daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #141
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19377

Traffic calming has two meanings;

* speed reduction devices, for example at entrances of city limits.
* the concept of capping or even reducing traffic volumes by force, such as closing streets to through traffic or implementing numerous unnecessary speed bumps to make a road unattractive.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #142
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Something I have noticed about US roads: Interstates near big cities where there is a lot of traffic are in the worst condition. Roads inside big cities where there is a lot of traffic are in mediocre condition. State highways are in very good to perfect condition. Interstates in rural areas where there is no traffic are in really good condition. Roads in suburbs and rural places are in very good or perfect condition.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #143
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
I'll rate my country with piotr71's system, as I think it describes a country's road network very well.

[B]Spain.
On the other hand, interchanges may be pretty low-standard compared to the ones in Germany or the UK, with many one-lane flyovers and tight corners, and some expressways are built with very low design standards (narrow lanes, small shoulders, tight corners). But I guess every country has this kind of motorways. I give it a 9.5.
I would, without hesitation, rate 10 here. I visited your country long time ago, however, even then, Spanish fast roads' network was pretty impressive. Yes, I remember quite curvy expressway going from Seville to Madrid but it's still high standard fast road.

Last edited by piotr71; November 30th, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #144
piotr71

Ok. Time to finish Belgium has come.

Network:
Network of motorways and motorway-like roads here is with no doubts one of
the most impressive in Europe. 10

Surface:
Would one say horrible? Yes, it's possible to see some severely damaged roads here. Fraction of such roads is probably highest in western Europe, however alongside these bad roads we may find really good and even excellent stretches. It is highly possible to cross the country not seeing a pothole or a crack. In contrary to Britain, which is in 80% covered with mediocre or slightly worse roads and only 20% good or excellent, Belgium has 10-15% really badly surfaced roads, about 50% average ones and the rest is in excellent condition. 5

Signage:
It's quite readable and pretty clear, but sometimes packed up with too much information or too many destinations. You, more often than anywhere else, may see dirty or hidden in bushes signs. 5

Road markings:
Nothing to complain about. I do not have any issues with them, however do no find it excellent. It's just good. 7

Traffic calming infrastructure:
Really good. As most Western European countries, Belgium has nothing to be ashamed about. 10

Pedestrians and cyclist infrastructure:
One of the best in Europe. 10

Lighting:

By now:

Luxembourg 8.71

Belgium 8.14

United Kingdom 7.57

Spain 7.1 (rated by verreme)

Poland 5.57

Last edited by piotr71; November 30th, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:10 AM   #145
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

I would rate my own country lower on cyclist infrastructure. If the Dutch deserve a 10 we should get an 8 or a 7.

While cycle paths are in place almost everywhere, at least half of them are lower quality than in the Netherlands. With that I mean: The width, the pavement, maintenance (sweeping the gravel of them, cutting back the weeds, adding new coloured asphalt.

That only counts for Flanders. For Wallonia I would rate cyclist infrastructure much lower. Most places don't even have cyclist infrastructure in place...Also Wallons don't cycle in general...

Last edited by joshsam; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote