daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Sunderland and Durham

Sunderland and Durham For Sunderland, Washington, County Durham

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #21
penthousing

Likes (Received): 0

Well, the type of apartment I want command high rents, which I accept, but I don't like being ripped off. The main reason I avoided Bonner's Raff and Echo. Echo is more reasonabley priced but the flats are matchboxes.

As for North Haven, although a similarly good outlook to what I have is offered, the interiors are showing their age - very late 1980s/ early 1990s in style. The apartments do have a nice corner outlook window, but that doesn't make up for the dark, dated interiors, heavily overstyled kitchens and bathrooms etc. Some of them look like a Dynasty set.
penthousing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #22
denm

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by penthousing View Post
Well, the type of apartment I want command high rents, which I accept, but I don't like being ripped off. The main reason I avoided Bonner's Raff and Echo. Echo is more reasonabley priced but the flats are matchboxes.

As for North Haven, although a similarly good outlook to what I have is offered, the interiors are showing their age - very late 1980s/ early 1990s in style. The apartments do have a nice corner outlook window, but that doesn't make up for the dark, dated interiors, heavily overstyled kitchens and bathrooms etc. Some of them look like a Dynasty set.
Didn't realise the Bonnersfield and Echo buildings apartments were small, --and I remember when North Haven was being built and people talking of wanting to live their, --but I haven't seen the interior, --- btw, --I think your apartment looks a decent size, and a good location.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #23
penthousing

Thanks marra - it's largely unoccupied to be honest, I work away a great deal and sometimes wonder if I should move to somewhere cheaper, then I get home and go on the balcony and decide not to.

They're not tiny in Bonners but certainly no bigger than an average 2-3 bedroomed flat in a new build development is.
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #24
denm

Quote:
Thanks marra - it's largely unoccupied to be honest, I work away a great deal and sometimes wonder if I should move to somewhere cheaper, then I get home and go on the balcony and decide not to.

They're not tiny in Bonners but certainly no bigger than an average 2-3 bedroomed flat in a new build development is.
When speaking of Bonnersfield, ---a couple of years ago, there were plans for more apartments around that area, ---but since St Peters may become a World Heritage site, --then I think planning around the area had to be changed.
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #25
penthousing

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post
When speaking of Bonnersfield, ---a couple of years ago, there were plans for more apartments around that area, ---but since St Peters may become a World Heritage site, --then I think planning around the area had to be changed.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, given the other sites that could be developed not very far away.

*Cough* Climing frame on High St West *Cough*
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:39 AM   #26
denm

Quote:
That's not necessarily a bad thing, given the other sites that could be developed not very far away.

*Cough* Climing frame on High St West *Cough*

Ah the Poterfield Plaza site, ---it's a real shame this project came to a Holt, --and I thought it would have been bought by now as it has very good potential, ---just got to hope it doesn't stand this way for much longer, --last time I looked, --it was becoming a dumping ground.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #27
Sup.sup

Likes (Received): 32

Took some pics of the Liverpool house project. A Builder approached and during the discussion said the Offices and apartmens should be completed by Aug/Sept.

Last edited by Sup.sup; May 5th, 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: missed a photo
Sup.sup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #28
denm

Thanks for the photos Sup, ---looks as though the back of the buildings are finished, ---and it's very good to hear that the Development will be completed by late Summer, --very good news, --cheers.
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Sup.sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post

Thanks for the photos Sup, ---looks as though the back of the buildings are finished, ---and it's very good to hear that the Development will be completed by late Summer, --very good news, --cheers.
Aye very good, its the same company who completed the work on the building next to it on Norfolk street which looks really smart. I know externally they are changing the appearance so hopefully Liverpool house will have a similar finish as the current style is dated to say the least. Lets hope for a buyer for the Style Furnishings building also to get that kicked off and start making the main road into Sunniside a lot more attractive.
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #30
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup.sup View Post
Aye very good, its the same company who completed the work on the building next to it on Norfolk street which looks really smart. I know externally they are changing the appearance so hopefully Liverpool house will have a similar finish as the current style is dated to say the least. Lets hope for a buyer for the Style Furnishings building also to get that kicked off and start making the main road into Sunniside a lot more attractive.

I totally agree, ---and hope the external work will be as good as the building you mentioned, ---and I really hope someone also buys the Porterfield site, --this part of High Street could look so different.
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #31
denm

Think this is good news, ----this from the Sunderland Echo, --

Sunderland empty property blackspots get £600,000 boost

Published on Sunday 3 June 2012 12:02

MORE than £600,000 has been set aside to help tackle the problem of empty properties on Wearside.

Sunderland City Council is one of 20 authorities across the country that will receive funds to tackle clusters of empty homes.

The money will be given to the council to be used to bring back into use 105 empty dwellings in specific areas of the city.

These areas include Hendon, Millfield, Sulgrave and properties just north of the Wearmouth Bridge.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/l...oost-1-4613334
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #32
Sup.sup

Pictures taken of the flats being renovated opposite the new travelodge in Sunniside last Friday morning as you can see the 'first phase' is complete and looking a lot better than before, the development looks well on schedule to be completed by the end of the summer:

Last edited by Sup.sup; July 30th, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:36 AM   #33
denm

Thanks for the photo updates marra, ---there will certainly a big improvement when the buildings are complete, ---btw, --do you know what retailers will be taking the ground floor? cheers.
Old July 31st, 2012, 01:04 PM   #34
Sup.sup

Its meant to be office space from what I recall the guy saying. Not sure if they have any tenant's lined up.
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:44 PM   #35
denm

Quote:
Its meant to be office space from what I recall the guy saying. Not sure if they have any tenant's lined up.
I wasn't sure what the ground floors would be used for, --and thought it could be for retail, --so it's to be office space, -- cheers.
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #36
Sup.sup

Took some photos of Liverpool house this morning and what a transformation from what was, ive quoted the pre renovated pics on the bottom for people to appreciate the difference. Thank god this has been done before the opening of the hotel!

Quote:

Last edited by Sup.sup; November 4th, 2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: sp
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #37
denm

Thanks for the photos mate, ----what a difference there is with those buildings, --the work on them has definitely made them look a lot better, ---lets hope the Council has plans for the building next door, ---whether it will be similar, --or if they Demolish, ----but it needs some action, --cheers.
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #38
Sup.sup

Found this, its on Fitz architechts website for a development in Nile Street, Sunniside:

http://www.fitzarchitects.co.uk/residential-nilestreet

Looks very decent, there is also this for Scotia Quay:

http://www.fitzarchitects.co.uk/commercial-scotiaquay

Not looking so good, but different!
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #39
keka_71

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Found this, its on Fitz architechts website for a development in Nile Street, Sunniside:

Good find that but what is that second one all about. Hideous.
keka_71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #40
denm

Quote:

Interesting find mate,----I like the first image, --but like keka 71 ---I think the second looks weird, --and I don't like it --btw, --do you know if they are recent proposals ?cheers.