daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #881
ELH

Likes (Received): 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven DL View Post
The Berliner Morgenpost writes about the reconstruction of the Garnisonskirche.

In my opinion it's quite sad that they brand the church as a "symbol of Prussian militarism" and put it into comparison with the "entry of the (right-conservative political party) AfD into parliament".
W.T.F.

Berliner Morgenpost, is that some kind of BS communist newspaper?

I didn´t see the need for any political positioning to be that radical and undifferentiated in Germany nowadays, and reacting to the AfD undifferentiated radicalism with a similar counter radicalism is just............well, the problem of german politics before the war was the lack of a strong, differentiated and non-radical center. So, I hope this reflects a VERY marginal part of the political spectrum.

Steven DL liked this post
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:43 PM   #882
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57840

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Horse View Post
I recently moved to beautiful Potsdam, (from London), & I've been following this excellent thread for a long time, but only just joined as a member. Hello everyone!
OK - to business... I hardly dare ask, (in case the answer is too depressing!), but does anyone know if there are plans to remove the horrendous concrete Hotel Mercure tower anytime soon...? Such an insensitive & ugly monster of a building.
Welcome then! Hope to read some of your impressions soon.

Regarding Hotel Mercure... there were plans to tear it down and build an art hall by philanthropist billionare Hasso Plattner of SAP. But as we know these didn't go through so he reconstructed Barberini Palace instead for his exhibitions. We'll have to live with the commie for some years still, but my bet it'll be gone by mid 2020s.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

3Horse liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 09:55 PM   #883
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3484

Only a couple more days and we will se the first visualizations of the new houses going up on the old market. The removal of more Plattenbauten will continue.

This picture we never had;

The "Staudenhof" Will be demolished around 2022

The streetlights will be demolished for the construction equipment. That is the reason for them shining. They like to see if they cut the right cable, seriously.

Potsdam-fan, thank You!
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #884
The Eagle

The "Brauerstrasse" is finally under construction. The business and residential houses are going to have new to new/traditional designs.

Construction of the "Buergerstadt" house;

From investor Mr. Lelbach

Next to Barberini. Witch made it this year to the second most visited museum in Germany! People came from Koeln and Hamburg to see the reconstruction. The first 150 000 people visited the museum before the collection had arrived! The took a look at the empty building inside!

View from the Barberini Terraces;

Potsdam-fan, thanks!
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #885
The Eagle

And we have just another reconstruction not mentioned here before!
There used to be a lived in gatehouse located at the entrance to the Boetcherbergpark. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_K...ttcherbergparkThis Park belongs to the Park Glienicke. The address is "Wannseestrasse 15" on the island of Wannsee, located itself in the lake of Wannsee.
The building has a name, too. It is called "Griebnitztor". This drawing is the original construction drawing from Mr. Persius, 1844

The building will be carefully made slightly bigger for modern comforts. They try to do that by building in former covered terraces.
The build had the tragic fate of being demolished 1961 to give way for the German - German death strip right on the border!
The building is not far away from the in Bavarian Style kept Gasthauses and the Swiss colony with the Swiss style houses.
In the 1950`s. The ground unkempt;

October 2017;

pictures, Wikipedia and APH user Konstantindegeer!

The project almost sneaked us by! But only "almost"! Lol

Last edited by The Eagle; November 5th, 2017 at 10:38 PM.
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #886
The Eagle

And now to something interesting and different. There are old military and industrial buildings on the outskirts of town. The real estate market is rescuing sometimes very interesting buildings. Like this: The build is called a Circus, because it is a round building that used to house a Locomotive factory. But see for yourself:

The picture up is from 1913. Most buildings are timberframe.

The former offices on the right;

I think, the building will become a office again. In the straight back the former trade school for employees;

Pictures from Potsdam-fan!
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #887
The Eagle

I have some interesting pictures here;
This is the situation right after the founding of Potsdam.
We see the later castle, the Stadtschloss and today building of Parliament. (Of Brandenburg) and 20 houses. That is it. The dark squares are the garden,

And here the same location right after the demolition of the Schloss;

thank you, Konstantindegeer.

And here the old "Burgstrasse"

Two houses still exist;

Burgstrasse 32/33;

1985, lived in. Shortage of housing;

Today;

Potsdam-fan.
Old November 13th, 2017, 02:19 AM   #888
robertwood

Likes (Received): 272

Please someone post pictures of the Plattenbauten as they tear that ugly thing down!

3Horse, The Eagle liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #889
Wiederschönmachung
Heil, Kaiser, dir!

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
Please someone post pictures of the Plattenbauten as they tear that ugly thing down!
Oh, that is a must see! One of those moments when you just gotta grab some popcorn, make yourself cozy in an armchair or something, and just enjoy the images, absorb every bit of the action! At the end, the level of satisfaction should dwarf any 0rgaz umm. But seriously, is the progress of the demolition even noticeable yet?

erbse, keepthepast, Bosi, 3Horse, robertwood and 1 others liked this post
Wiederschönmachung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:12 PM   #890
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiederschönmachung View Post
Oh, that is a must see! One of those moments when you just gotta grab some popcorn, make yourself cozy in an armchair or something, and just enjoy the images, absorb every bit of the action! At the end, the level of satisfaction should dwarf any 0rgaz umm. But seriously, is the progress of the demolition even noticeable yet?
Three weeks ago, the portable construction offices were being installed, the building is empty, and the area being cordoned off. I didn't see actual demolition work, but they're ready to start.

3Horse liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #891
The Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiederschönmachung View Post

Welcome Wiederschoenmachung to the Thread!

Don`t You worry, I will take care of your orgasm! I mean ....
That came out wrong. I meant to say that I try to give You popcorn worthy material! That is what I tried to say. But I love to know ..... I mean, I love that this thread helps peoples sex live! I know, that is not what You said, but that is what my girlfriend said. ?! Witch is not quite understandable now, but ... anyway.

Also a great welcome to 3Horse! Welcome to Potsdam, Germanys secret capital!
Old November 19th, 2017, 12:42 AM   #892
The Eagle

And Ladies and Gentleman! We have the finishing touches on several minor reconstructions and also the beginning of several big, big, really big reconstructions!!!
This thread is going to be very busy for the next 10 years for sure!

So if You like, escape with us to Potsdam and enjoy the new updates! Lots of pictures will await us and maybe things better and greater than the one or other orgasm!
Really orgasm worthy is the demolition of those Plattenbauten, of witch we will cover in slow motion for intensive enjoyment, guaranteed! (I should charge money for the picks)

So, let us get started with some pictures from downtown. Here we see the Old market with the block I block II and block III.
Block III will be demolished first and guess of what I got?

I got the pictures of the competitors that like to build houses here!

The yellow building that is right now on plot III used to house the teacher seminars in this corner. The city is selling all 15 plots to 9 buyers for under market value, but demands a percentage of lower income renal units. More money than welfare could afford because it is city center, but still somewhat lower in price for some units. The owners are a blend of low income associations and local private people. The stores are going to be mostly local and mostly run by owners. Every owner has to have an architect and a design for the city to see. The city can deny without telling why, but likely will tell for the purpose so that people can adjust. Here the contenders for the same plots. Some like to reconstruct more plots than the city demands as reconstructed. Some other contenders like to build more new style on the other plots that have no reconstruction demanded by the city. Some new style houses are going to be interesting!

I will now go thru all the contenders we have for the 15 buildings of Plot #III:

This is "Los #1" It is one of the four buildings that used to make the eight corner intersection. Here the view before 1945;

The first contender only has this model. The name for now is Lot or Los 1A

The second contender/bidder with the name 1B

The third contender (The names of the contenders have not been published) with the plan 1C

pictures from Konstantindegeer!

I do not understand of why the city does not demand a reconstruction of the eight corner building!
Old November 19th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #893
The Eagle

If you look at this map again, you will see the red painted parcels. Some red lots are black framed. Those with the black frame have to be reconstructed into detail.(Only three buildings) Those red colored ones without black frame should be reconstructed but it is up to the buyer of the lot! Weird decision from the city. Specially the eight corner intersection!

Let`s move into the "Schwertfeger" called little street and the designs. Most underground parking entrances and exits will be here; That is why the first contender with 1A has big gates in his model.

Anyway, this is Los 2A; This contender likes to reconstruct the number 12 and likes to use metal cobs as a homage of the old building that is going to be demolished. There are doors and delivery gates in the back courts, so there need to be public access;

This is contender 2B with basically the same idea. The 11 with metal cobs and the 12 in a new style;

This is design 2C. The contender likes to reconstruct the eight corner building instead of the number 12. This makes the story difficult. The number 11 is well, well different.

The Los/Lot 3 and 4 are kept different. Lots to discover.
Contender 3A with house "Schwertfegerstrasse 12" ;

This is contender 3B. In real life, there is the church in the background.

Contender 3C.

And here we got 3D

There is also contender 4. But for the same street;

And this is contender 4B

And contender 4C

Contender 4D. There are more contenders for this street than the others;

pictures from Konstantindegeer, thank you!

Last edited by The Eagle; November 19th, 2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old November 19th, 2017, 01:40 AM   #894
The Eagle

Now we are at the corner lot called 5. There are three lots put together and the corner building has to be a reconstruction. The address is Schwertfegerstrasse / Alter Markt. The corner building was damaged when the Nikolai church burned in 1797 and was fixed with another floor added as seen here in this picture. (Left)

Design 5A. Somehow the building is supposed to be reconstructed into every detail. Not so much here; Should not be aloud to participate;

Contender 5B

Contender 5C

Contender 5D

pictures from Konstantindegeer.

Titan Man, Notgnirracen, Roman_P liked this post
Old November 19th, 2017, 01:50 AM   #895
The Eagle

Now we continue with the lot/plot #6. The corner building to the church/Schloss has to be reconstructed. The little house in between could look in future like this:
Contender 6A

Originally it looked like this:

Contender 6B

6B again;

Contender 6C

Or 6D

Thanks, Konstantindegeer!
Old November 19th, 2017, 02:00 AM   #896
The Eagle

Witch brings us around the corner to the Schlossstrasse, facing the Schloss!

Let`s have a look at this. The number 6 is canceled to make the other street wider for the traffic. The small entrance will take only a small space compared to the old building.

This is Schlossstrasse 1-3 witch was remodeled around 100 years ago or so.

Ok, contender 7A

Contender 7B

Contender 7C

Konstantindegeer, from APH forum.
Old November 19th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #897
The Eagle

Hello, let us start with this building on the left again;

I thought and stated that the build has to be reconstructed into detail. I was wrong. If you look at the following map one will see that the city prefers a reconstruction. The plot is red, but not black framed. This explains of why one contender skipped the expansive statues on the roof. The other building on the right hand side, the one with the seven statues is mandatory to be reconstructed! I also like that most contenders like to reconstruct the corner anyway.

Let`s move around the corner, shall we?

Let`s go to the Lot # 8 or address is Schlossstrasse 5. Here in the middle:

Design of the contender 8A;

Contender 8B

And here we have 8C

Contender 8D

Contender with 8E

Konstantindegeer!

This streetfront is important. The passengers coming to town by boat will see this as first impression as well as the passengers from the railway station. Also the big road going by the Schloss comes right from Berlin. The street front design has skipped one building because the street was widened. The street will be made smaller again, it will not go back to the old dimensions. Both corner buildings are mandatory reconstructions.
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #898
The Eagle

Last but not least, to the corner building called "Ploegerischer Gasthof". Used to be a Guest house until 1810. Became town offices after and destroyed `45. Going to be a 100% reconstruction. The building will be moved of a couple of meters due to road widening. That is the same reason of why a full building was replaced by this little build opposite of the square in the Schertfeger St.:

back to the opposite, the Schloss Strasse. Design from 9A

Here 9B

9C

Contender 9D

pictures from Konstantindegeer!
Old November 19th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #899
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

All those destroyed buildings that stood there are deserving of a reconstruction, it's so sad to see something very inferior replacing them...
Old November 19th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #900
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Thanks Eagle for the updates! And all the emotion!

It seems so many of the designers, even when attempting to borrow from historic architecture, are opting for roof top sky light windows rather than dormers. The dormers, I think, are essential to help recreate the sense of the former structures. Even if the final constructions go the way of a modernist look, dormers on the slanted roof lines would significantly help link to the former appearances of the area.

Tags
potsdam, reconstruction