daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #41
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Germany 8
Spain 10
Italy 8
Canada 6
USA 7
Bulgaria 4
Croatia 6
Slovenia 7
Serbia 2
My God Bulgaria 4, Croatia 6 and Serbia 2.
It should be forbidden for Bulgarians to vote for Serbia.
I would add also Albanians here because their hatred toward Serbia is epic, example this very known chauvinist out of all countries voted only for Serbia, I know it is his home country but still:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
Serbia - 2 : poorly maintained motorway from Belgrade to Nis. The road from Nis to the border with Kosovo feels like driving in Africa. If you are cought speeding you can easily get away with it by buying the cop a coffee (5 Euros should do it). I don't know how much coffee one can drink a day. I gave 2 points because they have built some pretty good bridges in Belgrade. The motorway in Vojvodina from Subotca to Belgrade is pretty good too. I hope they maintain it properly.

I would also notice that Polish people are so bias, they rate polish roads better than Austrian, Slovenian etc. The fact is that they lack motorways, national roads are in poor condition and lot of them crowded, and local roads are terrible I have driven trough Poland from south to north.

Last edited by Bad_Hafen; November 20th, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #42
Superkot634
Requiem for a dream

Likes (Received): 563

Unfortunately, that's right. In addition to highways, the rest of the roads are in bad shape.

Common sight, even on country roads.

Old November 20th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #43
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

It happens but it is not common so it doesn't represent real situation. This kind of pictures you can find for any country. Just type something like "bad road" in google. So stop trolling here.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #44
Beck's
Polska wielonarodowa!!

Likes (Received): 8224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Hafen View Post
The fact is that they lack motorways.
Nowadays we have around 2000 km. of motorways in use and 1000 km. underconstructed. Of course it's insufficient, we are behind most of the European Union countires, but we have made a big progress in last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
It happens but it is not common so it doesn't represent real situation. This kind of pictures you can find for any country. Just type something like "bad road" in google. So stop trolling here.
A totally agree with you. There are in Poland some national roads with bad shape like on the picture above, however is only an exeption.
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:13 AM   #45
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
That kind of statistic doesn't make any sense. The density of the road network is totally irrelevant if not compared with the population density and distribution. Oterwise countries such Australia, Canada and Scandinavian countries appear to have the worst networks of the world.
Well, there are huge swaths of the populated parts of Canada that are freewayless....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:31 AM   #46
Hayaki

Likes (Received): 92

Asia

China: 8
Japan: 10
Turkey: 8
Iran: 7
India: 5
South Korea: 9
Indonesia: 6
Malaysia: 7
Thailand: 7
Philippines: 7
Australia: 9
Hayaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:47 AM   #47
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Well, there are huge swaths of the populated parts of Canada that are freewayless....
Yes, Canada is very backwards in that it doesn't have a full highway link between Vancouver and Halifax (and it is not like only a few sectors are missing links).
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:22 AM   #48
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck's View Post
Nowadays we have around 2000 km. of motorways in use and 1000 km. underconstructed. Of course it's insufficient, we are behind most of the European Union countires, but we have made a big progress in last few years.
yes you made great progress, but you are still behind all those countries I mentioned.
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:21 AM   #49
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I'm considering only higher-profile highways/expressways, not urban streets or country roads, and I'm rating only countries where I've driven personally.

Europe
Italy - 7
France - 7
Germany - 8

North America
USA - 8

South America
Brazil - 2
Argentina - 3
Why do you think France and Italy are below USA? And why are Brazil and Argentina so low?
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:27 AM   #50
Botev1912

Quote:
one example is Vancouver, BC. They have something like a freeway Canada 1, which is a complete joke because there are a lot of curves and it's very narrow, so you can't really drive faster than 80 km/h. All other roads have traffic signals. That's why traffic in Vancouver is one of the worst in North America even though they have a skytrain. I can't imagine what it would be without it.
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:46 AM   #51
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Vancouver probably has the poorest road network of any major western city... I think even London has a better road network. Vancouver's average commute times are significantly longer than Los Angeles for instance.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:15 PM   #52
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I was thinking, really, of the lack of a national freeway network. Look at tne northern Great Plains - Montana, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Nebraska.... - and how sparsely those states are populated. Then look just north of them, to Saskatchewan, Manitoba, northern Ontario. Is there an inch of freeway in Canada between southern Ontario and Alberta outside of the big cities? I have to believe that those provinces' road system is what the roads of Montana, the Dakotas and so on would look like without the Interstate system. I mean I assume the only reason those states have freeways is that the Federal government paid for them. Which raises the question (I don't know the answer) of why nothing like that happened in Canada. Look at I-15 and I-29, which end right at the border and connect to nothing in particular. Surely a freeway from the top of I-29 to Winnipeg would seem like an obvious thing to do....

[DISCLAIMER: And I'm not picking on Canada, a country I like very much.... END DISCLAIMER]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM   #53
Botev1912

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Vancouver probably has the poorest road network of any major western city... I think even London has a better road network. Vancouver's average commute times are significantly longer than Los Angeles for instance.
I went to Vancouver in September. It took me 1 hour and 35 minutes to get to the border (100 miles) and then more than 1 hour and 30 minutes from the border to downtown Vancouver for 40 kilometers (25 miles)! It was a nightmare. And it always is. I was wondering if a Canadian wants to go from Vancouver to Toronto by car, would they take I-90 in the US? That would very funny and tragic at the same time. And don't get me wrong. I really like Canada and Vancouver, but their freeway network is worse than Serbia and Bulgaria. The only better thing is the road surface which is usually smooth.

Last edited by Botev1912; November 21st, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:11 PM   #54
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
I was thinking, really, of the lack of a national freeway network. Look at tne northern Great Plains - Montana, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Nebraska.... - and how sparsely those states are populated. Then look just north of them, to Saskatchewan, Manitoba, northern Ontario. Is there an inch of freeway in Canada between southern Ontario and Alberta outside of the big cities? I have to believe that those provinces' road system is what the roads of Montana, the Dakotas and so on would look like without the Interstate system. I mean I assume the only reason those states have freeways is that the Federal government paid for them. Which raises the question (I don't know the answer) of why nothing like that happened in Canada. Look at I-15 and I-29, which end right at the border and connect to nothing in particular. Surely a freeway from the top of I-29 to Winnipeg would seem like an obvious thing to do....

[DISCLAIMER: And I'm not picking on Canada, a country I like very much.... END DISCLAIMER]
Perhaps the question could be better put the other way round: why did the USA build interstate highways to freeway standard in very sparsely terrain where traffic densities are very low? I believe the lowest is actually less than 1 000 vehicles/day. I can't think of any other country that has built such a network.

After all, given a good standard of alignment in open country, together with little traffic, high speeds are not too much of a problem (120 km/h roughly) on non-freeway standard roads. The benefit of upgrading to freeway would seem small compared with the cost.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:20 PM   #55
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The cost of constructing freeways in states like Wyoming, Montana or North Dakota were very low, often just a few $ 100,000 per mile. A lot of land was government-owned.

Rural two-lane roads with long-distance traffic is the most dangerous road type there is. A freeway is much safer. While 1,000 vehicles per day is recorded at a few locations, those are statistical outliers. Most Interstates in rural states carry more than 7,000 - 8,000 vehicles per day. Still low, but not empty.
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:24 PM   #56
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
Perhaps the question could be better put the other way round: why did the USA build interstate highways to freeway standard in very sparsely terrain where traffic densities are very low? I believe the lowest is actually less than 1 000 vehicles/day. I can't think of any other country that has built such a network.

After all, given a good standard of alignment in open country, together with little traffic, high speeds are not too much of a problem (120 km/h roughly) on non-freeway standard roads. The benefit of upgrading to freeway would seem small compared with the cost.
These sectors with low traffic also barely have any exits at all. Sometimes exists are 20-30 miles apart.
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:59 PM   #57
ed110220

Quote:
The cost of constructing freeways in states like Wyoming, Montana or North Dakota were very low, often just a few $ 100,000 per mile. A lot of land was government-owned.

Rural two-lane roads with long-distance traffic is the most dangerous road type there is. A freeway is much safer. While 1,000 vehicles per day is recorded at a few locations, those are statistical outliers. Most Interstates in rural states carry more than 7,000 - 8,000 vehicles per day. Still low, but not empty.
Are they really? I don't think a rural two-lane road is particularly dangerous if it is open terrain, with good alignment (ie near freeway standard). Most serious accidents seem to happen on roads of a poor standard such as where there are sharp bends, steep inclines, poor sightlines with hidden intersections etc.

Can anyone else think of another country that has an extensive network of rural, relatively lightly-trafficked freeways like the USA? It seems unique to me.
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:03 PM   #58
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Japan and South Korea also have a lot of low-trafficked expressways. Often with a lot of expensive objects like tunnels and bridges. Spain also has many motorways with low volumes.
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:12 PM   #59
ed110220

Quote:
Japan and South Korea also have a lot of low-trafficked expressways. Often with a lot of expensive objects like tunnels and bridges. Spain also has many motorways with low volumes.
True, but they are not very large countries with very large sparely populated tracts like the USA or Canada. Spain is large by European standards, but I don't think it is in the same league of remoteness. I'm thinking more Australia, Russia, Brazil etc.
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM   #60
Mark19

Likes (Received): 60

hey what about, Central America, El Salvador, we have the best highways of the region
Mies Van Der Rohe

"Las mentes brillantes manejan ideas; las mentes corrientes hablan de actualidades; las mentes mediocres hablan y critican a los demás".
Eleanor Roosevelt.
Mark19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote