daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Old April 14th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #21
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
I agree with the others. I've lived in Raleigh, NC for 9 years, and I haven't been to Atlanta, but I've been to every other major city on the east pretty much. Atlanta has a bad reputation for crime, and it has a lack of attractions as well. It's inland location isn't helpful either. Atlanta seems to be at the moment more of a business/regional weekend vacation type city more than anything else. Atlanta seems to have a long way to go before it has the appeal that Philly, Charleston, DC, Baltimore, etc. have for visitors. That being said, I think it is far more appealing than charlotte or jacksonville.
I tend to stop reading at the point where someone says "I haven't been to (insert city), but it's __________. If you haven't been there, then you have no idea what you're talking about. Period!
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #22
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Compared to most other major metro areas of comparable size Atlanta has no major natural features/attractions, limited art centers and museums, smaller/less notable festivals and cultural events, and a limited variety of tourist attractions. Put simply, no normal family is going to spend a week's vacation visiting Atlanta. Businessmen love it because its efficient that way, but families and vacationing folk... not so much.

I've spent the better part of my 40+ years showing friends and family the area when they come to visit, and we can have a real blast. Having good company helps. But in terms of truly unique and special attractions that make it a place people want to spend casual time visiting, Atlanta has a shorter list of assets compared to places like Boston, Philly, DC, Miami, etc. I simply wish that wasn't the case.
I have a completely different view, as do many others. Either the things you and I think of as unique and interesting just don't match up or you're still missing a lot of what the city offers.

Try embracing the things your city of 40 years does have rather than complaining about what it lacks and you might discover many previously unknown treasures.

Last edited by WeimieLvr; April 14th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #23
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Yes, both Baltimore and Charelston have more appeal. In all fairness, without the water Charleston would just be a day trip kind of town. But is has the water and with it can entertain for longer.
I don't know of one person that has ever gone to Atlanta for pleasure. I know lots that have moved there, and lots of people that like it there but it doesn't come up in vactaion conversations. Maybe it does in Charlotte, seein' as how it is the closest big city.
You may not personally know anyone who has vacationed in Atlanta, but I assure you it happens. Often. As for why, it would be a good idea to ask one of those people who are vacationing here. Before I moved here, I used to visit for 1.the nightlife and 2.the attractions. Both were (and still are) far above most other cities in the South and are a big reason for the interest in visiting Atlanta.
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #24
kingchef

Likes (Received): 0

i know this may not be the majority's thing, but atlanta, at one time, had the best drag comedy and drag reviews of any city outside of nyc, outside of la. too, plenty of excellent dining, music, and dancing scenes. i use to love sitting on top of the hill over by the federal prison, i like the architecture, swann house, etc., etc. one thing that i like about atlanta is the feeling that it caters to adults, instead of two or three kids on each arm. i just don't see that not finding something to do in and around atlanta---stone mountain, botanical gardens, shopping---isn't a problem w/ atlanta. finally, i think, generally, i have seen more criticism and discontent about the city in the last years' posts than i remember...don't know if that is right, but i sort have seen it appear from time to time. it is a great town, and i think it represents the south well.
kingchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #25
spencer114

Likes (Received): 128

wrong thread...
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #26
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by IberiaCLT View Post
Baltimore and Charleston is more appealing than Atlanta?

Atlanta is easily tied with DC and Philadelphia and a far cry above Baltimore and Charleston doesn't come close to the mass tourist appeal Atlanta has. Atlanta has a huge options of top notch attractions. You could spend an entire day just at that Olympic Park with CNN, Coke, GA aquarium, random events in the park, and all other kinds of things. Just at the edges of that one park.

You say that about Atlanta because you have never been. Atlanta is just as great as DC. For different reasons but still just as great in its own ways.
I speak from the perspective of someone who has never been to Atlanta, which is what counts. The perception outsiders have of Atlanta is what is holding Atlanta back. And Charleston has been rated multiple times as the best city to visit in the US, with the nicest people, its a coastal city, and its awesome. And Baltimore has the world's best aquarium supposedly, and it's proximity to DC and philly makes it an easy place to visit, that's the only reason I mentioned it.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #27
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
I speak from the perspective of someone who has never been to Atlanta, which is what counts. The perception outsiders have of Atlanta is what is holding Atlanta back. And Charleston has been rated multiple times as the best city to visit in the US, with the nicest people, its a coastal city, and its awesome. And Baltimore has the world's best aquarium supposedly, and it's proximity to DC and philly makes it an easy place to visit, that's the only reason I mentioned it.
I know that...and your perception of a city that you've never visited and only have knowledge of through hearsay is obviously not correct. Sorry. It's kind of a silly premise to even discuss something with a person who has no real knowledge of it.
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #28
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
I know that...and your perception of a city that you've never visited and only have knowledge of through hearsay is obviously not correct. Sorry. It's kind of a silly premise to even discuss something with a person who has no real knowledge of it.
I've read enough, and talked to enough people to know that there's no rush to visit Atlanta. I'd say 6/7 people I've talked to have said that they would never want to live in Atlanta, and that there's no real reason to visit Atlanta. As I said, I am probably the only person who hasn't visited Atlanta recently (I actually was there when I was 12, but I don't remember much). And therefore, I offer a unique perspective of Atlanta, one without the bias that you people who have been there have.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #29
chiatldalcity

Quote:
I've read enough, and talked to enough people to know that there's no rush to visit Atlanta. I'd say 6/7 people I've talked to have said that they would never want to live in Atlanta, and that there's no real reason to visit Atlanta. As I said, I am probably the only person who hasn't visited Atlanta recently (I actually was there when I was 12, but I don't remember much). And therefore, I offer a unique perspective of Atlanta, one without the bias that you people who have been there have.
Atlanta is the 7th most visited city in the United States, and 12th most visited city for foreign visitors. Atlanta is really known for hip hop and R&B music, During the 90s the city actually had a problems with too many visiting for events like Freaknik. Atlanta is also generally a popular city among blacks, BET have 2 awards show annually, whether or not Atlanta live's up to the attention is another story but Atlanta is generally a popular city.

A lot people also come for the Civil right history MLK Church, where he’s buried and his child hood home all are in Atlanta. Anime Weekend Atlanta is the 8th largest anime convention in the United States. Dragon Con is Also another major event related to that culture it draws over 40,000 annually. Some one brought up a Aquarium? the Georgia Aquarium next to Centennial Olympic Park is largest in the World. The CNN Center is also around Centennial Olympic Park. Stone Mountain, Lake Lanier and other physical features draw tourism as well, Numerous civil war sites, Atlanta by Traveler magazine is one the acclaimed Places of a Lifetime so reviews of Atlanta aren’t that bad.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...l/city-guides/

Your making the assertion base on your experience of not knowing about Atlanta that it isn't a popular place to visit. When this contradicts the people who do visit Atlanta and Atlanta being one of the most visited cities in the US. Your Using Circular reasoning most who don't know about a city of course they will not be interested in visiting. So how about actually learning about a place first to actually be qualify to have an opinion? But again never minds that's only your experience because it contradicts the amount of people who actually comes to Atlanta for tourism. I not saying you would like Atlanta “I don’t know” but Charleston and Baltimore aren’t really comparable to the size of Atlanta hospitality market.
chiatldalcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #30
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
I'd say 6/7 people I've talked to have said that they would never want to live in Atlanta, and that there's no real reason to visit Atlanta.
The running joke for a long time, and this was even put onto T-shirts, bumper stickers, etc, was to flip the popular travel adage: "Atlanta - A great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there!"

I think metro Atlanta is indeed a great place to live. Obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr
I have a completely different view, as do many others. Either the things you and I think of as unique and interesting just don't match up or you're still missing a lot of what the city offers.
Fair enough. My take on the city is definitely tainted by some very idealistic visions of what could be. I tend to judge cities as much for their untapped potential as for what's actually there, and Atlanta has soooo much potential.
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #31
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
The fabled Atl-Chattanooga marriage is taking longer than the pundits projected 10 years ago, but the corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte seems to still be very strong.

Speaking of the "Raleigh Charlotte Corridor", I85 from Kings Mountain NC (Right at the SC border towards Spartanburg/Greenville/Gaffney SC) is pretty soon going to be 6-8 lanes all the way to Raleigh at the top the state. Soon being relative to construction, etc.

For those not familiar with our state,

I85 passes near some of our largest Metros

Charlotte Metro - 1,758,038
Winston Salem Metro - 477,717
Greensboro Metro - 723,801
Triangle Metro - 1,130,490

A 2000 Population map of NC blue line being 85, and our population grew like crazy along 85 from 2000-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Yes, both Baltimore and Charelston have more appeal. In all fairness, without the water Charleston would just be a day trip kind of town. But is has the water and with it can entertain for longer.
I don't know of one person that has ever gone to Atlanta for pleasure. I know lots that have moved there, and lots of people that like it there but it doesn't come up in vactaion conversations. Maybe it does in Charlotte, seein' as how it is the closest big city.
Washington DC ain't much farther from Metro Charlotte than Atlanta. I could've went to either. Odd Atlanta is a regional tourist city yet Charleston is? Myrtle Beach even blows Charleston out of the water for tourism.

Quote:

Baltimore has the worlds best Aquarium? Atlanta's Georgia Aquarium is above and beyond Baltimore's. Atlanta has 2.2 million visitors a year to their aquarium, compared 1.4 million for Baltimore's.... petty fact, but it just goes to show people shouldn't talk about places they never been to.

I speak of the perspective of having been to DC, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Houston, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Columbia SC, Norfolk, Sarasota FL, Miami, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, New Orleans, Mobile, Dayton, Cinnci, columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Hershey PA, Harrisburgh PA, and others. Atlanta is 2nd behind New Orleans (my favorite) and above 3rd (Washington DC).

I don't see why it's anymore acceptable to vacation in say Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Minneapolis, San Antonio, etc. more than Atlanta.
IberiaCLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #32
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 6

To get this thread back on topic, I present stats probably no one cares about: July 1, 2011 Metro Estimates for Alabama!

Birmingham-Hoover 1,132,264
Huntsville 425,480
Mobile 412,577
Montgomery 378,608

Tuscaloosa 221,553
Florence-Muscle Shoals 147,293
Dothan 146,562
Auburn-Opelika 143,468
Anniston-Oxford 117,797
Gadsden 104,303
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #33
fubo

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by IberiaCLT View Post
I don't see why it's anymore acceptable to vacation in say Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Minneapolis, San Antonio, etc. more than Atlanta.
Other than Chicago I cannot imagine anyone choosing any of the other cities on your list nor Atlanta as a vacation DESTINATION. A stopover perhaps, but a destination? really? REALLY?

I have been to Houston, Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta on business and the thought of going back to any of them for a vacation would only beg the question... why? There is nothing particularly compelling about any of them. Chain restaurants, and strip plaza's like anywhere USA. Unless you had family there why would you go?
fubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #34
chiatldalcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
Other than Chicago I cannot imagine anyone choosing any of the other cities on your list nor Atlanta as a vacation DESTINATION. A stopover perhaps, but a destination? really? REALLY?

I have been to Houston, Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta on business and the thought of going back to any of them for a vacation would only beg the question... why? There is nothing particularly compelling about any of them. Chain restaurants, and strip plaza's like anywhere USA. Unless you had family there why would you go?
I just stated numerous reasons why. It could be any where for the Georgia Aquarium, Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site, The CNN center to the numerous events held in the city and etc. I not trying to convince any one to visit Atlanta, I'm just think it's weird that yall are saying Atlanta isn't a destination when it's the 7th most visited city in the country for tourism.

Also those are talking points each of those cities have many national register of historic land marks, interesting neighborhoods and attractions. Pittsburgh is a little small so it's not fair putting it in the same box as the others. But Atlanta, Dallas and Houston are among the top cities for dinning. Dallas is known for high end shopping, The DFW region itself is known for the Arts, FT Worth Has the stock yard and other stuff associating with being a historic western town. Houston is home the Johnson Space Center, Houston has the 2nd largest Theater District in the US. And Galveston is known for it's architecture, and you can go on a cruise also.
chiatldalcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #35
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 11776

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
To get this thread back on topic, I present stats probably no one cares about: July 1, 2011 Metro Estimates for Alabama!

Birmingham-Hoover 1,132,264
Huntsville 425,480
Mobile 412,577
Montgomery 378,608

Tuscaloosa 221,553
Florence-Muscle Shoals 147,293
Dothan 146,562
Auburn-Opelika 143,468
Anniston-Oxford 117,797
Gadsden 104,303
I was a bit surprised at that Huntsville number. It's the second largest metro in Alabama? Not bad for a city that only came into its own after 1960. By all rights Mobile should be twice as large. it has to be one of the most underrated cities in the US.
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #36
CVG

Estimated growth the past year, the darker the blue the more growth, darker red bigger decline.

CVG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #37
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I was a bit surprised at that Huntsville number. It's the second largest metro in Alabama? Not bad for a city that only came into its own after 1960. By all rights Mobile should be twice as large. it has to be one of the most underrated cities in the US.
Mobile MSA still doesn't include Baldwin County. I understand that the resident commuter % doesn't meet the requirement, but still most of Baldwin County is economically tied to the city of Mobile. Only the southern fifth of the county - the beach zone - is economically independent of Mobile. With Baldwin, Mobile MSA would be right around 600k.

Huntsville's growth is truly remarkable.

Last edited by ttownfeen; April 17th, 2012 at 04:38 AM.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #38
annie_himself

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldalcity View Post
I just stated numerous reasons why. It could be any where for the Georgia Aquarium, Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site, The CNN center to the numerous events held in the city and etc. I not trying to convince any one to visit Atlanta, I'm just think it's weird that yall are saying Atlanta isn't a destination when it's the 7th most visited city in the country for tourism.

Also those are talking points each of those cities have many national register of historic land marks, interesting neighborhoods and attractions. Pittsburgh is a little small so it's not fair putting it in the same box as the others. But Atlanta, Dallas and Houston are among the top cities for dinning. Dallas is known for high end shopping, The DFW region itself is known for the Arts, FT Worth Has the stock yard and other stuff associating with being a historic western town. Houston is home the Johnson Space Center, Houston has the 2nd largest Theater District in the US. And Galveston is known for it's architecture, and you can go on a cruise also.
Don't you mean business? Atlanta has the worlds busiest airport, I'm sure the visitors are there on business and not vacation.
Houston and Atlanta get millions of visitors but they are not vacation destinations, remember though, I like Atlanta.

Thats like saying New Orleans' 4 million visitors were there on business.
annie_himself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #39
fubo

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Don't you mean business? Atlanta has the worlds busiest airport, I'm sure the visitors are there on business and not vacation.
Houston and Atlanta get millions of visitors but they are not vacation destinations, remember though, I like Atlanta.

Thats like saying New Orleans' 4 million visitors were there on business.
My point exactly, If I am going to hop on any fly to a city for art galleries or museums it's gonna be NY or DC not Atlanta. if I happen to be there on business I might check out the local regional museums and such. But sorry I am not gonna haul the wife and kids to Atlanta to see the CNN offices
fubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #40
annie_himself

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
My point exactly, If I am going to hop on any fly to a city for art galleries or museums it's gonna be NY or DC not Atlanta. if I happen to be there on business I might check out the local regional museums and such. But sorry I am not gonna haul the wife and kids to Atlanta to see the CNN offices
Exactly why I wouldn't go to Atlanta to hangout in Centennial Park or Magic City, but if I was there, I would love to go.

This site has the best smilies.
annie_himself no está en línea   Reply With Quote