daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #481
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 944

Guys, is there an architecture direction caned Ruinism?

Believe in architecture..........
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #482
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Thank you very much people! Absolutely great to hear this kind of feedback. Yes, I am in Halifax Nova Scotia. The pictures are from people I have kindly asked to provide me with pictures. Those people need to be honored, too. In fact I have some amazing pics, which I can not use right now or show, because I have no approval from those diferent owners just jet. If everything works out, we will have some wow factors!

Thank you. Time is also some issue. I am 33 Years old and have two jobs like everyone on Canada's poor east cost;-)

And now to the news and surprises: I know of at least 10 more reconstructions not jet mentioned in this thread! Lots of pictures to fallow! Stay tuned.

If loading time of some older computer call for viewer pics per page, please feel free to mention it. If someone else like to post some pics, you are welcome.
I'm glad you are getting positive feedback. I, for one, really enjoy seeing what is going on in Potsdam and Dresden and I appreciate your efforts and those of your German contact. I wondered how you got those updates all the way from Halifax, N.S. You know, the funny thing is when I look at this and the Dresden thread I don't feel like I'm looking at something that belongs to someone else. Somehow I feel like a sense of belonging to these places and I think you would understand that feeling. When good things happen there I feel joy.

keepthepast, The Eagle, Zaz965 liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:33 AM   #483
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by paderwan View Post

Not to post off topic, but how taboo is it in Germany to have memorials for their dead soldiers? Other axis countries like Japan and Italy have many and you would think you could separate the soldiers from the political entities that caused the war. Always surprised me how tolerant people were to the big soviet monuments in Berlin and area, I couldn't imagine large U.S. War memorials in Tokyo going over well.

Really looking forward to seeing the canal filled.

Zaz965 liked this post
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:54 PM   #484
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden5573 View Post
Not to post off topic, but how taboo is it in Germany to have memorials for their dead soldiers? Other axis countries like Japan and Italy have many and you would think you could separate the soldiers from the political entities that caused the war. Always surprised me how tolerant people were to the big soviet monuments in Berlin and area, I couldn't imagine large U.S. War memorials in Tokyo going over well.
Not really a taboo here. That would be horrible, to not honor the people, who died for our country (regardless of the kind of regime they were fighting for). There are many WWI memorials to dead soldiers and also memorials to the WWII's dead. Sometimes they're joined. They are rather low key though and naturally not that pompous, tasteless and kitschy. They are for mourning and remembering the soldiers, not for honoring, even glorifying them, like the Soviets did. They are often to be found in/or around cemeteries, churches or city halls. Some WWI memorials are also to be found as larger monuments, mostly in smaller towns. Sometimes even in town center/on the market square.
Even the Queen of England recently lay down a wreath at Germany's central memorial to the dead of WWII. It's also dedicated to the unknown soldier.

Back then the people in Berlin had no say over the Soviet memorials, they were forced upon them by the victors and when Germany reunited and the Soviets left the country, we promised to keep them and also keep them in good nick. So, that's that. They are also a great tourist attraction.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; September 1st, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 03:24 PM   #485
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

I've always been saddened at the "low key" nature of German war memorials. As a tourist, one is hard pressed to even find them. Cemeteries are obvious places for such, but notable, focal point type memorials that are on the guided tours are hard to find and rare to see.

I personally loath the soviet memorial near the Reichstag. Had it not the tanks and weaponry, it may be less offensive.

It also seems there is a need in all people/nations to work through the process of mourning, loss, regret, and grief. Having symbols and centerpoints, such as memorials, assist in that process, and Germany seems to have been denied the need to do so in many ways. Rather, the world seems to want to maintain the guilt process instead of the moving forward process.

I have designed a WWII memorial that would look great in the Tiergarten, by the by.

Zaz965 liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:21 AM   #486
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1644

As Tiaren allready mentioned, we have our war memorials for "mourning and remembering the soldiers, not for honoring, even glorifying them" like other nations do. I pretty like that fact, that we do not have to remind us at large scale how many large an glorious battles we fought. We know we did. Remembering our soldiers and the people who died in the wars for our country in humility is much more honorable to their sacrifice.

erbse, Tiaren, Zaz965 liked this post
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 04:08 PM   #487
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

That's how I feel about large reconstruction projects, like those in Dresden, Berlin or Potsdam. Every reconstruction project in those cities has something new "forced" upon them. For instance, there are many postmodern (new) buildings built on Neumarkt and in Potsdam, and also one of the sides of the Berliner Stadtschloss is modernist. And all that just because we "need" to know those are actually reconstructions, not the original buildings. I think it's quite stupid to implement that logic, especially when you compare these projects with projects in Poland, like Warsaw and Gdansk. Reconstruction of Warsaw was completely "authentic". Original exteriors, building techniques (and even interiors, if I'm correct). The Old Town looks exactly as it looked before war. But still, 50 years after the reconstruction, everyone knows those are not "original" buildings. It's widely known that Warsaw was reconstructed, and they didn't build modern buildings here or there to show people they reconstructed it. The reconstruction is a part of history of those cities, and everybody knows it. People don't need trashy reminders of it. That's the only mistake German cities are doing in their reconstruction projects, and it will be rather expensive to fix it if they ever think of it.

robertwood, Zaz965 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:26 PM   #488
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1644

Quote:
Reconstruction of Warsaw was completely "authentic"
No they are not. Especially the burgoise city palaces where rebuild in a somewhat "downsized" way to please the working class society

Zaz965 liked this post
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:04 PM   #489
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
No they are not. Especially the burgoise city palaces where rebuild in a somewhat "downsized" way to please the working class society
Oh, I didn't know that. But it still looks quite the same as it looked before war (except for the cathedral) and you can still see where I was going.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2015, 12:01 AM   #490
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7410

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post

I've always been saddened at the "low key" nature of German war memorials. As a tourist, one is hard pressed to even find them. Cemeteries are obvious places for such, but notable, focal point type memorials that are on the guided tours are hard to find and rare to see.
The Victory columne is a war memorial too.

Zaz965 liked this post
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #491
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3523

So, to like or not to like ruins is the question?
Give them locals same some break, people! They don't want to be embarrassed by darkened ruins.

This is another fake ruin. Well, freschly renovated ruin by that. Well, really like a still used "fake" renovated ruin. Germans must like it perfect!
It is located at the park "Neuer Garten" and hosts the kitchen for a castle called "Marmorpalais" and was build 1787 - 92. The kitchen looks like a sunken roman temple and is connected by a tunnel to the schloss. Amazing. Enjoy

You can see the tunnel going out

Lake frontage!

source: unify
"Build 1789/90 with some distance to the schloss because the kitchen smell"
Wish that I have problems like this!

City Cityzen, cilindr0, Jozef77, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by The Eagle; September 4th, 2015 at 02:52 AM.
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 03:03 AM   #492
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3523

The Schloss Marmorpalais

Look at the floors! The floors. Every floor is diferent!!

The marble! All that marble! Have I mentioned them floors!

The metall works with the marble well. They avoided going overboard.

Source thanks Spreetunnel!
Old September 4th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #493
paderwan

Likes (Received): 2968

New from the center!

Old September 4th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #494
paderwan

Old September 4th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #495
paderwan

Old September 5th, 2015, 01:46 AM   #496
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

Wow!!!

Zaz965 liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #497
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

If anyone ever talks against reconstructions to me, I'll just show him/her these pictures.

robertwood, Zaz965, TM_Germany liked this post
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:20 AM   #498
jswierc1

Likes (Received): 15

Absolutely stunning!
jswierc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #499
Bavarian Angelshark
Modernism sucks

Likes (Received): 1434

Awesome!