daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #21
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

in Croatia I don't know for some old things, but we have some interesting new stuff.
for instance, this bridge over river Korana in Karlovac. opened glamourously by ex minister of defence to raise his popularity in his hometown. 7 mil. €

than this beauty. bridge over railroad without access roads. not even unpaved. it just stands like that. 3,5 mil. €
better photo:

A11 motorway. still u/c but this part opened for traffic is really non sense. it was funny because they have first built cloverleaf intersection which was standing there as a ghost few years without access (completely signalization including horizontal was done).

"tunnel" in Zagreb. should have been a tram tunnel, but it was abbandoned for years, used only as a part of walking path. today it is also part of walking path, but it is more or less put in order.

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #22
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

In Spain we have few. In Alcalá de Henares the E90 motorway median was wider than normal (I believe they have narrowed that with the reconstruction project). That point was intended to be the split of current A-2 and a never built AP-2 to Zaragoza.

And more recently, while the rest of A-22's sections have been build (Almacelles bypass is set to open later this year), Siétamo-Huesca section has been delayed and still is a road, N-240, with the infamous speed camera placed just after a 70 km/h limit sign (I managed to drive through that camera within the limit some days ago). But I believe that section will be built anytime soon.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #23
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

PA 23 (uncompleted), east of Lancster, PA, USA

Known locally as the 'Goat Path', this section of never-completed PA 23 freeway/motorway that runs for a significant distance east of US 30 at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA still stands with its grassed-over main roadways. Any future work on it is uncertain.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=40.05807,...27595&t=h&z=15

Streetview from an overpass:
http://maps.google.com/?ll=40.063654...999999978,,0,0

Enjoy!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 07:25 AM   #24
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Darn, saw the thread and was going to post the Goat Path above. It's only about an hour from me, I've driven on the short completed part of the highway.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:58 PM   #25
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców

Likes (Received): 25702

Polish shame: A6 Szczecin. In 2011 was in use a 7 km long section with old concrete pavement from 1930s. GDDKiA had signed a contract with Budimex to repave the 2,2 km long section into asphalt. But these 2,2 km are not connected with other 21 km repaved in 1990s and 2000s. It's not the end - they are now planning to repave a small bridge which is not located on the section with roadworks. So we will have on 7 km long section... 5 changes of surface type
michael_siberia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:03 PM   #26
bogdymol
bogdymod

Romanian motorway plan in 1966 (0 km built at that time):

Romanian motorway plan in 1996 (I've green-ed what was already open):

Romania today (green = opened; red = u/c):

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM   #27
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
Well in my example the scandal was that the project even started:

The A3 (at the time called N3) was planned to be built over the river Sihl right through the centre of Zürich. The so called "Y" project.
Another Swiss abandoned project, it should have been a part of Lugano interchange (A2):

http://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Lugano&...icino&t=k&z=19

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:18 PM   #28
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I am afraid this approach is slightly off-topic, as 'not started' does not equal to 'abandoned' or 'never completed'. I guess the world is full of rejected plans.

The Finnish tradition is to not abandon the road works once started. That is why there are not many cases to present, at least on the network of main roads. However, two cases might qualify, both in the outskirts of the city of Jyväskylä:

1) In the 1960's, there was a plan to build the road 4/E4 as a motorway through the city cutting it into two. A short motorway section of 1.8 kilometres was built. As the criticism grew, the plan was abandoned. Later, the motorway was downgraded to a road 6108, and it was recently converted to a 1+1 street.

http://maps.google.fi/?ll=62.224096,...12,221.73,,0,0

2) The eastern approach to the city was built to a motorway in 1970's, but the money exhausted before making the bridge over the inland waterway at the east end. The motorway ends abruptly at a roundabout in the suburb of Vaajakoski. About two kilometers of a road is missing to join the road ends, and the traffic flows on a street.

Currently, that road is a six-fold multiplex of roads 4, 9, 13, 23, E63 and E75. There is an ongoing project to plan for the missing part. The tunnel option was rejected last year because of the cost and the bad bedrock.

http://maps.google.fi/?ll=62.237153,...72348&t=m&z=13
How could I forget these!

Also, the ending of Vaajakoski motorway in the downtown of Jyväskylä was intended to be just a common interchange, and the motorway would had continued to the the city-cutting Road 4, that was also never built in that place. That's why Vaajakoski motorway ends Y-shaped.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #29
bogdymol
bogdymod

Law 363 from september 2006 regarding the Romanian motorway and expressway plan:

Article

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #30
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Another Swiss abandoned project, it should have been a part of Lugano interchange (A2):

http://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Lugano&...icino&t=k&z=19
Was the original plan to build the motorway along the train tracks?

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #31
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

It took about 3 years to build this roundabout in Kosovo and even today the cracks in the asphalt have been discovered due to poor concrete bedding. Absolute discrace by the government in Kosovo.

PS.... The big hole at the bottom of the picture: That will be a skyscraper.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote