daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2015, 12:50 AM   #401
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3523

It is not being torn down. That train left the station. The tenant moved out, the american owner put it up for sale. One gentleman, Mr. Hasso Plattner, co owner of SAP called to by the building and to tear it down in public's behalf. As a donation of 20 - 30 million. The left liked the idea, back then, but hesitated with the idea to use bad money of the rich and proposed to do the same with tax money instead. Mr Plattner did not walked away, but improved his idea by the offer to build a small one or two story building to publicly display his collection of sowjet East German art as peace offer. The former communists rallied against him, which caused a rally of supporters. Someone stated the rumor of a dead thread. Anyway, the story ended that Mr. Plattner accused the government leaders, including the other parties, of not making an open scene or putting themselves at distance during the fight. Not backing him up.
The building has a new owner and a new hotel tenant by now.

Photodash liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2015, 02:32 PM   #402
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

I really hate those cities that ruin their potential just because of ideology or politics. Prewar Potsdam was one of the most beautiful cities in Germany. All those grand buildings and palaces are not being reconstructed just because they don't want to "become a Prussian Disneyland" or they don't want to erase the new identity of the city. What the hell?! Those old buildings ARE YOUR IDENTITY and you're erasing it by not reconstructing them. And for those that say reconstructing old buildings is rewritting history, their demolition is rewritting history in the worst way as cities that are more than thousand years old lost everything they've accomplished in that period. Be rational, people, and do the right thing.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 05:21 PM   #403
The Eagle

Time for new pictures:
Palazzo Pompei

Fresh marble, looks nice:

I wonder sometimes, what they did with the stone after the demolition back then!

I love that door:

source of the pictures is user Spreetunnel, thanks
Old July 2nd, 2015, 05:31 PM   #404
The Eagle

Now some updates for the Palazzo Chiericati:

These Festos do not exist on the original building in Italy

You can look for the "spot to be" He he

source approved by Spreetunnel from ApH Forum
Old July 2nd, 2015, 08:21 PM   #405
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Is the building next to Palazzo Pompei reconstruction or a postmodern building? It looks to me that it's not a reconstruction.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:23 PM   #406
The Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Is the building next to Palazzo Pompei reconstruction or a postmodern building? It looks to me that it's not a reconstruction.
You are right. The new building is neoclassical on the same plot.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:39 PM   #407
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
It is not being torn down. That train left the station. The tenant moved out, the american owner put it up for sale. One gentleman, Mr. Hasso Plattner, co owner of SAP called to by the building and to tear it down in public's behalf. As a donation of 20 - 30 million. The left liked the idea, back then, but hesitated with the idea to use bad money of the rich and proposed to do the same with tax money instead. Mr Plattner did not walked away, but improved his idea by the offer to build a small one or two story building to publicly display his collection of sowjet East German art as peace offer. The former communists rallied against him, which caused a rally of supporters. Someone stated the rumor of a dead thread. Anyway, the story ended that Mr. Plattner accused the government leaders, including the other parties, of not making an open scene or putting themselves at distance during the fight. Not backing him up.
The building has a new owner and a new hotel tenant by now.
As has been stated so often, the far left suffers from a group mental disorder. It's unimaginable that a hugely generous gift from a hugely generous donor would be turned down because the donor is too successful. That's why Atlas Shrugged.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:59 AM   #408
Photodash

Likes (Received): 256

It is very good to see these buildings rise again. Unfortunate that there is nay-saying, and negative sentiment as though Germany does not deserve to have its lost architectural glories restored. The loss of the original buildings was a loss to Europe and the word in general, and the recreations represent a service being done to humanity. I don't see any point quibbling about the use of modern building techniques and materials in parts that will not be visible, as if the original architects would not have used these if they had been available. What matters is restoring the aesthetic, the over-all vision.
Old July 7th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #409
The Eagle

I like to show here a very nice renovation. Actually, the building had already collapsed.
The Villa Schoening, was build 1826. In the years 1843 to 1845 it was redone with star architect Ludwig Persius. The house is located right on former Reichsstrasse nr. 1

The last occupant, a lady called Hildegard Wallich died in there 1989 with the age of 101. After that, the property had fallen on hard times.
The bridge in front, you see, was the most important crossing here, become German - German border crossing with guns and tanks! This bridge was used in several movie like agent to agent exchanges!

The border made the property worthless. New owners rebuild the villa starting 2007
Many properties in the former DDR have the problem of not knowing the exact ownership
Since the DDR ironically took and sold land like so.
The turnout is stunning. The Bridge [Glienicke Bruecke] is to be seen in one of Stephen Spielberg's new movie

The lake in the background

Here you can finally see the bridge. Illegal crossings where shot at. The old lady in 1989 died only months before the border come down at age 101.

source:Spreetunnel
Wikipedia this one:

The border has been opened and people don't believe it first:

Jozef77 liked this post
Old July 18th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #410
Jozef77

Likes (Received): 401

Barberini is making progress

robertwood liked this post
Jozef77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 08:55 PM   #411
The Eagle

I also like to report about to first renovation of the Schloss "Cecilienhof" witch started last year. It was the latest castle for the Kaiser family. Named after Cecilie, The wife of prince Wilhelm. She was born in Cumberland, England. The construction started 1913 after the wedding. Finished 2018 there will be 10 000 Sq m of facade redone and 6000 sq m roof. The Schloss was build in English Tudor style. One room inside is shaped like a ship interior, since Cecilie liked the ocean!
1 sq m = 11 sq feet.

source wikipedia

pics from potdam-fan

Jozef77, arac liked this post
Old July 21st, 2015, 09:12 PM   #412
The Eagle

I also like to report of another reconstruction. This one is also a private one.
"Keller Tor Wache" is the name. It was a gatehouse for the canal going throe the town wall
It will be rebuild with it's 250 sq m 2750 sq ft as residence.

The remains to this day:

pic from potsdam-fan

pic from Brandenburger
The location:

This is the original town Wall

Thanks, potsdam-fan
Waterfront, the other side. Not bad, downtown, too!

Jozef77, cilindr0, Mruczek liked this post
Old July 21st, 2015, 09:17 PM   #413
The Eagle

The Gatehouse reconstruction:
1920's

from Konstantindegeer

The stone crown will be different due to money:-(

Jozef77, JustinHerman liked this post
Old July 21st, 2015, 10:25 PM   #414
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

It seems to me that Potsdam is doing a lot of these smaller reconstruction projects, which I find amazing since the beauty can be in small details, too.

I've read somewhere that the City Canal will be reconstructed, but what about those grand buildings lining it? Are there any plans for them to be reconstructed?
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:24 PM   #415
Jozef77

Likes (Received): 401

amazing how many reconstructions are going on in Potsdam.

Question: i read some month ago that they will tear down that high rise in the background which is the mercur hotel if im not mistaken. is that true?
Jozef77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 02:58 PM   #416
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

The gatehouse reconstruction will be wonderful!
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:57 PM   #417
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
I also like to report about to first renovation of the Schloss "Cecilienhof" witch started last year. It was the latest castle for the Kaiser family. Named after Cecilie, The wife of prince Wilhelm. She was born in Cumberland, England. The construction started 1913 after the wedding. Finished 2018 there will be 10 000 Sq m of facade redone and 6000 sq m roof. The Schloss was build in English Tudor style. One room inside is shaped like a ship interior, since Cecilie liked the ocean!
1 sq m = 11 sq feet.

source wikipedia

pics from potdam-fan
Thanks for the photos and update. Cecilie was actually born in Schwerin to the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. The wedding in 1913 you refer to must be the wedding of Viktoria Luise, the Kaiser's only daughter, to Ernst August of Hannover. His great grandfather was granted the title of Duke of Cumberland (and inherited by Ernst August) as the fifth son of George III of Great Britain. But Ernst August lost the title when it was eliminated in the Titles Deprivations Act of 1917.

Cecilie's home in Potsdam was a gift from Wilhelm II in 1912 (construction started just before the war in 1914) as a proper country home for the heir (her husband) to the throne. It incorporates various designs including Tudor as well as German half timber. One of the last of this type of large, royal country homes.

The Hohenzollern family were never compensated for the loss of this property, but the fact that it escaped major damage and destruction is the good news.

The Eagle liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #418
Torontonia

Likes (Received): 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
It seems to me that Potsdam is doing a lot of these smaller reconstruction projects, which I find amazing since the beauty can be in small details, too.

I've read somewhere that the City Canal will be reconstructed, but what about those grand buildings lining it? Are there any plans for them to be reconstructed?
Beauty is represented in a lot of smaller things, and I just - like you - love it when cities reconstruct smaller gems in order to gain some of their history back. It's something other cities like Cologne (Hohe Strasse, which really needs it IMHO) and Essen should do. Reconstruct some stuff here and there and it will have a great effect on the streetscapes. I read somewhere too that Cologne is gonna (partially) rebuild neighborhoods around the old romanesque churches, too? At least around the St Gereonskirche..... maybe I can find a link.

Titan Man, Fudgis liked this post
Torontonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #419
The Eagle

Thank You, Keepthepast! Your response is stunning. I admit you are right. The Kaisers daughter married into English. Ernst August of Hannover was living at that time in England and come back to Germany. Seems I was under time pressure like I usually am.
Old July 30th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #420
The Eagle

This was recently rebuilt as well. Rebuild by the department that runs the castles and parks of potsdam. Located on Sanssouci, the private castles ground, used for outside music performances like again today!

next to this, castle Sanssouci:

source: arjunalistened on Flicker

Tags
potsdam, reconstruction