daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #221
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177



From latest news report from a Malay newspaper

Source : http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/arki...5.htm&arc=hive

According from that article, KTMB plans to change the old diesel locomotives to the electric ones in stages, starting from the freight trains...

The benefits of doing that, according from that article, the speed will improve to around 130 km/h to 140 km/h and reduce the dependability on fossil fuels....

Well, for me, the changes are quite extensive, bigger rail (50 kg/m), double track, electrification, realignment, new stations etc...enough to bring more passenger to rail service...

Anyway, old video of the construction in Rawang-Ipoh project can be seen here...

http://www.leighton.com.au/media_cen...eport_dvd.html
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #222
wheel of steel
Registered User
 
wheel of steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,651
Likes (Received): 723

Hi, im from Philippines.. Malaysia Railways is so nice and fast. I hope our government will also make similar one here in the Philippines.
__________________

Where Economic Miracle Awaits You!!!

Subic-Clark, Batangas, Metro Cebu, CDO-Iligan
wheel of steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #223
wheel of steel
Registered User
 
wheel of steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,651
Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post

A metre gauge train at 160/180 km/h can be much more usefull than a TGV in most situations.
I agree with you that it is a must to retain the old gauge. We must have to make more advantages from it. This is what happened in the Philippines, new lines was designed for 1067mm tracks. They keeping the current rail gauges and they only upgrade the speed to 130kph. In this case, the railways can be much viable.
__________________

Where Economic Miracle Awaits You!!!

Subic-Clark, Batangas, Metro Cebu, CDO-Iligan
wheel of steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #224
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Source : http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.as...8178&sec=north

RM12bil double-track project 8% done
By Zulkifly Mohamad


BUTTERWORTH: The RM12.485bil electrified double track project from Ipoh to Padang Besar which commenced in January is now 8% complete.

An MMC-Gamuda JV Project spokesman said to date, 160km of the total 329km stretch of the project had been opened for works.

He said presently, the joint-venture partners for the project were actively involved in six major works.

“They include utility works such as relocating gas pipelines, water pipes and electricity cables. Works are also in progress to install fibre-optics for telecommunications facilities along the double tracks and stations,” he said.

He said works to build two double-barrel tunnels in Bukit Berapit with a distance of 3.3km and 330m for the other tunnel in Larut had begun.

“Various soil treatment methods are being carried out at all opened locations while earth and drainage works are also in full swing at such locations.

“The earthworks include ground levelling, cut and fill, land removal and preparation of access roads,” he added.

MMC-Gamuda JV Project has been given 60 months to deliver the project on Jan 7, 2013. They received the Letter of Award from the Government on Dec 13, last year, and took possession of the site on Jan 8.

The spokesman said work to build land viaduct at Bukit Mertajam in Penang and marine viaduct at Bukit Merah in Perak was progressing as scheduled.

The double-tracking main line would cover a distance of 171km from Ipoh to Butterworth while the Kedah line, from Bukit Mertajam to Padang Besar in Perlis, would stretch 158km.

It is touted as the single largest and one of the most expensive construction projects in the country and would create more than 100,000 jobs for the people in Perak, Penang, Kedah and Perlis.

Two million pieces of pre-cast concrete sleepers, 1.5mil tonnes of cement and 400,000 tonnes of steel are required to build the entire railway line.

Gamuda group managing director Datuk Lin Yun Ling was quoted as saying that the agreement with the government was one lump sum over the five-year span.

“We are hedging on the prices of building materials, so even if prices are volatile, we will not gain or lose,” he said.
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #225
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Source : http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...7&sec=business

Ingress associate firm in RM1bil joint venture


KUALA LUMPUR: Ingress Corp Bhd's 49% associate company, Balfour Beatty Rail Sdn Bhd (BBRail), in a joint venture with Ansaldo STS Malaysia Sdn Bhd, has been awarded a RM1bil contract by MMC-Gamuda Joint Venture Sdn Bhd.

In a filing to Bursa Malaysia yesterday, Ingress said the contract was for the implementation of the rail systems package for the Ipoh-to-Padang Besar double-tracking project.

BBRail would be involved in the design, supply and installations of electrification and power supply, it said.

Ingress said the project was for 54 months and was scheduled for completion in January 2013.

It added that the project was expected to contribute significantly to the earnings of the group.
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #226
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Source : http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/cont...92820-bb6d9fa6

Quote:

08-07-2008: Balfour Beatty gets RM1b rail systems job
by Racheal Lee Mei Nyee
Email us your feedback at [email protected]


PETALING JAYA: Ingress Corporation Bhd's 49% associate company, Balfour Beatty Rail Sdn Bhd, in a joint venture with Italy-based Ansaldo STS Malaysia Sdn Bhd, has been awarded a RM1 billion contract by MMC-Gamuda Joint Venture Sdn Bhd.

The contract is awarded for the implementation of rail systems package for the Ipoh to Padang Besar double-tracking rail project.

The award of the contract to Balfour Beatty and Ansaldo meant that it beat other notable international players that included German-based Siemens AG, France's Alstom and Westinghouse Rail Systems Ltd.

In a statement yesterday, Ingress said Balfour Beatty received the letter of acceptance from the MMC-Gamuda JV. It said Balfour Beatty Rail would be involved in the design, supply and installation of electrification and power supply. The implementation will take 54 months and is scheduled for completion in January 2013.

Genoa-based Ansaldo is listed on the Milan stock exchange and is controlled by Finmeccanica SpA, Italy's largest defence company. It has been reported that Ansaldo has stamped its mark on signalling systems in Europe and had nicked several large portions of a high-speed train project connecting Milan and Bologna in Italy.

UK-listed Balfour Beatty controls a 51% stake in Balfour Beatty Rail. Ingress yesterday rose four sen to 46 sen, with 25,000 shares done. Gamuda rose 20 sen to RM2.47, but MMC Corporation Bhd fell 11 sen to RM2.42.

Ingress said the project was expected to contribute significantly to the group's earnings for the whole duration of the project.


TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #227
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Alignment and stations in Ipoh-Padang Besar Electrified Double Track project...

Source : http://www.mmc.com.my/pdf/Investor-P...3_IR_Final.pdf

TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #228
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Source : http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssI...25638120080726

Quote:

Chinese firm tipped to get Malaysia rail job-report

KUALA LUMPUR, July 26 (Reuters) - The China Railway Engineering Corp (CREC) is likely to get contract for a railway track project in Malaysia, estimated at 9 billion ringgit ($2.8 billion), a Malaysian newspaper reported on Saturday.

The Edge newspaper, quoting an unnamed source, said the state-controlled Chinese firm is likely to be the main contractor for the Gemas-Johar Baru double-tracking railway project.

"A source says the CREC will likely be the main contractor for the project with the sub-contracts being dished out to the local companies to build the double track that cover(s) an estimated 197 km," the newspaper said.

The double-tracking project, which includes other segments as well, was originally planned some 8 years back, but was shelved a month after Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi took over on Oct. 31, 2003, the paper said.

However, all the segments, except this stretch, have been revived in recent months, it said. (Reporting by Faisal Aziz; Editing by Lincoln Feast)
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:18 AM   #229
hetfield85
Metallica Band Member
 
hetfield85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kuantan | Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 644
Likes (Received): 25

Seremban-Gemas Electrified Double Tracking Project To Start In October


MELAKA, July 31 (Bernama) -- Construction work on the RM3.45 billion Seremban-Gemas electrified double-tracking project is expected to begin in October.

Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam said apart from Negeri Sembilan, the project which was expected to be ready by 2010, also involved routes in Melaka and Johor.

"The total length of the double-track is 94.14km, which comprises a 64.85km stretch in Negeri Sembilan, 27.84km in Melaka and 1.45km in Johor," he told reporters after the launch of the Melaka-level Warriors' Day remembrance campaign by Yang Dipertua Negeri Tun Mohd Khalil Yaakob, in Seri Negeri, Ayer Keroh here Thursday.

Mohd Ali said he and the state executive councillors had been briefed on the project by representatives from the Transport Ministry, yesterday.

He said he was made to understand that the project would be developed by IRCON International Ltd from India.

The chief minister said under the project, Melaka would have two new train stations, namely in Pulau Sebang and Batang Melaka, which would be fully equipped with parking lots for buses and cars.

"Other components to be built in Melaka areas include a 1.8km tunnel and nine bridges," he said.

He reiterated the project would also affect 297 lots involving 168 hectares of land and 51 houses belonging to the people in the state.

"Officers from the Alor Gajah District Land and Mines Office will meet with all affected house owners for land acquisition and compensation assessment," he said.

Mohd Ali said the project, when completed, would boost the state's economy especially in terms of tourism and town development along the Melaka-Negeri Sembilan border.

"With the electrified double-tracking project in place, the train service will be faster and more frequent," he said.

He hoped that the federal government would consider to expand the double-tracking project from Pulau Sebang to Melaka Town in future.

-- BERNAMA
hetfield85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:21 AM   #230
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Kuala Kubu Bharu station

The entrance


Ticket counter


The fare table of the KTM Komuter, finally, i can see the fare for KL Sentral to Tanjung Malim, it looks like it is about RM 7...


Made by LG


The route map, one interesting thing, it lists Ipoh-Tanjung Malim as a KTM Komuter route, could it be there will be a seperate KTM Komuter service for Ipoh-Tanjung Malim?


The list of stations and halts along the Ipoh-Seremban route, unlike the one in Batang Kali, the list do include Bank Negara and Mid Valley...


Designated area for a kiosk...


The faregates, made by Omron, the faregate looks very similar to those used in Japan, on the left side, that is the Touch n Go lane....2 readers, one for entry and one for exit...


On the platform


The track, towards north....next station, Tanjung Malim, but now, it is only Rawang-KKB shuttle...


Finally, the EMU came from Rawang to this station and it will head back to Rawang...
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM   #231
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Taken outside Rawang station, this signboard, gives an insight of the future Rapid Intercity train will look like....

TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #232
wheel of steel
Registered User
 
wheel of steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,651
Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK90 View Post
Taken outside Rawang station, this signboard, gives an insight of the future Rapid Intercity train will look like....

Wow!! This is awesome... I believe that these developments signifies innovative technology on narrow gauge railroad specially in SEAsia.

BTW @ TWK90, what is the max speed of the Rawang to Ipoh Line? Im so interested because the Malaysian Railway Project though 1 meter gauge is the frontline of South East Asia future railroad system. Here in the Philippines, we still have yet to come up with a modern railway probably like that from Seremban to Rawang..
__________________

Where Economic Miracle Awaits You!!!

Subic-Clark, Batangas, Metro Cebu, CDO-Iligan
wheel of steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #233
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel of steel View Post
Wow!! This is awesome... I believe that these developments signifies innovative technology on narrow gauge railroad specially in SEAsia.

BTW @ TWK90, what is the max speed of the Rawang to Ipoh Line? Im so interested because the Malaysian Railway Project though 1 meter gauge is the frontline of South East Asia future railroad system. Here in the Philippines, we still have yet to come up with a modern railway probably like that from Seremban to Rawang..
The Rawang to Ipoh electrified double track line is designed to handle 160 km/h operation, the current projects such as the Ipoh-Padang Besar and Seremban-Gemas, are also designed for 160 km/h operation...
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #234
wheel of steel
Registered User
 
wheel of steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,651
Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK90 View Post
The Rawang to Ipoh electrified double track line is designed to handle 160 km/h operation, the current projects such as the Ipoh-Padang Besar and Seremban-Gemas, are also designed for 160 km/h operation...
This is nice. When this line becomes operational, Im sure il going to see it first on youtube. The first in the world to operate a 160kph line on metre gauge... Thanks TWK90, and thanks a lot for your participation in Philippine Railways Thread... Keep us always updated here. Your country is so nice...
__________________

Where Economic Miracle Awaits You!!!

Subic-Clark, Batangas, Metro Cebu, CDO-Iligan
wheel of steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #235
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel of steel View Post
This is nice. When this line becomes operational, Im sure il going to see it first on youtube. The first in the world to operate a 160kph line on metre gauge... Thanks TWK90, and thanks a lot for your participation in Philippine Railways Thread... Keep us always updated here. Your country is so nice...
If i am not mistaken, UIC classifies metre gauge include 1000 mm and 1067 mm, following that, there are a few countries running their trains at 160 km/h, but all of those are on 1067 mm gauge....these are :

- Japan (Hokuhoku line)
- Australia (QR Tilt Train)

To be the first to operate trains at 160 km/h on 1000 mm gauge? Probably...

Aside from operating EMUs like shown on that signboard, plans are afoot for acquiring electric locomotives which should be able to run at 130 km/h to 140 km/h, according to this....

http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/arki...5.htm&arc=hive

The whole line already operational, we are only waiting for EMU for the Rapid Intercity service, journey on regular intercity train (pulled by diesel locomotive) has been improved in terms of journey time, and like the photos above, KTM Komuter now extended to Rawang - Kuala Kubu Bharu section, with final extension to Tanjung Malim is under planning....
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #236
wheel of steel
Registered User
 
wheel of steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,651
Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK90 View Post
If i am not mistaken, UIC classifies metre gauge include 1000 mm and 1067 mm, following that, there are a few countries running their trains at 160 km/h, but all of those are on 1067 mm gauge....these are :

- Japan (Hokuhoku line)
- Australia (QR Tilt Train)

To be the first to operate trains at 160 km/h on 1000 mm gauge? Probably...

Aside from operating EMUs like shown on that signboard, plans are afoot for acquiring electric locomotives which should be able to run at 130 km/h to 140 km/h, according to this....

http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/arki...5.htm&arc=hive

The whole line already operational, we are only waiting for EMU for the Rapid Intercity service, journey on regular intercity train (pulled by diesel locomotive) has been improved in terms of journey time, and like the photos above, KTM Komuter now extended to Rawang - Kuala Kubu Bharu section, with final extension to Tanjung Malim is under planning....
ha ha... it's hard to understand the utusan site.. We'll I think it's going to be a 130kph to 140 kph train ride... Your word "hinnga" is quiet same to us "hanggang" meaning up to...

The double track of Rawang to Ipoh line is somewhat prepared to a high-speed upgrade. The distance of the rails are wide apart. I think 5 meters from rail center compared to 4 meters for Phil. Northrail. Are there any level crossings along this line? From what I know, the whole length of the line was fenced.
__________________

Where Economic Miracle Awaits You!!!

Subic-Clark, Batangas, Metro Cebu, CDO-Iligan
wheel of steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #237
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel of steel View Post
ha ha... it's hard to understand the utusan site.. We'll I think it's going to be a 130kph to 140 kph train ride... Your word "hinnga" is quiet same to us "hanggang" meaning up to...

The double track of Rawang to Ipoh line is somewhat prepared to a high-speed upgrade. The distance of the rails are wide apart. I think 5 meters from rail center compared to 4 meters for Phil. Northrail. Are there any level crossings along this line? From what I know, the whole length of the line was fenced.
Yes, the distance of the rails are wide apart, however i don't think they design the track to be regauge to standard gauge at the later stage, because the concrete sleeper just nicely fitted to the metre gauge...

There is no level crossing for this project, and all electrified double tracking projects are free of any level crossings, flyovers or bridges was built to replace level crossing.....in Ipoh-Padang Besar and Seremban-Gemas projects, there will be tunnels for sure....
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #238
wheel of steel
Registered User
 
wheel of steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,651
Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK90 View Post
Yes, the distance of the rails are wide apart, however i don't think they design the track to be regauge to standard gauge at the later stage, because the concrete sleeper just nicely fitted to the metre gauge...

There is no level crossing for this project, and all electrified double tracking projects are free of any level crossings, flyovers or bridges was built to replace level crossing.....in Ipoh-Padang Besar and Seremban-Gemas projects, there will be tunnels for sure....
Ah, I see. I thought before that the double tracking was simply putting up another track beside the old one. It's completely brand new tracks as the old alignment is completely passing through several crossing. Very nice indeed...
__________________

Where Economic Miracle Awaits You!!!

Subic-Clark, Batangas, Metro Cebu, CDO-Iligan
wheel of steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #239
TWK90
Infrastructure
 
TWK90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,730
Likes (Received): 3177

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel of steel View Post
Ah, I see. I thought before that the double tracking was simply putting up another track beside the old one. It's completely brand new tracks as the old alignment is completely passing through several crossing. Very nice indeed...
It's a quite extensive upgrade, you get heavier 50 kg/m rail, new alignment, new stations, double tracks, higher ground level for the track, automatic fare collection, centralised train control, 25 kV AC electrification, modern passenger information system and in this Rawang-Ipoh project, the first electric intercity train service in Malaysia....

High speed rail will only be considered if there is good patronage or traffic on the upgraded line....
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #240
wheel of steel
Registered User
 
wheel of steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,651
Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK90 View Post
It's a quite extensive upgrade, you get heavier 50 kg/m rail, new alignment, new stations, double tracks, higher ground level for the track, automatic fare collection, centralised train control, 25 kV AC electrification, modern passenger information system and in this Rawang-Ipoh project, the first electric intercity train service in Malaysia....

High speed rail will only be considered if there is good patronage or traffic on the upgraded line....
And also the right of way is much wider than convential track requirment. Ours is 7 meters only, with squatters.. But now they're gone so we've got the 30meters right of way.

Ive got a youtube video here that finds me it's interesting. Where is this section and are they going to remove the tracks once they double it. At what speed is this train running? Its faster than in Indonesia and Thailand trains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCH9BTemA5U
__________________

Where Economic Miracle Awaits You!!!

Subic-Clark, Batangas, Metro Cebu, CDO-Iligan
wheel of steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium