daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #61
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10817

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Dubai and Hong Kong don't have over 60 200m+ towers.

Both cities have just 40-50. NYC has still the most at 53.
That's not what the thread I linked below says, and people have been rather credible contributors showing photos, names, and roof heights for buildings included in the tables:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...104105&page=14

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #62
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
Shenzhen will wipe the floor with Toronto. Its having a mega-building boom. Toronto however is impressive in its own right.
An unfair comparison I believe. You are comparing Toronto, a city in a country with a mature, developed economy to Shenzhen, a city in a developing country. Rarely will you have a case of a developed economy growing faster than that of a developing one, unless of course you are a special economic zone such as Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.

Also, it's important to note that Toronto's metro population is roughly half that of Shenzhen.
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #63
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso

That's not what the thread I linked below says, and people have been rather credible contributors showing photos, names, and roof heights for buildings included in the tables:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...104105&page=14
Wow, this thread impressive!. Now i believe it .

Are there full lists for every city with all 200m towers?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #64
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Wow, this thread impressive!. Now i believe it .

Are there full lists for every city with all 200m towers?
I had a binder at home I started, but ended up just adding buildings that people on line verified with pics, links, etc. Doing the Chinese cities is a little daunting as information is scarce. Luckily there were some great contributors from there and elsewhere.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #65
isaidso
the new republic

A close up of the podium:

Courtesy of ut

Old December 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #66
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
I know, but just seeing 'TORONTO' under the 'Supertalls' section is a sight to behold. To see it downgraded, even though we never knew the official height until now, is depressing.
Don't take the designation too seriously. A number of the ones in the Supertall section are only there by dint of doo-dads or encased antennae on top of the building.
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #67
chuguie
loca comunista

Likes (Received): 603

What's the deal with 50 Bloor? When do sales start?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:49 PM   #68
saiho

Likes (Received): 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I had my suspicions. How many 200m+ is Shenzhen planning? I find it hard to get reliable information about Chinese construction. That said, 6th would be quite an accomplishment for a relatively small city like Toronto.
Toronto at its current pace will definitely cement itself as the #2 behind NY (Chicago is losing a bit of steam) in the western and developed world. Although you also forgot about Tokyo, they are building a decent amount of +200m. Today all the action is in Asia. Shenzhen has around 75 +200m buildings in pro, app, prep, and U/C.

Here is a list complied by scion for shenzhen. Granted some of the buildings on the list are still concept proposals that might not get built in the next 5-10 years.

Other cities that could dwarf over Toronto in +200m is Guangzhou, Chongqing, Shenyang, Tianjin and maybe Mumbai.

Last edited by saiho; December 22nd, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #69
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Other cities that could dwarf over Toronto in +200m is Guangzhou, Chongqing, Shenyang, Tianjin and maybe Mumbai.
I don't know about 'dwarf' over Toronto as this city has about 28 buildings 200m+ U/C or proposed which would bring the total to around 40. Where Toronto falls short is in the 300-600m category. Thus far, New York and Asian cities are creaming us in super tall buildings.

Back to 50 Bloor West:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldenbg View Post
From UT

Developer Morguard has put forth for a large rooftop public garden above the Holt Renfrew portion of the site. The developer would see an increase in height of the western half of the site up to 8 storeys, which would include an expanded mixed-use facility of retail and commercial office space. The rooftop of that portion would then be earmarked for public space, while privately maintained and being accessible through the concourse level of the expanded shopping plaza bellow. Sitting at about a half acre in size, there are few private properties in the immediate area that one can think of which have nearly as much rooftop space, while also being close enough to ground level to allow reasonable access.

While the condo amenity space is proposed to be on the same level as the garden space, the private amenities are entirely internalized within the floor plate of the tower itself. What's proposed for the rest of the area are a series of smaller programmed spaces including landscaped gardens, a running track, a tennis court, and the ability to convert part of the space into a skating rink during the cold months.

The project also proposes to make some improvements to the laneway in behind the complex, specifically by internalizing all loading functions, in conjunction with the Cumberland Terrace proposal to the north, helping to improve vehicular flow. The proposal also sees loading access happening exclusively from Bay Street, to avoid trucks having to navigate the increasingly congested Bloor Street.

At the south east corner of the tower, the developer proposes to have a large glass-enclosed atrium forming the entrance to the retail and office components. They would like to see this component programed in a number of different ways, including fine dining, public art pieces, as well as the potential to host fashion runway events.

Passenger pickup and dropoff areas to both the commercial and condo components would occur immediately behind the atrium, and off the laneway.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:40 PM   #70
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
The podiums of 37 Yorkville and 50 Bloor are being redesigned/refined to create a kind of midblock pedestrian lane with the clocktower of the old Yorkville firehouse being the visual terminus.
Good that these projects are collaborating to create a more cohesive vision for the area.

Old July 10th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #71
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 679

dropped to 230 meters and 72 floors:

Innsertnamehere está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #72
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

reminds me of Deji Plaza