daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Old December 6th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #161
Pedro Paulo Carreira

Likes (Received): 18

É inscrível a capacidade do povo alemão de reconstruir o belo destruído. Esse palácio é belíssimo e foi vítima dessa horrorosa segunda guerra mundial.
Pedro Paulo Carreira no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 6th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #162
erbse
Alpha Bull

Likes (Received): 24142

^ Please stick to English in the international subforums of SSC. Thank you.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #163
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Paulo Carreira View Post
É inscrível a capacidade do povo alemão de reconstruir o belo destruído. Esse palácio é belíssimo e foi vítima dessa horrorosa segunda guerra mundial.
The ability of the German people to reconstruct the destroyed beauty is incredible. This palace is outstanding and was a victim of that horrible Second World War.
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #164
cilindr0

Likes (Received): 221

Any progress?
Can't wait to see it finished, in some years it will be awesome to visit Dresden, Berlin and Potsdam and see all the new reconstructions. By the way, anyone knows more reconstructions in Germany?
cilindr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #165
Varoš

Likes (Received): 6

Think that Frankfurt's old town should be reconstructed soon.Even if the reconstruction hasn't started already.
Varoš no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #166
Klassiker

Likes (Received): 31

next places which needed reconstruction urgently

1. The old city center of Berlin: the Marien Viertel (now there is virtually nothing) & Belle Alliance Platz, Wassertor Platz & Moritz Platz.
2. The city center and boulevards of Magdeburg & Justizpalast as it was!
3. Dresden: The Ring of once great buildings around the center: now there are no prewar buildings in a radius of a mile around the tiny center
4. Dresden: Postplatz, Neustädter Markt, Sachsen Platz & Ferdinand Platz as they once were.
5. Mannheim: the old city center
6. Kassel city center
7. Kassel Gründerzeit Boulevards
8. Potsdam: the old center as it was
9. Würzburg: the old city market places as it once was + Schönbornstrasse as it was.
10: Nürnberg: the old city market as it once was.

Last edited by Klassiker; December 15th, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Klassiker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #167
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 158

Sounds like a big and great challenge to me.
But how much money will this cost and which architects want to start at such a big project?
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #168
Ingwaeone
BANNED

Likes (Received): 955

I persume like a 1/10 of what Greece is receiving from Germany everyday...
Ingwaeone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #169
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 158

That's a lot of money.....
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #170
Klassiker

Likes (Received): 31

Reconstruction of 5% of what was lost.

Hello my fellow guys.

I think may plans cost a fraction of the payments to Greece, which will solve nothing at all. I have only "modest plans" for reconstruction 1% of Germany as it once was. But the 10 point plan is huge compared what the Germans are reconstructing nowadays: some palaces in and around Berlin (and then not even the interior!) and some houses in Dresden (and then not even as original as that could be). The British Hotel and Frauenkircke are the only truly reconstructed lost buildings in Germany!!! 2 out of some millions. What on earth are they doing to themselves?
My plans are more far reaching: reconstruct some 10.000 buildings and refurbish 100.000 ones to a level that they can be seen in their original beauty once more. Poles and Russians can add to these plans to refurbish buildings in Königsberg (Kaliningrad), Stettin (Sceczin), Danzig (Gdansk) and Breslau (Wroclaw). Of coarse they need not reconstruct the Gründerzeitler, but if anyone does it deserves a prize, because the Germans won't do such an act, it is not modern and rather awkward in their eues (the eyes of the leading elite, including architects).

Look for a while on www.arte4d.de

Last edited by Klassiker; December 15th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Klassiker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #171
Varoš

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassiker View Post
1. The old city center of Berlin: the Marien Viertel (now there is virtually nothing) & Belle Alliance Platz, Wassertor Platz & Moritz Platz.
2. The city center and boulevards of Magdeburg & Justizpalast as it was!
3. Dresden: The Ring of once great buildings around the center: now there are no prewar buildings in a radius of a mile around the tiny center
4. Dresden: Postplatz, Neustädter Markt, Sachsen Platz & Ferdinand Platz as they once were.
5. Mannheim: the old city center
6. Kassel city center
7. Kassel Gründerzeit Boulevards
8. Potsdam: the old center as it was
9. Würzburg: the old city market places as it once was + Schönbornstrasse as it was.
10: Nürnberg: the old city market as it once was.
Wow,that is great!I would really like to see those places in Berlin reconstructed more than anything.
Varoš no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #172
Viriatuus

Likes (Received): 577

Frankfurt and Stuttgart, even Münster and Köln, should also be in the above list.
Viriatuus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #173
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 1593

I guess it is fashionable to use a "fraction of payments to Greece" as money source for all sorts of megalomanic ideas. Never mind that there are few actual payments but rather high risk loans and that these are countered by very real costs if Greece should go bust. In any case that is a totally different topic but I just want to say that one should find a real source of finances not make up unrealistic stuff like above.
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #174
Kingofthehill
In Urbanity We Trust

Likes (Received): 20

I would love to see those Berlin reconstructions! The areas around Henrich-Heine-Straße, Mortizplatz, Jannowitzbrücke, Möckernbrücke, etc., all could use alot of help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwaeone View Post
I persume like a 1/10 of what Greece is receiving from Germany everyday...
Kingofthehill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #175
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriatuus View Post
Frankfurt and Stuttgart, even Münster and Köln, should also be in the above list.
Stuttgart is pretty much a hopeless case. Monies would be better invested in cities with more of their prewar buildings still standing.
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #176
Viriatuus

Likes (Received): 577

Hopeless case? Why?
Viriatuus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #177
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriatuus View Post
Hopeless case? Why?

Almost nothing left from pre-war to be restored and almost nothing existing worth saving. Hence, rebuilding an entire city. Not a reasonable goal at this point.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #178
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 34

Precisely.

And it only gets worse. Two years ago they ruined their railroad station which was one of the very few attractive buildings still remaining there

Link
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:26 AM   #179
Gistok
The LEGO Guy

Likes (Received): 27

I think that no city in Germany deserves more rebuilding than Nuremberg (Nürnberg). Most all larger cities in Germany destroyed their city walls for that common boulevard known as the "Ringstrasse". But Nuremberg loved its' old city walls and about 80%+ of them survive. I would even make a case to fill in the missing parts mainly on the eastern wall.

But it's Nuremberg's "Bürgerhauser" that I would like to be reconstructed... very similar to Dresden's Neumarkt, except they're mainly just individual houses. I would also like to see the few modern buildings within the Altstadt torn down. That may be tricky though since the Germanisches Museum has a lot of modern parts mixed into the old monastery that houses much of its' works.

But the nice thing about rebuilding the old patrician homes in Nuremberg, is that you don't need to rebuild historic interiors. Modern would be acceptable.

But I would like to see the city hall barrel vaulted council chamber rebuilt... one of the largest Renaissance rooms north of the alps. I thought they were planning on doing just that about 30 years ago... but I don't believe it got off the ground.

Regardless of the fact that Nuremberg was Hitler's favorite city (and one can understand why)... it should be restored. Since other historic German walled cities such as Rothenburg were damaged and restored to their original looks... I bet that a restored Nuremberg Altstadt would become a major tourist draw, far exceeding what it gets now in tourists. It once rivaled Prague as a medieval gem, but Prague lost its' city walls long ago.
Gistok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM   #180
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 1706

Well, the people of Nuremberg may have "loved" their city walls but the main reason for not turning them down were the laws by King Ludwig I. of Bavaria from 1826. A early form of heritage management which is the reason why many bavarian citys like Dinkelsbühl, Rothenburg, Kronach or Nördlingen kept their old city walls.
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
potsdam, reconstruction