daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:13 PM   #661
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3769

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post

It's more chipping than natural patina affect...which just looks under-maintained. Paint really doesn't patina; the painter actually needs to create a patina look with paint to achieve the old, worn, appeal. I'd be happy to show up with my paint bucket and brush to help out.

Do people actually know how the real patina comes around?

The builders cover the walls with stucco or Putz in German. The paint is mixed in the stucco already, so there is no repainting required.
The Plaster, as called in English, weathers down over the years and takes little grains of the wall. The new paint is exposed.

To save the expansive paint, most buildings are plastered in two layers. A white thick one and a thin colored one on top, for better shine on the white. In Italy, where the weather is dry, houses sometimes get redone only every hundred years or so. That is what I call efficient!

Fudgis liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:33 PM   #662
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1817

Interesting! Thanks for the information!
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #663
hotwheels123

Likes (Received): 316

Potsdam has to be one of the best places to visit when in the Berlin area!

erbse, TimothyR liked this post
hotwheels123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:13 AM   #664
The Eagle

Now we shall conduct an little update of all construction happening.

The new Post building is coming

We move closer

There is still an argument about the buildings color to be

thanks Potsdam-fan
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:26 AM   #665
The Eagle

The new build in that little park by the Stadtschloss for the boats of the white fleet
The park is called lust garten.

source of pictures Potsdam-fan
Old May 31st, 2016, 01:12 AM   #666
The Eagle

It looks like the next building build will be the former hotel zum Einsiedler.
The new building will be used as a bank branch of the Sparkasse

before

maybe

close by

source is from Konstantindegeer, thanks

The #1

The other side of the market could continue like this:

Jozef77, keepthepast, City Cityzen liked this post
Old May 31st, 2016, 01:50 AM   #667
The Eagle

Update on the Keller Tor build

On the right is the second citywall. The red building in the back is the main fire station
The port has some ships from the white fleet. I recommend using their ships when you visit town. Most places can be reached by water.

I have another little side kick: The renovation of this 1920's building. It has become a community center once again.

source Potsdam-fan

It`s not downtown but I like to share the beautiful outcome

Also this beautiful building will be put back to use.

It is a hundred year old sport center!
will get a extension

The brand new extension is going to be in 20's Bauhaus style

There was this idea. It was not chosen

Potsdam-fan
Old May 31st, 2016, 10:58 PM   #668
The Eagle

Hello everyone back!

The rebuilding of the Neptune Grotto is moving sloooooow
It's located in the Sanssouci Park

The court around the picture gallery is completely ripped up! Disaster all around! Chinese running in complete shock one way, Russians away the other! All in complete panic!

The inside is loaded with priceless paintings!

Schloss Sanssouci is next of it

source, thanks Brandenburger!

robertwood, MunichFRank, erbse, Bosi, hercre and 3 others liked this post
Old June 1st, 2016, 12:09 AM   #669
The Eagle

If Everyone likes this, I would like to introduce another reconstruction not mentioned here before. It is a interior reconstruction that took the last 20 - 25 Years! The build comes with quite some spectacular history

We will visit a church. A church with a history like no other. Literally like no other.
It has this goose bump scary factor some tourists come to love. Not the locals, doe.

We will visit the Church in Sacrow. The name is "Hailands kirche" in Sacrow.

The history goes like this: King Friedrich Wilhelm the fourth commissions a church in Italian roman style with separate clock tower. 1844 the church was finished and decorated with tiles outside.
One of the Bells is 600 Years old from 1406. The property also has a big farm that was supplying the court and is known as Schloss Sacrow.

At the year 1897 two scientists mounted Germanys first cell phone antenna in the tower. The messages where transmitted across the lake to the Norwegian colony.

1945 The church had lost one of the bells. 1945 The church ended up right on top of the German, German border.
In the following years the church community has been banned by the devil and watched the border been transformed in to the death-strip.
Starting 1961 the tower became the watchtower for non local snipers to watch the death-strip. Also, the grass was removed to see foot prints and explosives and mines where put, witch killed some wildlife. The roof was simplified to save money when due to replacement 1985. The furniture inside where ripped out and burned, because the international solders where having second thoughts.

1990, The sun come out and the community was allowed back in for the first time. But there was the shock and joy very close by. Reconstruction was started by cleaning the very first day by crying locals. I like to drink on them!

Also 1990 The Parks of Potsdam, Sacrow belongs to that, was listed in the list as world heritage side of UNESCO

From Park Babelsberg

1980's insanity

https://youtu.be/2pUUpKWJneY

https://youtu.be/ej42QMpdtvg

picks: Wikipedia

Last edited by The Eagle; June 19th, 2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old June 1st, 2016, 04:34 AM   #670
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Hello everyone back!

The rebuilding of the Neptune Grotto is moving sloooooow
It's located in the Sanssouci Park

source, thanks Brandenburger!
Sanssouci Park is hauntingly beautiful - I had a strong sense of history there, and the closeness of the past. Powerful and numinous and mysterious. I cannot convey the experience in words.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:12 PM   #671
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5619

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post
Sanssouci Park is hauntingly beautiful - I had a strong sense of history there, and the closeness of the past. Powerful and numinous and mysterious. I cannot convey the experience in words.
Sanssouci is in my humble opinion the most beautiful park of it's kind in Europe. Yes, there are bigger parks with bigger palaces (even though the Neues Palais is pretty impressive in size as well) like Versailles or Peterhof or Schönbrunn or Caserta, but the park of Sanssouci and it's palaces are imho much more refined and designed with so much love to detail. It feels so much more intimate than other royal estates. The spirit of it's royal inhabitants, who designed much of what we see today themselves, still lingers there and at any moment they could emerge behind a hedge or statue and bump into you.

Titan Man, TimothyR liked this post
Tiaren está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 04:31 AM   #672
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels123 View Post
It is wonderful. It has charm and warmth and intimacy, as well as beautiful and fascinating architecture. It is of great historical interest. It combines splendor with classic taste and modest, formal charm.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis
Old June 3rd, 2016, 04:47 AM   #673
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Sanssouci is in my humble opinion the most beautiful park of it's kind in Europe. Yes, there are bigger parks with bigger palaces (even though the Neues Palais is pretty impressive in size as well) like Versailles or Peterhof or Schönbrunn or Caserta, but the park of Sanssouci and it's palaces are imho much more refined and designed with so much love to detail. It feels so much more intimate than other royal estates. The spirit of it's royal inhabitants, who designed much of what we see today themselves, still lingers there and at any moment they could emerge behind a hedge or statue and bump into you.
Yes - precisely. It is enchanting, and yet it remains on a personal level.

I went there with friends from Berlin on a mild winter day. There were very few people. I found gardens, lawns, pavilions, a small temple, a ballroom, fountains, all arranged with taste but presented in such a way that discovering them was a surprise.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Tiaren liked this post
Old June 3rd, 2016, 06:53 PM   #674
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5619

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels123 View Post
Indeed, Potsdam is what Versailles is to Paris or Windsor is to London. You should really visit these places to get the full picture of these cities' history and culture. Especially if you are interested in their royal past. Here too I would be so bold to say Potsdam as a whole is more interesting and beautiful than Versailles and Windsor. It is a proud, fairly big city with it's own distinctive charm. Lucky for us all, it is well preserved. The only area that was really affected by destruction in WWII is right now under reconstruction. In about 10 years Potsdam will be one of Germany's most beautiful and best preserved bigger cities again.

TM_Germany, The Eagle, erbse, Fudgis liked this post
Tiaren está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #675
Jozef77

Likes (Received): 403

around 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post

close by

Last edited by Jozef77; June 4th, 2016 at 08:10 PM.
Jozef77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:58 AM   #676
robertwood

Likes (Received): 321

What's cool is that everything to the right of that monument didn't even exist in 2010!

Jozef77, Roman_P liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 12:59 AM   #677
The Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post
Yes - precisely. It is enchanting, and yet it remains on a personal level.

I went there with friends from Berlin on a mild winter day. There were very few people. I found gardens, lawns, pavilions, a small temple, a ballroom, fountains, all arranged with taste but presented in such a way that discovering them was a surprise.
Winter is haunting good! Don`t you miss summer! The Potsdam Parks and Garden plants 10 000`s of flowers. They have a Nordic Garden, a English Garden, a French Garden, a Friendship Garden, a Rose Garden, Sicilian Garden and so on ........ Ah what the heck....I show You what you missed:

winter looks like this. Sicilian Garden

[img][/B]

Friendship Temple. The Medallions where recently added back

Winter at the Roman Baths. We will look at them at a later date.

Summer

The Roman Baths in Summer

The Roman Baths in Winter

And this is one! of the Parks greenhouses. The greenhouse is 800 meter long. It`s a eight hundred meter long greenhouse! That is times x3 = 2400 feet of natures wrath! Was build as a castle because his majesty complained that his castle collection is not sufficient, also he can`t live in them all. His worries I like to have. Anyway, That is our greenhouse!

Inside of course. Some plants are 150 Years old. Have to be replanted not so often as young ones but still every 10 Years or so.

terrace gardens winter

Some little lust temple somewhere

thanks`unify

Jozef77, Chadoh25, Titan Man, keepthepast liked this post

Last edited by The Eagle; June 19th, 2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old June 19th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #678
The Eagle

It`s summer, Showtime!

And this is the Sicilian garden in summer

winter

looking for washroom?

Also to recommend this little lust temple with stairs to the top for spectacular views.

Just happens to be inside like this, you know. Who would have known to look inside and find Roman Empire jewels?

Thanks` Spreetunnel!
Old June 19th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #679
robertwood

Likes (Received): 321

To The Eagle: I know I speak for many when I say thanks for the pictures and your comments. You have a wry sense of humor that I did not notice at first. Do you have any contacts in Frankfurt? The thread on the reconstructions there has not been updated since February and I'm sure progress is being made. Thanks!
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 05:11 AM   #680
The Eagle

You people are killing me! Ok. I am giving in if you guys like me to.

Who wants me to post pictures here of Frankfurts and Luebecks rebuild?
I will go and ask some people to get pictures here of those cities.
I can`t promise anything, especially the Frankfurt ones are hard to come by.
There are 20 people posting picks, but everyone shows up every six months or so.
I tried to get in contact with some before.

Tags
potsdam, reconstruction