daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2015, 04:36 PM   #981
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 2532

As Peninsular express service will be terminated in Feb 2016, there is a great dilemma for both KTMB and SRT to make a proper connection - if KTMB wants to keep the first train to depart from Padang Besar at 6.40 AM (Malaysia standard time), this implication mean the first DMU service will have to depart from Hatyai at 4 AM in the morning (Thailand standard time)

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2015, 07:00 PM   #982
SgWay

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
KTMB has stated all Intercity services between Padang Besar and Gemas will be handled exclusively by ETS equipment. I am enquiring about the fate of Intercity Trains 20/21 - is there a date set for discontinuing these trains between Hat Yai Junction and Gemas? The rumor is mid-February 2016. Also, does anyone have information on the fate of Trains 35/36 between Padang Besar and Butterworth?

Any factual information is appreciated.

Dave Bernstein
Editor
Thai Railway Guide
Passenger service between Gemas and Padang Besar will exclusively be provided by the KTMB electric train service by Feb 2016. An official announcement has not been made but KTMB staff on FB seem to confirm this rumour.

SRT will provide a twice daily service using DMU between Padang Besar and Hatyai. This seem to coincide with KTMB move to go all electric from Gemas-Padang Bedar

I agree with Wisarut. The schedule of the Padang Besar-Hatyai service seem inconvenient. The capacity is also very low. At most 400 passengers/day while there will be up to 24 ETS services per day along the Gemas-Pasang Besar stretch by 2016.

Substituting the Padang Besar-Hatyai stretch with express bus service seems more practical.

Last edited by SgWay; December 23rd, 2015 at 07:06 PM.
SgWay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #983
Dave B

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgWay View Post
Passenger service between Gemas and Padang Besar will exclusively be provided by the KTMB electric train service by Feb 2016. An official announcement has not been made but KTMB staff on FB seem to confirm this rumour.

SRT will provide a twice daily service using DMU between Padang Besar and Hatyai. This seem to coincide with KTMB move to go all electric from Gemas-Padang Bedar

I agree with Wisarut. The schedule of the Padang Besar-Hatyai service seem inconvenient. The capacity is also very low. At most 400 passengers/day while there will be up to 24 ETS services per day along the Gemas-Pasang Besar stretch by 2016.

Substituting the Padang Besar-Hatyai stretch with express bus service seems more practical.
KTMB Call Center sent me an e-mail confirming termination of 20/21 between Hat Yai and Gemas in February 2016 (date was not specified, however KTMB e-ticket is accepting ticket reservations through 20 February). What was not addressed is when 35/36 will cease operation in Malaysia. As Wisarut states, it is possible neither KTMB or SRT have agreed when this will take place due to the 1954 agreement.

Dave Bernstein
Dave B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:48 AM   #984
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11276

KTM ETS

http://railtravelstation.com/

QalzimCity, tjrgx liked this post
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 06:11 AM   #985
Wisarut

Quote:

Already have a slow red bus and a speed demon red van between Hatyai city to Thai side of Padang Besar. The problem is there is no cross border service to Malaysia side of Padang Besar while the checkpoint in question is just before reaching Thai side of Padang Besar and Malaysian authority has prohibited any Thai companies from running buses from crossing the border.
Old December 26th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #986
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
I doubt the SG government would look kindly to let MY to have that line into Singapore...
Would just prefer to have a better shuttle from JB and the MY CIQ and they can just take the "transport to Tuas".
Either way most blue collars in JB doesn't goes specifically to Tuas... Some goes to Ubi and so on....
Either way, it would be wise to quad-track JB at least to Kempas Junction now, and ideally electrify and double the PTP and Pasir Gudang branches, as JB is crying out for a decent transit system and given the volume of commuters in southern Johore make it a lucrative market.

As far as cross-strait traffic is concerned, I think there is some wiggle room here if the discussions are handled as technical rather than point-scroing politics.

* Both JB city, SPAD and LTA would benefit from getting Malaysian commuters off the roads, and especially the old causeway.

* LTA and SMRT wold benefit from getting more ridership for the MRT Tuas extension

* KTM would benefit from a modal shift in Johor commuter traffic to a new Komuter network in JB, which would be made far more viable if it linked into Singapore.

Whilst running a Komuter link into Woodlands CIQ has superficial appeal, as does the cross border transit, both suffer serious downsides:

* The existing causeway line cannot be doubled due to the presence of the water main.

* Woodlands CIQ is not connected to any Singaporean mass transit, making it effectively a dead end.

* Woodlands CIQ existing train facilities are not set up for mass transit and expansion is difficult due to layout.

Tuas offers a lot of win-win benefit - more ridership for SMRT and KTM, and would take a lot of commuter burden off woodlands CIQ, and the chronic congestion in JB to the far less congested Tuas and outside of JB entirely. Whilst not all workers work in Jurong/Tuas, many do. Meanwhile Tuas is built on reclaimed land and is already going to be remodelled for the Tuas MRT, providing an opportunity for a new high-throughput mass transit interchange.

The Woodlands-JB dedicated transit link is - in my view - a kludge solution that embodies the failure of Singaporean and Malaysian transit agencies to co-operate by ensuring any cross border jouney involves no less than three modes of transport and two en-route changes and Q-ing for border control twice.

Had the authorities been able to agree to replace or expand the causeway to make a double or a quad-track electrified KTM line feasible, then running a Komuter service through JB Sentral, past Woodlands and interchanging with the MRT and Kranji - with a co-located CIQ there for transit users only - would be a great solution, either instead or as well as Tuas. Alternatively, the same could be done in reverse, with the MRT being extended to a Komuter interchange at JB Sentral or JB 2nd Link CIQ. Either way, co-locating CIQ facilities (so only Q once for immigration) and directly linking transit systems (so only one change of transit system) is the crucial thing to getting people out of cars, off bikes, and off the roads.

Sovereignty could be easily satisfied by placing fixed infrastructure ownership by KTM in Singapore and/or LTA in Malaysia in a locally based private company formed under local rules, that leases the assets to KTM/LTA for a peppercorn rent. Failing that the local rail infrastructure authority (i.e. LTA or KTM) would technically own the asset, but which would again rent/lease it for a peppercorn rent to the foreign operator, who would be responsible for it on a day to day basis and have guaranteed access for X years.
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 04:24 AM   #987
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 288

I am still of the opinion that the JB-Singapore RTS should be built to KTM gauge and operated by KTM Komuter EMUs as a part of the Komuter network, under license from LTA.

Optionally, have it as an extension of the Thomson-East Coast Line to Bukit Chagar, but do you guys really want that?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.

Neb81 liked this post
luacstjh98 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #988
nazrey

Class 93 EMU ETS205 and ETS206 coupled (MU) at Butterworth. Both were assembled at the Malaysian CRRC plant

https://twitter.com/malayanrailways/...58118877564928

AlexisMD liked this post
Old December 26th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #989
nazrey

ELECTRIFIED DOUBLE TRACK
GEMAS – JOHOR BAHRU (starting 2016)
http://www.mot.gov.my/SiteCollection...as-JB%20bi.pdf

Old December 26th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #990
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
I am still of the opinion that the JB-Singapore RTS should be built to KTM gauge and operated by KTM Komuter EMUs as a part of the Komuter network, under license from LTA.

Optionally, have it as an extension of the Thomson-East Coast Line to Bukit Chagar, but do you guys really want that?
Either would be much better than the current proposals, in my view, especially if it can be done in such a way that CIQ clearence is co-located so passengers don't have to go through the whole Alighting - Queuing - Security - Reboarding ritual twice.

Personally, I'd like to see both the causeway and 2nd link have rail transit, and it might make the governments more ready to reach a deal if both "win" - i.e. if the Thonson line gets extended to Bkt. Chagar (with co-located CIQ there), whilst the Komuter PTP line gets extended to Tuas and directly links into the MRT (with co-located CIQ). That way everyone wins, including the passenger.

You could do the reverse and have KTM do the woodlands run, but given the MRT has headway and can move more passengers per hour, it makes more sense to put that on the busier link.
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #991
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 288

I think it'd be wise to see how the link at Woodlands works out before LTA/KTMB commit to a second KTM track into Tuas.

Unless they're planning to build a branch of the WCL into Nusajaya, because for now, all the plans I see call for BRT systems. If it really does end up as a BRT, there's a business opportunity for cross-border bus services between Nusajaya and Tuas Link MRT.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #992
ddes

Likes (Received): 934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb81 View Post
Either way, it would be wise to quad-track JB at least to Kempas Junction now, and ideally electrify and double the PTP and Pasir Gudang branches, as JB is crying out for a decent transit system and given the volume of commuters in southern Johore make it a lucrative market.

As far as cross-strait traffic is concerned, I think there is some wiggle room here if the discussions are handled as technical rather than point-scroing politics.

* Both JB city, SPAD and LTA would benefit from getting Malaysian commuters off the roads, and especially the old causeway.

* LTA and SMRT wold benefit from getting more ridership for the MRT Tuas extension

* KTM would benefit from a modal shift in Johor commuter traffic to a new Komuter network in JB, which would be made far more viable if it linked into Singapore.

Whilst running a Komuter link into Woodlands CIQ has superficial appeal, as does the cross border transit, both suffer serious downsides:

* The existing causeway line cannot be doubled due to the presence of the water main.

* Woodlands CIQ is not connected to any Singaporean mass transit, making it effectively a dead end.

* Woodlands CIQ existing train facilities are not set up for mass transit and expansion is difficult due to layout.

Tuas offers a lot of win-win benefit - more ridership for SMRT and KTM, and would take a lot of commuter burden off woodlands CIQ, and the chronic congestion in JB to the far less congested Tuas and outside of JB entirely. Whilst not all workers work in Jurong/Tuas, many do. Meanwhile Tuas is built on reclaimed land and is already going to be remodelled for the Tuas MRT, providing an opportunity for a new high-throughput mass transit interchange.

The Woodlands-JB dedicated transit link is - in my view - a kludge solution that embodies the failure of Singaporean and Malaysian transit agencies to co-operate by ensuring any cross border jouney involves no less than three modes of transport and two en-route changes and Q-ing for border control twice.

Had the authorities been able to agree to replace or expand the causeway to make a double or a quad-track electrified KTM line feasible, then running a Komuter service through JB Sentral, past Woodlands and interchanging with the MRT and Kranji - with a co-located CIQ there for transit users only - would be a great solution, either instead or as well as Tuas. Alternatively, the same could be done in reverse, with the MRT being extended to a Komuter interchange at JB Sentral or JB 2nd Link CIQ. Either way, co-locating CIQ facilities (so only Q once for immigration) and directly linking transit systems (so only one change of transit system) is the crucial thing to getting people out of cars, off bikes, and off the roads.

Sovereignty could be easily satisfied by placing fixed infrastructure ownership by KTM in Singapore and/or LTA in Malaysia in a locally based private company formed under local rules, that leases the assets to KTM/LTA for a peppercorn rent. Failing that the local rail infrastructure authority (i.e. LTA or KTM) would technically own the asset, but which would again rent/lease it for a peppercorn rent to the foreign operator, who would be responsible for it on a day to day basis and have guaranteed access for X years.
Do you even understand Johor Bahru and Malaysia to be churning out crap like that?

Firstly, the 'Tebrau Shuttle' is a commendable effort on the part of Malaysia to commit to alleviating the congestion along the Causeway. Its birth was accidental: the launch of electrified double-tracked service from Gemas to Padang Besar via KL Sentral necessitated a suspension of the coal-powered E&O Singapore to KL Sentral service. Gemas - Singapore would be left without service. Hence, the decision was undertaken to have trains running JB Sentral - Gemas v.v., and JB Sentral - Woodlands. The shorter journey on the former sector allowed trains to run more frequently, timed to connect with the first tranche of JB Sentral - Woodlands schedules.

You mentioned that it should be discussed from a technical aspect only, but I disagree as it ignores certain crucial facts such as demographics. Do NOT let Iskandar Development Region fool you - that's all in the distant future. Do not let arrogance also cloud your judgement.

Firstly, aside from Galang Patah, a relatively new township more conveniently accessed via Tuas, the bulk of Southern Johor traffic today commuting into Singapore, lives within 10km of the Causeway. The population centres are currently Bukit Indah, Skudai, Johor Bahru, Mount Austin, Tebrau and Pasir Gudang. This corresponds to a distance north and beween Lim Chu Kang and Punggol in Singapore. To propose that Tuas to REPLACE Woodlands, easily up to a 30km drive from JB Sentral to Tuas Checkpoint through JB, is ridiculous and demonstrates a lack of understanding of Singapore and JB and the commuters.

Secondly, Malaysia is fairly new to urban planning, and I would say Singapore isn't the best at it either. Just look at China: they took Singapore's URA urban planning tips and scaled it too large. Furthermore, rail transit is perceived negatively, from a property price point of view. Public transport is perceived as disrupting the demographics, bringing in the poor and foreign workers as they are most likely the ones to use public transport.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:43 AM   #993
nazrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakSP_92 View Post
BUTTERWORTH - PADANG BESAR - BUTTERWORTH

(New Route for KTM Komuter Northern Sector)

SCHEDULE

FARES

KTM Komuter service from Butterworth to Padang Besar launched
BY PATRICK LEE Friday, 1 January 2016 | MYT 1:06 PM
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/natio...-padang-besar/

The KTM Komuter service at Butterworth Railway Station. - The Star filepic

PETALING JAYA: A new northern KTM Komuter service will run from Butterworth, Penang to Padang Besar, Perlis starting this Friday.

A statement posted on KTM Komuter's Twitter handle (@ktmkomuter) said that the train will stop at 13 stations through Penang, Kedah and Perlis.

It is a 157.8km trip that will take about 105 minutes to complete one-way, the statement added.

The new ride is the second commuter rail service to be launched in north Malaysia.

It comes three months after national train company KTM Berhad (KTMB) launched its Komuter Utara service, linking Kamunting in Perak to Gurun in Kedah.

The new train ride will stop at the following stations (in order):

Butterworth, Bukit Tengah, Bukit Mertajam, Tasik Gelugor, Sungai Petani, Gurun, Kobah, Alor Setar, Anak Bukit, Kodiang, Arau, Bukit Ketri and Padang Besar.

One-way tickets will be priced from RM1 to RM11.40 for adults, with a 50% discount for senior citizens, the disabled and children aged 4 to 12.

The service will initially run with six trips taken a day.

Three of them will depart from Padang Besar for Butterworth at 5.45am, 10.45am and 3.30pm.

The other three will depart from Butterworth for Padang Besar at 8am, 12.50pm and 6.30pm.

The service will be using an Electric Multiple Unit trainset, with three coaches for passengers.

It did not say how many riders it could potentially carry on each run.

However, previous reports suggest that similar trains would have a seating capacity of 185 and enough standing space for 290 people.

The statement also added that the Butterworth-Padang Besar Electric Train Service (ETS) will be discontinued with immediate effect..

For more information, you can check KTMB's website (www.ktmb.com.my), call its hotline at 03-22671200 or view posts on its Twitter handle (@ktmkomuter).

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old January 13th, 2016, 02:44 AM   #994
nazrey

New Kuantan-Mentakab rail link in the offing
BY GURMEET KAUR Wednesday, 13 January 2016
http://www.thestar.com.my/business/b...in-the-offing/

PETALING JAYA: A new double-track rail line linking Mentakab to Kuantan in Pahang is being planned and it will be entirely financed by the private sector.

According to sources, this will be the first time the infrastructure is fully borne by a private sector entity with the Government not having to bear any operational or financial risk.

“The project has been approved by the top level officials in the Government and is expected to be announced soon,” said a source.

“An entity from China has expressed interest to undertake the project.”

The general rule of thumb for constructing a new rail line is RM40mil to RM60mil per km. This means it may cost around RM5bil or more to build the Mentakab-Kuantan track.

Mentakab is about 120km west of Kuantan by road and currently has a railway station operated by Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB).

A rail line connecting the two towns will accelerate the growth of Kuantan Port which is shaping up to be a major centre for trade, particularly with China.

It been reported that about RM4bil had been invested into the development of the Kuantan Port, which is expected to be recognised as an international port this year.

The rail line is expected to used mainly to transport cargo although it may include passenger services, according to industry players.

China’s Guangxi Beibu Gulf International Port Group Co Ltd has a 40% stake in Kuantan Port Consortium Sdn Bhd – the operator of Kuantan Port. It had bought that stake from IJM Corp Bhd for RM310mil two years ago.

The Government had announced plans to open up the inter-city freight and rail commuter services to the private sector as had been done successfully in many other countries. Currently, the Government-owned KTMB is the sole operator for train and rail commuter services in the country.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai was quoted as saying that the ministry hoped to see the approval of train operators this year as the railway sector continued to be one of the ministry’s priorities in 2016.

In the bigger scheme of things there is a plan for a train linking Kuala Lumpur to Kuantan via Mentakab.

The present east coast rail connection that is operated by the loss-making KTMB does not go through Kuantan. It runs from Kuala Lumpur to Gemas, Mentakab, Pasir Mas and Tumpat in Kelantan.

There is a railway line from Mentakab to Kerteh, Terengganu, but this is mainly to serve the transport of petroleum products.

A direct rail link to Kuala Lumpur would spur the development of the east cost as envisioned under the East Coast Economic Region master development plan.

One Chinese rail infrastructure based firm with notable presence in Malaysia is China Railway Construction Corp Ltd (CRCC).

The Hong Kong-listed CRCC is China’s largest state-owned construction company with a presence in over 60 countries.

It set up operations in Malaysia in 2012 through subsidiary CRCC Malaysia Bhd and to date has amassed an order book of almost RM16bil.

The Government awarded the Gemas-Johor Baru electrified double tracking project worth about RM8bil to CRCC last month.

A CRCC-led consortium is also reportedly eyeing the high speed rail project from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore.

Recently, the China Railway group emerged as a 40% partner in the joint venture that won the bid for a 60% stake in the 486-acre Bandar Malaysia project for RM7.41bil. For its part in the purchase, China Railway said it would pay RM2.64bil.

tjrgx, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old January 13th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #995
Wisarut

Quote:

the issue is that the immigration office on Thai side opened from 5 AM to 9 PM (6 AM - 8 PM Malaysia time) - Worse, Malaysian immigration refuses to allow Thai buses to go across the border, so Thai government has forbidden Malaysian buses not to go beyond 5 Southern provinces [Songkla, Satun, Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat]
http://immigration.go.th/FAQs/faq07/imm6.html

Last edited by Wisarut; January 13th, 2016 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Addendum
Wisarut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 07:05 AM   #996
nazrey

http://blog.malaysia-asia.my/2015/07...ang-besar.html

atmapgnew, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:39 AM   #997
nazrey

JB Sentral station, Johor

https://www.facebook.com/ATOpshot

dimlys1994, 8166UY liked this post
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:54 AM   #998
nazrey

Malaysian Locomotive
@ Butterworth Depot, Penang

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8564844478/

Butterworth loco depot and carriage and wagon repairs is now officially closed and most staff are moving to the new depot at Bukit Tengah, but locos are still stabled and serviced here, but not for much longer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8563570543/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8563580457/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/596135...n/photostream/

@ Bukit Tengah depot, Penang

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/23992803310/

Ransomes & Rapier 10 ton Hand Crane, Bukit Tengah Depot (Butterworth)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/23992446290/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/23992294750/

stingstingsting, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:12 AM   #999
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4386

Old January 26th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #1000
faisalzulkarnaen89
FaisalZulkarnaen

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by World 2 World View Post

Bravo!!!..congrats to MMC-GAMUDA because successfully delivered EDTP..
#innovationnation
#MalaysiaBoleh
faisalzulkarnaen89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote