daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:40 PM   #101
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

It's the Ringerkolonnade which used to be part of the castle and connected it with the Marstall.

You can see it in the left part of the shot...the colonnade at the bottom is the Havelkolonnade which was completey destroyed during WW2:

Havelkolonnade:

Havelkolonnade:

Ringerkolonnade:

Other one's a fountain that was partially destroyed during WW2:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Kampflamm; October 3rd, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #102
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2088

This is a moving and impressive reconstruction. I visited Potsdam in 2006. I thought it was a haunting and poignant city. I am delighted to see the enormous scale of the reconstruction.

The Hohenzollern Palace is enormous by itself. Are there plans yet for how the building will be used?
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:13 AM   #103
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

It will be the new location of State parliament of Brandenburg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landtag_of_Brandenburg
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #104
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavier View Post
It will be the new location of State parliament of Brandenburg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landtag_of_Brandenburg
Oh - well that makes sense. I assume it was a government building in the past as well. It will certainly be a beautiful place to work.

Thanks for the info.
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #105
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

It is a nice symbol that the representatives of the people are now housed in the palaces where once the nobility lived. I think its a great new function for a palace. And I'm really curious to how the assembly hall will look.
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #106
bulabog jalaur

Likes (Received): 296

How I wish i could go back in time to witness how this piece of architecture were constructed.
Old October 4th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #107
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegate74 View Post
It all looks very nice and of course is far superior to a hole in the ground but at the end of the day it is Disneyland architecture with no historical authenticity. Its basically a modern spec concrete office complex dressed in fake neo-classical dress.

Its a shame Germany has had to hark back to past 'glories' here and has not had the courage to create something cutting edge to display the talents of its new, younger architects. Is this scheme and similar ones in Dresden really about patching up Aldstadts or erasing aspects of its more recent less savoury history.

You are revealing yourself to be a sheer fool.

It is apparent that these buildings are constructed with the same fidelity of materials and craftsmanship as their predecessors. The use of structurally reinforced concrete and the like is mandated by modern building codes due to the innovation of science and technology.

A building becomes classic because it withstands the caprices of time. These buildings are just that. Show me a piece of contemporary architecture and I'll show you a classical one which facilely bests it.
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #108
Varoš

Likes (Received): 33

Did they torn down this disgusting commie building near palace?
And it is a stupid thing that in the front of the palace is road,there could be some square.

M.W. liked this post
Varoš no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #109
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Pics taken after the war:

Everything for the peace and happiness of our homeland.

Removal in 1960:

Gone but not forgotten:

Today:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff, extrawelt liked this post
Old October 6th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #110
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58058

So touching!

Potsdam, ich liebe dich!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

extrawelt liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #111
Ingwaeone
BANNED

Likes (Received): 983

:'(
Ingwaeone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #112
friedemann

Likes (Received): 945

Amazing, all these reconstruction projects in Potsdam!
friedemann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #113
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Resurgam
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #114
TimothyR
Ike

This will definitely be worth a trip to see.

Is there a target year for the completion of the restoration, or is too early for that?
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #115
Sandstein

Likes (Received): 270

Unfortunately, they did not reconstruct the whole building but only the front.

The use of concrete and the modern interior are inappropriate.

A reconstruction has to be as accurate as possible!
Sandstein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #116
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
It all looks very nice and of course is far superior to a hole in the ground but at the end of the day it is Disneyland architecture with no historical authenticity. Its basically a modern spec concrete office complex dressed in fake neo-classical dress.

Its a shame Germany has had to hark back to past 'glories' here and has not had the courage to create something cutting edge to display the talents of its new, younger architects. Is this scheme and similar ones in Dresden really about patching up Aldstadts or erasing aspects of its more recent less savoury history.
Go back to your room.

Now!

And close the door behind you.
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #117
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Highcliff liked this post
Old October 21st, 2012, 05:01 AM   #118
HenriGermain

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

I have to agree with Bluegate. If this was built in brick, than I would consider it, but what I see on these pictures is pure kitsch.
Don't get me wrong, I am the first one to criticize modern architecture and praise the old days, but with time I realized that the way out of the immense ugliness of now days is not in escaping the aspects of our time.

So you are right saying "younger architects have had plenty of opportunities to create spaces that are cutting edge yet don't make people vomit and they have failed miserably most of the time" but that still doesn't make this building any older. You get what I mean? This isn't the kings palace, it's not even a replica of it but exactly what Bluegate called it "a modern spec concrete office complex dressed in fake neo-classical dress".

What should have been done than you ask? I have no idea. Just to imagine all the super/modern/new aggressive proposals makes me want to live in the wilderness, but who knows maybe if there was any more patience and strict rules some young architect with a healthy ego would indeed make a plan that would do well.

P.S. seeing the nazi subject rising even here almost gave me a heart attack, you Germans should really stop taking all that bull*hit. I don't see much Americans regreting their genocide over the Natives, English paying back their colonies or Jews leaving homes of the Palestinians (just to name a few). Can't stand hypocrisy!!
HenriGermain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:58 AM   #119
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58058

For years I was against concrete reconstructions as well. But really thinking about it... What does it change? Concrete is used since some 2000 years. Buildings might age differently than pure brick buildings. But at the same time, bricks were used for the Palace, too.

Without paying respect to modern construction methods and more affordable materials, reconstructions turn very expensive.

I rather have more reconstructions at A+ level all over Germany than only a few in A+++ quality.

After all, we need a massive rebuilding movement to recover our cities' beauty.

Of course we still need to pay due respect to newer architectural styles. But frankly, you really don't have to worry about that. The modernist lobby in Germany is one of the strongest on this planet and they make sure to uglify parts of our cities - so everything's smooth as usual

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Photodash liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:29 PM   #120
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
After all, we need a massive rebuilding movement to recover our cities' beauty.
There are already smaller groups that support reconstructing in cities like Nurnberg etc.
But how about to get them together to create one organization which supports and manages to rebuild old heritage all over Germany?
TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
potsdam, reconstruction