in Portugal. On All soul's day (November 2) a legend says that the ghost of a young lady comes out of the walls and all the skeletons starts a dance macabre.

Picture by Cristiano Vandone, photo published on Milano da Vedere's Facebook page.

Pod°, franciscoc, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by tommolo; October 15th, 2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:31 PM   #1145
franciscoc

Likes (Received): 1374

very interesting video in spanish with english subtitles about the new exhibition of the Prado Museum: Transparent Crystal Rock Carving Art in Renaissance Milan
https://www.museodelprado.es/en/exhi...lanesem/video/

vittorio tauber, tommolo, Pod° liked this post
franciscoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:23 PM   #1146
tommolo

Extremely interesting the video, it seems that they decided to show many pieces of the Madrid's royal collections, since it seems these jewels were made in Milan for the Royal Court of Madrid, that at that time ruled Lombardy, am I wrong? Are there pieces from Milan? I remember a whole showcase of crystal rock objects in the Poldi Pezzoli museum...anyway I'm planning a visit in Spain next month for a marriage, and I'm likely to do a stop in Madrid...I'll try to visit this beautiful exposition at the Prado...al fin y al cabo el Prado siempre es una buena opción jajajaja!
Thank you very much for sharing!

Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:40 PM   #1147
tommolo

On sunday I've been at the Fall open day of the FAI, the Fondo Ambientale Italiano, which is the italian branch of the british National Trust, they help to keep the artistical and natural/cultural landscape intact and well preserved.
They focused on the historical charity institutions of the city of Milan throughout the centuries, as for instance the cloister of the so called Società Umanitaria, that once were renaissance cloister of the church of Santa Maria della Pace (opened once every a month or so...), inside there are interesting renaissance frescoes and a delicious secret garden in the heart of the bustling city center!

Here goes the pictures, this is the Salone dell'Affresco, the Hall of the Frescoes:

Details of the beautiful renaissance Crucifixion fresco:

And these are the renaissance cloisters:

All the pictures are mine.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:54 PM   #1148
tommolo

San Bernardino alle Monache church, we met this church in the post 1143, a couple of post above, and I promised you some better pictures as soon as I could go back inside there with a decent camera. Here you are the result!

The altarpiece:

The Madonna del Latte, the madonna breastfeeding baby Jesus, so cute and sweet!

The side of the church:

And the main facade:

All pictures are mine.

Pod°, TimothyR, Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2015, 12:16 AM   #1149
tommolo

This is a small mannerist jewel in central Milan built in 1561 by the architect Galeazzo Alessi for the Barnabite religious order. It's called Santi Paolo e Barnaba, but it's commonly known as San Barnaba. It's very close to the very heart of the city centre, since it's located between the Justice Hall and the Central Hospital of Milan, very close to some 60 years ago flew the Navigli channels around the historical city centre.
In 1625, the early baroque painter decorated the vaul of the choir and the apse.
The interior of the main nave is a delicious knitwork of mannerist stuccoes that may remember us the Raphael's works on the hall of Cardinal Bibbiena in the Raphael Loggias in the Vatican. Pure deliciousness, a joy for the eyes!

A side chapel:

The small dome above the main altar, here you can see Camillo Procaccini's frescoes of 1625 in the vault of the choir and the apse:

The counter facade:

The apse:

All the previous pictures are mine.

This is the facade of the church, a beautiful mannerist jewel designed by the genial architect Galezza Alessi in 1500s:

From Wikimedia Commons.

Pod°, Skymino, TimothyR, Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:16 AM   #1150
franciscoc

Fantastic recent examples: San Bernardino alle Ossa, similar to other examples of church-ossuary, as Rome (Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini), Évora and the Czech Republic. And the church of Santa Maria della Pace with its frescoes.
Another fantastic news for the heritage of Lombardy has been the reopening Teolinda Chapel in the Cathedral of Monza, also with wonderful frescoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolo View Post
Extremely interesting the video, it seems that they decided to show many pieces of the Madrid's royal collections, since it seems these jewels were made in Milan for the Royal Court of Madrid, that at that time ruled Lombardy, am I wrong? Are there pieces from Milan?
Most pieces in the exhibition has three origins: Dolphin treasure preserved in the Prado Museum, the collection of Louis XIV of France preserved in the Louvre and the Medici collection on display at the Palazzo Pitti.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 12:31 PM   #1151
tommolo

Thank you for the informations!

Yes, the chapel of Teodolinda in Monza is a breathtaking monument, I visited it but there was no chance to take picture of it at all, sorry! Inside the chapel of Teodolinda you can also find the "corona ferrea", that was used to crown the emperors in Europe (the title of king of Italy was considered to be an imperial title, that's another reason why for 1300 years we've been ruled mainly by external european houses).
The Corona Ferrea was thoght to have been made with one of the nails of Jesus' cross, given to Saint Helen, the mother of the empereor Constantine, that at the moment (around 300 d.C.) had his imperial court in Milan. So the nail remained in Milan and was used to create a crown.
The sybolical power of the Corona Aurea was really ginormous: it was the symbol of a power given directly by God himself. Many empereors were crowned in Milan with it, like Charlemagne, Frederick I Barbarossa, Charles V of Habsburg, Napoleon and Ferdinand I of Austria. Napoleon said when crowned at the Milan's duomo on 26 may of 1805 with the Iron Crown the famous words: "God gives it to me, beware whoever touches it!".

Now we know it's not made with the Jesus' cross nails, but it's anyway a glorious masterpiece of high middle ages goldsmith artisanry.

And here goes some beautiful pictures of the restored Chapel of Teodolinda in the cathedral of Monza, in a post made by the frien SSC Italia used Ithomas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThomas View Post
Chapel of Teodolinda
Monza | Milan urban area

cost: about 3 million euros

Teodolinda Chapel, the 15th century frescoes from the Zavattari Workshop, reopened to the public after 6 years of restoration. Located inside the Monza Cathedral, these frescoes depict in 45 scenes the stories of the Queen’s life, her marriage, her meeting with her first husband, Authari, and her new marriage with Agilulf. All the figures in the painting are portrayed in luxurious surroundings and clothed in magnificent garments characteristic of the Visconti family, the rulers of Milan at that time.

Pod°, franciscoc, TimothyR, Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 28th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #1152
aljuarez
México

Likes (Received): 2340

Gorgeous.

Speaking only about churches, what would you say are the main towns to visit in the Milanese region? I believe Monza should be a priority. Right?

tommolo, Zaz965 liked this post
aljuarez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #1153
tommolo

Sorry for the delayed answer, it was a busy time for me!
Yes, Monza, its royal palace and park is a must see for sure, but the richest art city in the surrounding is (imho) surely Pavia and its charter house, it's easy and fast to reach by train, just take the S13 line from Milano Garibaldi station and you're in the well preserved historical centre of Pavia in a matter of 30 minutes: It was the former capital city of Longobards and much have remained there of that period. Another gem, a little bit further from Milan (45 minutes by train, not much more) is Bergamo, the best preserved medieval walled city in northern Italy.

A little though about 13/11

I write this post in the aftermath of the ignobles Paris' attacks, and I wanted this thread to demonstrate solidarity with our french cousins, I know many french passes here and read this thread, and I wanted to share with them just a word: you're not alone in this moment of pain and loss. We all there with you. We need a new humanism, because humanity is slipping off of the hearts of many humans. Staying human, right now, can be a challenging decision, it need resistance to external inputs of hatred and radicalization, but it will eventually pay off. That's the best way to defend the values we believe in.

I did not know how to demonstrate properly how I feel close to french people in this moment, so I thought to bring some example of churches in Milan devoted to the quite crowded french community of expats in the city.

The first one in the Beata Vergine Addolorata in San Siro church, where every week masses in french are held, even if it's not the actual french parish in Milan:

As you may have notice, is rather a modern church, built between 1951 and 1955, but inside you can find some surprising artwork, despite its sober looking:

For instance, an interesting piece of art is the altar of the side chapel of the Addolorata, where you can find a very beautiful marble modern altair with a magnificent decoration in majolica that is the largest piece of art in the world made in this very delicate material, a true masterpiece created in the Sixties by the artist A. Poli:

And there is also this beautiful painting with a very human Madonna crying the loss of her child.

(all the pictures and all the informations are drawn from the webpage blog.urbanfile.org/category/milano/ , thanks guys!)

---------------------------------------

The actual french parish of Milan is this one, la paroisse française du Christ-Roi, inside the church of Mater Amabilis.
Unluckily, I have only external view of this church:

That's all, again, a big hug from across the Alps!

TimothyR, franciscoc, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:18 AM   #1154
tommolo

San Gaudenzio basilica is a big church in Novara, which technically a city in Piedmont region, not in Lombardy, but it's culturally and historically a very "lombard" city. It's much more related with Milan, for instance, than with Turin. It's located 44 kilometers west of the Duomo cathedral of Milan.

The San Gaudenzio basilica in Novara is dedicated to the patron of the city, St. Gaudenzio, and it shows one of the tallest domes in Europe, 126 meters tall, and a bell tower 75 meters tall. Its dome was designed by the crazy genious of Alessandro Antonelli in 1878:

The main facade:

The tall bell tower, 75 meters tall, designed by the baroque architect Benedetto Alfieri:

Pod°, franciscoc, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by tommolo; November 15th, 2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #1155
tommolo

The Basilica of San Gaudenzio in Novara part II, after the spectacular exteriors and the dome 126 meters tall, the beautiful baroque interiors:

The beautiful tall dome seen from right under:

The counterfacade:

The statue on the top of the dome is a reproduction, the original statue, 5 meters tall, is indside the basilica, under the tall dome:

Pod°, TimothyR, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:37 AM   #1156
tommolo

San Gaudenzio basilica in Novara part III, the side chapels:

The magnificent polyptich of Gaudenzio Ferrari, the artistical masterpiece of the basilica, we'll see it in more detail later:

The magnificent masterpiece from the Renaissance, the Polyptich of the Nativity of San Gaudenzio, 500 years old, painted by one of the greatest Old Master of all northen Italy: Gaudenzio Ferrari. Look at the colours! So beautiful!

The scenes of the Polyptich in detail, because the artistical quality of this masterpiece deserves to be enjoyed in full detail:

The central scene, the Nativity:

The Madonna with the Child:

All pictures are mine.

Pod°, franciscoc, TimothyR, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 15th, 2015, 12:02 PM   #1157
AerialExplorer

Likes (Received): 2

amazing pictures

tommolo liked this post
AerialExplorer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #1158
tommolo

Another very big church in Novara is the cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, rebuilt in pure neoclassical style by the architect of San Gaudezio, Alessandro Antonelli. It still shows a smaller, baroque apse and no transept, sign of an unfinished work.
The cathedral was built between 1857 and 1869.

On the ouside, the neoclassical facade is preceded by a colonnade, a neoclassical portico:

The side of the cathedral as seen from outside of the portico surrounding all the cathedral:

The interiors are very neoclassical:

Another masterpiece of Gaudenzio Ferrari, the renaissance painter:

The baroque fresco on the "dome":

As you can see, the interior of the cathedral was under restoration, but its neoclassical feature is very easy to notice and to enjoy.

Outside, in the portico, in front of the facade, you can find the most important element of the cathedral, the paleochristian baptistry. It was built between the end of the IV century and the beginning of the V, representing one of the oldest heritage of its kind in Piedmont (that kind of structure are more frequent to be find in Lombardy, another element in common between Novara and Lombardy). The baptistry was modified around the year 1000.

Here you can see its paleochristian structure:

The interior is covered with beautiful frescoes:

Particularly interesting are those of the dome, painted in romanesque style:

All pictures are mine.

Here you are some pictures from Wikimedia Commons about the baptistry:

And the beautiful renaissance/baroque frescoes:

And to close this large post, a couple of images of the cathedral of Novara taken from Wikimedia Commons:

The interior without the restoration works:

Pod°, TimothyR, franciscoc, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by tommolo; November 15th, 2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old November 15th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #1159
tommolo

And the last church from Novara I want to tell you about is San Nazzaro della Costa, a very ancient abbey dating back to the X century, before the year 1000. The first time it was mentioned in an official document it was the year 1124.

The interior is covered with incredibly beautiful frescoes, painted between 1256 and 1265 for the oldest parts and in the 1330-1340 for the "newest" parts, painted in a Giottesque style. In the year 1346, worked on the frescoes the great painter Giovanni Jacobi da Como.

The beautiful frescoes of the crucifixion in the apse:

Detail of the ceiling of the apse:

All pictures are mine.

franciscoc, vittorio tauber, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by tommolo; November 15th, 2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old November 17th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #1160
franciscoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolo View Post
Sorry for the delayed answer, it was a busy time for me!
Yes, Monza, its royal palace and park is a must see for sure, but the richest art city in the surrounding is (imho) surely Pavia and its charter house, it's easy and fast to reach by train, just take the S13 line from Milano Garibaldi station and you're in the well preserved historical centre of Pavia in a matter of 30 minutes: It was the former capital city of Longobards and much have remained there of that period. Another gem, a little bit further from Milan (45 minutes by train, not much more) is Bergamo, the best preserved medieval walled city in northern Italy.
I always thought that Bergamo is a city of special beauty. In my four trips to Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence, Naples, Palermo and Siracusa) I haven't had a chance to meet Lombardy. I definitely think that apart from Milan, Bergamo and Mantua would be essential stops.
Tommolo, I read you once Naples was the fourth leg on the table of Italian art.
For variety of times, monumental importance and density, what cities would dispute a hypothetical fifth?

Tags
milan, tourism, travel