daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What should be the speed limit on highways?
no speed limit, limited only temporarily for some reason. 37 36.63%
140 km / h. As requested by certain groups in Spain. 19 18.81%
130 km / h. As in France and in other European countries. 38 37.62%
120 km / h. Current limit in Spain. 9 8.91%
I have no opinion on the matter. 1 0.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #21
twentyfivetacos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
None, you should be watching the road not your speedometer.

Speed limits, especially at night, make no sense...
If you can't drive at the correct speed limit without looking at your speedometer then you're obviously retarded.
twentyfivetacos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #22
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

120 or 130 are fine. 140 might already be too fast for older and/or very small cars, thus introducing a second speed differential (besides the one between normal cars and trucks) which doesn't make driving safer on 2 lane motorways. Besides, fuel consumption often starts to go up pretty steeply above 130. Even faster than 140 is downright dangerous as such speeds effectively reduce the chance of surviving an accident to zero even when you're driving a more expensive and better constructed vehicle.
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #23
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #24
julesstoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfivetacos View Post
If you can't drive at the correct speed limit without looking at your speedometer then you're obviously retarded.
Or just tone deaf (no pun intended).
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #25
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
Or just tone deaf (no pun intended).
In a normal car ( not tin can) you don't really hear your engine...

Besides, theres this thing called a radio + amplifier, it usually makes driving far better...
Quote:
Thanks for calling me retarded, but without cruise control it's to hard, I don't see the point in going slow when you can go fast. Empty motorway = 200+ km/h in my opinion.
Quote:
120 or 130 are fine. 140 might already be too fast for older and/or very small cars,
Nonsense, even in a rubbish Aygo of a classmate I managed 150 km/h... An old pug 106 1.3 also easily does 180... But, nobody is forcing you to drive fast, grandpa can still poot about at 120 km/h.
Quote:
thus introducing a second speed differential (besides the one between normal cars and trucks) which doesn't make driving safer on 2 lane motorways.
So, roads are more than safe enough already, especially in Holland, but compare to to Nordrein Westfalen, a state with about the same density as Holland, and you can see that there aren't more deaths there on motorways than here ( I know Germany as a whole is a bit unsafer, but if you compare per-state...).
Quote:
Besides, fuel consumption often starts to go up pretty steeply above 130. Even faster than 140 is downright dangerous as such speeds effectively reduce the chance of surviving an accident to zero even when you're driving a more expensive and better constructed vehicle.
So what? People want to go fast they go fast, people want to go slow they go slow. And again, that is none of the governments business to meddle with that, if someone wants to go faster it should be their choice.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #26
julesstoop

Whatever you want man. I can just say I'm perfectly happy not to agree with you. And a government obviously has every right to impose a speed limit: they design and build the roads (your racetrack) remember.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #27
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #28
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2294

+∞
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #29
i15

Likes (Received): 613

I drive in central europian countries, where speed limit is 130km/h and most drivers drive between 110 and 130km/h, so I think this limit is OK. On longer trips you can speed a little (140kmh) without risk of a fine.
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #30
i15

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Nonsense, even in a rubbish Aygo of a classmate I managed 150 km/h... An old pug 106 1.3 also easily does 180... But, nobody is forcing you to drive fast, grandpa can still poot about at 120 km/h.
According to technical specifications, my renault clio can drive 170km/h, but it's getting quite unconfortable driving faster than 130 and at 150 I feel like it's going to fly up.

I agree, that it's unsafe to create another speed differential (trucks 80-90, normal cars 120-130, fast cars 150+).
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #31
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Usually motorways are being designed for a speed of 120-130 km/h, with a safety-margin up to 140 km/h. At the design speed the standard vehicle should be able to drive safe under normal circumstances.

At speeds of 140 km/h or more, the superelevation applied in curves could prove not te be enough, especialy in rainy conditions (or when the weather is worse), or when your tires are no longer in top-condition. At a speed of 160 km/h or more, on a road designed for 120-130 km/h, the risk of getting off the road in horizontal and vertical curves increases severely.

However, if roads could be designed for 200-300 km/h, this problem could be solved. This would create horizontal (and vertical !) alignements like those being applied on high speed rail lines, which is rather expensive. Unfortunately for speeding fans the risks of severe collisions will rise significantly, when speed differences between cars are on the increase - and that's often the case on motorways.

I think it is best designing motorways on 120-130 km/h (75-80 mph),
have a speed limit between 130-140 km/h (80-85 mph),
and fine heavily from 160 km/h (100 mph).

Last edited by aswnl; April 9th, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #32
TheFlyPL

Likes (Received): 1

Ha in Poland we already have 140km/h speed limit . I think it is quite adequate for nowadays cars.
TheFlyPL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #33
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyPL View Post
Ha in Poland we already have 140km/h speed limit . I think it is quite adequate for nowadays cars.
There is nothing much to be done in regard of superelevation, regardless of how good modern cars are.
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #34
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9158

Maybe a lot of cars can drive safely at higher speeds, but this is going to be quite more fuel inefficient (which is actually a problem for the one who's filling the tank) but also more ecology inefficient (which already becomes a problem for all others). So sticking to the standard speed limits may be good idea.
I say it at a moment when Bulgaria's government wants to vote a rise of the speed limit from 130 to 140 on motorways and from 90 to 120 on expressways (such didn't exist in the legislation until now). I still feel like 130 on motorways and 110 on expressways would be enough. Especially for a country like Bulgaria, where road surface quality is not the best at many places.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #35
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyPL View Post
Polish motorways are straight.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #36
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Yep, Polish motorways are straight, mostly new and of very good quality, low traffic volumes and few exits. Good recipe for high speed limits.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #37
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Usually motorways are being designed for a speed of 120-130 km/h, with a safety-margin up to 140 km/h. At the design speed the standard vehicle should be able to drive safe under normal circumstances.

At speeds of 140 km/h or more, the superelevation applied in curves could prove not te be enough, especialy in rainy conditions (or when the weather is worse), or when your tires are no longer in top-condition. At a speed of 160 km/h or more, on a road designed for 120-130 km/h, the risk of getting off the road in horizontal and vertical curves increases severely.

However, if roads could be designed for 200-300 km/h, this problem could be solved. This would create horizontal (and vertical !) alignements like those being applied on high speed rail lines, which is rather expensive. Unfortunately for speeding fans the risks of severe collisions will rise significantly, when speed differences between cars are on the increase - and that's often the case on motorways.

I think it is best designing motorways on 120-130 km/h (75-80 mph),
have a speed limit between 130-140 km/h (80-85 mph),
and fine heavily from 160 km/h (100 mph).
Can you post or write the links of this grapics please?
arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #38
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yep, Polish motorways are straight, mostly new and of very good quality, low traffic volumes and few exits. Good recipe for high speed limits.
As German - from Upper Silesia to Eindhoven at 8,5h, as I once heard.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #39
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4733

130 km/h is quite good.
A l'aube du cinquičme jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #40
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

120-130km/h and in the city a minimum of 100km/h.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highway