daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #521
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3523

Let's talk about another reconstruction. Not mentioned here before. Getting mixed up? That is good

There has been a Plattenbau removed. This one in the middle:

pick from wikipedia
after the demolition from 2011

picks approved by unify

The box in the back will also demolished for the church reconstruction
The box we are standing on, will also demolished

picks from Platinir

And this is what they are going to rebuild! The entire intersection!
The intersection is called 8 Ecken, because there are eight corners. Ecke = Corner

The gray buildings already exist:

source Astrempardo
The intersection in the middle with the red still standing

source potsdam-fan

Bosi, Titan Man, erbse, soren5en, Opulentus and 3 others liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #522
The Eagle

And the next reconstruction update.
It's the little Lust-Garten called park by the Mercure Hotel and reconstructed Stadtschloss
There is an little organization, collecting money for the rebuild of all.
This happened in 2014. The statues are very, very expansive!

Back again: "Triton" #9 of Neptune's group

source Konstantindegeer
It was really a nice party afterwards! many people came out.
Two associations called for a get together. The Rotary club Potsdam Alter Markt and Foerder Gesellschaft zum wiederaufbau der Neptun Gruppe

What the heck is he just blowing around?

Took a little bit longer, so it was done in the evening.

The statue was damaged during the war. Not anymore!

music playing in the background
The horses will be reconstructed next. Someone donated 100 000 for them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Jzcr3fZ2WU#t=0
approved by potsdam-fan
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #523
The Eagle

If you like to follow me to the update of the new shipping terminal:
We stay in the Lustgarten. The owner of the ship fleet "Weisse Flotte" is putting up a new service terminal. picks May 2015

approved by user Speetunnel

Titan Man, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #524
Bosi

Likes (Received): 71

Potsdam is on steroids!! :O

Zaz965 liked this post
Bosi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #525
The Eagle

Let's take a walk at the Neuer Garten Park!

The Park has three castles and 100 other structures. "He" is also flanked by unbelievable buildings by it's borders.....
This is Cecilienhof

Build started 1913. Has not been mayorly renovated since

British tudor style...

The reconstructed library, already introduced pages before....

Egyptian tomb. Used as ice shelter.

fake Hieroglyphs. Someone said back then that it was getting harder finding usefulness for the kings building collection..

The castle Marmorpalais. The "peaceful" DDR used it to show wappens like tanks and bomber plains...

If you like to discover Potsdam, take a boat. You can rent your own boat for 30 Euro a day and
sleep on it with your whole group. There are even open fire pits on them boats! Everything can be reached by water. Potsdam has 30 lakes or so
plus canals and rivers......

Marble Palais again...

This is another reconstruction. Finished two or three years ago.
It was an Einsiedler' home. You know someone who wants to get away from civilisation and lives
somewhere in nowhere. Well here it was copied. There was a payed fake hermit living in here.
The rebuild is spectacular! The house is clad in tree bark!

Also out of tree bark, the tree bark kitchen. Please don't mix them up. I do.
Was just a short fashion. It's doors are clad in treebark, too.

Next the second Dutch quarter. The trees make it look bigger. They know what they where doing, respect!

Storage buildings can be nice, too

The already shown kitchen. It's hard to tell if it is renovated or not;-)

the grotto!! Will be fixed soon!

The gothic library at the Jungfernsee
as you can see, it's a lust building. Meaning there is no purpose.
It has no doors or windows and any passerby can enter for free.....

The German - German border. Thanks used to block it of. Used only for agent exchange......
Used to be Reichsstrasse one.

Thanks to unify!
Old September 20th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #526
The Eagle

I think, I made a mistake. I think there are four castles, not three and a castle that is not a castle but looks like one and has a castles size......

Anyway...... If you follow me, please. We are about to find out.
There is also a Russian village with 15 houses and a orthodox church of course.
It was build for the visit of Zar Alexander. he was delighted!
Probably too good to point out the missing link between Robinson being rescued from his
island after years and first offered a coconut "because he is used to it"
Btw. After Alexsander they named Alexander Platz or square in downtown Berlin.
The Zar donated a copy of St. Petersburg's Horse monument for the front of Berlin Schloss. There is an argument putting it back to the front of the Schloss.

The colony "Alexandrowka" with the church Alexandro-Newski. Many Sowjets got married here.

The buildings are owned and rented by parks Potsdam. Some wait for renovation.
This one is not complete as you can see:

This one is complete:

Thanks, unify

Let's move through the park to the castle, that is no castle.
It is another lust building and called "Belvedere auf den Pfingstberg"
There are several Belvedere here, so you have to watch it.
On our way there:

The ice keller from 1790

The Marmorpalais from 1787 - 92

The Architects where Contard and Langhans d. A.

Nikolai Church downtown

Another building experiment: The Schindlhaus by Krueger 1790

Villa Quand. Living right by the park is very fashionable

This is used today as offices for the international Fontaine archive
That is today's Potsdams economy: International Associations and Organizations are
headquartered not in Berlin, no instead here in Potsdam. Germany's secret capital! Later more to that.....
This little Temple was build by famous K. F. Schinkel one of two most famous architects of the 19th century
It's used as a toilet. Well.....whatever. At least it's used.
It is another reconstruction. Rebuild in the 1990's

Now we have arrived to our target: The Pfingstberg. It's huge.....

Build by Persius (Germany's #3), Stueler and Hesse. Between 1847 - 52 and 1860 - 63. Never finished completely....

It is not really a castle, no windows. A Lust-build in Greek!

A picture from Gaertner 1865

Thanks Palantir APH forum

Titan Man, erbse, soren5en, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 20th, 2015, 01:31 AM   #527
The Eagle

The first plan. Not realized.

No water, because renovations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=AzOC3swKIVA
source Palantir, thank you

Titan Man, erbse, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 20th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #528
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

It's so unbelievable that a city like Potsdam is doing so much renovations and reconstructions, especially when you consider that it's a former commmunist town of medium size overshadowed by its big brother Berlin. I'm also surprised that the city is demolishing commie buildings for reconstructions, we haven't seen that (yet) in Dresden.

Zaz965 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #529
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58020

Dresden also has torn down commie buildings for reconstructions, such as the former police HQ annex at Neumarkt (where now Quartier III is).

As for Potsdam: It truly is the Prussian Arcadia, so full of magic and discovery.
And it's getting better each and every day!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #530
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Dresden also has torn down commie buildings for reconstructions, such as the former police HQ annex at Neumarkt (where now Quartier III is).

As for Potsdam: It truly is the Prussian Arcadia, so full of magic and discovery.
And it's getting better each and every day!
I meant residential commieblocks. It's complicated for a smaller, post-communist city like Potsdam to move people out of their homes, but it's worth it when you see the result. Potsdam is turning into a real beauty, despite all the destruction it faced.

Will the buildings on the 8 Ecken intersection be reconstructed? It seems to me that the plans show a somewhat wider street, which eliminates historical reconstruction. It would be stupid since it was one of the most interesting places of prewar Potsdam.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 20th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #531
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7411

Dresden simply does not have typical commieblocks in the inner city center, where most of the reconstruction is done. The Neumarkt area was, except for the police building, empty since 1945. The Hilton hotel was already built in typical DDR postmodernism.

http://www.irs-net.de/profil/wissens...ngen/willmann/

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Saxonia; September 20th, 2015 at 07:58 PM.
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #532
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5551

Thanks for these great updates!
Man, I still can't get over this AnOldBlackMarbel guy jumping in here and likening the reconstruction efforts to Skopje. So ignorant as well as offensive at the same time...

Titan Man, Steve Gatlin, Zaz965 liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #533
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Would you not consider the entire areas west and south of Postplatz, Pragerstrasse from the hauptbahnhof north, the east and west sides of kulturpalast along Wilsdruferstrasse to be inner city center? These parts are filled with commie blocks, and particularly ugly ones at that.

keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #534
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Thanks for these great updates!
Man, I still can't get over this AnOldBlackMarbel guy jumping in here and likening the reconstruction efforts to Skopje. So ignorant as well as offensive at the same time...
Well, you shouldn't be, especially because few of the forumers, including you, explained to him why he was wrong and he understood it. Now we have one more supporter of reconstructions.

Just a year ago I couldn't imagine myself supporting reconstructions of destroyed buildings or building new buildings in old style. I was all for glass and new. I even imagined the old area of my beautiful little town (it's not Zadar ) being replaced by simple, glass boxes. Then I visited Zagreb in November of 2014. I've been there before, but I didn't actually pay attention to the old buildings. I was just stunned with all those historicist buildings lined in perfect harmony. It was winter, so it added more charm and beauty to it. I began investigating historical architecture, and one thing led to another, I found Dresden's thread. It was mindblowing to me and it completely changed my view of architecture. Now I support all kinds of reconstructions. It's funny, how a hardcore modernist can turn pro-reconstruction by just SEEING old buildings. That tells you something. Although, I still like exciting modern architecture, when it's not out of context and disrespectful to the history of the cities.

Tiaren, Tolbert, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 20th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #535
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7411

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post

Would you not consider the entire areas west and south of Postplatz, Pragerstrasse from the hauptbahnhof north, the east and west sides of kulturpalast along Wilsdruferstrasse to be inner city center? These parts are filled with commie blocks, and particularly ugly ones at that.
No, the inner city center is what we would call Altstadt in German. The pre industrial, once walled city core. The buildings along the Wilsdruffer Staße are not "commie blocks". At least not in the sense of "Plattenbau" as I understand this exclusevily english and actually not very helpful term. They were bult in a conventional way.

Tolbert, Zaz965 liked this post
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #536
The Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
It's so unbelievable that a city like Potsdam is doing so much renovations and reconstructions, especially when you consider that it's a former commmunist town of medium size overshadowed by its big brother Berlin. I'm also surprised that the city is demolishing commie buildings for reconstructions, we haven't seen that (yet) in Dresden.
Potsdam is expected to increase from 120 000 to 160 000 inhabitants. It's economy was castle building and maintenance, the court of course and wealthy families cottages. Military was very big and a little bit of light industrial. After the first war the city got kinda forgotten. The Reich had no stronghold in Potsdam, but the movies in Babelsberg made good money nearby, since the people where Kaiser supporters. The communists had no support whatsoever. The DDR started a replacement of people. Mechanics for example, would get a good job offer and a apartment somewhere. Let's say Magdeburg. Communist supporters would get some science job, apartment for the family in Potsdam. Funny questions could cause cancellation the approval of this year's hotel vacation in Hungary by your family or the telephone connection you ordered three years ago will take another three years.

Today the military is closed down. The target would be too close to Berlin. Cottages for rich Berliners is one economy. Tourism is growing but in infant stage. In Babelsberg close by are the filmindusty of the Babelsberg Film Studios. The studios are hiring ever more. The Airport in close by Schoenefeld will create then thousand jobs once it opens. Computer, Shipping and Amusement Parks are opening. But the biggest economy are international clients like the HQ for the Red Cross or the International teachers union or other international associations. Hundreds of them. It's a sellers market.

erbse, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:05 AM   #537
The Eagle

I like to show Ladies and Gentlemen now a reconstruction from the Potsdam Neumarkt.
This is a very interesting one! The Neumarkt had lost only two structures on it's north side.
The Market is home to diferent scientific institutions like for Jewish studies or for the history
of Prussia. The northside was filled with the Neumarkt 5. An almost reconstruction, But a very, very good one at that. See yourself and decide:

With the glass is Neumarkt 5. A reconstruction

It was reconstructed between 1998 and 2003 with help from a young woman Nicola Fortmann, Architect

The one on the right

Neumarkt 1

source wikipedia

This building used to hold a bookpress

On the right you see the new Stall for his majesties carriages. Today the Filmmuseum

The second new build. The sign give direction to diferent institutions.

Used to be the kings scale on it's place for beer making ingredients. The DDR had no money for upkeep.

Approved, thanks Potsdam-fan

cilindr0, erbse, Jozef77, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by The Eagle; September 21st, 2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old September 24th, 2015, 06:36 PM   #538
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
And this is what they are going to rebuild! The entire intersection!
The intersection is called 8 Ecken, because there are eight corners.
A very interesting info but I'm not sure I get it.
As far as I see part of what is going to be rebuilt (four of eight corners ) is occupied by a highway now. Do they plan to demolish the highway or what?

Zaz965 liked this post
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #539
Hertog

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_P View Post
A very interesting info but I'm not sure I get it.
As far as I see part of what is going to be rebuilt (four of eight corners ) is occupied by a highway now. Do they plan to demolish the highway or what?
At the map, two of the four corner buildings are listed as '3' which is explained as something like 'on an altered location'. So if I understand it correctly, they are rebuilding those two on a (slightly) different location to account for the highway.

Thanks for your 'tours', The Eagle. Potsdam looks great, will look even better and I am amazed that every new 'tour' there are some new reconstructions to be discovered.

I also quite like the glass building, which goes to show that you can build a modernist take on an old building and have it not be terrible. Someone should really go and tell Dresden and Frankfurt.

Zaz965 liked this post
Hertog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #540
paderwan

Likes (Received): 2968

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Potsdam is expected to increase from 120 000 to 160 000 inhabitants.
We are already above 160000 and rising sharply. The housing market is getting more expensive every day.

Zaz965 liked this post
paderwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
potsdam, reconstruction