daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2016, 05:41 AM   #1261
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolo View Post
San Martino basilica in Treviglio, some 32 kms east of the Duomo cathedral of Milan.

The first church in this place was a pre-romanesque temple dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin. In the year 1008, the basilica
was dedicate to Saint Martin of Tours. In the year 1482 the basilica was trasformed and heavily modified in the typical Lombard brick gothic style, using the previous civic tower as the new bell tower of the basilica. The facade was modified in an exhuberand late baroque style in the year 1740 by the architect Giovanni Ruggeri.Details of this amazing, incredible masterpiece:

All pictures are mine.
This is magnificent. Breathtaking. Thank you for these detailed pictures.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

djole13 liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2016, 05:26 AM   #1262
aljuarez
México

Likes (Received): 2340

GREAT updates, Tommolo!

San Pietro al Monte in Civate abbey is an amazing jewel!

tommolo liked this post
aljuarez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:02 AM   #1263
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3596

I'm back!

Sorry for the delay, I'm experiencing some troubles with my camera, so for the moment HD picture are out of reach for me, just smartphone pictures...

Here it goes the church of Santa Maria della Pace, in central Milan, just behind the Courthouse.

The church has a late Lombard brick Gothic looking on the outside and a Renaissance looking on the inside. It has been built between the year 1476 and 1497 after a donation of Bianca Maria Sforza and his son, Galeazzo Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan.

The architect of this church is likely Guiniforte Solari.

The church was deconsacrated by Napoleon Bonaparte in the year 1805 (like many other churches) and the frescoes that decorated the interiors were removed and brought to the Brera, the Napoleon's Royal Palace of Arts and Sciences in Milan.

After that, in 1900 it even become a concert Hall, known as "Sala Perosi". Finally, in 1967, it was bought by the current owner, the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre, that use the former church for concerts and assemblies.

Unluckily, is it possible to visit it only once a month, the first thursday of the month to be precise, from the 10 to 12 am.
Today I finally had the chance to visit it!

The exteriors in an image by Wikimedia Commons:

The facade:

The interiors:

The counter facade:

A 1400s painting of the Madonna. In the dress you can see written the latin word "Pax", that is "Peace"...this church is dedicated to Santa Maria della Pace, Our Lady of Peace...

All pictures are mine.

franciscoc liked this post

Last edited by tommolo; December 2nd, 2016 at 02:22 AM.
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:10 PM   #1264
tommolo

This is the church of Santa Maria Annunciata all'Ospedale Maggiore, that is the chapel of the Ca' Granda Renaissance complex, that once was the hospital of the city and now it's the public university (Università degli Studi di Milano).

The church has been built during the 1600s, and it shows a typical and sober Lombard baroque looking on the inside (the church has no facade, since its entrance is from the main courtyard).

The jewel of the church, the huge altarpiece by the Guercino, one of the big names of baroque era. The painting (quite big, 219 cm x 305 cm, painted in the year 1639) is about an "Annunciazione", that is the Annunciation to Mary.

Details of the Annunciazione by the Guercino (1639):

Picture found in Wikimedia Commons.

Except the last one, all the pictures are mine.

bicoccagio, franciscoc, TimothyR liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:29 PM   #1265
tommolo

The rotonda della Besana former church complex in Central Milan, now deconsacrated and used as a park and as Children's Museum (or MuBa).

The former church, that was called San Michele ai Nuovi Sepolcri, was a late baroque church built between 1695 and 1719 and used as a cemetery of the near Ospedale Maggiore Ca' Granda, whose chapel we've seen in the previous post.

The complex as seen in a 1745-ish engraving by Marc'Antonio Dal Re:

Here you are the pictures:

The round portico that runs all around the former church:

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/blZAq-FRBD31yMLtyfDs_schvNJKyd5_52DI7Of1wh_EPDqVVVFbToLLa23WTtoMrkUA_Ylf0E3xkc7upBZ4hRrlmUot55pG8pDBTdPU-H7_n1B2fJoQxu81HarPZ7_iI2QAh-rTUfifgzQcddsdbt05RvdK48WnH4sbLItRPaSwQE3ny7hihiTdEYaRCTCcbYxic1SID5oDNBZkcXxfSBFXYIMO8QSmhUsftPQRcZgtT6XXgoo5kPJ0d4-6L1XTXY_jL0SJiOP7Duka6c8Q01EMxvj5GOJTu9Sk5ZzRHfUONANGjnobvJWxAkwu6Zi1TLy7tyB4rHMXQW5HXQ_B7rn_n-_kPv955cwBC7h8WJH1nnR8r1L26c3vRWY11bfkrZ3LwEJpDsD99AcBkME7Gx-5rmAxkowwm0SaXehh18EXgYjiPGWhV2iB92****Yy-DTOhd0KbDraragKuyLKx_Ld9BlvUPEPmOf6fwV2SRzY1DkP1BxdJaLc17HSC2Hn-_IQqbIZMwjgC6cPrJhcVWSvHcpUYWNQZrhmJCN_QWC7q5VcPkID8ezCDqKgx2L8VOSs8R_dD_FP-7VXNm70d59NfEXKNUt3HfaoQ6_Amev2w6TYqg=w1024-h768-no[/IMG]

A couple of panoramas of the Rotonda della Besana:

All pictures are mine.

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc, TimothyR liked this post

Last edited by tommolo; December 2nd, 2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:41 PM   #1266
tommolo

A couple of pictures of the huge dome of the basilica of Santa Maria della Passione, a big mannerist church in central Milan:

All pictures are mine.

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc, TimothyR liked this post
Old December 6th, 2016, 04:07 AM   #1267
tommolo

The Monza cathedral, just north of Milan:

The silver altar:

The Tree of Life, a huge fresco on the right transept:

One of the side naves:

All pictures are mine.

Old December 22nd, 2016, 01:46 AM   #1268
tommolo

Santo Stefano basilica in Sesto San Giovanni, less than 9 kms north of the Duomo cathedral of Milan.

The first church dedicated to Saint Stephen in Sesto San Giovanni was built in the year 1613, but it was a small church thought for a small town of 2000 dwellers, but it was too tiny for the industrial growing city of Sesto San Giovanni of the late XIX century. The new church, quite big indeed, it was started in the year 1884 and was finished in 1891.

The exteriors:

From the website www.campanologia.org

The interiors:

All the pictures of the interiors are mine.

TimothyR, franciscoc liked this post

Last edited by tommolo; December 22nd, 2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 10:41 AM   #1269
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5468

Too bad they have permission to build those ugly buildings so close to the church, forever ruining the harmony and monumentality of that place.

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milàn l'era insć

tommolo liked this post
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 11:40 PM   #1270
tommolo

You are absolutely right, Skymino! What a pity! Sesto San Giovanni has suffered a strong Coventrization, I would say it's the commie block capital of Italy, and that's a shame because it still have some corner where you can appreciate the spirit of the old city. I guess after WWII there were some other problems to solve rather than caring about the aesthetics of the cities, like giving everyone a house, but still...in many cases it could have been done waaay better!

------------

Here you are today's church! If you love blue cheeses as I do, well, you surely will have heard of this city, Gorgonzola! This is the main church of the town, it is called Santi Gervasio e Protasio church, and has been built in a very elegant neoclassic style by an absolute genious of the milanese neoclassicism, the swiss born (Ticino) Simone Cantoni between year 1806 and 1820. Cantoni, one of the biggest neoclassical architects in Italy, has designed many many neoclassical palaces in Milan and in Lombardy, his styles is very recognizeable, and here in Gorgonzola church he made one of his small and little known masterpiece! Simone Cantoni actually died in Gorgonzola in 1818 during a visit to the works during the building of the Santi Gervasio e Protasio church.

Wanna visit this monument? It's the easiest thing to do! Catch a ride with MM2 metro line green towards Gessate and hop off the train at Gorgozola station, the church is 15 minutes walking!

It has a very interesting position on the banks of the Naviglio Martesana, an artificial channel running through the north-east milanese area.

From the exteriors you can already say that it's a Simone Cantoni's one:

The Naviglio Martesana (sorry, foggy days, how strange huh?)

Swans bathing:

Neoclassical facade:

The external side chapel of Gian Galeazzo Serbelloni, the Lord of Gorgonzola. After his death in 1802, his will was to build a new church in Gorgonzola.
It's worth to mention that Simone Cantoni already worked for Serbelloni's father, called Gabrio, in his Palace in Porta Venezia district of Milan, one of the most elegant neoclassical Palaces in Milan (I adore it! And I adore Simone Cantoni too! For me he was a genius!)
Here is the chapel:

The interiors, the triumph of neoclassicism!

The neoclassical apse, looks like an ancient roman basilica. Neoclassical apse can't be much different from this I guess...

Another last picture of the exteriors by the side of the channel:

All pictures are mine.

Arditi, franciscoc liked this post

Last edited by tommolo; April 18th, 2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 01:22 AM   #1271
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5468

There are many pictures that i can't see

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milàn l'era insć

tommolo liked this post
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:14 AM   #1272
tommolo

Thank you for letting me know! I think I fixed it now, at least for the last post!
Old December 23rd, 2016, 06:14 AM   #1273
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Santo Stefano basilica in Sesto San Giovanni, less than 9 kms north of the Duomo cathedral of Milan.

The first church dedicated to Saint Stephen in Sesto San Giovanni was built in the year 1613, but it was a small church thought for a small town of 2000 dwellers, but it was too tiny for the industrial growing city of Sesto San Giovanni of the late XIX century. The new church, quite big indeed, it was started in the year 1884 and was finished in 1891.

All the pictures of the interiors are mine.
Magnificent.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

tommolo liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2016, 06:17 AM   #1274
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
This is the church of Santa Maria Annunciata all'Ospedale Maggiore, that is the chapel of the Ca' Granda Renaissance complex, that once was the hospital of the city and now it's the public university (Università degli Studi di Milano).

The church has been built during the 1600s, and it shows a typical and sober Lombard baroque looking on the inside (the church has no facade, since its entrance is from the main courtyard).

I love the altar. Exquisite

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

tommolo liked this post
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #1275
tommolo

Thank you for your comments!
After a pause of some months, I'm back forsome mote pictures of churches of Milan and the nearby region!

This is the Portinari Chapel in Sant'Eustorgio basilica, central Milan. A Renaissance masterpiece painted by Vincenzo Foppa:

Picture found in Milanodavedere's Facebook page, picture shot by Andrea Cherchi

Old April 17th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #1276
tommolo

The largest Liberty/art nouveau church in Milan, the Basilica of the Corpus Domini, very close to the Arco della Pace and the Parco Sempione, just behind the Sforza castle:

Impressive interiors:

All pictures are mine.

Last edited by tommolo; April 18th, 2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #1277
franciscoc

Likes (Received): 1372

Great to have your contributions and your erudition and pedagogy

tommolo liked this post
franciscoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #1278
tommolo

Thank you very much my friend! I missed the forum and this thread so much too!

Santa Maria Nuova basilica in Abbiategrasso, my hometown, 22 kms southwest of the Duomo cathedral of Milan. Once a Gothic basilica, now it shows a quite elegant baroque interior. The basilica was started in the same year of the Duomo cathedral of Milan, the year 1388, to celebrate the birth of the son of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Lord of Milan, in the castle of Abbiategrasso, back then a hunting castle frequently used by the house of the Visconti.

The Renaissance facade (built in 1497) it is said to be a design from Donato Bramante, if so it would be the very last thing Bramante did in Lombardy before leaving for Rome to serve at the court of the Pope to design the great dome of Saint Peter at the Vatican.

The portico in front of the facade:

The Renaissance loggia on the Gothic original facade shows Renaissance frescoes:

How beautiful!

The interiors show a very gentle natural light surrounding the three naves...

The elegant decoration on the vault:

The most important artwork of the basilica, a Renaissance altarpiece painted around 1595 from the old master Giovan Battista Crespi, called the Cerano (1573-1632):

Light filling the interiors coming in from the three huge oculus on the right side of the main nave:

Here you can appreciate part of the original gothic structure:

The side nave:

The baptistry still shows its original gothic interior:

A small baroque chapel facing the portico in front of the basilica:

The bell tower from the distance:

All pictures are mine.

Last edited by tommolo; April 18th, 2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #1279
tommolo

Let's continue with images of churches from Abbiategrasso, very close to central Milan.
This is the church of San Bernardino, next to the apse of the Santa Maria Nuova basilica.

This little church shows a very interesting design from the first baroque architect of Milan, Francesco Maria Richini:

The sober yet elegant interiors:

A very ancient wooden sculpture of the Crucifixion made in the first years of 1600s:

All pictures are mine.

Last edited by tommolo; April 18th, 2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #1280
tommolo

...And now the last church from Abbiategrasso, very close to central Milan, the church of San Pietro, probably the most ancient church in Abbiategrasso. It is said to have been built above a little chapel from the Langobards era, during the high Middle Ages.

The actual church has been built between the years 1753 and 1763 in a nice domed central-plan Baroque style. The architect that designed the very only central-plan church in Abbiategrasso is Francesco Croce, back then also the architect of the Duomo cathedral of Milan.

The exterior is still unfinished:

Details of the Portal created during the 1930s representing Saint Peter:

The interiors are extremely beautiful, in a very interesting ecleptic and neo-baroque style, finished in the year 1889:

The dome:

All pictures are mine.

Last edited by tommolo; April 18th, 2017 at 11:28 AM.

Tags
milan, tourism, travel