daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #101
Superkot634
Requiem for a dream

Likes (Received): 563

In Poland, it looks like this. Charts this year should be changed because this year was a bit of renovation.

Green - good, Red - bad, Yellow - average.

Last edited by Superkot634; November 26th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Superkot634 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #102
Sponsor

yellow is literally 'unsatisfactory' and what does it mean we can only guess.
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #103
Superkot634
Requiem for a dream

Hm... Road in this state, there is no holes or ruts. May be uneven, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #104
Beck's
Polska wielonarodowa!!

Likes (Received): 8224

Unsatisfactory means that you can drive as safe without damaging car(no ruts, potholes), but a road surface is a little bit damaged(cracks, patches) and requires some renowation in next couple of years.
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #105
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17506

São Paulo State - Road quality index.

Blue= Excellent

Red= Very bad.

Last edited by xrtn2; November 27th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #106
Serodczanin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Poland 9
The state of expressway and highways is perfect. The main road (country roads) are near to perfect too. And other roads are good or on the state little bit worse than good. Bad roads are exceptions, forget about stupid stereotypes, if they are existing. Wonderful web of roads.

Slovakia
I was long time ago so I don't remember. But they was generally good.

Czech Republic 7
Worse and more boring than in Poland. But they are good.

Greece 8
Little bit betther than Czech Republic, but I saw some roads in bed condition.

Egypt 7
Main roads are in perfect condition (I was shocked) but probably other roads was often dirty roads, where driving is uncomfortable. Culture of driving doesn't exist in this country.

Israel 8
Good roads, but nothing special.

Croatia 8
Perfect highways, genneraly every road is in good state. If to bear in mind, that is the mountain country.

Montenegro 7
If to bear in mind, that is the mountain country, roads are good. But doesn't exist 1 km of highway.

Albania 6
Generally is far to perfect. Anyways I was positive shocked about this country. I saw 10 km highway, but that wasn't highway in mind of Europe people.

Bosnia and Herzegovina 7
The next positive shock.

But everywhere except Poland was driving only on main roads. Sometimes out of them (for exaple dirty road in Egypt).
Serodczanin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #107
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serodczanin View Post
Poland 9
The state of expressway and highways is perfect. The main road (country roads) are near to perfect too. And other roads are good or on the state little bit worse than good. Bad roads are exceptions, forget about stupid stereotypes, if they are existing. Wonderful web of roads.
I know Poland made a lot of progress in recent years, but your judgment is unrealistic. Mediocre and poor national roads are still found in all parts of the country.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #108
Superkot634
Requiem for a dream

ChrisZwolle

Opinion Serdoczanin is greatly exaggerated, a fact. In Poland 100% of the national roads cannot renovate, it is not feasible. Apart from these facts, as you give Polish roads from the map?
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #109
Beck's
Polska wielonarodowa!!

Likes (Received): 8224

I think there is no such a country in the world, in which all the national roads are renovated, even more in Poland.
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #110
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

What exactly are the criteria for rating? On the one hand you could have a country that has very good infrastructure in absolute terms (ie many freeways, built to a high standard etc) but inadequate for the country's needs. On the other you could have a country with very modest roads which more than meet the needs of transport in that country. What would rank higher?

Imagine a country that was just a small island with two villages. If you built a well maintained two-lane road between them it would probably be a better solution than many of the impressive national road networks...
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #111
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Some Poles seem to be living in a fairy tale.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #112
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
What exactly are the criteria for rating?(..)
That's a good question!

I think, it would be a good idea to establish a benchmark here. In my opinion, Luxembourg should be located on the top of the list. There are virtually no bad roads in this small country.

Surface: just about perfect, very quiet and smooth, however some cracks can be found. 9

Signage: very good. They sourced the best features from their neighbours, stuck them together and got clear and aesthetic set of signs. 10

Road markings: Very clear, however I am fan of double dividing middle lane, so for that reason only 9.

Traffic calming infrastructure: Highest standard. 10

Pedestrians and cyclist infrastructure. Not sure. Maybe someone more experienced in this matter could give a clue.

Lighting. Roads are perfectly lit. 10
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #113
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Signage: very good. They sourced the best features from their neighbours, stuck them together and got clear and aesthetic set of signs. 10
I don't like signage in Luxembourg. I don't find it aesthetic at all.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #114
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
That's a good question!

I think, it would be a good idea to establish a benchmark here. In my opinion, Luxembourg should be located on the top of the list. There are virtually no bad roads in this small country.
Well, let's try to compare a country, which...never mind what.
Poland.

Quote:
Surface: just about perfect, very quiet and smooth, however some cracks can be found. 9
Newly paved roads are no less smooth or quiet to the Luxembourgian ones. However, even if the amount of newly paved roads in Poland increased significantly comparing to the last decade, it still not enough to say they are as good as LUX roads. Ruts, uneven patches, some potholes and cracks can still be found, but not to often on main trunk corridors. I would honestly rate them at 6.

Quote:
It's pretty clear and quite nice to the eye, however, because motorways became kind of novum to our country, authorities did not cope with adjusting its size correctly, neither destinations are adequate. Lack of clear motorways' and expressways' junctions numbers does not help either. 6

Quote:
Road markings: Very clear, however I am fan of double dividing middle lane, so for that reason only 9.
Not much to say about it. It's just auxiliary signage in Poland, so not that important as in countries with no winter. Average European level. Double dividing line helps to get 8 here.

Quote:
Traffic calming infrastructure: Highest standard. 10
Not very advanced yet. 4

Quote:
Pedestrians and cyclist infrastructure. Not sure. Maybe someone more experienced in this matter could give a clue.
?I know it's getting better, but if we rank the Netherlans on the top here, Poland would get no more than 4 points.

Quote:
Lighting. Roads are perfectly lit. 10
Roads in smaller towns and villages are a little too dark. Main roads' crossroads and junctions are very well lit. It's not as good as in Belgium, but far better than in Germany. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I don't like signage in Luxembourg. I don't find it aesthetic at all.
Ok. De gustibus non est disputandum. Do you find it clear?
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #115
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Luxembourg signage is okay. It's better than Belgium and France, but worse than Germany. You're the first I hear saying it's the best though.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #116
piotr71

Actually, one of the best. I would put the Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany in the same league. I rate very highly Slovak motorways signs, as well.
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #117
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71
Actually, one of the best. I would put the Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany in the same league. I rate very highly Slovak motorways signs, as well.
The number 4 in Slovakia has a weird font...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #118
piotr71

I had to check it. It's nice
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #119
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17506

Oranges lanes?
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #120
piotr71

Yes. I kind of like this thread, so will do some more rating, if you let me to do so.

It should be one more, very important criteria added:

Fast roads' grid density. By fast roads I mean all motorways, out of urban area dual carriageways, single, grade separated carriageways as well as Swedish style 2+1 roads.

Well, let's start with Luxembourg.

I think, fast roads' network in this tiny land is pretty much sufficient. Apart from motorways, there is quite a number of 2+1 roads with 100km/h speed limit. Would you agree if I rate it 8?

Poland.
Well. 3

Let me add up numbers for all categories, divide them by the number of categories and see the score. Categories I have not rated will be awarded with 5.

Luxembourg 8.71

Poland 5.57

I think there is no benchmark on the list above. Let's find it, then.
Next, Belgium and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.